/ Parish Council / 2016 Minutes / 1st February 2016



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 1st February 2016

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present I Wright (Chair), L Gates, Y Guest,  S W Harris, K Hunt, G Lucas and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). TDBCllr D Durdan and SCClr D Fothergill. One member of the public attended.   

 

16/29. Chairs Welcome. Cllr Wright began by reading a statement addressing issues raised during the month against standing orders and so called red tape by Councillors.  IW explained that Standing Orders are the Council's terms of reference to which we have all signed up to and as the rules of the Council they reference the way that the Council conducts its business. IW reminded the PC that Standing Orders are there for the protection of the Councillors and the Council as a whole, and that individuals cannot pick and choose terms of reference as what they should or should not apply. The Standing Orders have been accepted by its Councillors and this Council and apply equally to all Councillors and offer a framework on how we carry out our duties. By following SO Cllrs reduce the risk of non-compliance, offers and protection to individual councillors and the Council from Legal challenges and litigation.

 

As all committees and working parties ceased when the new Council took over, Councillors according to standing orders must vote in these annually (once a year) and as this has not happened there are no existing committees or working parties. IW advised that later in the meeting there will be an opportunity to correct and apply Council Standing Orders to items on the agenda.

 

16/30. Public Speaking.  No resident wished to address the PC.

 

16/31. Apologies. PCllr S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), S Hutchings, D Knight and K Reed sent apologies and reasons were accepted.

 

16/32. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. SWH declared a disclosable pecuniary interest and left the room for Planning item 16.38 (2) Application 14/16/0003 and he took no part in consideration of this item.

 

16/33. To receive County and District Councillors’ Reports.

DF reported that;

(1) 27 Councils and public authorities in Devon and Somerset have banded together to request greater devolution of services and funding from the Govt. Cornwall Council had been asked but had decided not to join to protect their European Union’s Growth Programme which it qualifies for.

(2) A303/A358. Highways England have drawn up a number of options for the route improvements. Consultation events are being held on 26th February between 1-8pm in the Creative Innovation Centre (Paul St) and Tesco’s.

(3) SCC Budget. SCC has a £27m budget gap after a further reduction of £20m in Govt funding. Consultation has taken place to see if savings can be made on bus subsidies and other services. The Bus service to CSM is to be retained as at present and plans to remove discretionary fares scrapped. After 6 years of no increase the Council Tax will increase by 2% for adult care, 1.99% for other services and a further 1.25% for flooding (this will fund dredging and other flood prevention work that should enable water to clear faster/stop water backing up at Ham and the Ruishton end of the Parish.)

 

DD advised that;

(1) TDBC Budget. That £16m has been earmarked for investment in Taunton Deane using money from the New Homes Bonus to pump prime projects including transport schemes and town centre regeneration. Funding has been secured for road improvements at M5 J25 and the A358 and for improvements at Taunton Railway Station.

 

TDBC is preparing to set a balanced budget with a £5 increase Council Tax and a 1.25% levy for Somerset Rivers Authority. Capital investments are to be made in the Orchard Centre car park and for disabled adaptations and equipment. Council Housing rents are to reduced by 1%. TDBC has seen its Govt subsidy cut by 16%. The proposals are in draft form will be considered by its Executive on 4th Feb and full Council on 23rd Feb.

 

(2) Nat Voter Registration Drive. TDBC are seeking to encourage everyone to be registered to vote. On 5th May 2016 there will be election for Police and Crime Commissioner and anyone wishing to participate will need to have registered. To register to vote go online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

 

16/34. Minutes of the 4th January Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). These were agreed without any amendments being made. The minutes were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

16/35. Matters arising from the Minutes of the 4th January Mtg.

The Clerk reported;

 

15/13 Crufts Meadow. The Clerk advised that he had written again to the River and Canal Trust asking them to repair the gatepost as through he had received an acknowledgement to his early letter no detailed response had yet been sent.

 

15/101 Rec Park planting. The Clerk reminded the PC that until a decision had been made on the rec park layout the whipps could not be replanted.

 

15/151. Carey Grove Park. That no further offer had been received following the Chair and the Clerks meeting with Mark Vaughan from TDBC on 4th December. MV had offered a 20 year lease to the PC as long as the existing play equipment was maintained over that period in return for a one off £350 maintenance sum. This had been declined.

 

 

 

15/239 (3) Hill House, St Michaels Road. The Clerk advised that he had written to the owners requesting that the overhanging tree in need of attention by the owner be cut back. No reply had been received to date and PCllrs reported the problem remains.

Action. The Clerk was asked to write again to the householder and if no reply is received to refer the matter to SCC Highways.

 

16/36. Minutes of the 18th January Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). These were agreed without any amendments being made. The minutes were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

16/37. Matters arising from the Minutes of the 18th January Mtg.

The Clerk reported;

 

16/21 Footpaths.  The Clerk advised he had yet to place an appeal for a volunteer footpath warden.

 

16/23(1) ACV The Bell Inn Site. The Clerk advised he had yet to write to the Owners asking if they would sell the strip of land to the PC.

 

16/23(2) ACV Garage site, St Michaels Road. The Clerk advised that the response to the application for ACV Status from TDBC had yet to be received. A supplementary request to learn the PC intention for the site should the ACV ever be enacted had been answered.

 

16/24. Website. The Clerk informed the PC that he had yet to use Facebook to highlight the website in order to encourage users.

 

16/38. Parish Council Planning.

(1) Neighbourhood Plan for CSM Parish. IW advised that he was in the process of updating the draft NH plan. The Clerk advised that he had informed Consultants WYG and CCS of their appointment and they are now awaiting a copy of the draft plan so they can commence their work.

Action. IW to conclude draft plan and issue.

(2) Applications received: The PC considered the applications received and decided to comment as follows;

 Date

Ref

Application

Observations

14/16/0006/LB

18/01/2016

The Manor House, Langaller Lane, Creech St Michael. Formation of patio area by infilling of outdoor swimming pool with erection of a gazebo.

No observation

18/01/2016

14/16/0003/LB

Heathfield Farmhouse, Creech Heathfield. Replacement of felt and battens to roof, replacement and repair of windows and dormers, replacement of front door and porch with insertion of additional window at ground floor level.

No observation

25/1/2015

14/16/0007

Rowans, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield. Erection of a two storey extension to the side and a single storey extension and porch to the front.

No observation

25/1/2016

14/16/0002

Brookside, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield. Erection of a single storey extension, with porch to the front.

No observation

21/01/2016

48/16/0003/LB

Hartnells Farm, Monkton Heathfield. Replacement of wall and hedge with alterations to boundary.

No observation. Not in Parish.

21/01/2016

48/16/0004

Hartnells Farm, Monkton Heathfield. Replacement of wall and hedge with alterations to boundary.

No observation. Not in Parish.

(3) Appeal received: The PC considered the planning appeal received and decided to comment as follows;

Date

Ref

Application

 

18/1/2016

E/0035/14/

15

Langdon Industries Site, Walford Cross, Taunton. Alleged unauthorised B2 wood Chipping) Business Use of Former B1/B8 Industrial Unit.

To support the original decision by TDBC to refuse permission and to reject the applicants appeal.

(4) Link from Hyde Lane to the new Monkton Heathfield relief road. The Clerk reminded the PC that when asked why no link to the new relief road had been provided the PC had been informed by TDBC that they had understood the PC to have not wanted a link. The Clerk advised he had now retrieved from Planning Officers files correspondence dated 5/4/06, 5/12/07 and 2/4/08 all of which clearly stated a link WAS desired. The PC reconfirmed that the link was desired.

Action. The Clerk to write to TDBC sharing the correspondence and to press for a link to be put in place. DD was asked to support within TDBC too.

 

16/39. Accounts

(1) Payments authorised. Clerks and Caretakers Salaries, HMRC (Tax due on Salaries)£261.49, Clerks January Expenses £119.28, Jim Pike (Electrical Insp of Pavilion) £175.00, Wessex Water (4 9 15-20 1 16) £11.74,  Clerk Imprest £100.00, Caretakers Reimb of Imprest £95.60, TDBC (DLO bal Rec Park Grass Cutting 2014) £167.88, Comm Council for Somerset (Ann Memb Fee 2016) £40.00, Exmoor Luxury Loos (PIP Toilet Hire Deposit) £156.00, Groove-a-licious (PIP band Deposit) £200.00.  Bill paid since last meeting British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 7-11- 15 to 7-12-15) £48.19.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Western Power (Pole Wayleave) £7.61, Tone Youth  (use of Rec Field Dec 15) £60.00 , Creech Cougars  (Use of Rec Field Nov/Dec 15) £80.00.

(3) Authorisation to make payment before the next meeting. I have not received a bill yet from British Gas for Electricity at Pavilion and Bibby Factors Ltd Security at Rec Park and approval to pay these on receipt of invoices (subject to 2 PCllrs signatures) was agreed.

 

 

 

 

(4) Accounts. The Clerk had circulated a bank reconciliation report for the period 1/4/15 to 31/12/15 prior to the meeting. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2015 to 31st December 2015 are £50,417.55 and the expenditure for the same period is £30,191.67. The Clerk advised that the anticipated uncommitted year end balance is currently estimated to be £20,000. The report was accepted and signed by the Chair as an accurate record.

 

16/40. Recreation Park

(1) Update report. YG advised that the pitch had suffered badly with being played on in the recent rain and she suggested a period of abstinence to permit its recovery was required. The PC agreed and authorised YG to determine the period beyond a week. CS reported damage to the fencing at the front and it was agreed to get quotations for like repairs for a 40 yds section to the left of the gates. It was also noted there were potholes in the carpark and the Clerk was asked to get quotes for 10 ton of scalpings to be laid.

Action. YG To inform the footballers not to play on the pitch until it has recovered and the Clerk to get 3 fencing quotes and a quote for scalpings to be laid.

(2) Maintenance update. The Clerk requested that the siting for the new safety signage be determined and CS advised she had asked suppliers of IPE (see item 11.4 below) to quote for repairs to the surfacing to be funded from S106 monies.

Action. CS to inform the Clerk of sign siting and acquire quotations for surfacing repairs.

(3) Bdg Electrical Inspection. The periodic electrical Inspection of the Pavilion had been undertaken and a number of items had been identified that need attention. Quotations had been received for the work and it was agreed to proceed with their rectification. The Caretaker had also padlocked the cupboard and he and CS now hold a key.

Action. The Clerk to instruct Jim Webb to undertake necessary electrical repairs.

(4) Inclusive Play Equipment. CS advised she was in the process of consulting on the equipment and would soon be in a position to request the S106 funding required.

(5) Football Goalposts. The Clerk advised he had now received two quotes and it was agreed to proceed subject to S106 monies being agreed alongside the IPE (See item 11.4 above). The Clerk was authorised to purchase having consulted the footballers on which goals post were required.

Action. The Clerk to arrange purchase of new goalposts.

(6) Development The Clerk reported that he had received a further revised quotation from the Architect and it was agreed to accept this subject to payment only being made when planning consent had been received.

Action. The Clerk to instruct the Architect to obtain planning permission subject to his revised quotation and acceptance that payment would only be made when planning consent had been received.

(7) Adj field/copse. LG repeated that she had spoken to the owner of the adj field who had made clear she did not wish to sell the field and won’t be persuaded otherwise. The Clerk reconfirmed that ACV status had been granted on the field and that he had a solicitors letter regarding the Copse stating that they were awaiting the estates instruction.

 

16/41. Party in  the Park 9th July 2016

(1) Constitution. The three options had been considered and those involved wished to operate as a working party of the PC. The establishment of PIP working party along its terms of reference (previously circulated) were then agreed by the Council. PIP16 WP members would be Parish Councillors SG,CS,DK,YG and Parishioners Jo Morrison, Adrian Birch and Abbey Peebles.

(2) Budget. The budget for the PIP16 (previously circulated) was considered and agreed with Orders and Invoices authorised in line with the budget being raised or paid on request to the Clerk, subject to documentation. PC to provide Insurance for the event, the rec park and to recover VAT with the PIP WP producing the required risk assessment and event organisation.

(3) PIP surpluses. It had been previously agreed that the 2014 and 2015 are set aside for donations; these are to be identified by the Working Party for recommendation for approval at a future meeting of the PC subject to maintaining a £2000 working reserve for future events.

Action. The Clerk to ensure volunteers are covered by the PC Insurance.

 

16/42. Annual Parish Meeting Friday 22nd April 2016.

PCllrs considered and agreed speakers to be invited to the event.

Action. The Clerk to invite speakers identified.

 

16/43.  Correspondence..

(1) Larkfleet Estate (behind medical centre). Temporary fencing had been erected which suggested the footpath to the canal from the gate that the PC had requested be removed had been retained in the plans. Similarly site access had been through Queens down which was contrary to the PC expressed wishes.

Action. The Clerk was asked to establish what had been decided by TDBC Planners and to get a copy of the plans.

(2). Public Footpaths. It was noted that if a footpath was not on the definitive map then it will be deleted.

 

16/44. New Matters to be carried forward

KH asked that the use of the microphone system be placed on the agenda.

 

The meeting closed at 9.45pm.

 

Future Meetings; The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 7th March 2016 in the Lower Cttee Room at the CSM Village Hall (beginning at 7pm). The following meeting will be on Monday 11th April also at 7pm.           

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net