/ Parish Council / Finance Sub Committee / Minutes 29th October 2019



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC Finance Sub Committee
held at 7.00pm on Monday 29
th October 2019

in the upstairs Cttee room of CSM Village Hall.

Present PCllrs P Brown, B Brighton and S Hutchings. S Altria (Parish Clerk). No public attended.


Fin 19/41. Welcome. PCllr P Brown chaired the meeting.


Fin 19/42. Apologies for absence. PCllr N Davidson.


Fin 19/43. Declarations of Interests. SH declared an interest re Caretaker and Allotments. SH left the meeting for item 19/49.


Fin 19/44. Minutes – to approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 19th August 2019.

(These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


Fin 19/45. Matters arising from the minutes of the 19th August Mtg. All the actions identified and agreed had been completed and no matters remain to be reported.


Fin 19/46. Finance Regulations. The Clerk had previously circulated a position statement on the requirements of the new Fin Regulations that had been adopted and this was considered and accepted. It was agreed in principal that the Clerk would develop a listing of routine payments for annual consideration by the PC for payment and then reporting (with other payments being subjected to prior agreement at PC mtg as per reg 5.6). Reg 9.9 triggered a discussion on cash handling around PIP, the need for the Unity Acc was queried, the need for greater transparency and size of the PIP balance. These are to be conveyed to the PIP panel again. Reg 15.1 The sum for Insuring assets was agreed at £100 per item plus and on Reg 15.5 The current FG insurance of £250k was agreed as adequate. At Reg 17.1 it was noted that Risk Assessments were done on Assets, the PIP event and Play Equipment in the Rec Park but the PC is responsible for having R.A statements for all activities. It was accepted that all meant all significant activities not literally every activity. R. A’s identified as required (not necessarily exhaustive) include the PIP Senior Citizens afternoon, the PIP Tidy Up event, Highway walk about’s and the Canal carpark operation.

Action. Clerk to request/ensure RA’s are undertaken.


Fin 19/47. Purchase of Canal Car Park. The PC Solicitor had sent through legal papers and these had been circulated ahead of the meeting. These were reviewed in detail and agreed to continue with purchase.

Action. Clerk to seek clarification from the PC Solicitor on some points.


Fin 19/48. Accounts (2019/2020). The reconciliation and report were examined in detail for the 1st half year. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2019 to 30th September 2019 is £205,317.55 and the expenditure for the same period is £131,954.77 and is in line with expectations albeit enhanced by S106 funds and payments for the Rec Park works. The Chair checked the bank rec back to the three original bank statements and then signed each to confirm £ balances. It was noted that the SWTC annual grant for burial ground/playing field had yet to be received. The Clerk advised he had queried this and that staff changes at that Council had left tasks o/s-a meeting was to be held on 5th Nov to establish what SWTC are doing re grants. SH raised that the Clerks phone had stopped synching with Outlook and had been advised this was due to having not having brought a subscription license. After discussion it was agreed that the Clerk would access his mail box using the internet when away from his office and the matter would be reconsidered at the Jan finance mtg and experience reviewed. The Clerk also explained that he had made an error in the computation of his pay that would necessitate a one-off correction of £29.87 gross to Nov Pay and this was agreed.

A report on the S106 monies/Contract sums was considered and accepted. Clerk also updated on CIL funding.

A discussion was also held on the accumulated balance for the North End Grass Cutters and it was suggested if this could be used to catalyse further improvement areas.

Action. PB to consider the development of further improvement areas and the Clerk to ensure SWTC grant is received.



Fin 19/49. Budget (2020/2021). The Clerk provided an early report on next year’s budget and a wide-ranging exchange took place on the areas of pressure and flexibility. This included a discussion triggered by the questioning of why the Caretaker didn’t get a pay increment (SH left the room and took no part on this). The meeting also reflected on the need for the management arrangements of the new MUGA and lighting to be determined and acknowledged that this may impact on both the caretaker’s and others duties, the website and the PC budget.

Action. The Clerk to raise issues with Rec Park Panel, SG, LG and to present a draft budget to PC at its Dec mtg for consideration and agreement at the Jan Meeting.



Fin 19/50. Banking. The Unity Acc had been discussed at item Fin 19/48 above. Teething problems with new Lloyds Acc were now abating and online payments are being made. Three additional signatories had been agreed with one having provided details and two awaited. Use of the HSBC Acc was now down; a low balance remains with only one DD for EDF Electricity and Income from the SW Lottery going through the account. It remains the aspiration to open a Nationwide deposit A/C in the new year following the completion of the Rec Park projects.


Fin 19/51. Annual Risk Assessment of Assets. The Clerk reported that the annual audit was almost complete and that he hoped it would be by the PC mtg. A discussion took place on the need to consider the noticeboard in the centre of the village, the emerging need to replace the legs of the Ham noticeboard and the need for dog bin at Ham to be repainted. It was noted that the audit had been done by a limited number of PCllrs and that other PCllrs should be encouraged more to participate next near. It was agreed to recommend in principle the sale of the conference equip.



Fin 19/52. Insurance Claim. At the meeting with the Loss Adjustor he had agreed to recommend to the Ins Co payment of the contents stolen in full £6,959.35 less the Policy excess of £250 and all bar £100 of the damage quotations £710. Total Sum £7,319.35.

In his subsequent email however the contents had been reduced with a figure of £6,862 stated. The Clerk has not accepted this and has asked for an explanation for the reduction of £457.35. A reply is awaited.


Fin 19/53. Grants. Grants for St Michael Church (Burial Ground) was considered and is to be recommended to the PC at £685. A request from Love Musgrove was also considered and it was decided not to recommend making a grant. The need for a Grants Policy was identified.


Fin 19/54. Dates of next meeting/s; To be agreed in due course (Jan).



The meeting closed at 10.20pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01923 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net