/ Parish Council / 2013 Minutes / 2nd December 2013



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 2nd December 2013

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present: K Hunt (Chairperson), G Hodge and S Hutchings (Vice Chairs), P Chetwynd, Y Guest, G Lucas, C Sampson, S Wellman (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). Also in attendance was SCC Cllr D Fothergill , TDBCllr D Durdan, TDBCllr K Durdan and 5 members of the public.   

 

13/242. Chairpersons Welcome. Cllr Hunt began by welcoming everyone.

 

13/243. Public Speaking. Audrey Mansfield, the Village Agent reminded the PC that part of her role is to help/signpost Parishioners to agencies or charities in order to get support when required. She advised that there are winter grants available for those with a need and who are aged over 60. Individuals who wish to apply should contact Audrey on 07870 577925 or amansfieldva@somerstercc.org.uk . Audrey also highlighted that details of the community bulk buying scheme for heating oil operated by the Community Council are also available from her.

 

13/244. Apologies.   D Knight, J Middleton and K Reed (Parish Councillors).  

 

13/245. Declarations of Interest. KH had submitted a dispensation request to enable all Councillors to take part in the discussions on the precept. Action. The PC granted the dispensation to enable all Councillors to participate in the precept determination discussions at this meeting and at the next meeting on 6th January.  

 

13/246. Parking in Hyde Lane (between the school and the entrance to the new medical centre). DD advised he was aware of the difficulty agricultural contractors are experiencing using this stretch of road. The further three developments planned would add to these difficulties particularly if all three were to be developed at the same time. He is aware that no traffic calming would be installed in advance of the first houses being built and that the weight limit on the bridge at West Monkton meant lorries would all have to come past the School. One of the new developments would provide a car park for the school teachers. DF suggested that ways to alleviate the problem would have to be found and that he was aware that the School had already tried to do all sorts of things to address people’s behaviour. Jan McCarthy, Headteacher explained that the School regretted any inconvenience caused by poor parking. The School has initiated a number of initiatives but some parents still park inconsiderately of others. She advised that there are agreements with the Bell PH and Baptist Church for parents to use their car parks. Lynsey Gamblin PCSO confirmed that the police would take action as appropriate. A number of suggestions were put forward. Action. It was agreed to create a ‘task and finish’ working party (DF, DD, JMcC, LG,GL with YG to setup meetings to take place at the School).

 

13/247. Police Report. Lynsey Gamblin explained that there had been 2 further break-ins from cars last week. Villagers need to lock their cars and remove items from their vehicles. The Police are patrolling locally to overcome.

 

13/248. Childrens Centre. DF advised that SCC has taken the first stage of a decision to change the way Childrens Centres are run, the change will increase spending on the frontline service provision whilst reducing management, administration and building costs. Jan McCarthy advised the PC that she would regret if the centre is to close because it is used by a huge number of people, some of whom are vulnerable, to give them support in a wide range of ways. JMcC confirmed that the School would use the building if it became available but this was not her preference as the centre remaining open is a greater priority; she also advised that there may be other options for the building too. The Clerk informed the PC that he had registered their interest for all future consultations and that he had been asked to invite the centre manager to a future meeting to explain the centre aims and services.

 

13/249. County & District Councillors’ Reports.

 

(1) DF highlighted that SCC have to find a further £20m of savings. At its last meeting it found £4m, the further £16m would be more difficult, particularly as years of cuts are ahead. DF explained that SCC had responsibilities for Health. SCC are encouraging the over 65’s, pregnant women and people with heart problems to get free flu jabs. GL asked why bus passes entitled holders to use the park and ride in many other towns free but that in Taunton they still had to pay. DF explained that this was about different Towns choosing to spend money on different services. If SCC subsidised bus pass holders then another service cut would need to be found.

 

(2) DD drew attention to SCC consultation on bus services. Whilst it would not affect the 27 service through the village if parishoners wished to use services further afield then they may be affected. For full details of the proposals and to submit comments visit www.somerset.gov.uk/bussurvey to complete the online survey or telephone 0845 345 9155 to have a survey posted to you. The last date to have a survey posted to you is 20 December 2013.

 

DD had met with the Som Assoc of Playing Fields. They have a new website and he had suggested to them that they may wish to have the rec park listed on it. GL asked DD if the boat would run in Taunton next year. DD advised a decision had not been taken yet but  another boat which was more accessible and child friendly was being launched next year and that would operate across a wider area though he would not be running it.  

 

DD drew attention to the TDBC exhibition taking place on the next day, Tuesday 3rd Dec at 3.30pm-7pm in the Village Hall Cttee room. He suggested Cllrs may wish to ask about the 25 Hectares of employment land proposed for Ruishton as this would have an impact on CSM; particularly as its access roads are not clear and that it creates a precedent for development the other side of the motorway. DF highlighted that the route for the proposed bypass was being protected and that it was important that was built first. SW highlighted the importance of the employment land over the motorway at West Monkton.  It was noted that the consultation period on future development in CSM is 31-10-13 to 12-12-13.

Action.  SW to submit on behalf of CSM PC it’s submission to TDBC before the 12th December.

 

 

 

 

13/250. Minutes of the 4th November 2013 meeting had previously been circulated to Cllrs.

13/232. Website. KH advised that he had seen the website and recognised that it is very good. He wished to record his and the PC thanks to Adrian Birch, Clare Sampson and Jo Morrison for their work. He explained that he wished to examine the draft hosting/web maintenance agreement prepared by CS more fully before signing it and that he did not wish to include a commitment to make an annual donation in the agreement. A discussion then took place about the merits of including the donation. AB agreed it could be deleted. DD suggested that it should be more properly described as an honorium rather than a donation. The PC restated that it agreed to add £200 to the existing £250 to create a £450 fund for improvements at North End.

Action.  CS to revise the agreement and then AB and KH are to sign, to be retained by the Clerk.

 

13/233. Merlyn’s Copse.  As the PC is now in possession of valuations from Chestertons and Greenslade Taylor Hunt SW advised that the PC now needed to agree a minimally acceptable sale price and a sale process.

Action.  An additional PC meeting is to be held on 16th December at 7pm.

 

Three deletions were made. (1) At 13/222 Matters arising the word Creech was deleted from Creech Heath field Close from the item on grass cutting. (2) At 13/225 Deletion of the first Rec Park action. (3) At 13/232 Website. Deletion of the action.  The minutes were then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

13/251. Matters arising from the 4th November 2013 meeting minutes.

13/202.  Speed Indicator Device (S.I.D). SCC Highways had advised in view of the speeding at Creech Heathfield, (nr the Crown Inn) and Creech Heathfield (nr to the Old Police House) that SCC would now periodically site a S.I.D at these.

13/214. Waste Bin adj to Hyde Lane bus shelter. The Clerk explained that he had ordered the bin as requested from  TDBC and now awaited its installation.

13/228 (4) External Audit.  The Clerk reported that he had started to develop an Internal Control statement and would submit this for consideration at future meeting.

13/229 (6). Grit Bins. The Clerk advised that he had ordered the two additional bins from Wybone Ltd and was now awaiting their delivery. He would then arrange for them to be filled and sited at Queensdown and at Worthy Lane.

13/229 (7). Railway Bridge. The Clerk explained that he had received confirmation from Network Rail that they were going to examine the PC request to clear weeds from the Railway Bridge (No MLN160-10½) that’s choked with weeds.

13/237.  APM date 2014. The Clerk reported he had made arrangements for the Annual Parish Meeting to be held on 9th May 2014 7pm for 7.30pm.

 

13/252. Recreation Park. (1) Update report. KH proposed that the lower of two quotations be accepted to undertake the following to: remove three stumps, fit a seat (which has been purchased with the proceeds of the open day) and to install an door to be fitted inside the pavilion. A discussion took place on whether the quotations provided for a fire grade door or not and the merits of having the quotation itemised. Action YG to speak to both contractors and TDBC building control in order to ascertain the door quality each had been quoted for. The PC to decide at its Jan meeting whether future quotations must always be itemised and to decide whether to proceed with this work.

 

CS advised that Lightmain had undertaken a Qtrly safety check at the park and confirmed all was fine and that Lightmain had provided replacement parts free as part of the warranty agreement.

 

13/252. Recreation Park. (2) Adj Copses. SW advised he believed that the Copse was still available for sale and that the PC needed to decide whether to proceed or not with a purchase.

Action. The PC to hold an additional meeting on the 16th Dec at 7pm to decide whether to purchase the Copse or not.

 

13/253. Planning. (1). The Council considered the following applications

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

5/11/13

14/13/0038T

APPLICATION TO FELL ONE HORNBEAM TREE INCLUDED IN TAUNTON DEANE BOROUGH (CREECH ST. MICHAEL NO.1) TREE PRESERVATION ORDER 1986 AT BRAINSTORM, CHARLTON ROAD, CREECH HEATHFIELD

TO OBJECT TO THE GRANTING OF PERMISSION. THE PC HAS RECEIVED OBJECTIONS. IT FEELS THAT THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO FELL THE HORNBEAM TREE WHICH FORMS PART OF THE LANDSCAPE/CHARACTER OF THE AREA.

14/11/13

14/13/0039/LB

INSTALLATION OF SECONDARY GLAZING TO WINDOWS AT ROCK HOUSE, ADSBOROUGH

TO SUPPORT. THE PROPOSED ADDITION OF SECONDARY GLAZING HAS LITTLE IF ANY VISUAL IMPACT ON THIS DWELLING AND WILL HELP PROTECT THE INTERNAL FEATURES AND REDUCE HEAT LOSS

7/11/13

4/40/13/0009

 

THE ERECTION OF A KIOSK BUILDING TO HOUSE BLOWERS, AS PART OF A PERMITTED IMPROVEMENT SCHEME, ON LAND AT HAM SEWAGE TREATMENT WORKS.

NO OBSERVATIONS TO MAKE OTHER THAN THE PC HAS ONGOING CONCERNS OVER THE IMPACT OF ASSOC TRAFFIC

(2) Hyde Lane Developments. SW reported on the meeting held with Linden Homes 21st Nov 13. The developers are intending to put in their planning application in Dec in order to commence building in April. The PC is keen to work closely with the developers particularly on a number of area such as drainage, roads, bus turning point, social housing. An area of land is to be sold by Linden Homes to the Scouts for  £1 pound.   

 

(3). Appeal withdrawn. Lapthorne, Adsborough. Ref 14/12/0015. The Clerk advised that the applicant had withdrawn the appeal. It was noted that the house was presently for sale. CS advised that Adsborough residents believe the appellant had been told they may lose the appeal and were advised to submit afresh application.

(4) Planning. The TDBC Consultation on future development in CSM (31-10-13 to 12-12-13) and their Exhibition will take place on Tuesday 3rd Dec at 3.30pm-7pm in the Village Hall Cttee room.

 

(5) Affordable Housing. CS advised that she had learned from TDBC Jo Humble that day by email (to be circulated as correspondence) that a local connection clause will be within the S106 planning agreements for the three schemes in Hyde Lane. At present only one has been signed, whilst the remaining two are still working their way through the legal process. SW explained that TDBC identified housing needs based on applications submitted and suggested that was a system for identifying wants, which was quite different. It would be difficult to get bungalows built when family homes where the requested priority.

 

13/254. Accounts.

(1) Payments approved. The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, the Clerks Nov Expense’s £69.80, HMRC (Tax Due on Salaries) £194.45, British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 1-10-13 to 1-11-13) £76.70, Soc Local Council Clerks Membership 13/14 £129, Somerset Playing Fields’ Assoc Subscription 13/14 £10.00, SCC £186.59 Sign, Greenslade Taylor Hunt

(MC Valuation) £180.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning (Bus Shelters) £45.00 and CSM Village Hall (Hall Hire 2013) £169.00.

           

(2) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; Tone Youth Rec Park Oct pitch hire £80, North Taunton Youth club Rec Park Oct pitch hire £20. Parish Post Advert Income for 2013; Parish Magazine adverts; Way Ahead Community Services £15

 

(3) Insurance. The PC consider a request to arrange to cover at a cost of £55 a new flood prevention pump that has been acquired by the Ham Residents.  Action. The PC agreed to arrange the insurance and that the PC would meet the cost of it insuring the pump.

 

(4). Precept 2014/15. The clerk introduced the draft precept (separately circulated) for 2014/15. He highlighted the outstanding commitments that accounted for much of the PC balances. He also listed the additional items that the PC had agreed to proceed with this year that had not been identified in the previous year and asked that all aspirations and aims be identified in order that they can be provide for. The Clerk explained the draft precept suggested provided for a ‘stand still’ precept (e.g. the amount actually paid as Council Tax by residents), in fact this represents a net saving for householders when inflation is accounted for, despite spending being above the precept meaning choices would have to be made in future years. A decision has to be made at the Jan PC meeting on the 14/15 precept.

 

13/255. Highways.

(1) Updates. No progress was reported on requested improvements to the A38 Adsborough, North End footpath, Access to Creech St Michael from Monkton Heathfield and speed calming in Hyde Lane. The Clerk had raised the street lighting on the DWH estate in Hyde Lane with SCC but had yet to be advised of progress.

Action. The Clerk to continue to ask SCC regarding the Lighting in Hyde Lane.

 

(2) Signs. GL and PC had met with SCC engineers and reported that they had agreed a site for the new village sign. As this utilised a 30 mph notice pole a reduction in cost of £69.70 had been achieved. This would reduce the £256.29 cost of the requested Rec Park direction sign to be sited by the Vets surgery.

Action. The Clerk to order the new Rec Park direction sign from SCC.

 

(3) Wessex Water (Ham) Sewerage Works project. GH,GL,PC reported that they had attended the meeting held 11th November 2013. Negotiations are still ongoing with Tarmac as the price being sought for access was considered too high. Two of the other three landowners have now agreed and WW are optimistic that the remaining landowner will not wish to frustrate the much needed access road. DF had asked if the road build could be started on the land that had been agreed. WW had restated the road would be in place before the next phase of works begins. Residents have raised their concerns over the verges in Ham Road and WW had agreed to undertake an additional interim survey. 

 

13/256. Footpaths and Rights of Way

Update on defects. PC advised that he had walked the footpath by Down House and the path by the motorway bridge. He had raised several issues with SCC Rights of Way Officer. SCC had also agreed to clear a blocked culvert at North End.

 

13/257. Website.

See item 13/250 above. AB,CS and JM were thanked again by the Parish Council for their work on the new website.

Action. The Council agreed that website advertisers would pay £50 in 2014 if they also advertised in the Parish Post and £60 if not.

 

13/258. Merlyn’s Copse.

See item 13/250 above.  An additional PC meeting to prepare for the sale is to be held on 16th December at 7pm.

 

13/259.Hearing Loop. KH recommended the purchase of a Bosch CCS900 Conference and PA system at an estimated

 price of £2,985.00 plus VAT.

Action. The Clerk to order the Bosch Conference System and arrange appropriate storage and training.

 

13/260. Parish Post.  CS reported that the latest edition had been collected from the printers for distribution this week and that advertising invoices would be issued in December. Particular thanks were given to Jo Morrison for her work on the cover and on advertising and to Emma Tucker for her splendid village logo.            .

Action. The PC agreed advertising rates would remain unchanged for 2014.

 

 

 

 

13/261. Correspondence.

(1) St Michaels Church Carol Service. A request had been made by the Church for a member of the PC to undertake a reading.

Action. The PC agreed that the Chairperson (KH) undertake the reading.

 

(2) United Charities. Phil Dunstan (a former PC Clerk) who has responsibility for the Charities operations is about to leave the area. There are three Charities Trustees and it is hoped a replacement can be agreed at the Annual Meeting to be held on 5th Dec.

Action. The PC agreed that GH undertake this role on its behalf. 

 

(3) Flooding. The public are being invited by SCC to have their say on plans to manage the risk of flooding in Somerset. Feedback an all aspects of the draft SCC ‘Flood Risk Management Strategy’ can be made along with an on-line questionnaire to be completed at: http://www.somersetconsults.org.uk/consult.ti/LFRMS/consultationHome

The consultation closes on 23 December with a final draft going to Cabinet for approval on 5 February 2014.

 

13/262. New Matters to be carried forward.

None.

 

The meeting ended at 10.20pm (YG had to leave at 10.05pm).

 

Future Meetings; The next Parish Council meetings will take place on Monday, 16th December 2013 (this is an additional meeting which will be closed to public and press on commercial grounds) and on Monday 6th January 2014 (both at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room; beginning at 7pm). 

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net