/ Parish Council / 2006 Minutes / April 2006



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a meeting held at 7pm on Monday 3 April 2006
in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

 

Present: E Webb (C hairman), R Farrow (Vice-Chairman), A Bishop, T Carter, K Cooper, S Cooper, D Durdan, S Holdaway, G Lucas, R Rooke, C Cllr A Clarke, D Cllr G Leighton, Mr B Rowlinson.

 

971. Chairman’s Welcome : The meeting proceeded at 7pm when the Chairman welcomed those present.

 

972. Apologies : No apologies were received.

 

973. Creech St Michael Recreation Field Committee . B Rowlinson stated that he is going to apply for a grant for the childrens’ play area, and he hoped to obtain the remainder of the money from other sources. He hopes to change the name of the football club to Creech St Michael Football Club in the near future. There is a problem of mud in the pavilion because the mobile dugouts are stored there. He hopes to obtain a steel container in which to store the dugouts and other equipment. The Chairman stated that she had received complaints about the condition of the pavilion and she had gone with several other Parish Councillors to inspect the building. It was noted that the pavilion was in a poor state of cleanliness, including an extremely muddy floor, dirty kitchen and lavatories, and there was evidence of mice. The Chairman stated that it was necessary to have a meeting with members of the Committee in order to discuss matters;the Lease states that the pavilion must be kept in good condition and there was concern that other terms of the Lease were also being broken.

7.05pm PC Ben Hicks and CSO Lucy Gamlin arrived.

7.10pm SC Cllr Clarke and TD Cllr Leighton arrived.

A Parish Councillor suggested that a “party in the park” may be a good way to raise funds, although probably no money would be made the first year. He also suggested that the play area could be laid with bark, but Mr Rowlinson said that bark is not acceptable to TDBC. TD Cllr Leighton said that previously the problem of cleanliness at the pavilion had only been solved when a part time cleaner was employed. Mr Rowlinson said that the Committee would welcome several people from the community onto the Committee. TD Cllr Durdan said that £350 may be available as a grant from the Playing Fields Association.

 

974: Correspondence :

Date

From

Subject

Outcome

01.3.06

Zion Bapti. Church

Letter enquiring whether the PC could offer visiting students any tasks between 22 & 27 May.

Zion having confirmed students are insured, they would be asked to clean signs and pick up litter

03.3.06

SCC –

Invitation to attend meeting on 5.6.06 at Bridgwater.

No-one is able to attend

09.3.06

C Beal

Letter re increased HGV traffic through Ham

Mr Beal is to be referred to Somerset Highways.

10.3.06

SCC

Letter requesting £640 per year for 4 years to maintain Moorlynch office & 2 Parish assistants

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed not to offer the money requested because £640 is too much for a PC and a final outcome as to LAMP’s future will be awaited.

20.3.06

SCC

Statement of Community Involvement – final consultation document. The document is with our Chairman

The document will be dealt with by the Vice-Chairman.

20.3.06

TDBC

Consultation document “Talking Tomorrow’s Taunton Deane”. Involving The Community in The Review of The Community Strategy And The Production Of The Local Development Framework

This document is to be circulated to councillors and a response made.

20.3.06

TDBC

To go with above – “Draft Options for Sustainability Appraisal

- ditto -

23.3.06

Ian Clarke TDBC

Letter & info. Re Tree Warden Scheme. Details of Parish Council nominated tree wardens must be sent to TDBC, otherwise they will not be covered by their insurance.

The Clerk will approach a lady who already acts as a tree warden and place an article in the Newsletter.

 

975. Minutes 956-970: It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that the Minutes be adopted as correct. The Chairman signed each page of the Minutes.

 

976. Matters Arising from the above Minutes:Broadband: The Clerk reported that in conjunction with the Chairman she had appointed The Post Office for the telephone and Virgin for Broadband, who provide free anti-virus software. She said this arrangement is likely to cost no more than the cost of the telephone and dial-up internet paid at present. The Notice of Vacancy has been posted and will expire on 11 April. David Whitehead from TDBC has confirmed he will be making a presentation at the APM to give a talk on the Handyman scheme and Sheltered Housing. He would also like to talk about the adaptation service for elderly and disabled people. In addition he will bring along low energy light bulbs to hand out, courtesy of British Gas. He will require 30 mins for the presentation and questions. Tim Harman of Help the Aged has confirmed he will also be presenting. The owners of Creech Mills have stated that all asbestos was removed from site several months ago and it was done by a licensed contractor. They also want us to know that they have tidied up the site considerably, removing a quantity of abandoned vehicles and other items. The Mill is being re-roofed at the moment. With regard to asbestos the planners stated that in terms of planning conditions Local Planning Authorities can only condition matters that are strictly relevant to planning. Should a matter not be covered by planning legislation (eg Health and safety, Building Regulations etc) Planning Authorities do not have any control over them. It can sometimes be appropriate to put a 'note' on the decision notice advising that correct removal should take place, sometimes useful telephone numbers are put within 'notes'. More instances of fly tipping had been reported this month and the Clerk was asked to put something in the Newsletter. LAT will approach the police to ascertain whether a campaign could be run against fly tipping or vandalism.

 

977. Accounts:Bills to be paid: The Clerk having checked invoices as correct, it was proposed, seconded & unanimously agreed that the following amounts be paid: Clerk’s expenses-£82.44, D Duke (Website Honorarium and have advertising banner removed) - £222.31, SALC (affiliation fee)-£442.73, D Bage - £96.50 (extending notice board at Adsborough), G Willis (to clean bus shelters) - £30.00, J Edis (Newsletter expenses & Honorarium), Community Council Subscription - £25.00, Clerk’s Salary - £496.84. Mr Bage is ready to extend the Ham notice board but Cllr Durdan is to move it first.

 

978 Planning:

  Date

Ref

Application

Comment

03.03.06

14/2006/004

Erection of conservatory to the rear of 39 Ryesland Way, CSM

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that this application be supported

16.03.05

14/2006/007

Erection of 1 storey extensions to side & rear of 29 Dillons Road, CSM

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that this application be supported provided that a condition is applied that rain/surface water must be directed into the applicant’s own land, not that of a neighbour.

21.03.06

14/2006/002

Erection of extension above garage; erection of 1 storey lean-to extension to rear: Canal Cottage, CSM. Discussed at PC’s February meeting–planning officer states new application sent out because of slight change to plans.

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that this application be objected to because it is felt it would have a detrimental impact on neighbours.  It would take light from neighbouring properties and reduce their privacy.  In addition, there would be insufficient parking for vehicles

Application 14/2006/002 above was discussed in February and the PC’s objection was submitted. This application was re-applied for with a slight amendment on 21 March with a 21 day response time. On contacting the planning officer the Clerk was told that this matter had already been discussed at committee and had been provisionally approved. Although TDBC was awaiting the PC’s comments, it was felt that the 21 day response time was ineffective and there was little point in the Council’s requesting the PC’s opinion. The Clerk was asked to contact Tim Burton requesting a meeting with the Chairman to discuss this. It was noted that ref 14/2006/03 – Gubbins, Hyde Lane had been granted approval although the PC had objected on the grounds that it would have a detrimental impact on its neighbours and a detrimental visual impact.

 

979. Risk Assessment: It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that the Risk Assessment be adopted. It was noted that the Council still awaits a response from the Church as to whether they will insure the War Memorial. The Clerk had received a copy of the insurance schedule from CSM Recreation Field Management Committee and had written to Suzanne Parker querying whether the insurance was adequate. She had received an insurance schedule from Taunton Model Engineering which seemed satisfactory.

 

980: Traffic Matters at Adsborough. The Clerk was asked to write to SCC seeking a response to the meeting when the PC and Adsborough residents put forward their response to the SCC Highway Safety and Risk Assessment.

 

981: Asset Register: The Clerk distributed a draft Asset Register which councillors would study for discussion in May.

 

982: Footpaths: Mr Hurst’s annual footpath report having been received, it was noted that SCC have remedied or are addressing the problems highlighted and the Clerk will write a thank-you letter to Mr Hurst. On T10/23 a radio mast has been erected in the middle of the footpath. On T10/21 a large oak tree is blocking a stile. On T10/9 steps are being put into the stile. Mr Hurst is taking a keen interest in the re-routing of the footpaths at Monkton Heathfield and SCC is also looking at this. Regarding trees between 35 Ryesland Way and the footpath, a reply is being awaited from TDBC.

 

983. Daffodil Planting: The daffodils planted last autumn had come up and put on a beautiful show at North End and in Merlyn’s Copse. It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that approx. 50 kilos of bulbs will be planted this autumn in a similar initiative involving help from parishioners.

 

984: Matters of Report: A councillor stated that he had asked D Cllr G Leighton to look into an unsatisfactory response to a report of fly tipping to TDBC but she had reported this to the press without informing him. Cllr Leighton replied that this was to draw attention to the problem and no names had been mentioned. The councillor stated that he felt that it would have been a matter of courtesy for her to have referred to him first. Problems of fly tipping and vandalism will be discussed with the police via the next LAT meeting. The road at West View is breaking up and the Clerk was asked to report this. It is understood that some new signs had been erected in Bull Street. The Clerk is to ask Somerset Highways to again consider marking ditches to show their edges during floods, as it is such a long way round for Ham residents to drive. The Clerk was asked to write to TDBC to request a continuous dropped kerb at Myrtle Cottages and to write to the occupiers to suggest they also write to TDBC.

 

985: Reports from Taunton Deane Officers : SC Cllr Clarke said that SCC is one of the few County Councils still routinely cutting hedges. D Cllr Leighton said it is likely to be another six months before the Monkton Heathfield application comes to committee, due to ongoing negotiations. PC B Hicks introduced the new full time community support officer Lynsey Gamblin who had now begun work.

 

986: Matters to be brought forward to the next meeting : Risk Assessment

 

The meeting closed at 8.17pm.