/ News / Archives / 2012 / 9



Agenda for Monday 1st October Parish Council Meeting 2012-09-28 10:19:11
Announcement from Creech St Michael Parish Council   Parish Council meeting on Monday 1st October 2012 at Creech Village Hall, 7pm.   The Agenda for the Monday 1st October 2012 Parish Council meeting is now available online.   Steve Altria Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council
Creech gets its own Portable Automated Defibrillator 2012-09-23 17:02:40
Article submitted by Nigel Finch, reproduced from a circulated flyer   Working with the management and staff of The Bell Inn, Somerset County Councillor, David Fothergill, has funded the installation of a portable automated defibrillator (AED) into the pub.   This is a vital part of an initiative to improve health and wellbeing in rural areas.   In the event of a cardiac arrest immediate first aid is vital – often far too short a time in rural areas for a paramedic to arrive. Minutes saved will save lives.   If you would like to hear more and learn from St John Ambulance how to use the AED in case of an emergency then come along to The Village Hall, Creech St Michael, Friday 12th October 7pm to 8pm.   The AED is an important facility for Creech. Villagers are encouraged to attend the presentation by St John Ambulance and learn how to use it, as one day anyone may need to use it.   [caption id="attachment_1419" align="aligncenter" width="503"] St John demonstrating the defibrillator to David Fothergill[/caption] The AED is kept in The Bell Inn for anyone who needs to use it.
Draft minutes for September Creech Parish Council meeting published 2012-09-17 11:54:27
Announcement from Creech St Michael Parish Council   The draft minutes for the 3rd September 2012 Parish Council meeting are now available online in the Parish Council section on the website.   In order that minutes are publicised as soon as possible after Parish Council meetings, with effect from August 2012 minutes will be recorded on this website soon after the meeting in ‘DRAFT’ format.   Any amendments to the draft minutes, when the minutes are approved by full Council, will be shown in the ‘approval of minutes’ section of the minutes for the following meeting.   Steve Atria Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council
Recreation Field Installation of Play Equipment update 2012-09-17 09:44:36
Article submitted by Clare Sampson, Chairman Creech St Michael Parish Council   Creech St Michael Parish Recreation Field   Installation of Play Equipment update - September 2012     The Parish Council have been working with TDBC to provide new play equipment at the recreation field, using funds provided by the developer of the new Hyde Lane housing estate.   After speaking with children and parents in the parish it has been decided to provide three play areas, one for toddlers, one for primary age children and lastly a 'MUGA' (Multi use games area) that is great for teenagers, children of all ages and adults alike.  The MUGA can be used for games like football and basketball and is suitable for use all year and in any weather.   Provision and installation of the play equipment is a significant contract.  Therefore in order to demonstrate fairness and best value in our selection of a contractor we are following a tender process set out for us by Taunton Deane.   The first stage of this tender process (a pre-qualification questionnaire) to gather details of interested companies, score them on suitability and short list is underway .  Interested contractors can find details of this contract at www.mytenders.org  tender No 92738 or from the parish clerk clerk@creechstmichael.net   We will send 'invitations to tender' by 19th October.  We aim to receive tenders, make site visits to see their work and then select a contractor just before Christmas.   Rather than using a consultant the parish council took the decision to undertake the tender process ourselves, therefore ensuring all the monies available are spent on play equipment rather than administration.  (Parish Councillors are volunteers).   It is possible that we may be hampered by inclement weather carrying out the works during the winter, however, it is our goal to have the new play equipment in place by the end of February 2013.   If you have any questions regarding this notice, please do feel free to speak with any member of the Parish Council or contact the parish clerk.   Clare Sampson for Creech St Michael Parish Council
Creech Twinning Function 20th October 2012-09-13 11:27:16
Article submitted by Eric Chown, Web Publicity   "Taste of Scandinavia"   An Evening with a Difference   Food and fun from Scandinavia – a light hearted evening of games and competitions combined with the chance to taste the exciting and delicious cuisine of Scandinavia.   Creech St Michael Village Hall   Saturday 20th October 2012 – 7.30pm   Bring your own glasses and drinks   £7.50 to include a wide variety of Scandinavian food to sample and coffee/tea.   All Welcome   **To book ring Maureen Woolston on 01823 442023 or Nigel Farrow on 01823 443882   **Pre-booking required to plan catering.
Free Zumba class at Creech Village Hall 17th September 2012-09-13 09:41:03
Article submitted by Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech Parish Council, on behalf of Rachel Britt of Creech St Michael   Hello Creech St Michael!   I wanted to let you know about my FREE launch class for my NEW ZUMBA class at Creech St Michael Village Hall!   Come along on Monday 17 September from 6-7pm for a free session so you can see what the fuss is about and join the party!   For more details see http://zumbawithrachel.weebly.com/
Creech St Michael Crime Figures July 2012 2012-09-11 12:15:13
Article submitted by Nigel Finch Crime figures for July 2012 within a radius of 1 mile from the centre of Creech (TA3 5DP):  
J F M A M J J A S O N D
Burglary

1

0

1

2

3

2

2

         
Anti-Social Behaviour

5

0

3

1

3

2

2

         
Robbery

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

         
Vehicle Crime

1

4

0

0

0

1

2

         
Violent Crime

0

0

1

0

0

0

2

         
Public Disorder & Weapons

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

         
Shoplifting

0

1

0

0

0

0

0

         
Criminal Damage & Arson

2

2

0

3

0

1

0

         
Other Theft

0

3

0

2

1

2

4

         
Drugs

1

0

0

0

0

0

0

         
Other Crime

0

0

0

1

0

2

0

         
TOTAL 10 10 5 9 9 10 12
[caption id="attachment_1389" align="aligncenter" width="300"] July 2012 Crime Figures (click to enlarge)[/caption] Note: To protect privacy, crimes are mapped to an anonymous point on or near the road where they occurred.   Visit crime figures for Creech for more information   This information is reproduced from information in the public domain and published on www.police.uk
Free half-day waste prevention conference for Community Groups in Creech 2012-09-11 11:37:30
Article submitted by Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council   Invitation to meeting for Clubs and Community Groups of Creech St Michael     Somerset Waste Action – Get the Green Routine to help your community Saturday 29 September, 9:30 – 13:00, then lunch The Canalside, Marsh Lane, Bridgwater TA6 6LQ   Somerset Waste Partnership is inviting representatives from scores of charities, clubs and community groups to share waste reduction ideas and experiences at a FREE half-day event that will discuss a range of initiatives in which they can get involved in 2013 and beyond     Join us at the FREE Somerset Waste Action Conference to find out how waste prevention can help families save money, develop individuals’ know-how and confidence, offer fun and education, and unite communities in important common goals at little or no cost.     Local speakers will share their experience on how communities can save money, have fun and learn new skills by avoiding and reusing waste.     Speakers from Somerset community groups will include Steve Maynard on compost champions, Rob Richley on community Freecycle days, Linda Hull on growing your own, Rupert Farthing on skills to cut waste and cut costs, Maureen Pasmore on furniture reuse, Sam Lewis on bringing generations together to repair bicycles and Mark Blaker on promoting waste prevention with community radio.     For full details and how to register, please visit www.somersetwaste.gov.uk/about/campaigns/conference     Although the conference is free, you do need to register to help us arrange the breakout sessions and lunch so you can get the most out of the day.     Please pass on this invitation to others who may find this interesting either within your group or to other groups.     We hope to see you on 29 September!     Beth Prince Somerset Waste Partnership We manage waste and recycling services for all local authorities in Somerset   For information on our services and lots more visit: www.somersetwaste.gov.uk From home page, sign up for our e-zine and follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Agenda for Monday 17th September Parish Council Meeting 2012-09-11 10:10:07
Announcement from Creech St Michael Parish Council   Parish Council meeting on Monday 17th September 2012 at Creech Village Hall, 7pm.   The Agenda for the Monday 17th September 2012 Parish Council meeting is now available online.   Steve Altria Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council
Dates confirmed for Parish Council meetings 2013 2012-09-11 09:59:39
Article submitted by Nigel Finch, Webmaster   Dates have now been published for monthly Parish Council meetings in Creech in 2013.   All meeting dates can be seen by clicking the above link or visiting What’s On in Creech.   The two annual meeting dates are:   The Annual Parish meeting will be held on Friday 26th April 2013.   The Annual Parish Council meeting for Election of Chairman & Officers will be held on Monday 13th May 2013.
Impermeable Area Survey in Creech St Michael by Wessex Water 2012-09-10 15:22:28
Article submitted by Eric Chown, Web Publicity   Open letter from Wessex Water sent to customers in Creech St Michael   Wessex Water has appointed contractors to perform a survey to assist with ongoing investigations into causes of flooding with the village.   Our contractors may require entry to the outside areas of your property, front and rear gardens, to assist in their survey; they have not been instructed to enter the internal of your property.  The survey is due to start on Tuesday 11th September 2012 and will be completed within a few days.   Yours sincerely G P Eeles   Geoff Eeles Senior Engineer Tel: 0845 600 4 600 email: operational.enquiries@wessexwater.co.uk   Wessex Water Claverton Down Bath BA2 7WW Telephone 01225 526000 Website is www.wessexwater.co.uk
Parish Council meeting 17th Sept to discuss new housing development plans 2012-09-06 08:46:13
Article submitted by Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council   I would advise that the Parish Council has decided to hold an additional meeting on Monday 17th September.   This will commence at 7pm and be held in the Lower Cttee room of the village Hall.   The principal reason for calling the meeting is that TDBC Senior Planners Roger Mitchinson (Planning Strategy Lead) and Tim Burton (Theme Manager for Planning) have been invited and have agreed to update and answer questions on the large development at Creech Heathfield/West Monkton.   This will be an opportunity for Parishioners and Councilors alike to ask questions about the Council plans for this major development.   An agenda will be published in due course.
Wessex Water Ham Sewerage Works Planning Application 2012-09-03 20:52:16
Article submitted by Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council   Notes of a public meeting held with Wessex Water at the Zion Baptist Church, CSM on 28th August 2012 at 6pm.   1. Present. The meeting was attended by 29 Creech St. Michael and Ruishton and Thornfalcon Parish residents and; Stuart Lewis Programme Manager and Matt Wheeldon Head of Wastewater Strategy for Wessex Water plus three colleagues Nick, Barry and Mandy. David Fothergill, Somerset County Councilor, David Durdan TDBC Councilor, Creech St. Michael Parish Councilors Paul Chetwynd, Graham Hodge, Gordon Lucas, Kym Reed and Steve Wellman, Chair: Clare Sampson, Chairperson of Creech St. Michael Parish Council. Clerk Steve Altria   2.  Apologies for absence. Apologies were received from; Jeremy Browne MP, Kali Martin Area Highways Engineer, CSM Parish Cllrs Simon Hutchings and Ken Hunt.   3. Introduction. Jane Withey explained she had attended the August Parish Council meeting as she was concerned about the access to the proposed works, in particular she had safety concerns. Jane explained she had attended 4 years of meetings with   Wessex Water but there was still no access road in place or firm proposals to build it.   The village is now facing 15 months of disturbance. Having shared these concerns at the Parish Council meeting this public meeting had been arranged. Jane advised that she understood the need for expansion of the site and the implications of that but Ham Road is not suitable for the volume of weight of traffic.   The Chairman of Ruishton and Thornfalcon PC added that it was not just Ham Road but the roads leading to it as well.   CS explained that the planning application would be considered at the next Parish Council meeting on 3rd September and it comments would be passed to them in time for the County Councils Regulation Cttee.   SL explained that WW were committed to the road and that commitment is still there, WW intend to get the road in. We will go back to Tarmac and see if there anything they will do and we will talk to SCC highway to see if a road can come in from A358. These would take 3 weeks to consider.   4. Questions put to WW;   WW had given an undertaking to build a road 30 years ago, has repeated its commitment repeatedly since but it has still not been built.   Why if you are still negotiating to get the road are you getting on with the work now?   4. Questions put to WW (cont);   Could WW apply to the Env Agency for an extension of their deadline?   For more than four years everyone has known that the work was based on the road going in; so it’s an unfortunate position.   It’s infuriating; I feel we are being told.   I am concerned about the ability of the road to take the weight. It was built for ponies and carts; the area is soft, the edges easily spread and the ditches will go in.   What is the weight limit on the bridge in Ham Road?   Ham Road is 4m wide in places you can just get two cars through.   Most Lorries come from and return via Taunton. It’s a dangerous junction onto the A358.   We have spoken to Tarmac and they have told us its gone quiet from WW and that theve not heard from WW.   We were told in Dec 2011 that WW would look at all other opportunities. The last Project Manager told us we would have the access road.   The best route is from Solomon’s hollow.   How far are you with getting Farmers on side yet? I suggest you need to be negotiating now in order to avoid further delay once the TARMAC negotiation commence/conclude.   I know Highways always have to input to a planning application. Highways should be here. Highways need to be objecting to your application.   Highways can only comment on applications once they are in.   Can we have a vehicle count?   The sewerage works was built in the 1950 down a small country lane. How much more will WW be putting down there?   What are your plans if the road floods? Will you drive through it if it floods?   How will you address traffic to the crossroads and through Ruishton; this year’s floods brought sewerage through our village (Ruishton).   At what times will you be operating?   Ham Road is a rat run.   As before, any delay and you will work at weekends.   What are your contingency plans if the application fails?   4. Questions put to WW (cont); Why did your website not tell the truth? There could well be legal action as a result. Upto 16th August it was stating WW will build a new road before doing any work.   At the drop in session on the 25th July we suggested to WW that the website be updated.   Once the works are completed will it have created more ongoing traffic?   Is the plan for a regional sludge centre still proceeding?   Can a note of the meeting be sent to the local MP along with a request from him to get involved?   Why are the works proceeding ahead of the new roads creation?   My key concern is safety. The road is used by school kids, cyclists (as many as the cars drivers), also horses and cars. The road is not wide enough.   We need a meeting with Highways and the Env agency. They should be listening to this.   Is there another sewerage works you can expand?   The bridges need checking. The one at lane end is cracked.   Can we have a meeting with highways?   We have pictures of the poor state of the road; the Lorries will be over running the road. Is reinstatement only going to be done after 15 months? We never get repairs.   Resident advised of how two Lorries had previously tried to pass but could not and the police had to be called to resolve it.   The treatment Lorries currently go through Ham village. Drivers not familiar with the route invariably end up going into the village. Can a sign be put up ensure they don’t?   We need to pursue the road even if the works start.   We need to see action. If we had earlier we would not be here tonight.   The existing road is not safe.   Have you seen two Lorries try and cross each other? IF not I suggest you do.   Is there going to be any assessment to the damage caused to houses?   Some of the houses in Ham Road are very close to the highway.   Everyone is saying don’t go ahead.   4. Questions put to WW (cont); Won’t agency drivers just rip through the village? You won’t be able to control them   We currently have Lorries going above the speed limit.   Will you put up a temporary road across rented farmers land?   You will need escorts.   Even if there’s a car on the road the Lorries’ won’t be able to get through.   5. Responses made by WW; The work is needed to accommodate the increase in housing being planned for Taunton   WW can’t force people to sell land; WW can only negotiate and have been negotiating.   WW has looked at a route to the east via Solomon’s Hollow since 2011.   WW wants to build the road so they can improve things for the local residents and have improved access.   The Environment Agency requires WW to improve the quality of effluent out.   We’ve submitted the planning application; we don’t see getting permission as difficult its procedural.   Proposals have been discussed with highways.   We talked to TARMAC as recently as last week. They don’t want us to talk to them about using the access before Christmas 2012.   We are looking at alternative routes.   WW made an offer some time ago to go via Solomon’s Hollow and though we got a response we had nothing in writing. We have been telephoning and holding meetings with their agents.   We are adding little extra traffic to the roads, 15 additional Lorries a day.   The River Tone is being put on protected status by the Env Agency. WW will have to remove even more e.g. prosperous before 2018 more from the sewerage   We work 7.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday but we will avoid peak hours. We may have to during the concreting pours (2 weeks before and after Christmas). WW doesn’t envisage Saturday working but if we do have to it would be subcontractors in their Vans e.g. electricians wiring.   These proposals are our contingency plan.If they fail we can’t proceed.   WW Website was updated today.   5. Responses made by WW (cont); There is no other sewerage works we can expand; the flow is specific to this site.   We are talking about an extra 5 vehicles a day and at the peak 15 a day.   Pease inform us in advance if there are any special requirement e.g. oil deliveries, house moves.   We are not planning to have two Lorries crossing in Ham road.   TARMAC where originally going to sell their site, then they were going to lease it and now they’re in discussions and won’t consider anything at present until these conclude around Christmas 2012 time.   6. Commitments made by WW; We are committed to the road and that commitment is still there, we intend to get the road in. We will go back to Tarmac and see if there anything they will do and we will talk to SCC highway to see if a road can come in from A358. These would take 3 weeks to consider.   WW agreed to ask the EA if they will grant an extension of the deadlines for improving effluent   We offered traffic lights but we start with none and if traffic causes a problem we would quickly install traffic lights.   WW don’t want to access through the tarmac site. We want to come off their access road.   We have not spoken to the farmers yet. We will take back the need to be negotiating now in order to avoid further delay once the TARMAC negotiation commence/conclude.   WW will ensure that highways will have all the information they will require.   WW works will start on 15th Sept.   WW will not drive down the roads to the sewerage works if the roads flood.   We will have a traffic management plan. Traffic would be held at points so they don’t cross.   We will take away why the website was showing WW would build a new road as late at the 16th August   Once the works are completed they will not have created any more ongoing traffic   With the current access arrangements WW will not be creating a regional sludge centre. If however a new road was build then we would look to see what additional opportunities this could create.   We (WW) need to pursue a new road through TARMAC site. When prompted WW added and also to pursue Solomon’s Hollow.   6. Commitments made by WW (cont); WW is going ahead with the works as we have to get the works done by March 2015 as a requirement of the Env Agency. We will take away (an action) to ask if they will agree to a later deadline.   We will ensure subcontractors vehicles are subject to the same requirements for access. They will be in before 7am and out after 6pm.   We will monitor the bridges. WW promised that at the meeting held on the 25th July.   We will reinstate the road after 15 months and do any interim repairs if they develop.   WW will put up a sign so that Lorries know not to go though Ham village.   We will look to pursue the new road even if the works go ahead.   We will keep speed down to 20mph in order to minimize impact. We will impose this as a limit.   WW will impose controls on agency drivers and if anyone is not adhering villagers can report them to us.   WW we have dismissed several drivers for speeding. We don’t tolerate speeding.   If anyone has a concern about their house we will do a condition survey.We will ask all the residents of Ham Road if they would like one.   I don’t think we currently have the money to put up a temporary road across rented farmer land but I will take back the idea and discuss it   We will provide banks men on each end of the works access. One in Lipe lane 200 yards up from Ham Road and the other in the Works itself.   We will look at whether we need escorts   7. Responses from SCCllr David Fothergill. Highways have told me today that are not happy, they have been asking for information and will object unless their get the information on full traffic flows from WW.   I have spoken to highways today, they have concerns. CS Do we know what the highways views will be? DF No but I will be follow through.   I will ask highways if they will hold a meeting.   We all know the solution is the new road. Residents believe they have been promised a road, what can we do to help get the road?   The meeting ended at 7.15 pm.