/ About / Village Hall / Minutes May 2016



MEETING OF THE CREECH ST MICHAEL VILLAGE HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

AT THE VILLAGE HALL

FRIDAY, 20th MAY 2016

 

Present:   Iris Chown,  John Davenport, Liz Evans, Robert Harris, Lynn Gates, Peter Savage and Gill Underhay..

1. Apologies: Peggy Cartwright and Chris Roberts.

2. Minutes of the Last Meeting were accepted as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

3. Matters Arising – Trust Deed.  Iris had been unsuccessful in speaking to the solicitor concerned.  She would try again on Monday and state this would be needed for the Hallmark inspection on 22nd July.

4. Correspondence

Emails had been forwarded, mainly from Community Council.  Gill had heard from Somerset County Council regarding asbestos in buildings and it was confirmed that there was no asbestos in the building.  She had also heard from Electoral Services regarding use of the hall for polling day on 23rd May.  It had been agreed however that use of the ground floor committee room by hirers could go ahead as normal.

5.  Treasurer's Report

John referred to the accounts, year ended 31st March 2016.  The financial statement would be done in a similar format to previous years.  Income was £14,600 expenditure was £13,600 and cash balance was £21,400.  A declaration would need to be signed by the Chairman and all other Trustees.  The investment assets (building) was £500,000.  John felt that the notes to the Trustees were important.  1) Accounts had been prepared on a receipt and payment basis and do not include any accruals or prepayments 2) The village hall valuation is based on an insurance valuation dated 24 January 2014. (It needed to be updated every five years.  3) No declaration has been made to HM Revenue and Customs for “fees” paid.  All have been treated on an invoice type basis.  As such declaration to HM Customs and Excise were left to the individual.  We do not have anybody on our payroll.  John was meeting with Mike Evans to discuss the accounts shortly.  It was agreed by the Trustees to sign the annual accounts.  John then referred to the accounts to the end of April. There was £786 profit, balance in bank £22,192.  John referred to the fact that in the Trust Deed only Trustees could authorise payment which meant that neither he nor Gill could authorise payments.  Short Mat Bowls had still not paid their insurance premium but Gill said that it would appear that they were querying whether they already had their own insurance.  It was agreed that we would need a copy of the policy.

 

6.  Financial Control Policy

Gill had distributed copies previously and it was discussed.  We now have four cheque signatories. Members of the committee should read it through again and if anything needed to be altered Gill would do so.  John said that having adopted the policy we would be audited to that policy in future.

7.  Section 106 money – update

The architect had been out and measured up.  He found some drawings on the council website which would save money.  We were awaiting an update on what was happening.  John warned we would have to pay upfront charges before we could claim it back.   Robert said we would be able to change the lighting in the hall as part of the improvements.   Liz said we would need to let the insurance company know of any changes so it was agreed that the plans should be sent to them once work had been agreed. A discussion took place on kitchen alterations and Gill was concerned that the cooker be moved to a safer position.

            

8.  Hallmark

Gill and Iris had met to discuss this and it was agreed that John should be invited to the next meeting.  Gill said there was a requirement that yellow strips should be placed in front of the fire exits. The inspection would be on Friday, 22nd July, at 12 noon.  Beforehand we need to touch up paintwork and tidy the hall.  Iris would contact members with a date.  Also we need to have a run through of the Hallmark requirements Friday 15th July (later changed to noon after the coffee morning 9th July).

10. Arrangements for AGM

This would be held on Friday, 17th June and Iris explained what was involved. 

Booking Secretary’s Report

Gill apologised she had not printed out her report.  Bookings remained much the same but the Steps class had moved and we now had a taekwando class.  The Blood Bank owed us for parking charges and also parking fees.  She would follow up.  The Baptist Church would be holding their holiday club as usual and a discussion took place on what to charge them.  After discussion it was agreed that we would not charge them for the use of the hall.

11. Caretaker's Report

Gill would get key holders to sign a list.  We had a breakdown of the fire alarm and a new one had been fitted.  The code was USER.  We had also had a demonstration of the various extinguishers.  John was concerned that during the demonstration it had been stated that under health and safety legislation it was believed that volunteers were considered employees.  Liz agreed to contact the insurers.

12.  Review of Risk Assessments completed -  Several things had arisen since we'd looked into Hallmark and Gill would be revising the risk assessments paperwork.   

13.  Review of entries in Accident/Fire Book – Nothing had been entered since the last meeting.

14.  Any Other Business

Keys – After discussion it was agreed that a locked key box should be installed with a code.  Gill would do that.

Carey Grove Park – The parish council did not want it and Lynn said Taunton Deane could use some Section 106 money towards it.  We did not want to maintain it as a play area but we would like to take it over as a general area at the rear of our hall.

Minutes – it had been suggested that these could be put on the website and Iris agreed to do that.

 

15. Date of Next Meeting – The meeting closed at 8.45pm.  Date of next meeting AGM 17th June 2016.

Action

 

IC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JD

All

 

 

 

 

IC

 

 

 

 

 

GU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LE

 

 

 

 

 

JD

 

 

 

All

 

 

All

 

 

 

 

GU

 

 

 

 

GU

 

 

LE

 

 

 

GU

 

 

 

GU

 

 

 

 

IC

 

All