/ Parish Council / 2009 Minutes / June 2009



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 7pm on Monday 1st June 2009 in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

 

Present:  E Webb (Chairperson), R Farrow, A Bishop, R Jeanes, K Cooper, R Rooke, S Cooper, D Durdan, A Birch, T Carter and Jill Loader (Clerk).  Also in attendance were TDBCllr K Durdan, SCCllr A Clark, PCSO Steve Jackman, 2 members from Somerset Fire Services and 4 members of the public.


                                                                       
09/276  Chairman’s Welcome.  E Webb welcomed everyone to the meeting. 


09/277 Apologies: Apologies were received from Cllr Gordon Lucas and his reason for non-attendance was accepted.      

        

Public speaking time :   Ken Fletcher asked PCSO Steve Jackman to follow up on his letter to Lynsey Gamblin re police support at the Adsborough bus stop.   PCSO stated any major decisions were made at Porteshead HQ.  He would follow up and contact KF. K Fletcher also asked the Fire Officers for an update on his request for the last 5 years of traffic accidents at Adsborough.  They agreed to find out the latest and contact him.

 

09/278  Standards Committee Member Mr Peter Malin introduced himself and outlined the position of the Standards Committee.  The committee is made up of political representatives, representatives from Borough, Town and Council levels and three independent members.  They are here to represent the Parish Councils, give advice to PCs and clerks, assess and review complaints and ensure the Code of Conduct is produced and adhered to.  Meet 6 times a year and are here to help.  

 

09/279  PACT Issues: PCSO Steve Jackman outlined the various activities and results since March.  All incidences had been addressed with some positive feedback and results.  No additional items were reported for this month.

 

09/280  Declarations of Interest:  None

 

09/281  Minutes from May Meeting:  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that the May minutes be adopted as correct.  The Chairperson signed each page of the minutes.  


09/282 Matters Arising:  a) Clerk to contact Defra regarding dogs running over farmers land and fouling footpaths and not clearing up the mess.       7.20pm  Dave Durdan arrived.


09/283  Chairperson’s Report:  E Webb had asked the Spar shop owner if a bin could be placed outside the shop.  He was adamant he did not want one.  The extra parish council meeting held on 19th May to discuss the new medical centre plans had resulted in a unanimous vote to support the application.   The clerk read out a letter regarding caravans at West Newton Farm and the lack of washing and toilet facilities.  Mr Hardy the Enforcement officer would be discussing with the Health and Safety Dept the issues.  The Fire Officers agreed to visit the site under their Duty of Care duty to check out the safety of the electricity being provided.     7.25pm SC Cllr A Clark arrived.


09/284 Correspondence


Date

From

Subject

Outcome

12.5.09

SCC Library Services

Letter to raise awareness for the mobile library

Put notice in parish magazine to encourage usage, and ask for additional stops/requests

14.5.09

Somerset Levels & Moors Local Action

Local Action Event on 16th June @ 6.30-9.30pm. Edington Village Hall.  A community grant fund to support rural communities and businesses

Dave Durdan and Ron Rooke to attend 

20.5.09

TDBC Planning

Further training sessions on 5th August, 25th November and 17 February 2010

5th August – Ann Bishop, Eileen Webb, Ron Rooke to attend planning

 

09/285  Planning


Date

Ref

Application

Decision Reached

19.5.09

14/09/0016

Erection of two detached dwellings with garages on land to the east of Mallows, CH

The PC voted unanimously to support this application.  Although, it was felt a splay at the entrance was needed

22.5.09

4/14/09/0017

Children’s centre with car parking plus vehicle canopy to replace garages being removed – CSM Primary School, Hyde lane, CSM

The PC voted unanimously to support this application, with 1 abstention due to an interest.

 

09/286 Matters of Report:  a)  Adsborough Bus Stop over grown hedge – no response from Mrs Gamblin to date, although the hedge along the lane had been cut by a neighbour.   b)  E Webb and R Rooke to meet with P Tucker at the River Bridge on Wednesday, 10th June at 4pm to discuss the broken railings. 


09/287  Worthy Lane Questionnaire:  After discussion it was agreed to write to Sam Jones at Rights of Way informing him the residents still want to have the foot path reinstated.  Once the bollards are in place they won’t park on the footpath.  If a hedge requires cutting back, T Carter will speak to the person concerned.  

 

09/288 Donations and Section 137 Grant:  The ruling regarding the S137 grant is that a council can spend up to £6.15 per elector and can be used for the ‘general good of the parish, and where the council does not have a specific power’, ie donations to charities.  It was agreed to donate £50 to the Life Education Wessex charity, as they had visited the local school and it was agreed this benefited the children.   


09/289  CSM Recreation Field A Birch was working on getting grants and funds together for new play ground equipment, following the meetings on 26th and 28th May with the PC and Recreation field committee.  J Loader had emailed all the information received relating to grants to A Birch.  D Durdan was going to the County Playing Fields meeting later this month and would report back any funding that may be available.  S Cooper was meeting a local developer who may be able to let the Recreation Field committee have some new play equipment.


09/290  A38 @ Adsborough – Independent Engineer -  A discussion took place regarding taking on the services of an independent engineer at a cost of £60 per hour, and a possible spend of £1,000 if his services were taken on.  It was agreed that E Webb, A Bishop, D Durdan and K Fletcher should meet with Mr Graham at an initial free consultation, to find out what can or can not be achieved regarding the issues at Adsborough.   The outcome of this meeting will be discussed at the next PC meeting to agree the next step.  It was agreed that the new SC Councillor should take an active role in this as well as Thurloxton Parish Council.  Clerk to write to Thurloxton PC to ask for their support and support with costs. 


09/291 Accounts:  Bills to be paid: a)  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to pay the following invoices:  Clerks salary £441.55, Clerks Expenses £93.05, British Gas – Recreation Field £137.19, Ken Fletcher’s photocopying £8.00, Quality Service Printers £286, Traditional Window Cleaning £45, A Bishop Travel £10.00, Life Education Centre – donation £50.
b)  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to approve the 2009/10 maintenance grant request form from TDBC for £315.00 for Burial Grounds and £1,840.00 for Playing Fields maintenance. 
c)  Internal Auditor’s Report Findings – The clerk read out the internal auditor’s report findings which covered a) the Parish holds a balance of £35,227 as at 1st March 2009.  £11,000 is earmarked and £1,000 should be allowed for elections.  The balance of £23,227 is a healthy position and is less than 1.5 times the Precept.  b) The VAT calculation on car mileage had not been carried out correctly and will be re-calculated and the next VAT claim adjusted. c) The setting of the 2009/10 precept amount was not detailed on the minutes only referred to.  The amount for the precept for 2009/10 was £17,250.  This would be corrected next year. d)  Income and Receipts could be improved by providing a cash book summary, rather than separately.  This would be amended for next year.  
e)  Local Councils Annual Return for year ended 31st March 2009.  It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to accept the Local Councils Annual Return.
f)  Annual Governance Statement:  After reading out and clarifying each section of the statement, it was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to approve the Annual Governance Statement.


09/292 County Councillor’s Report:  A Clarke had nothing to report as it was the period leading up to the election.  He hoped everyone would make an effort and vote on 4th June.  E Webb thanked A Clarke for all his work and efforts over the last few years, and wished him well in his retirement as he was not standing again for election. District Councillor’s Report: Recent damage behind the Ruishton Village Hall had been reported to the Police.


09/293 Matters to be carried forward to the next Parish Council Meeting:  None
The meeting closed at 8.30pm. 
The next two parish council meetings will take place on Monday, 6th July and Monday, 3rd August 2009 (planning only).