/ Parish Council / 2015 Minutes / 11th May 2015



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 11th May 2015
in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall. Present: K. Hunt (Chair to item 15/90), S Hutchings (Vice Chair to item 15/90), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair from item 15/95), Y Guest, L Gates (from item 15/93), Simon W Harris (from item 15/93), D Knight (for item 15/93 only), G Lucas, K Reed, C Sampson and I Wright (Chair from item 15/91) (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). TDBCllr K Durdan and 16 members of the public attended.
15/89. Chairpersons Welcome. Cllr Hunt began by welcoming everyone.
15/90. Election of Chairperson. KH advised that he would not be standing for re-election. KH asked for nominations and IW was nominated. Ian Wright was then elected as Chair person. IW then signed the acceptance of office and took the Chair. He thanked KH and the Parish Councillors.
15/91. Public Speaking. 1 individual addressed the Parish Council; Mr Andy Lehner from West of England Developments introduced himself and explained he was the Developer for the Site behind the Doctors Surgery in Hyde Lane. AL advised that he would attend the additional CSM PC meeting being held on 18th May at 7pm to answer any questions on his planning application.
15/92. Apologies. SCClr D Fothergill and TDBCllr D Durdan sent their apologies.
15/93. Election of Members Co-opted onto the Parish Council. The Clerk explained that there are three vacancies on the new Council. The PC now had a period to make cooption’s. Three Parishoners showed interest in the roles. All three were present and each were invited to and gave an explanation of how they could help the Parish and responded to questions. A vote then took place, managed by the Clerk with the Chairperson took the voting. The outcome was that Lynn Gates, David Knight and Simon W Harris were co-opted as PCllrs. LG, DK and SWH duly signed their declaration of acceptance of office and the public register of members’ interests and took up office as PCllrs. (though PCllr D Knight then immediately left the meeting feeling unwell).
15/94. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. LG declared that her son was a member of TME. No other declarations of interest were made.
15/95. Election of Vice-Chairperson. Steve Greenhalgh was elected as Vice Chairperson.
15/96. Appointment of representatives and working party members. IW questioned why the panels were not fully working at present and with new PCllrs there needed to be a period of reflection on need and how best to operate.
Action. It was agreed to determine the membership of the panels at a future meeting and that the existing arrangements would prevail until any changes are agreed.
15/97. County & District Councillors’ Reports.
KD suggested that a Dogbin and a Litter bin are required in Leighton Drive. KD offered to help the PC on any issue at anytime. Action. It was agreed to make a decision on the two bins at the next meeting.
15/98. Minutes of the 13th April. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). One change was requested; that the speed limit at item 15/67 Public Speaking (2) be 20mph and not 10 mph. This was agreed; the amendment was made and the minutes were then signed and dated by the Chairperson as an accurate record of the meeting.
15/99. Matters arising from the Minutes of the meeting held on 13th April 2015.
14/229 (5.3). Hill Cottage, Cox’s Hill, St Michaels Rd. The Clerk explained he had not heard from the owner so he had asked the caretaker to re-examine the path. If the problem still persists he advised that he will write one final time to the owners asking them to take action to clear the footpath before refering the matter to SCC Highways.
15/77(2) Walford Cross. The Clerk advised he had written to Env Health about the possibility of a firm undertaking wood chippings as requested and had been advised that this was initially a planning matter. He had also written to TDBC Planning and advised them that the PC was against chipping taking place and asked them to confirm that would not be supported. The Planners reply was non committal however and advised that if an application was received a decision would be made by TDBC, following the PC being able to submit its observations.
15/82. Merlyn’s Copse. The Clerk advised he had instructed GTH to market the Copse for sale by fixed bid tender with the results to be reported by GFH to a future PC meeting. GTH are currently putting together the sale particulars. The Clerk advised as the vegetation was growing this needed to be cut and removed before the pictures are taken and to ensure the Copse is suitable for sale. He had obtained a quotation for the work and another contractor had failed to quote. Action. SG to obtain another quote, for the PC to agree which contractor to undertake the work at the additional meeting to be held on 18th May and for the Clerk to hold GTH until work completed.
15/84. Correspondence. SW had asked when he will receive a reply from the Rec Park Panel to his letter.
Action. The Clerk to re-circulate to the Rec Park Panel the letter from SW and for the Panel to then reply to SW.
15/86. Pension Scheme. The Clerk reminded the PC that UK legislation requires the PC, along with all employers, to ‘auto enrol’ all their qualifying employees in a pension scheme before the 1.6.16. The Clerk reported that he had yet to make further enquiries of Peninsula Pensions who operate the LGPS scheme and he will report to a future meeting.
15/100. Party in the Park 11th July 2015. CS paid tribute to Jo Morrison, Adrian Birch, Linsey Gould and PCllr David Knight for their work on organising the day – everything is going well and is planned; 40% of the tickets are already sold with 1000 being expected to be sold. The PC reviewed a budget CS circulated; this suggested income would be in excess of expenditure. CS highlighted the need for further support/volunteers required for the day. KH asked what contingency existed. CS advised last years surplus was there to fall back on and that all tickets sales are in advance of the day.
15/101. Recreation Park
(1) Safety Inspection. KR advised that Lightmain had inspected the equipment and though there are actions (a concern over the cableway stopper and a worn bush) to be taken the Park was safe to use. The Clerk had ordered the required replacement parts which the Caretaker will fit. KR highlighted some end caps were missing but there was little leverage over the supplier Sutcliffe’s to resolve. Action. It was agreed to await the Independent Safety Inspection and to include the report with a letter to Sutcliffes. SH to identify replacement further parts in the meantime and to inform the Clerk.
(2) Annual Independent Safety Inspection. The Clerk advised that he had accepted DK recommendation having got quotes that the Play Inspection Co be appointed (£125 plus VAT). Instructions had been issued to PI and we are awaiting their visit.
(3) Development. IW expressed his disappointment with the plans received from the Architect as he wished to see more community and sports inside. He suggested angling the building to maximise the sun on the solar voltaic cells so it could heat and provide hot water for the showers and sinks. CS advised the plans were not what were asked for and gave examples of its deficiencies; two sets of changing rooms had not been asked for, that the building should provide a large games room, the site plan should accommodate the long list of requested activities and that it would be a two storey building. Also two sets of plans had been asked for with one with and one without TME. The Clerk agreed and explained that he had provided the agreed specification to the Architect and had offered a briefing meeting but this had not been taken up. He explained that the requirement did not however specify whether the building should be single or double storey as the design of the building had been left to the Architect to determine. The Architects had commissioned a land survey and then drawn up the plans presumably in order to facilitate discussion and comments at the APM prior to his amending the plans. KH questioned whether the PC was clear on what was required. IW confirmed that it is clear as it had fully specified its requirements to the Architect but the Architect had not included much of it.
Action. It was agreed the Clerk would re-circulate the Architects brief to all PCllrs, arrange a meeting on site with the Architect and that payment would be with held until after the meeting had taken place.
(4) TME Lease. IW explained that whilst he personally did not have a problem with TME being on site as he felt there is enough room to accommodate TME. He suggested some of the paragraphs in the proposed lease are not in the best interest of the Village as they will impair the PC plans at this time. The Clerk advised that the Architect had made the same point and had requested the PC did not sign any agreement until he could explain. KH asked that he be allowed to propose that the PC authorises the signing of the lease agreed with TME. IW explained that we were still agreeing the lease terms and would come to its signing in due course. CS advised that we had decided to hold a consultation and that had not yet taken place. KH highlighted that the APM audience had over whelming supported the retention of TME. IW advised that we needed to give everyone the chance to have their say and that they should fully understand the alternative demands to use the land. LG advised of the amount of support for TME and that their petition now had 200 signatures. The legal position for TME remaining in residence but having no Lease and paying rent and the legal history of TME Lease was discussed. LG suggested TME be invited to attend meetings with the architects (this was not agreed to). CS highlighted the finances available for outdoor recreation and additional play equipment which would all require space to accommodate.
Action. The Clerk was asked to circulate the Solicitors advice on TME use of the Rec Park. It agreed to meet with the Architect and we have two plans (one with and one without TME) and then the plans are taken to public consultation.
(5) Planting. KR asked what was happening about planting the 100 whips donated by the Garden Centre. SG explained that until we were sure about the plans for the Rec Park and the replacement building we could not determine where to plant them; so they had been planted temporarily to protect them at SH farm. Action. The Clerk to put on the agenda for the June meeting.
15/102. Accounts.
(1) Payments approved; Payment of the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC (Tax Due on wages) £249.64, Clerks April Expenses £146.20, Bibby Financial Services (3d Security at Rec Park 30-3- 15 to 3-5-15) £270.00, TDBC DLO (Dog bin emptying) £638.98, Nigel’s Window Cleaning (Bus Shelters Cleaning 15 4 15)£45.00, SALC (Affiliation Fees 15-16)£610.96.
(2) Payment to be held; Trevor Spurway (Arch) Ltd (50% of Stage ABC Architects Fees for Rec Park) £2453.92.
(3) Invoices paid between meetings and reported on; Paul Williams (PIP Wristbands) £49.99. Authority was given to pay the Electricity bill when it arrived from British Gas.
(4) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; TDBC Precept and grant £31,026.03, Ruishton FC (March 15 pitch fees) £20.00, Tone Youth FC (Mar 15 pitch fees) £100.00, Tone Youth FC (April/May 15 pitch fees) £100.00.
(5) Website Advertising. KH asked what has happening about collecting the website income. CS explained she had yet to invoice but would now pass the information to enable the Clerk to. Action. The Clerk to invoice for website advertising.
6) Dog Bins. The Clerk reported he had obtained a quote for a dog bin in the sum of £84, however a post was required at a cost of £60, installation would add £75 (plus mats) and the annual emptying would costs £250 per year (ongoing).
A decision was taken to defer a decision for six months.
15/103. Highways.
(1) North End Virtual Footway project. The Clerk reported he had written to SCC Highways highlighting the difficulties with the footway and that he is now awaiting a reply. The work is not finished and that the path is causing confusion as warning signs are not in sight or repeated; with the result that drivers are not aware of pedestrians in the road and the 20mph speed limit being poorly observed.
(2) Hyde Lane. The Clerk advised he had written to SCC Highways asking for the planned 30 mph limit to be extended from Leighton Drive to the Hyde Lane Cottages rather than the motorway bridge as proposed and was now awaiting a reply. A discussion took place about the further development in Hyde Lane. Action. Planning panel to ensure PC response at the next meeting includes recommending steps to ensure Hyde Lane is safe.
(3) Access to CSM from the WM relief road. No update.
(4) A38 Adsborough. The Clerk reported he had written to SCC Highways asking for a site meeting and making it clear that the PC wished to see bus lay bys near the Maypole rather than buses having to stop in the carriageway as suggested by Transporting Somerset and was now awaiting a reply.
(5) Signage. GH raised the proliferation of Linden Homes sales signage. The Clerk reported he had written to SCC Highways asking SCC Highways to take action and was now awaiting a reply.
(6) Speed Indicator Device (SID) Report for Creech Heathfield (nr. the Old Police House) for period 25 March 2015 to the 7 April 2015. The median speed reported was 40mph for March and April which is compliant with the posted speed limit of 40mph. The 85%ile speed was calculated as 46mph for both months which is 1mph below the intervention limit of 47mph for this location.
(7) 20mph zone. The PC considered the suggestion made by Charlie Cudlip at the APM to make the entire village a 20mph zone and agreed to request that SCC designate the entire village as a 20mph zone (from the Slaughter House through to the 40 mph Creech Heathfield limit). Action. The Clerk to inform SCC Highways that it supported a reduction from 30mph to 20mph across the Village.
(8) Defects. GL reported that the manhole cover opp the bus stop in Hyde Lane had still to be replaced.
Action. The Clerk to ask DF is he will raise this damaged sewerage cover with SCC Highways.
15/104. Footpaths and Rights of Way.
Hyde lane footpath progress. GL advised that the footpath T10/43 had a closure order for 6 months granted on 20/7/14 which was clearly passed. Action. The Clerk to write to SCC Rights of Way asking for footpaths T10/43 and T10/32/7 to be reopened forthwith.
15/105. Transport - Bus Service
GL advised he had been to see another bus company that day and asked them if they would operate a route from CSM to Taunton incl Town, Musgrove etc. The company had agreed to consider the request. LG asked if a community bus scheme could be set up. GL advised that the Clerk had obtained and circulated information but we can’t so he had looked for another bus operator.
15/106. Correspondence.
KR referred to Nigel Finch suggestion at the APM that the speed limit from the new roundabout from A38 Langaller be reduced from 60mph to 40mph. Action. The Clerk to inform SCC Highways that it supported a reduction from 60mph to 40mph on the approach road from the new roundabout which (see item 15/107 (7) above) would then be further reduce to 20 mph on entering the village.
15/107. New Matters to be carried forward.
(1) GL raised the Ash trees within the school grounds had ash die back and this needed to be dealt with as a H&S issue. Action. Clerk to inform School.
(2) GL highlighted that a sign on the A38 was obliterated by foliage and that there is a width restriction sign facing the wrong way. SG advised he had already informed SCC Highways.
(3) Action. The Clerk to issue a copy of the S/Orders to the new PCllrs.
15/108. Staff Matters. The PC decided to exclude the Public and Press for this item.
The meeting closed at 9pm.
Future Meetings; The next full Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday May 18th 2015 in the Upper Cttee Room at the CSM Village Hall Lower (beginning at 7pm) and the following on June 8th 2015.
Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net