/ Parish Council / Mhue 2 / Minutes 13th May 2020



Meeting of the CSM & WM PCs Joint MH2 Panel

13th May 2020 at 10.30am online using Zoom

Draft Minutes

48. In attendance:

WM PCllr Panel members: H Ellis, A Hall, B Gage, M Besley

WM PCllr “Observers” S Haskins, G Hope

SWT Cllr by invite N Cavill

CSM PCllrs Panel members: P Brown (Chair), B Brighton, C Cudlip and J Pengelley

Clerks: A Shepherd, S Altria, P Cavill.

49. Minutes of Mtg held on 18th Feb 2020.

(These had been previously circulated to PCllrs). The minutes of the 18th February meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

50. Minutes of Mtg held on 12th March 2020.

(These had been previously circulated to PCllrs). The minutes of the 12th March meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

51. Note of Mtg held on 16th March 2020.

(These had been previously circulated to PCllrs). The notes of the 16th March meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

52. Minutes of Mtg held on 30th March 2020.

(These had been previously circulated to PCllrs). The minutes of the 30th March meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

53. Matter’s arising.

It was agreed that there were no outstanding issues.

54. Response to Persimmon/Redrow consultation on MH2.

The Draft reply (v6) schedule (having been previously circulated to PCllrs ahead of the meeting) was reviewed item by item and various wording additions and changes agreed.

Action. PB to write a covering letter and the Clerk to make agreed changes to schedule and to circulate once again ahead of submitting before agreed deadline 18.5.2020 a.m.to Persimmon and Redrow.

55. Traffic Data provided by Persimmon/Redrow.

The data received was noted but was judged to be of limited value as the Speed data reflects the speed that drivers attained over the counters and not in the centre of the village where they speed up. It also does not show the traffic turning from Lipe Lane into Ruishton and it was noted that the counter straps had been broken for days suggesting figures were too low.

The key requirement is for the Scope of the Traffic Modelling which had been requested from SCC Highways and which had been advised was still being actively discussed. It was agreed to request a zoom meeting with SCC Highways. Panel seeking to ensure scope is complete.

Action. Clerk to set up a zoom meeting with SCC Highways



Minutes Continue Overleaf….

56. Arts Taunton.

Arts Taunton working with CreateStreets, a design consultancy, had written to both PCs requesting that CreateStreets be engaged to review the MH phase 2 masterplan which is currently out for consultation by Persimmon and Redrow; with each PC meeting one third of the costs. Arts Taunton have suggested that CreateStreets do this by:

  • Re-reading the design code. Understanding where it has some teeth (and where it has none)

  • Suggesting key ways in which the Persimmon / Redrow “master plan” needs to be required to align to that

  • Drafting short but pointed material for the PCs to send to (a) developers but also (b) officials (c) ward councillors (d) Planning committee members with very specific suggestions about (i) changes to the master plan and (ii) probably more important things Planning committee should insist on. 

WM PCllrs then advised that Arts Tauntons request had been considered at their PC meeting the previous evening and it had been agreed to in principle with the proviso that it is the SWTC Masterplan that is reviewed. CSM PCllrs agreed to hold a meeting with Arts Taunton to consider whether to support.

Action. Clerk to organise a Zoom mtg with Arts Taunton.

57. SWTC Consultation in the Master Plan for the dev site south of Manor Farm, Langaller.

SWTC have prepared a Masterplan and Design Guidance for land South of Manor Farm, Langaller (land lying east of the A38, adjacent to the M5 motorway at Monkton Heathfield which is currently identified exclusively for employment development. SWTC are proposing to release some of the site for housing development). The draft Masterplan and Design Guidance has been prepared by Thrive Architects on behalf of the Council and SWTC have invited both PCs to comment on the draft document before it is approved for Development Management purposes, and used to determine future planning applications. Consultation deadline is 5th June.

Action. WM PC Clerk to look out the comments on South of Manor Farm at the Exec and for another zoom mtg to be held ahead of the 5th June to go through them.

58. Report to the SWTC Exec 20th May 6.15pm.

Despite numerous requests there had been no consultation once again on the reports going to the Exec and it was noted that the contents still showed the concerns that had been highlighted at the Exec in Jan and subsequent meeting with the Leader, Planning Portfolio Holder and Officers in March.

It was agreed to send a letter to SWTC Executive raising PCllrs concerns over lack of engagement and the repetition of the PCllrs points of concern in the report and to request to speak at the Executive.

Action. Clerk to book a slot for Chairperson to speak at the SWTC Exec on 20th May. There will also be a need to respond to a future SWTC consultation on MH2 Masterplan.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting ended at 1pm.

Steve Altria/Clerk/CSM&WM PC Joint MHUE Panel 18 5 20

Page 2 of 2