/ Parish Council / 2008 Minutes / March 2008



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a Meeting held at 7pm on Monday 3 March 2008 in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

 

Present:  E Webb (Chairman), R Farrow, A Birch, A Bishop, T Carter, K Cooper, S Cooper, R Jeanes, G Lucas, R Rooke (Parish Councillors) and T Habberfield (Clerk).  Also in attendance were members of the public. 

 

08/35:  Chairman’s Welcome:  The Chairman opened the meeting at 7pm, and reported that there had been 31 applicants for the position of Clerk.  It agreed that the interview panel would consist of Cllrs Webb, Farrow and Bishop and that a shortlist of 5 or 6 people would be seen.  The Clerk would also be present but it was stressed that the decision would rest with three councillors.  The Clerk stated that she had been through the applications and made some notes regarding qualifications for the assistance of the Chairman. 

 

08/36:  Apologies:  Apologies were received from Cllr Durdan and his reasons for non-attendance were accepted.  Apologies were also received from TDCllr Leighton and K Durdan.

 

Public speaking:.  Residents from Worthy Lane attended.  The PC stated they had received a letter from Sam Jones of SCC stating “Somerset County Council has a duty to maintain the surfaces of Public Rights of Way to a standard befitting their status. Following my inspection on the 17th of Jan 08 I do not believe the path requires any immediate works to meet its needs as a public footpath. The evident pot holing across the entire track is largely due to vehicular use by private residents and landowners. The main responsibility for surface repairs lies with them.  I have also explained that the entire width of the track is shown as the Right of Way and as such should remain available for use if the public so wish. Fencing of a narrow section would restrict this right, and given the low level of traffic, is not necessary.  Following my discussion with Mrs Webb on the 5th Feb 08, I will look into the possibility of repairing a few pot holes along the northern side of the track, thus giving a strip of approximately 1.5m in width, of even footpath. I am reluctant to proceed with this without confirmation that the local residents and landowners will avoid using this section in their vehicles when possible. Mrs Webb will be taking this forward at the next Parish Council meeting.”  The residents said that Worthy Lane has is fallen into considerable disrepair; they do accept some responsibility for its upkeep but would like more assistance than that which has been offered; there is no street lighting and the Lane is used by many private vehicles, farmers, public service vehicles.  Two residents had recently had falls due to the pot holes.  The Local Authority had provided gravel many years ago but this had all been used up.  It was agreed they would write to SCC and the PC would also write. 


08/37:  Minutes – At Minute 08/08b the date for the Public Enquiry with regard to work carried out at Theats Farm, Cr Heathfield will take place on 4 June, not 4 May, 2008 at TDBC.  At 08/12 “Cllr Durdan was struck out and replaced by “D Greig”.  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that the Minutes be adopted as correct.  The Chairman signed each page of the Minutes. 


08/38:  Matters Arising.  The stream running across St Michael Road still requires cleaning despite many requests to TDBC.  The Charlton Road sign has been re-erected.

 

08/39.  CSM Recreation Field:  It was reported that the Coffee Morning and Jumble Sale had been a success and raised £240.  An Easter Egg Hunt would be the next fund raiser.  The solicitors advice taken was that they advised against making a direct Lease with Taunton Model Engineers, as the CSMRFMC had been set up to run the Recreation Field and this should remain with them.


08/40:  Local Action Team:  The beat office is called pc Mark Bryant.  It was reported that a box of needles had been found in Hyde Lane, that children had been seen drinking and smoking at the Recreation Field, and following reports of the canal car park being used as a skid pad, the possibility of closing it at night had been discussed.  These matters had all been reported to the pcso.


09/41.  Correspondence requiring a decision:  The BBC Bus had offered to visit the Parish, and this information is to be given to K Durdan to promote Recreation Field events.

 

07/42:  Accounts:  Bills to be paid.  It was proposed, seconded & unanimously agreed that the following amounts be paid:  J Edis (Newsletter expenses) - £275, Clerk’s salary - £517.27, Clerk’s expenses - £76.31.

 

07/43.  Planning Applications received:.


Date

Ref

Application

Recommendation

06.02.08

14/2008/004

Loft conversion, 7 Kendal Close, Cr Heathfield

It was proposed, seconded and agreed by 9 votes with 1 abstention to support this application.

07.02.08

14/2008/003

2 Storey extension on south side of Trevellas Coombe, W Monkton

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to support this application.

08.02.08

48/2007/061

Proposed mixed use urban extension comprising 900 dwellings, B1 business, Local Centre, Primary School, Playing Fields and Open Space, New A38 Relief Rd at M Heathfield Development Site, M Heathfield

It was agreed by our Parish Council that a reply would be made as follows:  The dvd provided did not work with a standard dvd player and the map supplied was out of date.  In order to avoid unnecessary mileage and congestion the PC do not support the use of a bus gate to prevent traffic using the old A38 but do support the provision of a new road from the new A38 relief road to allow access to and from Hyde Lane and the proposed new Hyde Lane residential development.

13.02.08

14/2008/006T

Application to fell one lime tree include in TDBC Tree Preservation Order 1980 at 45 Tristram Dr, CSM

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to support the felling of this tree on the grounds of health and safety.

15.02.08

14/2008/005

Erection of 2 detached dwellings & garages on land east of Mallow, Cr Heathfield

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to support this application but to express concerns about the safety of the access – it was strongly felt that the access lane should be widened and a visibility splay should be formed in the access from the road. 

21.02.08

14/2008.008LB

Change of use of additional part of premises to veterinary surgery with alterations and refurbishment of rear store area include insertion of mezzanine and stair at Grant & Partners, St Michael Rd, CSM

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to support this application provided that the roof windows overlooking the neighbouring property are constructed with obscured glass.

Cambria Farm Park and Ride.  It is understood that pp has been grant by SCC for this. 

 

08/43(b) Other Planning Matters


Date

Ref

Matter

27.02.08

PC/4/31/07/026/BM

Letter from Bob Mills of SCC to say that the application for a Park and Ride at Cambria Farm has been granted Conditional Planning Permission.

27.02.08

14/2008/002

This application has been withdrawn

12.02.08

14/2007/020LB

Letter from Planning Inspectorate to say appeal re. site at Rock House, Adsborough has been dismissed.

 

The Chairman reported that there is a plan to build extensively between Monkton Heathfield/Llangaller and Walford Cross up to 2026; this is in additional to the 900 already dwellings already planned at Monkton Heathfield.  It was agreed that a letter would be written to G Copp at SCC because councillors are concerned about traffic congestion.

 

08/44:  Footpaths and Pavements.  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to accept Durston Woodland’s quotation for maintaining footpaths - £230 per cut, and carry out strimming at Merlyn’s Copse - £145 for 2008.  A list of approved contractors would be approached for a quotation next year.  Cllr Rooke said that an inspection of pavements in CSM is necessary. 

 

08/45:  Newsletter.  Following the publication of a controversial letter from a resident in the last Newsletter, it was agreed that the newsletter editor would contact the Parish Council if they received any copy they felt might be inappropriate.

 

08/46:  Adsborough:. Councillors meet with a representative from SCC and discussed areas of concern, including the crossing point.  He said he will return to consult with his colleagues and write to us.  Councillors reported seeing very fast traffic on the A38 at Adsborough, including a car which was travelling at approximately 90mph.  There was recently another rta at Walford Cross in which several vehicles were involved.


08/47.  Annual Parish Meeting – this is to take place on 18 April.  The mobile library service will give a presentation, K Durdan will speak briefly, and the police will have a presence


08/48.  To receive County & District Councillors’ Reports:  SCClr Clark said we had a meeting last week increase in rates 3.95%.Is one of the lowest in the country.  He was disappointed that pp had been granted for the Park and Ride at Cambria Farm because he would have preferred an alternative site.


08/49.  Matters of Report: A quotation had been received from SRS Cleaning for £45.00 to clean the 3 CSM bus shelters.  The Clerk will ask him to quote also to clean the notice boards and obtain a quotation from G Willis also.  Firework had been let off in gardens at Dillons, and a note is to be placed in the Newsletter asking people to be more considerate when using fireworks.  An increase in fly posting on telegraph poles had been noted and a discussion took place as to the possibility of using the additional notice board which is in storage.  The recycling van had recently caused congestion in the centre of CSM because it is there during busy traffic.


08/50.  Matters to be brought forward to the next meeting:  Footpaths and pavements, risk assessment, bus shelters, Newsletter, Annual Parish Meeting, Adsborough.
The meeting closed at 9.20 pm.  The next 2 PC meetings are to be held on Mon 7 April and the Annual Meeting will be on Tue 6 May.  The Annual Parish Meeting is on Friday 18 April at 7.30pm.