/ Parish Council / 2014 Minutes / 17th November 2014 Extra Mtg



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 17th November 2014

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present: K Hunt (Chairperson), S Hutchings (Vice Chair), S Greenhalgh, G Lucas, K Reed, C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCCllr D Fothergill, TDBCllr D Durdan, TDBCllr K Durdan. 8 members of the public attended.   

 

14/218. Chairpersons Welcome. Cllr Hutchings’ welcomed everyone and explained that he had been asked by the Chairperson to Chair the PC meeting. In order to give appropriate time to all the Councils business this was the second meeting taking place in November with half of the agenda items having been carried over to the meeting.    

 

14/219. Public Speaking. No Parishioners asked to speak.

 

14/220. Apologies. PCllrs Y Guest, G Hodge, D Knight and I Wright apologised and the reasons were accepted.

 

14/221. Declarations of Interest.  None made. PCllr Hutchings advised he may need to declare an interest and did so later in the meeting at item 14/224. SH left the room for that item.

 

14/222. County & District Councillors’ Reports. 

DF advised that;

(1) Consultations – SCC are currently undertaking consultations (online) on Libraries (particularly the Mobile Library Service) and on Bus routes.

(2) Salt Bags. – available to the PC from the Prioirswood depot. Action. PCllr Hutching to collect and distribute.

(3) Development enforcement-that the TDBC Planning Enforcement Officer John Hardy is responsibility for enforcing the requirements of the traffic plans for the development sites in Hyde Lane.

(4) North End Virtual Footway. Implementation is on hold until the works at Langaller are completed.

(5) A38 Adsborough improvements. Scheme progressing.

(6) Hyde Lane/Creech Heathfield. Additional warning Signs have been put out by SCC.

 

KD advised that;

(1) Sign opp Bus stop by Vets to be replaced shortly.

(2) Hyde Lane. KD shared her concerns about risk of Lorries to the Children, particularly by the school and passing the parked cars and gave an example of a lorry taking 25 mins to exit Hyde Lane at end of School day. DF suggested raising them as they arose with the site offices. The Clerk suggested that the TDBC enforcement officer be notified; DD advised that the enforcement officer was keeping a dossier of items reported to him .

 

DD advised that;

(1) Small Businesses Sat 6th Dec. TDBC had agreed that after 2pm there would be free parking in Taunton on 6th Dec.

(2) Legal Highs. TDBC have welcomed the decision of the Wicked shop to stop stocking Legal Highs in Taunton.

(3) Needles. KD and DD had joined members of Avon and Somerset Police, SWAG and Volunteers who had spent a day touring Vivary, French Weir and Victoria Parks with the result 400 needles had been picked up. PCllrs expressed their

disgust that children be put at risk in this way.

 

14/223. Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities. (1) KH explained that it was felt too early to allocate the new PCllrs specific duties and therefore he suggested that this item be deferred to the new year. (2) KH raised his concern that the article he had submitted for the next edition of the Parish Post as the Chairperson of the PC had in part been challenged. As the Parish Councils Chairperson KH questioned the ability of anyone, save the PC Proper Officer, to edit his articles. KH also expressed his concern over the word limit on his article, which whilst acknowledging was agreed, was in practice proving inadequate. A discussion then ensued about whether the Chairpersons article should reflect the Chairpersons personal views or those of the PC and whether the article was all factually correct or not. SH in his role as Chair of the meeting decided that as no proposal had been submitted for inclusion in the agenda then the item could not be taken at the meeting.   

 

14/224. Merlyn’s Copse. The Clerk explained that the MC panel had reflected on and agreed with former PCllr Charlie Cudlips option report that had been presented to the PC on the 6th October; CC opinion was that the Copse is too small to do much with and that it should be sold.  The Panel had also received and accepted SALC’s legal advice that the PC can’t sell assets below “market value.” So the panel proposed that the PC obtain a further, third, valuation and move the Copse on an ongoing basis for sale at a price to be agreed but at no lower than the lowest quotation obtained. He explained that the panel felt the PC should accept the first offer at or above (but not below) market value, that the PC should proceed with the process of obtaining additional valuations etc now so in place before the key sales period in March. That anyone involving themselves in the sale process will have been deemed to have excluded themselves from purchasing the Copse.  In order to present the Copse for sale in a reasonable condition it recommended the site be cleared of roots and cuttings. The Clerk had examined the site for H&S issues and was content it was safe, the Copse would continue to be monitored, particularly for flooding risk, by the Parish Caretaker weekly. Three quotations had been obtained for the removal of the roots only. SH left the room and declared an interest. SG raised that the small length of Stream at the back of the Copse needed clearing.

Action.  It was agreed that the Clerk be authorised to negotiate the clearing of the stream at the back of the Copse, removal of the resulting spoil and the removal of the vegetation previously cut and then to award the work. It was agreed that the sale of the Copse would continue on the above basis.

 

14/225. Recreation Park. (1) Plan. The PC considered the Architect that attended the PC at the last meetings recommendations to conduct a users (incl potential users) consultation day and to carry out site visits. It decided to do both itself rather than to employ someone to do the consultation. The PC also considered whether to buy the Copse/s at the rear of the Park or not and decided to postpone making a decision until the results of the consultation are known. CS advised S106 money invoice to DWH has been raised.

 

 

Action. The Rec Park Panel to undertake 3 reference site visits and then report their findings to the PC and to work closely with the Parish Plan panel to undertake a single “joined up” consultation of Parishoners and potential and current Park users. The Clerk to include in the Dec PC meeting agenda an item on whether to have one panel responsible for the Rec Park and Parish Plan rather than two panels as at present.

 

(2) Park Fencing. IW and DK have been previously asked to look at the Park fencing and their report is awaited.

 

(3) Park Drains. IW and DK have been previously asked to establish whether the Park drain covers need replacing or other action taken. A discussion took place on the need for them to replace them or not. SH is obtaining quotations.

 

(4) Park Update.SH explained that parts worth £40.65 had been ordered from Kompan in order to repair damage to the children’s play equipment. The parts are awaited.

 

14/226. TME. The Clerk explained that the TME Panel had met with TME and had reached agreement over the outstanding issues on the proposed lease. These are (1) Reinstatement: on leaving the Park the Loco shed would remain in place and that the rest of the site would be restored by and at cost to TME to level and grassed. (2) Lease Period: the five year lease will include a clause that states that at or after four and a half years into the five year lease both the Council and TME will have an obligation to negotiate a further period of five years. If either party wishes not to renew then the negotiation would be completed before the end of the five year period. (3) Small Car Park. It was agreed to give a Key to the new gate to TME. The Clerk further explained that the Ground inside the loop could be utilised by the Parish Council but whilst no professional assessment had been undertaken TME did not feel the land in the Copse at the rear of the Park could be utilised without significant (and therefore costly) work. TME

representatives present explained to the PC that TME did not have the resources physical or financial as they have to subsidise to keep running, that the  loop was critical to their operations and was the minimum size that can be operated. It was noted that if the embankment spoil is removed then it would not be available for reinstatement.

KH explained that the PC had been negotiating for 3 years with TME in good faith and suggested their tenancy was to the benefit of both parties. KR and CS felt the land could be better used for the benefit of the Parish. GL highlighted the previous consultation undertaken at which the Parishioners were in favour of TME, they bring a lot of pleasure and the PC benefits from the rent income. SG proposed that as the PC was about to consult on the Rec Park and Parish plans that a decision on TMEs tenancy be made after the results were known. This was agreed.

 

14/227. Planning. Applications received: The Panel reported that they had yet to make a decision on the application received and the PC agreed to consider at the 1st Dec meeting;

4/11/14

14/14/0053

ERECTION OF REPLACEMENT PORCH ON FRONT ELEVATION AT 3 LABURNUM TERRACE, CREECH ST. MICHAEL, TAUNTON (RETENTION OF WORKS ALREADY UNDERTAKEN)

 

14/228. Accounts.

(1) The following payments were approved; 3D Security (29.9.14-2.11.14) at Rec Park £270.00, Jim Pike (Repair of Extension Leads) £75.00 and SLCC (Clerks Training) £82.80.

 

(2) Accounts. The Clerk had circulated a bank reconciliation report for the period 1/4/14 to 30/9/14 prior to the meeting.  The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2014 to 30 Sept 2014 is £13,068.40 and the expenditure for the same period is £35,748.92. The report was then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record. The Clerk asked the PCllrs for any items to be included in the budget as he would present a draft at the Dec Mtg. The PC thanked the Clerk for his work on the PC finances.

 

(3) Risk Assessment of Assets. The PC considered the report (previously circulated) on the annual Risk Assessment of each of the Councils Assets. The audit had been conduced principally by the Parish Caretaker with assistance from CS and the Clerk. It was noted that an additional seat had been donated and sited in the park and it was agreed that a second dog bin in Bull St did not exist. The report was then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record  

Action. Clerk to amend insurance and the Chairperson to ask the Parish caretaker to undertake cleaning and painting as identified.

 

(4) Fin Regulation and Controls. The PC considered the Clerks report (previously circulated) on the “emergency payment process”. It was agreed that for revenue items the limit would be increased to a maximum £500 (excluding VAT) which the Chairperson in conjunction with the Clerk can authorise in the event of an emergency, subject to reporting the action at the next meeting of the full PC. A discussion took place on what constituted an emergency, a good example given was of parts to repair damaged children’s play equipment. It was decided that the Chairperson and Clerk would decide what is an emergency.   

 

(5) PAT Testing.  The PC considered wether to agree to issue a contract for PAT Testing rather than get quotations each year as the charge was only £20. It was agreed that if the price remains broadly as currently charged then the contract could be issued for upto three years and to include the Parish Post Editors Laptop in the testing next year.

 

14/229. Highways.   

(1) North End virtual Footway project. See update by DF at 14/222 (4) above.

(2) Hyde Lane. Parking (between the school and the entrance to the new medical centre) and impact of new Developments.

(3) Updates on A38 Adsborough, Access to Creech St Michael from Monkton Heathfield (DF), installation of lighting and speed calming in Hyde Lane. See update by DF at 14/222 (5) above.

(4) Langaller Road Closure. See update by DF at 14/222 (6) above.

 

 

 

(5) Defects reported. 5.1 KH referred to the article that appeared in the Somerset County Gazette during the week in which SCC Highways had responded to a parishioners concerns about the amount of and speed of traffic in CSM.            

  5.2 GL raised that a pothole had developed in Hyde Lane close to the junction with Arundells Way.

  Action. The Clerk to report the pothole to SCC.

  5.3 SG raised that in St Michael’s road that part of the path was slippery as it was covered in leaves and mud.

  Action. GL to examine the pavement in St Michael’s road .

 

14/230. Correspondence.

GL raised the brook to the rear of West View and Cook Close and that further work had yet to be undertaken.

 

The meeting closed at 9.15pm.

 

Future Meetings; The next full Parish Council meetings will be held on Mondays 1st December 2014 and 5th January 2015. All meetings to take place at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room (beginning at 7pm).

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net