/ Parish Council / 2016 Minutes / 7th November 2016



 CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 7th November 2016

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), L Gates, Y Guest, S W Harris, K Hunt, D Knight, G Lucas,

K Reed and I Wright (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill. Six members of the public attended.   

 

16/186. Chairs Welcome. Cllr Hutchings began by welcoming all.

 

16/187. Public Speaking.  No member of the public asked to speak.

 

16/188. Apologies. PCllr C Sampson sent apologies and these were accepted.

 

In response to an enquiry made at last month’s meeting the Clerk advised that SALC had informed the PC that a 6 months time period is enshrined in legislation (LGA 1972, s85) and cannot be amended by the Council in any way. Once an apology is accepted then the 6 month period is to start again.

 

16/189. Declarations of Interest. SH raised an interest as his wife is the Parish Caretaker. The Clerk advised that as he had declared this interest previously and it was well known of he did not need to declare it at every meeting.

 

The Clerk confirmed he had as requested at the previous meeting taken advice from SALC and it had been confirmed that when PCllrs as members of a informal working party recommend to the whole PC a course of action or that it purchase an item or service there is no requirement to declare an interest based simply on a Councillor being a member of both the panel and the Council.  

 

16/190. Police report. The Police despite being invited and confirming their intention to attend were not able to be present and no report was provided. Action. The Clerk to invite the Police to a future meeting.

 

16/191.  County Councillors Report.

DF advised that at Adsborough Hill A38 four weeks of work will start on 14th Nov to include closure of Star Lane (the road adj to the Maypole PH) whilst electricity cabling for lighting, footpaths and new bus stops are installed.

 

The Clerk reminded Parish Councillors that a request had been made last year to TDBC to finance two new bus shelters. In the event that Councils budget had already been spent so he had resubmitted the request earlier this year and is now awaiting a decision from TDBC.

 

16/192. Minutes of the 3rd October Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). These were agreed without any amendments being made and were signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

16/193. Matters arising from the minutes of the 3rd October Mtg.

 

16/169. Ham STW Access Track. Wessex Water have confirmed that they had completed the purchase of the land required from Tarmac and that regular meetings with neighbours would recommence (the next meeting is 8th Nov 7pm at the works Office). A request had been submitted asking if the remaining land purchases had been completed.

 

16/162(4) Access to houses adjacent to the village shop. A plan of the extent of the Highway has been obtained from SCC Highways and circulated to PCllrs.

 

16/149. West View - lower part Green Space. The Clerk advised that he had informed TDBC of the troubles being experienced as this ground is their responsibility. TDBC had now responded stating they would install bollards to prevent car being driven on the footpath again.

 

16/160 (6).  Taunton Model Engineers (TME). The Clerk advised that he circulated the relevant recent correspondence incl the last version of the draft lease to PCllrs along with improvements or amendments desired by PCllrs and that these would be considered at a meeting of the PC to take place on the 28th Nov. See also minute 16/179 (5).

 

16/162 (1) Highways Defects.  The Clerk had asked TDBC Enforcement Officers that they ask Linden Homes Estate (Sweeting Close) final surface dressings to be laid on as they no longer being on site. No reply had been received yet.

 

16/163 (1). Footpaths: Parish Footpaths Volunteer. The Clerk confirmed that volunteer Parishioner Fred A’Court had confirmed that he would undertake the role of Parish Footpaths Volunteer. The Clerk had advised SCC RofW and it is now anticipated they would support him as he commence the role. Action. Clerk to circulate Fred A’Court’s contacts to PCllrs.


16/163. (3) Canal Bridge, St Michaels Road. The Clerk confirmed that the River and Canal Trust had agreed that the cutting of the undergrowth had been put on their maintenance programme as requested.

Action. Clerk to follow up as it has yet to be cut.

 

16/178. (5) Risk Assessment of Assets. SG advised that the caretaker had restained the Seat in Rylesland Way.

 

16/58.  Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. The Clerk advised that following TDBC confirmation that they do own the enclosed land adj to the canal TDBC had now made safe the damaged gate by covering it with wire fencing. The Clerk advised that he had also requested that the vegetation on this over grown land be cut.

 

 

 

16/194. Planning.

(1) Planning Applications received. The following application was considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

19/10/2016

14/16/0045

15 Paddock Close, CSM. Extension to bungalow to west and north and replacement garage.

The PC noted this was a resubmission of application 14/13/0035 which was granted in Nov 2013.

The PC decided to support.

     

(2) West of England Dev’s Application on land to the South West of Creech Medical Centre for 35 homes in

Hyde Lane 14/16/0031.  SH reported the decision of the TDBC Planning Ctte made at their meeting on 2nd Nov to

refuse this outline application. CS, SWH and himself had spoken at the Planning meeting. SH highlighted that the

application should not have got as far as it did as the area is outside of the development boundary and this decision

highlighted the need to adhere to it. SWH advised that SCC had already levied S106 on developers to finance the

footpaths and now needed to build it. SWH added that it was important we push on with the Neighbourhood Plan as

once it’s in place it will set out what we want rather having to accept what we are given. DF advised that the land for

the footpath is owned by the developer and a CPO process will take time to acquire. DF also reminded the PC that the

footpath route lies in the WM Parish and it needs to persuade that PC to support.

 

(3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. IW updated on progress on the survey and its results evaluation which is being undertaken by CCfS. The panel is anticipating having the results by the next meeting. Further consultations are planned with the young people through the two Schools and a survey of businesses. IW added that he was pushing for the Plan to be completed in months rather than over years and that a grant for £8,985 had been obtained from Groundwork. The Clerk outlined that the panel was keen to provide a further youth consultation event using professional youth workers to host an informal listening event for young people; to make the event more attractive to youth it had been suggested pizza was provided. The Parish Council agreed to the panels suggestion and to funding the cost upto £500. The Clerk also explained he had written to the National Lottery as requested asking them to clarify some points in their reply and that this had led to his being interviewed, submitting a lottery bid and that a decision is now awaited. The next meeting of the panel is on 14th Nov 6.30pm.

 

(4) Planning Enforcement. KH advised of two premises which appear to be occupied without having planning permission; one at the bottom of Charlton Lane and the other a caravan alongside the A361.

Action.  Report to TDBC Planning compliance for examination.

 

16/195. Accounts.

(1) Payments were approved for Clerks and Caretakers Salaries, HMRC (Tax due on Salaries) £207.65,

Somerset Pension Fund Acc (Nov pension deduction payments)        £213.41, Clerks October Expenses £127.89,

Bibby Factors Ltd Security (Rec Park 3d Security 3.10.16 to 30.10.16)            £216.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus Shelters 26.10.16) £45.00, British Gas (Redraw of outstanding cheque 100577 drawn 19.9.16) £35.61, Caretakers Expenses £93.22.

 

(2) Cheques drawn since last meeting; British Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 7-9-16 to 6-10-16 (as previously agreed) £40.51.

 

(3) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Groundwork (Grant to NH Plan) £8,985.00, Tone Youth

(Sept pitch fees) £20.00, Creech Cougars (Sept Pitch Fees) £40.00.  

 

(4) Authorisation to make payment before the next meeting. B Gas Electricity at Pavilion (7-10-16 to 6-11-16).

 

(5) Accounts 2016-17. The Clerk had circulated a bank reconciliation report for the first half year period 1/4/16 to 30/9/16 prior to the meeting. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2016 to 30th Sept 2016 are £71,561.61 and the expenditure for the same period £84,996.00.  A detailed explanation of the figures was given, including a detailed examination of the Councils provisions and expenditure to date. The report was accepted and then signed by the Chairperson as an accurate record. The Councils budget for 2017-18 will be examined in detail at the Dec and Jan meetings and grants will be considered in Dec.

 

(6) Defibulator. SG advised that he had examined the defibulator as part of the annual asset audit process and found the battery to have deteriorated with age (battery estimated life is 4 years). As a result he had consulted a specialist who had provided a report (which has been previously circulated) in which he recommended trading the unit in for a new one over replacing the battery. The Parish Council decided at an est cost of upto £1066 (using CIL monies) with PIP funding a box (See minute regarding location 16/198).

Action. SG to arrange to trade in and to identify a new defibulator to be purchased.

 

16/196.Rec Park.

(1) Update. SG reported that groups of youths had been causing problems at the Park and around the village. The Clerk reported that the hand dryer had been pulled off the wall and thanked the Chairman for refixing the dryer. IW highlighted that TME had written reporting owners were permitting their dogs to foul on the railway and that there access is via fencing that had broken down behind the building. IW suggested that this be repaired and this was agreed. Action. SH to take forward repairing of the fencing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

(2) Development. The Clerk reported that he had written to the owner making an offer to purchase 4 acres of the field as instructed. He had circulated the reply in which a request had been made to meet her surveyors costs. This was considered and it was agreed to write asking how much these would be and to reconsider once known.

Action. The Clerk to write to the owner asking to learn the amount of the surveyor fees.

 

16/197. Party in the Park 8th July 2017.

No report given. The Clerk requested the working party if they wished to draw any of the previously agreed payments to advise him timely. Action. The Clerk to advise PCllrs who had given donations to PIP16.

 

16/198.Telephone Boxes. BT had written to TDBC consulting on their plans to remove many telephone boxes across the Borough incl the four telephone boxes in the Parish. The Clerk suggested that BT’s mind was probably made up on not retaining them as working telephone boxes given current usage so the PC essentially has the options to either adopt them or they would be removed. The Clerk advised that he has surveyed each box and had provided a report prior to the meeting. The boxes in St Michaels Road and Ham are heritage red boxes and the boxes at Creech Heathfield and Worthy Lane are of a more modern design. Apart from St Michaels having a cracked pane, the box at Ham being in need of repainting and all being in urgent need of a good cleaning the four were found to be in reasonable condition. The Clerk highlighted that should the PC decide to adopt it would become the PC’s responsibility for periodic cleaning, painting, vandalism repairs, cost of the power for the light and insurance as well as paying the £1 to adopt each box. He had spoken to SCC Highways who had advised in principal they could stay in situ on the highway as they are deemed shelters and that there would be no cost for permitting their transfer of ownership to the PC.

 

DK advised of the consultation he had undertaken within Ham and reminded the PC of the letter sent by a resident. There is a clear desire to retain the box in Ham and a commitment to maintain it, to repaint it and to upgrade the lighting to l.e.d and he asked the PC to adopt the box to facilitate this. SH referred to the desire for a new more accessible site for the new defibulator (see minute 16/195 (6) above) and suggested that the PIP funding agreed for a new box be used to finance the adoption and conversion of the St Michaels Road telephone box as a housing for the defibulator. KR suggested that the Creech Heathfield box be retained for a book exchange.  It was then agreed to adopt these 3 telephone boxes (Ham, St Michael’s Road and Creech Heathfield for the purposes as above) and to accept the removal of the box at Worthy Lane.

 

DF advised that there was a specialist company that provide parts for telephone boxes and that he would provide details to the Clerk.

 

Action. The Clerk to inform TDBC of the PC decision to adopt the 3 telephone boxes at Ham, St Michael’s Road and Creech Heathfield and to the removal of the box at Worthy Lane. DF to get estimates for modernising the lighting in the boxes and electrics for the Ham and St Michaels boxes. 

 

16/199. Highways.

(1) Defects to be reported. None.  (2). A38 Adsborough Bus Shelters. See 16/191 above. (3) M5 Junc 25 Improvements. GL asked how a pedestrian and cyclists would navigate the new junction if it was to have four lanes under the motorway. The Clerk advised that he had seen the routing of the path/cycle ways at the consultation event and that he had a copy of the plan he would share with GL. The Clerk advised that he had written to SCC stating the PC’s support for the scheme alongside the need for improvements to Creech Castle Junction and for safety works in CSM.

                                       

16/200. Footpaths/ Rights of Way. The Clerk advised he had received a number of reports following the ploughing of the field behind the Undertakers. These had been referred to SCC RofW who had replied advising that RofW’s have to be reinstated within 2 weeks. The situation is being monitored.

 

16/201. Correspondence.

DK advised of a community development event in Ham. 41 residents are going to Oake Manor by coach following an enquiry of householders as to who would like to take part in community activities. This was welcomed by PCllrs.

 

16/202. New Matters to be carried forward.

Grants to be considered at the Dec mtg. The Budget will be examined at the Dec/Jan meetings. APM Speakers.

 

The meeting closed at 8.30pm.

 

Future Meetings; The CSM Neighbourhood Plan Panel will meet on Monday 14th November 6.30pm.

The next Parish Council meetings will be held at 7pm on Monday 28th November 2016 (meeting to be closed to public and press) and on Monday 5th December 2016 (Open to all).

All in the Lower Cttee Room, CSM Village Hall.

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net