/ Parish Council / 2014 Minutes / 12th May 2014 Agm



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 12th May 2014

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present: K Hunt (Chairperson), G Hodge and S Hutchings (Vice Chairs), P Chetwynd, Y Guest, G Lucas, J Middleton and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). Also in attendance was SCCllr David Fothergill. No members of the public attended.   

 

14/88. Public Speaking. No member of the public asked to address the Parish Council.

 

14/89. Apologies. D Knight, K Reed and S Wellman (Parish Councillors).

 

13/90. Election of Chairperson. Ken Hunt was re-elected as Chairperson. KH then signed the acceptance of office. He thanked PCllrs for supporting him and undertook to lead the Council according to its standing orders. He emphasised the high standards he expected of the Council and its Councillors. He explained he was looking forward to all the Council working closely together in order to tackle a full programme of work which is facing the Council.

 

13/91. Declarations of Interest.  CS explained that she is now a Director of her husbands building company. The company is doing work for a resident who may bid for Merlyn’s Copse. The company also works with the Architects who are interested in doing design work for a replacement to the pavilion at the rec ground.

 

13/92. Election of Vice-Chairperson. Simon Hutchings and Graham Hodge were re-elected as Vice chairs.

 

13/93. Appointment of representatives and working party members. Action. It was agreed to determine the membership of the panels at the next meeting and that the existing arrangements would prevail until any changes are agreed.

 

13/94. Minutes of the 7th April meeting (these had been previously circulated to Cllrs). No changes were requested and the minutes were then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record of the meeting

 

13/95. Matter arising from the meeting of the 7th April. The Clerk reported that;

14/69 The mayor had been booked for the afternoon of the Party in Park.

14/6   Safety survey of Hyde Lane (by cottages). This would now be done in preparation of the closure of North End, Langaller.

14/39 The shelf required for Comms equipment  is still outstanding.

13/224 Parish Plan. The PCllrs have yet to be identified to join the two parishioners who wish to be involved in panel to lead the compilation of a parish plan along with the Clerk.

14/77(2). A no dog fouling sign had been requested for the canal carpark footpath.

14/76 The need for the sewerage system in Hyde Lane to be replaced/improved or not has yet to be finalised.

14/77 Debris left over from the flooding had been removed from the river bank.

 

14/96. County & District Councillors’ Reports.

DF congratulated the PC on the very successful annual Parish Meeting held the previous Friday.

(1) A38 Adsborough. DF advised that the 50mph speed limit proposals are now out for consultation.

(2) North End virtual Footway projects. DF advised one objection had been received and this now needs to be resolved.

(3) North End Closure, Langaller.  The Clerk advised the contractors road closure would now start 27th May for 20 weeks and he had been advised a footpath and cycle way would be kept open. It was noted advance warning signs had now been put up earlier in the day. SCC have agreed to implement a 20 mph limit during the works in Hyde Lane.

(4) Monkton Heathfield Eastern Relief Road. DF advised that the contractors are required to install the round about on the relief road before the 651st house. This created two problems as land ownership was not clear and the land owner were holding out for ransom sums. If 651 plus are not built the school wont go ahead or road and a stalemate exists.

The developer is pushing for the 651 limit to be raised and sheltered housing to be reduced. TDBC are holding out against both and PCllrs expressed their support. A discussion took place about the merits of access from Hyde Lane onto the ERR and whether the improved access that would create is outweighed by increased nos of cars uncontrollably cutting through. A view that this may be the case in the short term it was unlikely in the longer term was expressed.

(5) Hyde Lane. CS advised that a parishioner had suggested crossing points be installed outside the school/health centre. DF highlighted that there are various types of crossing but once the PC was clear on what they wanted he would consider submitting this as the second of the two schemes he can suggest per year. YG advised that no complaints had been received now the walking to school scheme was in place. The impact of lorries on Hyde Lane was now being discussed and the need to avoid school start and finish times recognised. Signs outside rockets cottage had been installed. An offer to have some parking spaces in the development behind the health centre had not come to fruition.

Action. The Clerk to write to Ian Titcombe of SCC Highways asking for his advice.

(6). Verge cutting. DF advised that he had raised with highways the need for verge cutting at Walford Cross  at the weekend and this had been done the following day. GL raised that one verge had been missed. The verge at Cheats Road, Ruishton (both sides of the road) are uncut and that this made these crossing even more dangerous.

Action. DF agreed to request that the missed verge at Walford Cross and the junction at Cheats Road/Lipe Lane be cut.

(7) Representation on TDBC. No TDBC report. It was recognised that with DD having been appointed for the year as TDBC Mayor it was likely given the demands of that role that he would be able to attend few PC meetings.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk write to TDBC asking for alternative arrangements to be put in place.

 

 

 

 

 

14/97. Recreation Park.

Update report. (1) Football. CS advised that the last football match had been played on Saturday. There will be three teams playing on a Sunday next season and 1 on a sat morning with some training taking place on a weds evening.

Action. The Clerk to let the Deane DLO know there will be no more matches until mid august.

 

(2) Play Equipment Independent Safety Inspection. An independent inspection had been undertaken and a report received. A small number of low or very low risk items had been identified and as a result no equipment needs to be taken out of use.

Action. KR to follow up the points identified for repair by the Independent Inspector.

 

 (3) Pavilion Door. PC reported that the internal lock had been broken on the steel toilet door. He had arranged for two contractors to visit and provide quotes to repair.

 Action. The PC agreed that the Chairperson and Clerk could authorise the repairs once the quotes where received.

 

(4) Development report. CS reported that the Clerk had previously circulated a pack of information received from Architects TJ Spurway and Mark Richmond to PCllrs and suggested that an architect be appointed to assist the PC up to the planning permission stage for a replacement pavilion at an estimated cost of £5,000.00. SH noted the widely varying estimated build costs. A discussion then ensued on the need for long terms plans for the rec park. It was noted that Linden Homes had briefed at the Annual Parish Meeting on the 9th May that they intended to replace the five bed homes in their development plans with six additional smaller houses. Whilst Linden had been firmly told this was not wanted or supported such a proposal would generate more s106 money and would put back its receipt. It was also noted from the joint meeting held with WMPC on the 1st May that they had plans for two pitches, a pavilion and possibly a skateboard Park in Hyde Lane too and that those and the wider Monkton Heathfield urban development would impact.

Action. It was agreed that at the next PC meeting to undertake as the key piece of business for the PC an initial planning  exercise to determine what PCllrs vision and priorities for the park are. This will be led by the Clerk.

 

(5) TME. KH explained that the lease had been given to TME. This included the changes asked for by PCllrs.

On receipt TME have said it was not what was expected and that they now need to take Legal advice.  The Clerk advised that TME had just paid their rent until Sept 2014.

Action. The Parish Council authorised the Chairman and the Clerk to bring the matter to it an early conclusion.

 

14/98. ‘Party in the Park’ Village event 12th July 2014. CS advised that many of the attractions had now been booked, along with the evening band, marquee and that sponsorship had been received from Wessex Water and Linden Homes. A website www.creechpartyin the park.com had been established .There remains much to be done. CS presented a budget (copy attached) which was agreed and an Imprest of £250 to enable payments to be made was authorised. The afternoon’s events will take place between 1-4pm and the evening entertainment 7-11.30pm.  The afternoon would be free but the Evening events will be by advance sold tickets only at £2.50 adult £1 children. Further volunteers to help wanted.  

 

14/99. Planning

(1). Monkton Heathfield development. The Clerk had circulated in advance of the PC meeting a note of a joint meeting of representatives from CSM PC and WM PC held on the 1st May attended by SH,GL,SW and himself. He recapped the key points emerging and the notes were agreed as an accurate record.

Action. The Clerk to invite Tim Burton Chief Planner at TDBC to a joint meeting to update the Councils on the developments progress and to press SCC for temporary access off the Eastern Relief Road roundabout to Hyde Lane cottages. The Chair person to the draft a letter to the Secretary of State Eric Pickles for the Council to endorse.  

(2) Applications received: The Council having considered the Planning Panel’s report decided;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

21 3 14

14 14 0019

CHANGE OF USE OF SINGLE BAY FOR SERVICING AND MOT OF VEHICLES OTHER THAN MOTOR HOMES AND CARAVANS, WITH A CHANGE OF USE TO PERMIT SALE AND DISPLAY OF MOTOR VEHICLES OF A TYPE SUITABLE FOR TOWING A CARAVAN, AT SOMERSET COUNTY CARAVANS, WALFORD CROSS, CREECH ST MICHAEL

TO SUPPORT. Observed that this suggested car sales at the site in future.

1 4 14

14 14 0025

14 14 0026LB

CONVERSION OF OUTBUILDINGS AND BARNS TO ANCILLARY ACCOMMODATION AND SELF CONTAINED ANNEX AT HUSK FARM, CREECH ST MICHAEL

TO SUPPORT.

7 4 14

14 14 0028

ERECTION OF REPLACEMENT FRONT PORCH AT 3 QUEENS DOWN, CSMH

TO SUPPORT.

8 4 14

14 14 0029T

APPLICATION TO CARRY OUT MANAGEMENT WORKS TO ONE HORNBEAM TREE INCLUDED IN TAUNTON DEANE BOROUGH (CREECH ST. MICHAEL NO.1) TREE PRESERVATION ORDER 1986 AT BRAINSTORM, CHARLTON  ROAD, CREECH HEATHFIELD (TD363)

TO SUPPORT.

17 4 14

14 14 0033

INSTALLATION OF A FIRST FLOOR WITH FIRST FLOOR EXTENSION AT TONEBREEZE, BULL STREET, CREECH ST MICHAEL

TO SUPPORT.

8 5 14

14 14 0027

ERECTION OF A FENCE AT SUMMMERFIELD COTTAGE CSM

TO SUPPORT in principle but to a height of 6 foot only.

14/100. Accounts

(1) Payments approved; Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC (Tax Due on Salaries), the Clerks April Expense’s

     £122.96, British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 1-3-14 to 1-4-14) £41.90, Porter Dodson (TME Lease

     Legal Fees) £686.40, QSP (Taunton) Ltd (APM Flyer printing) £30.00,  K Signs (APM Banner) £60.00, The Play

     Inspection Co (Inspection on Play Equipment) £125.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus Shelter Cleaning 7 5 14)

     £45.00 Mrs C Sampson (Reimb for Reptiles on Route and  Groove-a-licious band booking fees  for Park event)         

     £250.00 and C Sampson £250 Imprest for the event.

 

 

(2) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; Other income received and banked;  

      Taunton Model Engineers (Rent 1 4 14 -30 9 14) £550.00, Wessex Water (Open day sponsorship) £500.00, Tone

      Youth (Hire of pitch March) £60.00. Parish Magazine adverts 2014.  Happy at Home Ltd £40.00 and Jim Pike

      Electrical Contractor £15.00

                                               

14/101. Highways

 See items 14/96 above.

(1) North End Fence repairs. The Clerk advised that the driver had proactively spoken to him during the month and that it appeared the delay was with the contractor undertaking the work.

(2) Defects reported. The Clerk explained that he reported a pothole on the railway bridge which has since been repaired and that a bollard outside 52 Crufts Meadow had been damaged.

 

14/102. Footpaths and Rights of Way.

None reported.

 

14/103. Ham Sewerage Treatment Works alternative access.

The Clerk reported that he now had a reply from Tarmac “explaining that they fully understand the PCs concerns about the volume of WW HGVs on the narrow roads and that the Council want WW to construct a new access road, part of which crosses the entrance to their works. Since 2008 Tarmac has had periodic discussions to discuss the grant of easement rights but the only offer made by WW for this right has been demand unacceptable. The company remains open to full and frank discussion at a time and venue to suit WW in order that an agreement can be reached.“

 

The Clerk advised that WW had been invited to the APM held last Friday but as they had not been able to attend they had provide an update report; Work on site on capacity enhancement: Despite the recent bad weather progress on site on the current scheme has been maintained, with the bulk of the works still forecast to be completed by Christmas 2014. We have now started to move in to the stage of the scheme where the bulk of the remaining work involves the delivery and installation of mechanical and electrical equipment. Work will still be required in 2015, but this should mainly be dealing with snags and defects that will have appeared and need to be addressed. Capital maintenance moving on in to AMP6: The other works required on site are now starting to progress, with the detail design being complete for the sludge digester improvements and other maintenance works. Procurement has now started and work will commence on site shortly. Residents should not see any real difference in terms of traffic management, but as before the contractors will be asked to review their proposed traffic movements and we will be updating residents as we do now. If the full traffic marshalling needs to be reinstated then we will consider this. New access road: The CPO is ready for the final stage submission to DEFRA who will then make their determination based on feedback received to the advertisements. The ‘Draft’ Order will be advertised in the local press for two weeks from 15th May, as well as on boards erected at various points where they can be seen by the public. There has unfortunately still been no formal response from Tarmac or their agent to our requests for a meeting or offer of an independent valuation of the land in question. Of the remaining landowners, one has still to respond to the latest proposals that have been put forward.  We are still looking to progress the first phase of the road  and have produced a planning application for the interim junction improvements that will be submitted shortly. However, we still need one landowner to agree to the changes and await a response. If a satisfactory response is received then we are looking to start on this section towards the end of the Summer.”

 

A copy of the compulsory purchase order had also been received on 7th May and this had been circulated to PCllrs in advance of the meeting.

 

14/104. Correspondence. None raised. 

 

14/105. New Matters to be carried forward.

Hyde Lane Traffic calming /safety.

 

The Chairman closed the meeting to the Public and Press in order to discuss staff matters, purchase of a Copse and the sale of Merlyn’s Copse (both commercially sensitive).

 

Future Meetings; The next Parish Councils meetings will be held on Monday 2nd June 2014 and on Monday 7th July 2014 at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room (beginning at 7pm).

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net