/ Parish Council / 2015 Minutes / 5th October 2015



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 5th October 2015

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present I Wright (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), S W Harris, G Lucas and K Reed (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill and TDBCllr D Durdan and 7 members of the public attended.   

 

15/204. Chairs Welcome. Cllr Wright began by welcoming everyone.

 

15/205. Public Speaking.  One young person, Elise asked to address the Parish Council. Supported by Debbie Jackson her Specialist Childrens Occupational Therapist and Sam Reid her Therapy Support Worker they explained the difficulties Elise has accessing the play equipment in the Rec Park and asked if an inclusive nest swing and an inclusive wheelchair friendly roundabout could be purchased and installed. Letters, Quotations from a supplier and a site map were provided.

IW thanked the three for their attendance and explained that the PC had a panel currently considering additional play equipment and that their request and papers would be fully considered by the panel. Action. Clerk to copy the pack of papers to each PCllr.  

 

15/206. Apologies. PCllrs L Gates, Y Guest, K Hunt, S Hutchings, D Knight sent their apologies. Reasons were accepted.

 

15/207. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. No declarations of interest were made.

 

15/208. Neighbourhood Plan for the Urban Extension area of CSM Parish.

(1) Simon Coles, Director - Planning & Environment , WYG Consultants. SC explained he was a Qualified Planner working for an international company as the Head of their Wellington Office. WYG has strong ethics. SC advised of the pitfalls of the NH Plan process and highlighted the work required over an extended 18 month period, the need to make alliances with the many agencies involved and that the plan has to be underpinned by evidence (as otherwise when subject to Independent Assessment it will unravel). SC advised that the PC needs to determine whether it is seeking to allocate sites or determine a number of policies to be complied with. SC highlighted four main messages, that the PC would need to communicate effectively with the Community, to harness and utilise the skills available, that there are lots of free resources to support its production and that the PC need to understand its budget and needs of the Community.

 

(2) Jane Birch, Community Involvement Officer, Community Council for Somerset. JB explained that the CCS is a Charity established in 1926 that aims to support Communities doing things for themselves and that they are good at community engagement and consultation; which are fundamentally important parts of a NH Plan. JB advised she lives in CSM and is working on a number of Plans. Though CCS do charge for their work JB informed the PC they are good at covering their costs by applying to get money to cover the cost of their work. JB also highlighted the useful free portal accessible from their website http://somersetrcc.org.uk/ 

 

(3) Ann Rhodes, Policy Officer (Planning and Environment), Taunton Deane Borough Council. AR advised that West Monkton and Cheddon Fitzpaine Parish Councils are currently consulting as part of the process to develop their NH Plan. AR suggested CSM PC may wish to join with them as there were advantages to publishing joint policies highlighting that the alternative of separate policies may dilute the weight given to them. Working on a single plan would not reduce the Community Infrastructure Levy receipts that will accrue to CSM PC. AR offered her services if the PC had any questions. She highlighted the need to be clear on what the PC wished to achieve and the drivers for undertaking a NH Plan. SG asked what the disadvantages of working on a single plan are. AR explained that all three would have to agree and that there would need to be consensus; though specific policies could be agreed for a specific area as part of a plan. There would need to be a lead PC for administrative purposes and Kelvin Tuthill from WM PC had been appointed Chair. SWH asked when the Planners where going to start listening to CSM PC. SWH suggested the PC was being ignored and not listened to and the urban extension was not wanted. AR said that NH Plans once adopted are statutory plans that have to be followed. If a Policy makes a development unviable then it will not happen. The urban extension is in the TDBC Core Strategy so the development will proceed but as the master plan has yet to be developed there is scope to influence this. Jane Birch suggested an alternative was for each Parish to do their own NH Plan but to work together on common policies as they are on the Blackdowns.

 

(4) Neighbourhood Plan for West Monkton and Cheddon Fitzpaine. No decisions were taken or response agreed to the consultation opportunity.

 

(5) Neighbourhood Plan for the Urban Extension area of CSM Parish. No decisions were taken on developing a NH Plan.

 

15/209. County & District Councillors’ Reports. 

DD;

(1) Carey Road Park. DD advised he had met with Debbie Arscott of TDBC and suggested that the sign in the park be turned to face the gate. Action. The Clerk to contact DA to explain the PC intentions re Carey Road Park.

 

DF;

(1)  Highways Improvement Schemes. DF reminded the PC that he had one remaining opportunity to submit a scheme for improvement and sought reconfirmation of that. Despite the PC having many areas it felt needed improvement it was agreed again that the crossing for school children across Hyde Lane is the PC priority.

Action. DF to submit the Hyde Lane Crossing as an improvement scheme to SCC Highways.

 

(2) SCC Health and Wellbeing grants. DF repeated his appeal for applications for any local organisations that needed a H&W project funding in the sum of £250/£500.

 

 

 

 

(3) M5 Screening. DF had raised with Highways England their putting more screening in place; HE had advised him they felt developers should pay for additional screening when building new housing.

 

(4) Hyde Lane. GL asked DF when the speed table by Rocketts Cottages would be installed. GL referred to SCC Highways notice of 15th Sept 2014 stating their intention to install. Action. DF offered to make enquiries of SCC Highways.

 

15/210.  Minutes of the 14th September 2015. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). These were agreed with one amendment made. This referred to the PC decision to add two further PCllrs to the pool of cheque signatories

which had been omitted. The minutes were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

15/211. Matters arising from the Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd August 2015.

The Clerk advised on the following items;

 

15/139. Crufts Meadow. The Clerk advised that Wessex Water had now examined the broken post but had advised it was the Environment Agencies responsibility. As a result he had now contacted the EA and requested that they repair.

 

15/101. Rec Park planting. The Clerk reminded the PC that until a decision had been made on rec park layout the whipps could not be planted.

 

15/147 (2) .The Clerk advised that No further reply had been received yet from SCC Highways despite his responding  again to SCC as instructed to explain that the “Creech St” wording of the signs on the West Monkton relief road were wrong and in of need correcting.

 

15/109. Caretakers Annual Review. Action. IW to arrange this meeting.

 

15/127. Septic tank at the Recreation Park emptying. As no response was forthcoming from SPS regarding a termly emptying at below (or at) the quoted rate it was agreed to proceed with the emptying of the tank. Action. The Clerk is to arrange for the tank to be emptied.

 

15/129 (1). Canal Bridge. The Clerk advised that SCC Highways had now examined the foliage growing on the canal bridge and had advised that cutting it was the responsibility of the River and Canal Trust. The Clerk advised he had contacted the R&C Trust and asked them to cut the vegetation. No response had been received yet.

 

15/146. Recreation Park. Independent Play Equipment Inspection. The Clerk reported that he could not get quotes for the works from Lightmain as the company had ceased trading so he had asked Sutcliffe’s the manufacturer direct. He had got quotes for the signs and these would be considered later (see minute 15.215(2) below).  

 

15/151. Carey Road Park. The Clerk had previously written to TDBC who had then replied apologising for not having progressed the transfer of the Park to CSM PC sooner but that they would proceed with some urgency; but no further action has still taken place. Action. The Clerk is to make further enquiries of TDBC.

 

15/152 (1).  Manciet, Hyde Lane. It was noted that Mr and Mr Cross’s wall had been repaired.

 

15/152 (2). Rec Park Fencing. The Clerk advised he had asked TME (and followed it up in writing) to put up orange barrier tape were any fencing was damaged or missing. He had advised TME that the PC is looking to make improvements in the park and until these were clear it did not wish to spend Parishioners money.

 

15/192.  Planning.  The Clerk reported he had queried with TDBC Planners the application 14/15/0025 in order to get an explanation as to why the application had appeared on the TDBC Website after the 3rd August PC meeting but was showing as having been listed prior. To compound the situation TDBC had made a decision on the application thereby not giving the PC a prior opportunity to comment upon it. The Clerk advised that the reply received from TDBC was clearly incorrect as it quoted different dates to their own website so he had written again; this suggested that applications being received are not being posted on that Councils website on the dates stated or that applications were received.

 

15/194 (7) Risk Assessment of Assets. The PC considered and agreed the approach to the annual Risk Assessment of the Councils Assets at its last meeting. The Clerk reminded the Council that it had agreed to ask each PCllr, the Caretaker and the Clerk to volunteer to examine some of the assets and he advised he would now be shortly starting the process. The Clerk had also asked the Int Auditor for his advices on the correct basis of the monetary value for each asset and awaited his advices.

Action. The Clerk to coordinate reports on the condition of each asset so a report can be presented at the PC meeting.

 

15/198. Footpaths and Rights of Way. The Clerk advised that he had yet to contact the developer to ask for the fingerpost to be turned by 90 degrees now footpath T10/23 is open on Hyde Lane.

Action. The Clerk to contact DWH re turning the finger post in Hyde Lane.

 

15/212. Parish Council Planning.

(1) As a planning application  (14/15/0027 Somersby Lodge, Langaller) had arrived that day for the PC Observations in respect of 4 new det houses in the rear garden of Somersby Lodge, Langaller this had not allowed time to examine the application. It was agreed that the Clerk request an extension to the deadline from TDBC to the 2nd Nov PC mtg to enable the PC to make its observations. Action. The Clerk to request an extension to the deadline on application 14/15/0027 Somersby Lodge, Langaller.)

 

 

 

(2) Parish Council Priorities. This item was again deferred to the next PC meeting due to a lack of PCllrs attending.

 

15/213.   Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities. This item was also deferred again to the next PC meeting due to a lack of PCllrs attending.

 

15/214. Accounts.

(1) Payments approved for payment; Clerks Salary, Caretakers Salary, HMRC (Tax on Salaries) £261.88, Clerks September Expenses £76.43, Bibby Financial Services (Factors for 3d Security at Rec Park 31-8-15 to 27-9-15) £216.00

And N Cridge (MC Grass cut 5.10.15) £50.00.

 

(2) Payments approved for payment before the next meeting; The bill from British Gas for Electricity at Pavilion 7-8- 15 to 7-9-15 was authorised for payment.

 

(3) Monies received and banked since the last meeting; TME (Use of Rec Field Oct 15 to Mar 16 incl) £550.00

and Creech Allotments Society (Rent for Allotments site (Year to 4 9 16)  £540.00.

 

(4) Accounts. The Clerk advised that he would present the first half year bank reconciliation report for the period 1/4/15 to 30/9/15 at the November meeting.

 

15/215. Recreation Park. 

(1) Report on attempted Break In. The Clerk advised that YG and the Police had been alerted by 3d Security that they had disturbed an attempted break in to the Pavilion on 16th September at 8.10pm. Their dog had found the gate at the far end of the park open which suggested that was their exit point. No items had been stolen (Clerks note; there is nothing of any value stored inside the pavilion) but wanton and mindless damage had been done to the “outside toilet”, the main pavilion door handle had been broken and the window shutter forced with the result the glass and its frame had been broken. The Caretaker had attended along with others in order to ensure the pavilion was secure.  The Clerk reported he had attended the next morning and asked Neil Robertson, Plumber to effect emergency repairs to the damaged siphon and DK had been invited to get quotes for the remaining work. The Caretaker had also cleaned up damage in the toilets. It was also noted TME had damage to their railway track.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk in consultation with the Chair be authorised to accept the lowest tender received for repairs and the Clerk is to write on the PC’s behalf to the Caretaker thanking him for his efforts.

 

(2) Independent Play Equipment Inspection: Signing. To agree the wording and purchase of signing recommended by the Independent  Inspector. IW suggested that 3d Security be asked if the PC could use their telephone number on the signs. Action. The Clerk to ask 3d Security.

 

(3) Independent Play Equipment Inspection: Matting.

 Action. The Clerk to make enquiries of Debbie Arscott of TDBC if she knew of companies that relay under play equipment matting.

 

(4) Development. The Clerk reported that the Architect had met with TDBC Planners that day to get their initial reaction to the design and siting of the proposed replacement pavilion and that he had reported that the proposals had been favourably received along with some helpful suggestions being made on developing the case for funding. The next steps are for the Architect to meet with Debbie Arscott, TDBC and then for consultation with Parishioners. It was noted that the consultation would best be done along with the development of the rec park site plan proposals for accommodating more play equipment; but that delay need to be avoided. Adrian Birch suggested a feasibility study to examine the cost and likely income of the building be established.

Action. SH is reviewing the Rec Site plan to see how best any additional equipment/facilities could be laid out.  As the PC had agreed to issue TME a new lease IW and the Clerk are to re-examine the draft lease to ensure its complete; this will need some further negotiation on yet with TME.

 

15/216. Merlyn’s Copse.

The Clerk advised he had communicated the decisions of the PC taken at the last meeting to the Solicitor and she had written to the purchaser. He had also completed a ten page questionnaire to enable the solicitor to advance the sale.

 

15/217.  Highways.  

See 15/209 (1-4) above.

 

(1) SG reported that DWH had stopped the traffic to their site that day and this had caused chaos as it was school time.

SG suggested that the site should be completed by May 2016.

 

(2) No update reports were given on the North End Virtual Footway, the impact of the Development sites (incl condition of road and verges) and provision of footway in Hyde Lane, the A38 Adsborough or the Access from WMonkton relief road projects.

 

15/218. Footpaths and Rights of Way

(1) St Michaels Road. GL advised of a missing post in the footpath outside of the Veterinary Surgery which needs replacing as there is a hole in the footpath. Action. DF agreed to report to SCC Highways.

 

 

 

 

 

(2) A response had not yet been received to the recent requests DF had made to SCC to cut the vegetation back as pedestrians can’t walk by the North End and Langaller pavements and the footpath from Creech Heathfield to Walford Cross footpath which also in need of cutting back or the suggestion by GL that at the Railway Bridge a footpath bridge be put in place alongside the existing bridge in order to allow pedestrians to walk safely.

 

(3) Rubbish Bin by Hyde Lane Bus Stop. GL reported that the bin had been torn from its anchor and moved and now needed relocating back to the floor. Action. The Clerk to inform TDBC.

 

(4) Verge Grass Cutting. GL reported that the DLO had been seen leaving cut grass droppings when they are loading and unloading. Action. The Clerk to ask TDBC DLO Manager if he can put a stop to this.

 

(5) Concrete spill. GL reported that a concrete spill had been quickly responded to and cleared up effectively.

 

15/219.Transport.

(1) Buses. GL advised that he was still pursuing the prospect of improved bus services to the village.

 

15/220. Asset of Community Value:

(1) The Bell Inn. The Clerk reported that he had not yet heard from TDBC Solicitors on the sale of a strip of the land within the Bell Inn site that had transferred contrary to its ACV status without the Solicitors involved or the owners enacting the requirements of the ACV.

Action. The Clerk to pursue with TDBC Solicitors.

 

(2) Garage Site in St Michaels Road. The PC considered the importance to the community of this site and the PC agreed to request ACV Status for this area.

Action. The Clerk to apply for ACV Status for the Garage (incl Hairdressers) site in St Michaels Road.

 

15/221.  Maintenance. The Clerk reported in his absence that DK was in the process of obtaining quotes to undertake maintenance to the Noticeboards at Ham, Arundells, St Michaels and Charlton Road (all need washing and restaining), the Bus Shelter at Adsborough (the seat needed repainting) and also to see how much the badly scratched Perspex would cost to replace in the Bus Shelters at Adsborough and CSM Sycamore.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk in consultation with the Chair be authorised to accept the lowest tender received for cleaning and restaining of the 4 notice boards and that the quotations for the Bus Shelter panels be presented to the next PC meeting for a decision.

 

15/222. Website. IW deferred this item until the next meeting.

 

15/223. West View Park. IW advised that as LG had suggested that this park be developed as an alternative to the intentions for Carey Road Park was absent he would hold this over to the next meeting.

 

15/224. Correspondence. None discussed.

 

15/225. 2016 PC Dates. The PC agreed these evening dates for its 2016 meetings;  Jan 4th, Feb 1st, March 7th, April 11th, May 9th (Annual Council Meeting), June 6th, July 4th,  August 1st (Planning), Sept 5th, Oct 3rd, Nov 7th  and Dec 5th all to be held in the lower Cttee room.  The Annual Parish Meeting (Main Village Hall) on April 22nd Friday.

 

15/226.  New Matters to be carried forward.

The PC to consider at its November meeting the determination of the PC’s priorities, PCllrs individual responsibilities, the Website and  developing West View Park as an alternative to Carey Road Park.

 

The meeting closed at 8.55pm.

 

Future Meetings; The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 3rd November in the Lower Cttee Room at the CSM Village Hall (beginning at 7pm). The following meeting will be on Monday 7th December again at 7pm.   

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net