/ Parish Council / 2014 Minutes / 1st September 2014



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 1st September 2014

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present: K Hunt (Chairperson), S Hutchings (Vice Chair), C Cudlip (from item 14/168), D Knight, G Lucas, K Reed, C Sampson, John Middleton and Ian Wright (from item 14/168)(Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). Also in attendance was SCCllr David Fothergill and TDBCllr Kelly Durdan. 9 members of the public attended.   

 

14/164. Chairpersons Welcome. Cllr Hunt began by welcoming everyone and explained that the PC meeting are recorded. He explained that 10 mins are set aside for public questions before the meeting starts. The PC would not normally enter in discussion that night but would consider the points made and respond as appropriate shortly.   

 

14/165. Public Speaking. 3 Parishioners spoke;

(1) Jane Withey highlighted that in March Wessex Water had said they would undertake road repairs in Ham Road when the weather was better but had not done this with the result SCC has had to do so. JW advised that Ham Road had been blocked today without notice for repairs. JW stated subsidence was now evident and the residents did not know if further repairs are to be done. JW asked if the PC would ask for an update on the proposed relief road. The Clerk advised that he had written previously to both WW and Tarmac urging both to bring this matter to an urgent conclusion.

Action. The Clerk to write to both WW and Tarmac and express the Councils strongest desire to have the relief road built and to ask when the two parties would meet. Also the Clerk to write to SCC Highways to learn of planned further repairs.

 

(2) Steve Greenhalgh explained that he had attended the PC on the 5th June to learn what was happening to Merlyn’s Copse. As suggested by a PCllr he explained he had asked under the Freedom of Information Act for a copy of the recordings of the meetings. SG highlighted that he had not asked for recording for the closed meetings which he understood to be commercially sensitive.  SG also raised that he had exchanged a string of emails with the Clerk asking for a copy of the tape recordings and not just the minutes. SG advised that he had been informed that none of the PCllrs had contacted Chesterton Humberts (the agents handing the sale) and he also had a letter from Chesterton’s stating that the bid had not been accepted. SG suggested that someone somewhere had got their lines crossed; either at CH or one of the PC.

Action.  KH to consider and task someone with coming back to SG on this.

 

(3) Adrian Birch. SG has made the points clear. SG asked that the recordings be retained for safe keeping.  

 

14/166. Apologies. Parish Councillors Y Guest, G Hodge and TDBCllr Dave Durdan. GH and YG apologies accepted.

 

14/167. Declarations of Interest.  No PCllr disclosed an interest.    

 

14/168.  Election of Members Co-opted onto the Parish Council. The Clerk explained that there are two vacancies following the resignation of PCllrs P Chetwynd and S Wellman. As the requisite number of Parishoners had not asked for an election the PC now had the ability to make cooption’s. The Clerk explained following advertising of the vacancies five Parishoners had showed interest in the roles. Three were present and each were invited to and gave an explanation of how they could help the Parish and responded to questions. A vote then took place, managed by the Clerk with the count observed by DF. The outcome was that Charlie Cudlip and Ian Wright were co-opted as PCllrs. CC and IW duly signed their declaration of acceptance of office and the public register of members’ interests and took up office as PCllrs.

 

14/169.  Minutes of the 24th July. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). No changes were requested and the minutes were then signed and dated by the Chairperson as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

14/170.  Matters arising from the Minutes of the meeting held on 7th and 24th July 2014. The Clerk reported that the outstanding actions (excluding those with specific agenda items) are;

 

14/39. The shelf required for Comms equipment is still outstanding.

13/224. Parish Plan. The PCllrs have yet to be identified to join the two parishioners who wish to be part of panel to lead the compilation of a parish plan along with the Clerk.

14/77(2). A no dog fouling sign had been requested for the canal car park footpath but it had not been installed yet or a reply received from TDBC. Action. The Clerk to remind TDBC of the request.

14/76. The need for the sewerage system in Hyde Lane to be replaced/improved is being queried with Wessex Water but a reply has yet to be received.

14/159(3). Rec Park toilet door. The contractor appointed complete the repairs has not done so yet.

Action. The Clerk to chase the contractor.

 

CS referred to minutes of the 7th July meeting and in particular the reference to the Clerk having checked his notes and the Clerk being given authority to get the best price for MC. In hindsight CS suggested that the tapes should have been listened to and that she would like a transcript of the meeting. CS stated that the minutes had now come out and they had been approved but CS did not agree this and did not believe the PC had.

Action. KH thanked CS for raising the matter and advised that he would be in touch on this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14/171.  Parish Post. Judith Hodge, the Editor attended to meet the PC. JH explained that the latest edition of the Parish Post is now out and that she was part of a team along with Bob Scott, Clare Sampson, Jo Morrison, Ruth White, Sue  Creighton , Linda Davidson, Kym Reed and Tony Murray. The Post had improved and was making money. She explained that she now had the PC funded by the Council which would be used by the team to produce the post. KH thanked JH and expressed his view that the post was an excellent production and that the PC purchased was a good

one. Other PCllrs added their praise and appreciate to JH and the team. A discussion took place around expenses and it was recognised that everyone is making a contribution to benefit their community but if any one incurred expenses that they can submit a receipt.   

 

14/172. Merlyn’s Copse. KH explained that the panel had met with the Clerk a couple of times but progressing this in august had been difficult. KH advised that he had tried to contact several people to remove the root balls but none were interested. KH advised that the panel will need September to complete their work and will report back in October.

CS asked what was actually happening. CS referred to Justin Robinson from SALC suggestion that another valuation be obtained and suggested that we co-opt someone else now to the panel now we have additional PCllrs. The Clerk confirmed that JR had highlighted a further valuation as an option but not as the preferred option. The Clerk explained that the panel had asked the Clerk to make enquiries of the Somerset Wildlife Trust to see if they were interested in the Copse but having visited had just advised that the Copse was too small and was outside of the other criteria they operate to. CS restated the suggestion to get a further valuation and thought that could be looked at simultaneously and queried why the PC had not discussed the woodlands trust. KH explained that the panel is tasked with looking at the way forward on the Copse and the panel wanted to look at SWT option before it came back. CS asked what was happening on the sale process, getting in touch with Chesterton Humberts to see why confusion has arisen and investigating what had happened during their sale process. KH advised that a similar request had already been made earlier in the evening and that he had already advised that he would respond in due course. The Clerk advised that he had obtained two quotes for clearing the vegetation and one for removing the tree stumps and a discussion took place on maintenance of MC.

Action.  The Clerk to accept Ian Pikes quote for clearing the vegetation provided it includes removing vegetation. The panel plus CC to meet on Friday to hold a site inspection on whether to remove the root balls. KH to ask the Caretaker to inspect the MC brook each week to ensure it is clear.

 

14/173. TME. The Clerk explained that the Solicitors acting for TME had suggested a round table meeting together. As this would lead to further costs the Chairperson had asked TME what the issues were that where still concerning them. In response TME had provided a document which the Panel had discussed. All the points (with some caveats) had been accepted bar one; that TME remain responsible for the restoration of the site in the event they leave or cease to operate. The Clerk had documented to the PC solicitors the PC response to each point along with a request that these be put to TME. This apparently had arrived the day after the solicitor had gone on annual leave and whilst the Clerk has spoken to her locum she was reluctant to do more than draft a response as there were many pitfalls to consider. CS highlighted that reinstatement had been a clause in the old agreement and the PC confirmed its importance. CS also enquired about TME’s access to the pavilion. The Clerk explained the intention is that the lease would continue to allow access until such time as a new facility is built. After that date new management arrangements would be put in place and TME would then have to book and pay for use as all users would.

Action. The Panel to complete the lease with TME and then circulate to all Parish Cllrs prior to signing.

 

14/174. Planning. Applications received: The Panel reported on applications received and the PC decided;

 Date

Ref

Application

Comments

25/07/2014

14/14/0043/T

APPLICATION TO FELL ONE HOLLY TREE AND TO CARRY OUT MANAGEMENT WORK TO ONE BEECH TREE INCLUDED IN TAUNTON DEANE BOROUGH (CREECH ST. MICHAEL NO.1) TREE PRESERVATION ORDER 2009 AT 1 ST. MICHAEL COTTAGES, VICARAGE LANE, CSM (TD1062)

To support.

30/07/2014

14/14/0044/CMB

PRIOR APPROVAL FOR PROPOSED CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL BUILDING TO DWELLING HOUSE (USE CLASS C3) AND ASSOCIATED BUILDING OPERATIONS AT CHARLTON ROAD, CREECH HEATHFIELD

For information only

31/07/2014

14/14/0046

ERECTION OF EXTENSIONS TO MAGNUM HOUSE, CREECH HEATHFIELD

PC concerned about the level of parking in the Droveway and questioned whether the enlargement would leave enough parking for the property.

04/08/2014

14/14/0042/AGN

APPLICATION FOR PRIOR NOTIFICATION FOR THE ERECTION OF AN AGRICULTURAL STORAGE BUILDING AT HAM FARM, HAM

For information only

15/08/2014

14/14/0047/OB

ERECTION OF A PREFABRICATED MODULAR UNIT FORMING TWO CLASSROOMS WITH ASSOCIATED ACCESS STEPS AND RAMP AT CSM PRIMARY SCHOOL, CREECH ST MICHAEL

To support but noted already completed.

 

14/175. Accounts.  (1) The following payments were approved; the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC (Tax Due on Salaries), the Clerks August Expense’s, British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 7-7-14 to 7-8-14) £35.52, G Hodge (Laptop & Software for Parish Post £533.94, Grant Thornton (Ext audit) £510.00. QSP (Parish Post Printing)£660.00,   A Birch (flood prevention works at MC) £1355.00.

 

(2) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; TDBC Grant for Rec Park and Burial Ground £2,155.00, Creech Allotment Society Rent (to Sept2015) £540.00, SCC Flood Grant £1,245.00. Other income received and banked; Party in the Park 12 7 14, Wellington Bouncy Castles (donation) £125.00  Parish Post Advert Income for 2014; Happy at      Home £40.00, Boiler juice £200.00, Mrs H Norman £60.00, Happy at Home £15.00, Jo’s K9 Walks £40.00.

 

 

 

(3) Accounts. The Clerk had circulated a bank reconciliation report for the period 1/4/14 to 30/6/14 prior to the meeting. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2014 to 30th June 2014 are £4,486.59 and the expenditure for the same period is £24,867.22. This report was accepted and then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record.

 

(4) Ext Audit. The Clerk had circulated a copy of the Ext Auditor Grant Thornton in advance of the meeting along with a revised Internal Financial Controls document. The Auditor had accepted and signed the accounts for 2013-2014 as correct and had raised two points. The early payment of Precept by TDBC had been shown in the wrong column and that the PC Internal Financial Controls need to include the quarterly reconciliation that had just been presented. The Councils IFC’s and the revised IFC document were reviewed and agreed.

  

(5) Risk Assessment of Assets. The Clerk had circulated a listing of the PC Assets in advance of the meeting. The Council discussed these and agreed its approach to the annual RA of the Councils Assets.

Action. KH to ask the Caretaker to review the assets with the exceptions that CS review those at Adsborough/Thurloxton and the Clerk is to examines the notice boards. The condition of each asset is to be reported to the Clerk before the next meeting so a report can be presented at the next PC meeting. 

 

14/176. Recreation Park.

(1) Rec Park Plan. KH asked if a rec park plan had been written. CS explained that now the PIP and the summer were over the panel were ready to take this forward. CS advised that the panel welcomed everyone’s ideas.

Action. Rec Panel to start the long term plan for the park and to report back at the next meeting.

 

(2) Park Security. DK advised that he had got three quotes for gating the small carpark. It was agreed to install a metal field gate with an adjacent gap from Taunton Fencing.   

Action. Clerk to instruct the company and DK to meet the contractor and agree the siting.

 

(3) Fencing. The Clerk explained that he had obtained a quote for repairs. The contractor having reviewed the site felt overall the structure of the whole fence is good and it had several years of life if the repairs needed were carried out. The quote is to replace any broken post and replace rails that are either broke or suspect. DK suggested further quotes are obtained and the future fencing requirements for the park are considered as part of the plan.

Action. DK to obtain further quotes to repair the fencing in the park and the most cost effective quote be accepted.

 

(4) Rec Park Copse. The Clerk explained that he had written to the owners again enquiring if they would agree to sell without reply.

Action.  SH to visit the owner.

 

14/177. County & District Councillors’ Reports.  DF advised that;

(1) A38. The 50 mph speed limit is now out again for consultation. The proposals now see the speed limit extended further through Adsborough to North Petherton. CS advised that the pedestrian refuge is missing from the plan and asked DF to confirm that this will still be part of the scheme. CS also enquired wether the work will commence in Nov and asked that the bus stops that form part of phase 2 be not forgotten.

 

(2) SCC. DF advised SCC were currently listening, learning and changing – road shows to listen are being held as £30m of savings would have to be found for next year, on top of the £100m already found in the past 4 years.

 

(3) Flood prevention. DF reported that dredging is going to plan and should be completed by the end of Oct. Work to raise the road to Mucheney is underway and new culverts are being installed under the Beer Wall to improve drainage.

 

(4) North End. DF advised that he would ask for an update on installation of the virtual footway. He suggested that it may have been delayed whilst the Langaller Road is closed.

 

(5) Langaller. Steve Greenhalgh advised that there was no footpath/cycle way through the works last Saturday. The Clerk confirmed that the PC had been reassured that a cycleway/footpath route would be kept open through the works to install a roundabout. DF undertook to raise this with Highways.  A suggestion was made that ‘pedestrians in road’ signs or similar are installed in Creech Heathfield whilst the work are undertaken. The enforceability of such signs where then discussed at some length but the need for them was accepted by the PC.

 

14/178. Highways.

(1) Hyde Lane. SH reported that GH had advised him that installation of lighting in by the Rec Park had commenced.

 

(2) Improvement Priorities. KR advised that the panel had met and come up with and had circulated a prioritised list of Highway improvements for the Parish. Further suggestions were invited. Those made include Traffic calming from Mill Lane to the shop and also at the other end of the village, the need for traffic calming through the DWH estate, the desired new link to the relief road at West Monkton and a crossing at the Arundells Way cross roads be added.

Action. All PCllrs to send their views to KR before the next meeting.

 

(3) Defects. GL highlighted the excellent job that had been done relaying St Michaels Road and that it was shame the “stop end” had not also been done.

 

(4) Road signs. Action. The Clerk to report to TDBC that a stay of the Arundells Way is broken.

 

14/179. Footpaths and Rights of Way. Nothing to report.

 

 

 

14/180. Correspondence.

 

(1) FofI. CS asked that all correspondence be circulated, including FofI requests such as Steve Greenhalghs.

KH responded by saying he would look at this suggestion.

(2) Website. CS requested to learn of the thinking behind circulating an email from SWS offering websites, highlighting that a lot of work had been and was going into the village website. KH explained that SALC had raised with him that Somerset Web Services were offering to manage websites and he had then obtained and passed the details around PCllrs so they were aware of the offer.

(3) Verge Cutting. The Clerk highlighted that he now believed that TDBC had now reversed its decision and had agreed to fund additional verge cutting. Once this had been confirmed the PC may wish to terminate its contract.

(4) Hyde Lane (mud on road). Several individuals had raised the mud on road and that some lorries were using Hyde Lane down to Bathpool from the Linden homes site. This was discussed at some length and in particular concern for school pupils walking down to West Monkton School was expressed.

Action.  DF to raise with SCC Highways. CC to call into the site and speak to the site manager. The Clerk to raise with the Police and John Hardy TDBC Planning enforcement officer.

 

14/181.  New Matters to be carried forward. Action. The Clerk was asked to update and circulate the PCllrs contact details once he has them.

 

The meeting ended at 9.50pm.

                     

Future Meetings; The next full Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 6th October 2014 and 3rd November 2014 at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room (beginning at 7pm).

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net