/ Parish Council / 2014 Minutes / 7th April 2014



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 7th April 2014

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present: K Hunt (Chairperson), G Hodge (Vice Chair), P Chetwynd, D Knight, G Lucas and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). Also in attendance was SCCllr David Fothergill and TDBCllr Dave Durdan. A member of the public attended.

 

14/65. Chairpersons Welcome. Cllr Hunt began by welcoming everyone.

 

14/66. Public Speaking. Eric Chown drew attention to the website stating that the meeting was to start at 7.30pm rather than the usual 7pm. This will be examined and corrected for the future. EC also highlighted the felling of the trees in the open space to the rear of West View. PCllrs informed him that the trees were in poor shape and the residents had asked for the work on H&S grounds to avoid tree limbs falling on the public.

 

14/67. Apologies. S Hutchings (Vice Chair), Y Guest, J Middleton, K Reed and S Wellman (Parish Councillor).

 

14/68. Declarations of Interest. No PCllr declared a personal interest.

 

14/69. County & District Councillors’ Reports.

(1) TDBC. DD reported that the Gov’t had given £750,000.00 to TDBC recognising its joint working with West Somerset.

 

(2) Mayor. DD reminded the PC that his year as Mayor would begin on 8th May.

Action. The Clerk to request that the Mayor attend the CSM Village Day on the 12th July.

 

(3) A38 Adsborough and North End virtual Footway projects. DF advised he had no further information.

 

(4) Hyde Lane Parking. DF advised that SCC had been receiving complaints on the volume of traffic using Hyde Lane.

DF was aware that traffic would increase further during the road closure at Langaller and during construction in Hyde Lane and he would ask the SCC Highway Engineer to visit. DD highlighted that future car parks had been promised. The PC endorsed GH expression of concern for the secondary school pupils walking to West Monkton.

 

(5) Potholes. DF advised that SCC was filling in 1036 potholes a week, over 25,000 in the past year; the most in a year to date.

 

(6) Registration Service. DF advised that the Service is currently being reviewed and that a consultation is currently being undertaken.

 

(7) Hestercombe House. DF advised that following SCC’s sale of the house to Hestercombe Gardens Trust that the House was opening to the Public wef 22nd May 2014. Hestercombe House is also used by the London Guild of Music.

 

14/70. Minutes of the 3rd March 2014 meeting (these had been previously circulated to Cllrs). No changes were requested and the minutes were then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record of the meeting

 

14/71. Matters arising from the 3rd March 2014 meeting minutes. The Clerk reported that;

14/6. Hyde Lane Cottages. The Clerk asked DF if the SCC safety survey DF had requested has been received yet. DF advised it had not.

13/254 Ham Road Flood Pump insurance. The Clerk advised that the residents pump had now arrived and that the Parish Councils Insurance now covered their pump.

13/255.The directional sign for the Rec Park and the new village sign for Hyde Lane are now in place.

14/17. Assets of Community Value. The PC request to give The Bell PH ACV status had been agreed to and registered by TDBC.

14/39. Shelf for Communications Equipment. SH has this in hand.

11/60 Car parking North End and Creech Heathfield. KH reported that YG had advised that the police had not yet advised her of th action they had taken on the poorly parked cars that were reported.

13/224. Parish Plan. The Clerk reported that Ann Oldham and Ruth Farrow have offered to join a panel to steer the development of a Parish Plan. He asked for interested Parish Councillors to work alongside himself and these volunteers to let him know of their interest.

 

14/72. Recreation Park.

Update report. CS presented a written report from the Rec Park panel. Key items;

 

(1) Grass cutting. CS reminded the PC that an annual grant of £1840 is given annually by TDBC for grass cutting.

A quotation had been obtained from the DLO for gang mowing, strimming, over marking of the grass and 4 weeds kills of the car park. This includes strimming the perimeters and over the mound at a total estimated cost of £2,194.24 and to roll the field £120. A further quotation had been requested from another contractor but they had refused to quote. It was agreed to accept the two quotes from the DLO.

 

(2) Play Equipment Independent Safety Inspection. Quotations had been received from the Play Inspection Co and Som Playing Fields Association. It was decided to ask Play Inspection to undertake the inspection at a cost of £125. The inspection is scheduled to take place this month. It was noted that two springs are waiting to be replaced by Sutcliffe’s along with a defect on the Muga surface.

 

(3) Development report. CS reported that initial discussions had been held with Architects TJ Spurway and Mark Richmond. Their initial suggestions both indicate a 200 sqm building and details of likely construction and professional costs had been obtained. CS advised that she would pass to the Clerk a pack for forwarding to PCllrs. CS advised that Lindon homes are now due on site in July and that a proposal will be brought to the PC in due course.

 

(4) Child Protection Policy.

CS reported that she had obtained a draft CPP from the Somerset Playing Fields Association and that the Clerk had tailored it for use in CSM and circulated PCllrs in advance of the meeting. The CPP was agreed.

Action. The Clerk to laminate a copy for use at the Pavilion and to provide the Parish Caretaker a copy.

 

(5) TME. KH explained that he had spoken to the solicitor and the document is now ready. A map had been requested and this had been provided. The next step is for TME to provide a Risk Assessment and then for TME to sign.

Action. The Clerk to request a copy of the TME’s RA and then for Chairperson to liaise with TME in order to get the agreement signed.

 

14/73. ‘Party in the Park’ Village event 12th July 2014. CS presented a written report from the Village Day panel (CS,DK,JM,JL,JM). The aim is to build on last year’s very successful event. It is hoped the event will be self financing, sponsorship is being sought. An advance/budget to finance interim expenditure is likely to be required at the next meeting. Details of the plans were given for both the afternoon’s events (1-4pm) and the evening entertainment (7-11.30pm). Evening Tickets will cost £2.50 adult £1 children. Further volunteers to help wanted.

14/74. Planning

(1). Developer Applications. SH will lead on these, currently three in Hyde Lane and at West Monkton.

 

(2) Planning. To advise on any strategic or developer planning issues. Including response to 48/14/0007

APPLICATION FOR THE APPROVAL OF RESERVED MATTERS FOLLOWING OUTLINE APPLICATION 48/05/0072 IN REGARDS TO LAND

PARCELS P4 AND P5 FOR THE ERECTION OF 109 DWELLINGS, ASSOCIATED HIGHWAYS, LANDSCAPING INCLUDING PUBLIC OPEN

SPACE ON LAND OFF BRIDGWATER ROAD, WEST MONKTON.

Action. SH to reply.


(3) Applications received: The Council having considered the Planning Panel’s report decided;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

28 2 2014

14/14/0012

PARTIAL DEMOLITION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION WITH ERECTION OF A TWO STOREY EXTENSION. REAR OF WHITE HORSE, CSM (AMENDED SCHEME 14/13/0046)

TO SUPPORT

28 2 2014

14/14/0013

PROPOSED SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION WITH A PATIO DOOR, 1 WINDOW AND 4 ROOF LIGHTS - 11 CHARLTON ROAD COTTAGES, CHARLTON ROAD, C HEATHFIELD

TO SUPPORT.

12 3 2014

14/14/0010

CHANGE OF USE OF LAND AND ERECTION OF STABLE BLOCK ON LAND OFF VICARAGE LANE, CREECH ST MICHAEL (RETENTION OF WORKS ALREADY UNDERTAKEN)

TO SUPPORT.

14 3 2014

14/14/0017

ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION TO THE SIDE AND REAR TO INCLUDE A CONSERVATORY TO THE SIDE AND PORCH TO THE FRONT.ENGINE HOUSE COTTAGE, CSM.

TO SUPPORT.

21 3 2014

4/14/14/0018

RETENTION OF MOBILE CLASSROOM E811 AT CREECH SCHOOL

TO SUPPORT.

27 3 2014

14/14/0015

ERECTION OF A DETACHED DWELLING AND DOUBLE GARAGE WITH ROOM OVER, ON LAND OFF HYDE LANE, CREECH ST MICHAEL

TO SUPPORT.

 

14/75. Accounts

(1) Payments approved; Clerks and Caretakers Wages, the Clerks March Expense’s £68.49, HMRC (Tax Due on Salaries) £194.45, British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 1-2-14 to 1-3-14) £27.98, Gordon Morris Ltd (Microphone System)

£3,582.00, Lightmain Ltd (Retention on Rec Park Play Equipment) £11,355.25, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus Shelters 19 3 14) £45.00, TDBC (Hyde Lane Litter bin) £474.00, TDBC (Rec Park Grass Cutting 2013) £2,370.12 and Came and Co (Ham Rd Flood Pump Ins p/t year) £25.00

 

(2) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; Other income received and banked; TDBC Precept 14-15 £29,063.83 , RFMC £2,185.66, Tone Youth (Hire of Pitch Feb) £20.00, Tone Youth (Hire of Pitch Mar) £60.00,SCC (Health & Wellbeing grant) £250.00, Santander (Interest) £3.48. Parish Post Advert Income for 2014; Phillip Dinnes Ltd £60.00, Lavender Rooms, Hestercombe £100.00 (Total Post Advert income for 2014 received to date £3,870). The Clerk thanked Marlon Jeffery for his assistance with acquiring the RFMC payment.

 

(3) SALC. The Clerk recommended affiliating to the Somerset Association of Local Councils following the removal of the Parish Liaison Officer Service by TDBC at a cost in the 14/15 year of £590.72. This was agreed.

 

(4) Internal Audit. It was agreed to reappoint B Howe as Internal Auditor on the same terms as last year.

 

(5) Final Year End A/cs. Accounts. The Clerk had previously circulated the accounts for the period 1st April 2103 to 31st March 2014 and explained them in detail at the meeting. The Accounts were unanimously accepted and Chairperson signed them once approved.

 

(6) Accounting Statements and Annual Governance Statement. The Clerk had previously circulated these documents which set out the Councils financial position and its responsibilities which it provides to the External Auditor Grant Thornton each year. The PC reviewed each responsibility in turn confirming it had undertaken each during the year. These documents were then agreed and the Chairperson signed them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

14/76. Highways

 

(1) A38 Adsborough and North End virtual Footway projects. See item 14/69 (3) above.

 

(2) Parking in Hyde Lane See item 14/69 (4). The Clerk reported that YG had advised that the walk to school scheme is on going and the first 3 prizes were drawn on the last day of term. The scheme will continue after the Easter break.

 

(3) Sewer replacement (Hyde Lane and St Michaels Road). GL explained that he had yet to identify who had promised to replace the sewers. The Clerk said that he believed that SCC Highways had given it as the reason they had postponed relaying the roads. When he had made enquiries of Wessex Water however they had advised that no works where now planned for either road.

Action. The Clerk to write to Wessex Water highlighting the difficulties experienced on occasions with sewerage systems at these locations and this will be acerbated by the additional housing planned.

 

(4) North End, Langaller. SCC had advised of road closure for 20 weeks from 12th May for developers contractors to rebuild and widen with street lighting, pavements and signing. DF advised that a roundabout was also to be installed in order to form access to the West Monkton relief road. GL explained that was why the trees had been cut down. A discussion took place about the implications of this extended closure and the likely impact upon the village and the parishoners. In particular the access for pedestrians and cyclists is not stated.

Action. The Clerk to seek clarification from SCC and then to respond to the notice.

 

(5) North End Fencing. Action. The Clerk reported that the car owner whose vehicle had damaged the fence had rung him to reassure him she has instructed a contractor to repair the fence at her cost.

 

(6) Defects. CS advised of a pothole in the lane close to the Maypole which she would report.

 

(7) Speed Indicator Device (S.I.D). The Clerk reported that SCC Highways had a S.I.D at Creech Heathfield during March as part of their programme of monitoring vehicle speeds. The results showed that at this 40 mph speed limit that 795 drivers were travelling in excess of 50 mph. This represents 10% of the 9466 vehicles using the road.

 

14/77. Footpaths and Rights of Way.

(1) River bank. DK advised that now the water levels had abated considerable debris had been washed up along the bank between Ham and Creech.

Action. The Clerk to report this to the Environment Agency.

 

(2) Dog fouling. DG highlighted the problem in the footpath/field by the Canal Car park and the need for a sign.

Action. The Clerk to ask the Dog Warden if she will put up a sign and if not to ask the Parish Caretaker to do so.

 

(3) Defects. None reported.

 

14/78. Ham Sewerage Treatment Works alternative access. The Clerk reported that he had written to the Chairmen of Wessex Water and Tarmac expressing the PC’s desire to see this overdue access in place as promised. Colin Skellett, Chairman of Wessex Water had replied on the 27th March “We remain committed to building the new road but we have still had no response from Tarmac, despite making a generous offer. The draft compulsory purchase order went to Defra in January, they had no significant comments so the final submission is now ready to be publicised in a local newspaper at the next available opportunity.  We will also send a copy to all relevant parties, including local Parish Councils. A meeting was held with Somerset planning and highways on 25 February to discuss the two junctions with Ham Road and the first planning application will be submitted by the end of this week” . Alan Everard,
Regional Head of Estates - South for Lafarge Tarmac had replied on the 1st April “I refer to your letter you sent to our CEO Cyrille Rajoucy on 21st March which has been forwarded to me for my attention.  Apologies for the delay in responding but the position with Tarmac Building Products (TBP) and Lafarge Tarmac has been somewhat complicated over the last few days.  At the date of your letter TBP and Lafarge Tarmac were entirely separate companies and the Thornfalcon Works fell within TBP's portfolio, however this morning it has been announced that with immediate effect TBP have now been acquired by Lafarge Tarmac and whilst this had been in the wings it was only today that OFT clearance allowed the transaction to complete. Accordingly, I shall pass your letter on to Eric Turner who is TBP's Estates Manager and who has been dealing with this specific issue and Wessex Water for many years so that he can provide an update”.

Action. The Clerk to write to Tarmac if the promised reply had not been received in the next week.

 

14/79. Carey Grove Park. The Clerk advised that the Chairman of the CSM Village Hall had advised that the VH Cttee no longer wished to acquire responsibility for this park. The Clerk also reported that Chris Hall of TDBC had confirmed that TDBC are very much in favour of the Parish Council taking on this area and have assigned the work to Property Services to complete. He had confirmed with Debbie Arscott of TDBC that the maintenance and management responsibilities would not impact on the S106 money but there will be the normal processes to work through.

 

14/80. Annual Parish Meeting. 9th May Village Hall 7pm for 7.30pm. Mrs Sue Mountstevens the Somerset and Avon

Police and Crime Commissioner is to speak. PCllrs confirmed their choice of additional speakers. A discussion took place

on the arrangements for advertising the APM.

Action. The Clerk to write to Linden Homes, TDBC Housing, EA, WW, St Michaels and the Baptist Churches and the

Creech Allotments Society and KH to host a meeting on 14th April at 7pm to be attended by SH, GH and the

Clerk to finalise arrangements.

 

 

 

 

14/81. Merlyn’s Copse. The Clerk reported that having taken advice Chesterton Humbert’s had advised a revised sale value to reflect the likely need to provide continued public access in the future. The Clerk asked the PC if it wished to continue with the sale. After some discussion it was agreed to proceed.

 

14/82. Flood Prevention Fund. The Clerk advised he had received details of the SCC Flood prevention fund and asked if anyone was aware of the need for prevention work to be undertaken as Parishoners could apply for funds. It was noted that the Parish had been very successful last year securing funding for three projects.

Action. CS to publish on the website and facebook site.

 

14/83. Correspondence. None raised.

 

14/84. New Matters to be carried forward.

The Clerk advised that the Parish Council Insurance renewal was due on 18th July and that quotations would need to be obtained in advance.

 

The Chairman closed the meeting to the Public and Press in order to discuss staff matters, purchase of a Copse (commercially sensitive) and to discuss preparations for the Annual Parish Council Meeting, 12th May 2014 7pm.

 

 

Future Meetings; The Annual Parish Meeting will take place on Friday 9th May in the CSM Village Hall (7pm for 7.30pm start). The Annual Parish Council meeting will take place on Monday, 12th May at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room (beginning at 7pm) and the Parish Council meeting on Monday 2nd June 2014 at the CSM Village Hall Lower Cttee Room (beginning at 7pm).

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net