/ Parish Council / 2007 Minutes / January 2007



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a meeting held at 7pm on Monday 2 January 2007
in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

 

Present: Cllr E Webb (Chairman), Cllrs R Farrow, A Bishop,T Carter, K Cooper, S Cooper, D Durdan, R Jeanes, G Lucas & R Rooke. SC Cllr Clark and D Cllr Leighton and members of the public were also present.

 

07/1 Chairman’s Welcome: The meeting proceeded at 7pm when the Chairman welcomed those present and wished them a happy New Year.

 

Public Speaking. Several members of the public attended and expressed their concern about the bus stop near the Maypole Inn at Adsborough, which has no hardstanding and they consider puts people in danger from fast traffic. They would like it moved up the road about 50 yds. The Chairman responded that the Parish Council agree the bus stop has dangers and this has been regularly pointed this out to SCC. The residents are to write to the bus company with a copy to the PC. A resident also pointed out that a drain is still blocked in St Michael Road by a speed hump.

 

07/2 Apologies. Cllr Holdaway was not present due to illness and his reasons for non-attendance accepted. B Rowlinson also apologised for his absence due to illness.

 

7.12pm D Cllr Leighton arrived.

 

07/3. Creech St Michael Recreation Field Committee. The Chairman reported that she had attended an informal meeting with B Rowlinson and the Clerk to discuss how to get the Committee on a healthier footing in order that the Lease may be renewed. B Rowlinson is to approach someone he feels will make a good vice chairman. The Chairman pointed out procedures require tightening up because Agendas and Minutes are not going out and people who are not on the committee are voting at meetings. Mr Rowlinson agreed that it would be useful to have an experienced secretary for a few months and it was decided he would ask the PC to fund secretarial help for a few months. T Habberfield said she would be willing to provide the secretarial help if required. The estimated cost would be £33.50 per month for time, travel and postage on the basis of a monthly meeting. Mr Rowlinson said he might consider having less regular meetings, for instance 6 weekly. It was proposed, seconded and agreed by a vote of 7 with 2 against and 1 abstention that the Council has no objection to T Habberfield providing secretarial help directly to the Committee for a period of 6 months (on the basis of one meeting per month) with the Council paying the Committee a grant to cover costs (£201.00 deducted from Recreation Field earmarked money), provided that the Clerk checks with SALC to make sure best practice is adhered to.

 

7.25pm. SC Cllr Clarke arrived.

 

07/4. Correspondence requiring a decision:
Date From Subject Decision required
30.11.06 R Bell Letter asking why village hall car park is not for village and why doctors visiting is not allowed The Chairman said she had spoken to Mr Bell & explained parking is encouraged for doctors visits except when large events take place.
19.12.06 Nigel Finch, Somerset Web Services Proposal to redesign and update CSM Village website. Letter is basis for discussion Arrange meeting with J Edis & D Duke
Dec Environment Agency CSM Flood Defence Improvements Scoping Consultation Document Cllrs Durdan & Jeanes will complete & return to Chairman.
Nov Tr Stds, SCC Weight Limit on Local Roads No response is required

 

07/5. Minutes 1088–1101. It was proposed, seconded and agreed by a vote of 8 with 2 abstentions that the Minutes be adopted as correct. The Chairman signed each page of the Minutes.

 

07/6. Matters Arising from the above Minutes: Cllr Bishop said had received no correspondence from J Browne MP regarding Adsborough, and the only letter she had received came from SCC. Regarding the pump at Mill Lane, the Clerk said she asked the landlord of The Bell but they do not have storage space. The Chairman reported that Mr Sully of Mill Lane is building a garage and extension and he will accommodate the pump as soon as the building work is completed. The PC will put him in touch with the Environmental Agency in order that the pump is serviced annually.

 

07/7. Accounts: Bills to be paid: It was proposed, seconded & unanimously agreed that £14,710.00 be precepted for 2007/08. This represents a 3.5% increase on the previous year. The claim is broken down as follows: Salaries: £5300, Admin: £3100, grants: 2500, S137 grants: £2500; burial grounds: £1005, audit fees: £290, Noticeboards/seats: £250, sub-contracting: £1,000, misc: £2150, : £2000 = £20095.00 LESS expected income & reduction of surplus of £5385 = £14,710. It was also proposed, seconded & unanimously agreed that the following amounts be paid: T Habberfield (salary) - £446.40 (incl 5.5hrs overtime), T Habberfield (expenses) - £92.03, CSM Village Hall - £42.00.

 

07/8(a) Planning:
Date Ref Application Comment
20.12.06 14/2006/051 Erection of 1 storey extension to rear of Paddock View, North End, CSM It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that this application be supported.
20.11.06 28/20095/072 Proposed mixed use urban extension development comprising residential employment, local centre, new primary school, A38 relief road, green spaces and playing fields at Monkton Heathfield as amended by Masterplan and phasing plan received 31.10.06
It was not thought necessary to add anything more to the PC’s response of last month.

 

07/88(b) To discuss whether to apply for Old School Cottages, CSM, be Listed. It was proposed, seconded and agreed by a vote of 8 with 2 abstentions that no application would be made.

 

07/8(c) Other Planning Matters
Date Ref Application Comment
15.12.06 14/2006/049 Erection of 1st floor extension at Orchard House, Charlton Orchards, CSM Permission granted

 

07/9. Footpaths. Cllr Rooke reported that the Rights of Way Dept at SCC had been very slow in responding to reported problems recently. T10/21 is still not on the OS map. The Clerk has written to them about the slow service. 10/20 at Downe House was still blocked. T10/23 behind West View by the school has a manhole cover which is rusting away; at the bottom of the same footpath the hedge is so overgrown that people have to walk through a dry ditch to get through and also the V stile has been hit by a hedge trimming machine and contains dangerous splinters (adjacent to K Nation’s land).

 

07/10. A38 at Adsborough: Councillors having read Mr Warburton’s letter concerning Adsborough safety, they support the following suggestions: (a) A38 speeds limits between Walford Cross and Thurloxton are too high; the exit onto the A38 from Thurloxton is dangerous because of speeding traffic; the road layout at Walford Cross is dangerous; a 50mph speed limit between Thurloxton Fruit Farm and Walford Cross with a speed camera and central road markings defining the south Adsborough turning; a 30mph speed limit into Thurloxton village. However, Councillors are unable to give support to his suggestion that buses are re-routed through Thurloxton whilst the A38 has such speeding traffic. The Local Action Team is to use the speed gun at Adsborough.

 

07/11. Government White Paper, Unitary Authority for Somerset, Somerset County Council’s “Localisation and Frontline Councillors” paper. Councillors had received a brief outline of these matters, with further information on SCC’s proposal to apply for Unitary Authority and an overview of the White Paper, which addresses the setting up of Unitary Authorities, Power of Well Being and Byelaws, expansion of the Local Government Sector. Legislation will be passed in the future to put proposals into action. The Clerk was asked to write to SCC opposing the application for a Unitary Authority and supporting TDBC councillors.

 

07/12. Park and Ride at Cambria Farm. The Chairman and Clerk attended the public meeting at Ruishton and reported that SCC were to pursue construction at Cambria Farm, close to the M5 Junction and opposite the Blackbrook Inn, which they prefer over another short listed site further through Henlade towards Ilminster. The meeting was well attended with Ruishton & Thornfalcon Parish Council and members of the public worried that the result will be more congestion through Henlade. The Chairman stated that the site seems too close to the M5 junction. The Clerk stated that she had e-mailed SCC them several times asking for information, although they had offered to do a presentation at CSM. The Clerk was asked to write to SCC stating that Creech St Michael Parish Council has strong reservations about the site at the present time.

 

07/13. Matters of Report. People living in St Michael Close had reported that their vision is impaired pulling out onto St Michael’s Road because an overgrown hedge at Treetops, and the Clerk was asked to write to the householder. There is a pothole at Adsborough outside the former Chapel. There is still a hole around the manhole cover at West View but the Clerk said that SCC did not consider it large enough to repair. The culvert at Merlyn’s Copse is blocked. There is a blocked drain at Ham opposite the footpath. It was noticed that SCC had marked potholes to be filled but not all holes were marked. A risk assessment had been carried out in St Michaels Road (Dillons Rd junction) and LAT are cleared to use their speed camera there.

 

07/14. Reports from Taunton Deane Officers: SCCllr Clarke said that he too is concerned about the planning of a Park and Ride at Cambria Farm. SCC’s reason for rejecting the 2nd site which is at the other end of Henlade is that people will not want to catch public transport for an extra half mile. He is due to attend an LPT meeting. He went to a meeting in December regarding the proposed Unitary Authority, but was not allowed to speak. DCllr Leighton said she too was suffering with a lack of information and consultation from SCC regarding the Park and Ride, and they had not yet responded to questions she had tabled following their presentation. SCC had not carried out any consultation with District Councils regarding their proposed Unitary Authority application. She expects no further movement on the Park and Ride until March. Regarding flood defence the EA will draw up plans for a consultation in Aug/Sept provided funding is in place.

 

07/15. Matters to be brought forward to the next meeting: CSM Recreation Field, A38 at Adsborough, Footpaths, White Paper, Unitary Authority, Localisation and Frontline Councillors Paper, Cambria Farm.

 

The meeting closed at 8.47pm. The next meeting will take place on 5 February.