/ Parish Council / Minutes / 13th September 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Additional Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Thursday 13th September 2018

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), A Birch, C Cudlip, D Finch, Y Guest, S Harris, D Knight, and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). 3 Members of the public attended.

 

18/164. Chairs Welcome. SH welcomed all.

 

18/165. Apologies. PCllrs Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), P Brown and G Lucas. The Clerk. SCClr D Fothergill.

 

18/166. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. None.

 

18/167. Rec Park Improvements. SH explained this was an additional meeting held to review whether to replace the building in the Rec Park as planned or whether to amend the plans with a new or revised requirement and to agree a way forward for the PC.

 

AB advised that he had examined the costs/income of running a building with typical use with indoor sports and advised that weekly costs (based on Sport England costs) were £1,206 p/wk and a build cost of £1.5m. Taunton Vale/Blackbrook similar size charge £36/£44 phr; an average of £40 phr meaning any centre would have to be used for 31 hrs per week to break even. If used for more hours management and cleaning costs would increase.

 

Consideration was given to the 3,500 houses to be built in the urban extension area and the associated CIL that will arrive in time, but it was agreed that as these have yet to have detailed planning the funding cannot be relied on at this time. CC advised that the CIL accruing should be used as directed by the Neighbourhood and Community Action Plans and these highlight that the priority is major traffic safety improvements.

 

AB explained that he had met with Somerset Activity and Sports Partnership (SASP) who had advised that getting external funding was difficult and should not be relied upon. Viridor prioritise their funding based on proximity to Landfill sites and Sport England have £10m for the whole of the UK.

 

SH explained he could for see that indoor sports would be needed and therefore had support the original proposals and questioned why the running costs had not been determined before.

 

Significant discussion took place on whether the inclusion of FA standard changing rooms would facilitate the use of S106 Leisure money being used. Both modular and timber framed buildings as cost effective options were considered. However it was agreed that the cost of a building of 25m x 8m would lead to the PC being committed to expenditure outside of its means. It was agreed therefore that a new pavilion was not viable; so the PC agreed to seek quotations for a programme of leisure improvements in the park including an additional (capable of being used for tennis and multi use) and flood light MUGA, to flood light the existing MUGA and to provide a running track and gym equipment.

 

CS advised she had been informed by TDBC previously that outdoor gym equipment was not considered as children’s play but offered to check again. DF reminded the PC that a skateboard park had been requested and CS agreed to see if this can be funded from children’s play S106 monies. This led to a lengthy discussion about the possibility of this creating anti social behaviour and DF and CS agreed to investigate the request further.

 

CS agreed to contact the supplier of the MUGA for quotations.

 

Finally the PC agreed to spend the funding set aside for a replacement pavilion on a refurbishment project on the pavilion and/or Engine Shed buildings. CC to review the buildings and give his opinion on the most cost effective options for refurbishments.

 

AB requested that the fence of the toddler area be straightened in the separate play project, in order to allow better vehicle access to the engine shed and thereby enabling the surrounding are to be used for parking.

 

Actions.

To seek quotations for a programme of leisure improvements in the park including an additional (capable of being used for tennis and multi use) and flood light MUGA, to flood light the existing MUGA and to provide a running track and gym equipment.

CS to clarify use of S106 monies with TDBC, to contact MUGA supplier for quotations and to ensure play equipment

project includes some refencing of the toddler area.

CC to review the buildings and to give cost effective options for refurbishments.

 

The meeting was closed at 8pm.

 

Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 1st Oct and 5th November at 7pm.

These meetings are to be held in Ground floor Village Hall Cttee Room.

 

 

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net