/ About / Pubs / The White Lion



This pub stood alongside the Chard Canal at its junction with the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal and was frequented regularly by boatmen on both canals.

The Bridgwater and Taunton Canal opened in 1842 and was used regularly for commercial use until 1907. The Chard Canal opened in 1842 and closed only 25 years later in 1867.

The photo to the right was taken in 1975 just before its demolition. The lock keepers cottage (pulled down in the 1950s), was an almost identical building and stood next to the pub.

The White Lion was situated roughly just to the south of Crufts Meadow as shown on the map to the left (click to enlarge).

Article by Nigel Finch, January 2011