/ Parish Council / Minutes / 14th May 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 14th May 2018

In the Upper Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings, (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, P Brown, S Harris, D Knight, G Lucas and I Wright

(Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill. TDBCllr D Durdan.

Three members of the public attended.


18/83. Chairs Welcome. The Chair welcomed all.


18/84. Public Speaking. Lynn Gates reminded the PC that over £21,000 had been spent to date on getting plans for a new pavilion to the stage of having obtained planning permission. LG asked the PC to justify this spend and advise of the anticipated additional costs if a smaller pavilion as referred to at the APM is now to be built. Several PCllrs responded and SH advised no decision had yet taken place. SG explained that he had looked at the running and staffing costs and this made the building as planned unviable financially so we have looked at providing what people wanted; hence why it was raised at the APM so people can come forward with their ideas. SG added that costs would be limited to Planning Fees as drawing would be done by a volunteer. LG advised that when she was on the PC she said it was too large and the PC would have to employ a caretaker for which the Parish would not have the funds. IW advised that having drawn up plans we paused for the Neighbourhood Plan to see what the Parish wanted, the survey had shown a need for additional indoor sports. IW added weve yet to put together a business case to examine the costs. LG suggested that the scheme was overly ambitious. SH advised that the PC is looking at all options before confirming a preferred build. Brenda Brighton asked when it had been discussed as a decision to change plans was stated at the APM. IW advised that no change or decision on alternatives had yet been taken by the PC, the whole project had been targeted at getting Sport England to help finance the project and met their minimum requirements for indoor provision. SG explained that we are discussing options in order to ensure we don’t build something that will burden the Parish. LG suggested this calls into question the judgement of the PC. A decision was taken to ensure enough time was allocated at the next PC meeting that the PC to fully discuss the matter and with the intention of making a decision on how to go forward. DK reminded PCllrs that the developers funds were time limited.


18/85. Election of Chair. Simon Hutchings asked for nominations for the position of Chair. SH was nominated and then elected as Chairperson. SH then signed the acceptance of office. SH thanked Parish Councillors for their support.


18/86. Apologies. PCllrs Y Guest and C Sampson sent their apologies and the reasons given were accepted.


18/87. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. SH restated his declaration of his interest regarding item 18/97 (7) as his wife is employed as Parish Caretaker. No other PCllr declared an interest.


18/88. Election of Vice Chair. Steve Greenhalgh was re-elected as Vice Chairperson.


18/89. Vacancies on the Parish Council. The Clerk advised that PCllr K Reed had resigned and that he had informed

TDBC’s Electoral Officer. The PC has placed notices of the vacancy to start the process of establishing whether there is

to be an election or if the PC can co-opted onto the Council (Anyone interested in becoming a PCllr should speak to the

Clerk or TDBC Electoral Services Manager on 01984 635272).


18/90. Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities. PCllrs considered Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities for the forthcoming year and confirmed that ;


(1) Finance Sub Ctte Membership – P Brown, C Sampson, S Hutchings, S Altria (Parish Clerk).


(2) Planning working party membership, SW Harris, S Greenhalgh, S Hutchings (also responsible for enforcement)


(3) Youth working party Membership – C Sampson, Y Guest, J Hodge (Co-Opted), S Altria (Parish Clerk).


(4) Neighbourhood Plan panels membership of the NH Panels membership. (Co-opted) C Cudlip (Chair), J Birch,

F A'Court, L Crowley, A Hayes, J McCarthy, A Oldham, J Read and J Scott. PCllr P Brown. S Coles (WYG) and

S Altria (Parish Clerk). Vacancy (was Vice Chair),


(5) PIP18 working party S Greenhalgh, C Sampson, D Knight, Y Guest and A Birch.


(6) Highways and Fly tipping G Lucas, S Greenhalgh and P Brown.


(7) Footpaths - Fred A’ Court, Diana Eubank Scott (Co-Opted).


(8) Publicity, Website and Communications – A Birch, C Sampson.


(9) Recreation Field – C Sampson, S Greenhalgh, A Birch, Y Guest, D Knight.


(10) Wessex Water/Flooding/Environment Agency – A Birch and D Knight.


(11) Health and Safety – I Wright.


(12) New Pavilion fundraising. The Clerk suggested that in view of the scale of the project that the arrangements

should be formalised with a written constitution, public meetings and be minuted.


As a decision had been taken earlier (see item 18/84) to discuss and agree what form a new pavilion should take it was agreed that the membership of the New Pavilion fundraising panel (17/18 CS, SG, AB, YG, DK, IW) should be agreed once the decision has been taken.


(13) It was agreed that membership of the following working parties are to be determined by full Council as and when

required; Personnel, Complaints and Grievances, Appeals, Disciplinary Appeals .


The representation agreed for outside bodies;


(14) Village Hall P Brown


(15) United Charities G Hodge (Co-Opted)


18/91. District Councillors’ Report. DD advised that;

(1) TDBC had formally received the draft CSM NH Plan and where currently consulting upon it.

(2) A blockage in the road at Coombe had been referred to him and that he had advised Highways of the house owner.

(3) He had attended a presentation on the new data protection law (GDPR) and undertook to send the Clerk a copy.


18/92. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised;

(1) Primary School Places for Sept 2018: 93.8 per cent of 5665 children starting school in 2018 have been allocated places at their first choice primary school, a slight increase on previous years (2nd preference – 3.6 per cent (202 applications), 3rd preference – 1 per cent (59 applications).

(2) Regional adoption agency: Somerset has over 500 Children in Care and though Good for it’s adoption services the Government now requires wider regional arrangements to be set up. Later this year therefore, Devon, Plymouth, Torbay and Somerset’s adoption services will join together to become a single service to be called Adopt South West..

(3) Fit for the Future: Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group (the organisation that plans and buys healthcare services for Somerset residents) and SCC have agreed to work closer together than ever before and deliver a joint Somerset Health and Social Care Strategy called ‘Fit For The Future’. The aim is to remove inequalities so that everyone gets equal access to the services they need; to get more high quality services in communities and closer to home; to invest in prevention so that people can stay healthy and as independent for as long as possible – and for everyone to have a strong voice in shaping any future proposals.

(4) Somerset Waste Partnership: Following initial setbacks with the current contractor SWP has now submitted an official notice to procure a new contractor for the Recycle More programme starting in 2020. This invites potential bidders to register their interest ahead of the full procurement process.

(5) Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership: The Local Enterprise partnership has appointed a new Chief Executive replacement for Chris Garcia who retires in June. David Ralph start on Monday 4th June. Elsewhere the Somerset Chamber of Commerce will be looking for a new CEO as Dale Edwards has stepped down.

(6) Somerset Energy and Innovation Centre: Phase 2 of the building of the Somerset Energy Innovation centre in Bridgwater is well underway and to mark the progress a “bolt tightening” event was held on Wednesday 25th of April..

(7) Dementia Awareness: Dementia Action Week, led by the Alzheimer’s Society, is taking place this week [21-27 May] and Somerset County Council is calling on everyone to come together and help create a ‘dementia-friendly’ County. SCC wants more people to sign up to be a Dementia Friend visit http://www.dementiafriends.org.uk.

(8) Highways Enforcement: SCC prosecuted Vodafone and BT as its committed to minimising disruption. Vodafone was fined £15,000 for carrying out general maintenance works when directed not to and causing severe traffic disruption leading to queues of more than four miles in both directions. BT was fined £25,000 over a number of incidents relating to the replacement of telegraph poles and cabinets. The firm carried out works when directed not to by SCC as they involved blocking roads, potentially delaying the travelling public and emergency services.

(9) Somerset Day May 11th: Somerset Day was launched in 2015 with the mission to make it a day set aside to celebrate all that’s great about our county. Events are taking place across Somerset include The Great Somerset Tea Party in aid of St Margaret’s Hospice and the Pride of Somerset Youth Awards at the Bridgwater and Taunton College.


18/93. SCC commissioning of feasibility work to explore local government reorganisation options for

Somerset. DF advised that SCC have invited partners including District Councils to enter into a conversation looking at options for introducing a Unitary model of local government into Somerset. Whilst this is the very start of discussions it could see the abolition of the six current councils including the County Council and the establishment of one, two or some other configuration of single-tier authorities. It may extend to include the former historic Somerset Unitary Authorities. Initial estimates show that between £18 and £28 million pound could be released annually to invest into front line services as well as providing the public with greater clarity through a single point of contact on public services. SCC has also stressed the increased role that Town and Parishes would be able to play in the governance of the County to ensure local participation and consideration. The next stage is for willing partners to debate the approach before moving to a business case(s) and then Government consideration. GL asked why the proposed TDBC/WSDC merger was taking place? DD advised that are waiting for parliamentary permission. SWH suggested that the proposed merger was not wanted and that the Districts would fight for their life. PB observed that Somerset was out of kilter with other SW Councils which had gone Unitary. It was suggested that too much money was being spent on running Councils rather than services. The Clerk welcomed a potentially enhanced role for Parish Councils in the delivery of local services highlighting that PC’s provide the greatest value and services closest to their communities.


18/94. Minutes of the 9th April Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting





17/95. Matters arising from the minutes of the 9th April Mtg.

The Clerk reported;


18/69. That Linden Homes had responded quickly to resident Lynn Stone who had raised a smell in Hyde Lane and had resolved the matter to her satisfaction.


18/2. Allotments. The Allotment Society at their meeting 12/4/18 had advised that they preferred a 5year lease with a further increase linked to inflation for the final year. This had been put to the Land Owner for a decision.

Action. The Clerk to document the agreement for the Society and Landowner once agreement has been reached.


18/6 (8) M5 Tunnel The Clerk advised that he had now written to Highways regarding taking forward the idea of using the unused tunnel at Langaller for pedestrians and awaited their reply.

Action. Clerk to follow up with Highways.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.


16/58. Over grown vegetation on TDBC owned Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. After the site meeting the Clerk had documented with Wessex Water and Larkfleet items identified. Larkfleet have been asked about the arrangements for clearing their bank and fencing it, ensuring their path join the existing path and what regular maintenance arrangements will be once they theve left the site. No reply had been received so this would be escalated.

A report from Wessex Water on one of the drains had been received from WW who advised that they could not use the camera. Nor could they inspect the drain in view of the overgrowth but had seen water emitting from the opposite bank. the Clerk had replied advising that the manhole cover was not coming off on its own accord and had suggested that they ask the landowner to clear the overgrowth to prevent further damage to the drain and so it can be inspected

Further progress on cutting the bank side weed by the DLO is required though it had been accepted that this would be achieved over time.

Action. Clerk to follow issues up with DLO/Larkfleet/WW.


17/125 Dog Bins. The DLO had now installed a new bin at Creech Heathfield and will empty twice weekly.


17/207. Defibulator’s. The Chair along with Heartstart Somerset had installed the defibulator’s and their cabinets in the Telephone Boxes. Jim Pike had rewired the boxes. Free training will be offered shortly locally on their use. Callers ring 999 and quote the postcode which appears on the cabinets to the ambulance service in order to ensure an ambulance is mobilised. A discussion took place on the need to have a defibrillator sign on the boxes and to raise awareness through the Creech News, Website, Facebook and an A5 flyer to be distributed at the Party In the Park.

Action. The Clerk to ask BT to remove the Box at Worthy Lane.


17/224 (5) Larkfleet Grant Fund. The Clerk having submitted a bid to the Cambs Community Foundation that manages the Larkfleet Fund is awaiting their decision which could be expected between June and August .


17/228. “Missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way. FA’C had asked the Canal Society as owners of the “missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way

if they would surface it. As the Canal Society had advised that they did not have the money FA’C had suggested that the PC offer 50% of the cost and that the £200 PiP had allocated to footpaths be part of this funding. In order to make an informed decision the Clerk had sought a specification which he shared with the PCllrs. It was decided to proceed and to seek contributions from TDBC and the Canal Society (who would also need to give permission for the work). The handrail to be fitted on the canal side.

Action. The Clerk to ask the Canal Society for permission and a contribution. DD to request a contribution from TDBC.


18/78. Annual Parish Meeting April 27th Friday 2018. PCllrs reflected on the APM.


18/96. Planning. (1). The following planning applications were considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

21/03/2018

14/18/0008

9, Dillons Road, CSM. Erection of single storey extension and construction of dormer window to the rear.

To support

29/03/2018

14/18/0009

Maizehaven Barn, White Street, Ham, CSM. Prior approval for proposed change of use from agricultural building to dwelling house (Use Class C3) and associated building operations.

To support

12/04/2018

4/40/18/0002 (SCC)

Ham Sewage Treatment Works, Ham Lane, CSM. Development within the Sewage Treatment Works site to construct sewage sludge dewatering plant including Motor Control Kiosk, Poly Handling Kiosk and Poly Dosing Kiosk. The remaining works on site are to be conducted under Wessex Water's Permitted Development Rights.

No objection providing a planning requirement that all traffic is to use the new access track.

(2). CSM Neighbourhood Plan. The Clerk advised that Version7 of the draft plan has been submitted to TDBC. TDBC are undertaking section 16 consultation on the plan over the period 10th May to 22nd June 2018. The responses received will be reported to the PC and recommendation obtained from WYG. Following PC decision the Plan will be redrafted as appropriate and v8 produced and submitted for review by the Inspector. It was noted that TDBC are seeking an inspector and they will advise (for agreement) who this will be shortly. In the meantime the NH Plan Panel had started looking at drafting a Community Action Plan which the Clerk advised he will pull together and issue in due course. At the APM a presentation had been made updating those present on progress and next steps and the opportunity was taken to stress the importance of a positive vote later this year. It was noted that West Monkton and Cheddon Fitzpaine had voted 94% in favour of their plan on the 19th April and TDBC had passed their plan at their Full Council meeting on the 23rd April.



18/97. Finance.

(1) Cheques drawn since last meeting. Somerset Heartstart (2 Defibrillators) £2,132.00 and B Gas (Pavilion Electricity supply 6th Mar -7th April 2018) £229.83.


(2) Accounts authorised for Payment. The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, Clerks April Expenses £142.71, WYG (Neighbourhood Plan Consultancy 18.3.18 -14.4.18) £2,400.00, K Signs (SW) Ltd (PIP Banners update) £18.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus Shelters Cleaning 18.4.18)£75.00, TDBC (DLO Dog Bins emptying 2017-18) £1,326.96, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 26.3.18-29 4.18) £270.00, British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 7.3.18-9.5.18) £57.65, SALC (SALC/NALC Affiliation Fees 2018/2019) £720.90, Jim Pike (Rewiring Telephones boxes for defibs/new lights £330.00), B Howe (Internal Audit Fees)£293.00, EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 3.2.18-10.4.18) £12.85 and K Hutchings £437.66 ( Replacement cheq702 not presented).


(3) Invoices received but not paid; Opus (Pavilion Gas supply 12.3.18- 11.4.18 and Gas supply 12.4.18- 11.5.18) as account £19.50 in credit.


(4) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; South West Lottery (Lottery proceeds) £4.00 and £5.00.

Tone Youth (Football Pitch Fees 8/18/22/25/29 April) £100.00 and Somerset Youth Service (First 50% Grant for 18/19)£1,500.00.

(5) Approval to pay these on receipt of invoices (subject to 2 PCllrs signatures) was approved; PIP grants.

(6) Internal Audit. The Internal Audit had been completed and the auditor had signed off the accounts as accurate. He had made a number of recommendations which the PC considered, in particular he had asked the 'Party in the Park' and the Finance Sub Cttee risk assess the events cash handling,, that the finance Sub Cttee consider the use the pro forma forms for the bank rec, the variances, contact details, etc. provided by the new external auditor and that a separate bank account for CIL receipts be opened (Agreed). The Papers along with variance explanations will now be sent to the PC external auditors and the audit notice posted. The Clerk added that questions would continue to be answered at any time of year and not just the audit period.


(7) Pay Award. The PC ratified the National Joint Councils Pay Award to Council staff wef 1/4/18.


17/98. Recreation Park. (1) Update report. It was agreed that the Somerset Playing Fields Association would be engaged to undertake the annual independent play equipment inspection. (2) Development. See discussion at item 18/84 above regarding the replacement Pavilion. SH advised that work was also taking place on plans for additional play equipment. He would be consulting and then bringing forward proposals to a future meeting for additional play equipment and a trim trail for decision. SH also confirmed that the levelling work would recommence now the land was dryer. A decision on retaining the electrical supply to the former Engine Shed is to be made at the next meeting.


18/99. Party in the Park 14th July 2018. AB reported £4,400 worth of tickets sales with more yet to come in and that there are over 50 stalls. The event was expected to breakeven before the day. No sponsorship had yet been obtained and companies are being sought to support. The Flower show would take part this year with a competition. Four gazebos ordered are due to arrive this week. Scaffold was being sought to extend the stage and a request was made for anyone who could help to contact the Cttee. SG had attended the Safety Action Group who were happy with the arrangements met. IW questioned the arrangements for Bouncy Castle and suggested that a hierarchal R.A was required and counselled the panel not to rely on the contractors own. Highways have asked for a dirty road plan. Agreed that Septic Tank be emptied week before. A article for the Creech News had been written A Village Clear Up day is to take place on 30th June starting at the Rec Park with a BBQ afterwards.

Action. Clerk to add Gazebos to Insurance once they arrive and arrange septic tank empty.


18/100. Highways.

(1) Defects reported. GL asked if the blocked drains in Hyde Lane had been cleared. The Clerk confirmed that he had reported them as blocked to SCC Highways.GL also asked when West View pavements will be relaid. The Clerk advised that he would enquire of Highways.

Action. Clerk to ask SCC Highways when the pavements in West View will be resurfaced.

(2) Road Safety. The Clerk reported that SH, PB, Charlie Cudlip and himself had walked through the village with SCC Highways Engineers (see previously circulated report). He believed the Engineers now appreciate the extent of the problems as traffic on the day had given no quarter despite the Engineers obvious presence in their dayglo jackets. However beyond financing some temporary safety measures whilst their forthcoming M5 Junc 25 work takes place and supporting the development of a Traffic Management Plan in principle they were clear they had no finance for a programme of safety work through the Village. A similar request had been made to Highways England Engineers but they had declined at this stage as SCC had appraised them following the earlier meeting. As a first step to gaining wider appreciation of the problems and the development of a TMP he had invited SLR to express interest in developing a Feasibility Report showing potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes through CSM. SLR had offered to do at a cost of £5,000. He had also asked SCC/TDBC for their estimates of the additional traffic that will occur once the Monkton Heathfield Urban Development is in place but this assessment has yet to be done. SG questioned who would pay for the works. PB suggested that as the key is getting TDBC to understand the implications of their permitting building we should argue that CIL money should finance this and that the needs of the village should be built into the Urban Development. SH highlighted that the A38 Adsborough improvements only came about following a SLR report.

PB suggested we invite DF along with John Williams and Roger Habgood of TDBC to walk through the Village and then invite them to get an officer group together to address. It was then agreed to invite DF, JW and RB to walk through.

Action. Clerk to invite DF, JW and RB to an escorted walk through the Village.


18/101. Footpaths/RofW. (1) Defects. Fred A’Court, the Parish Footpaths Volunteer had sent his monthly report (circulated prior to the meeting) for which he was thanked.

(2) Ryesland Way to Canal Bridge 26 slope. See 18/79 above.


18/102. Open Access Youth Club. The Clerk reported that one of the two interested companies that had expressed an interest to run the club had withdrawn. The panel (CS/YG/JH/Clerk) are meeting the remaining Company on June 7th to ascertain what they could offer. It is noted that the Village Hall small hall is available as a venue option.

Action. The panel to meet the youth provider and report back.


18/103. Bus Shelters. In response to a request made by Jan Pike for a bus shelter to be sited at Creech Heathfield the Clerk had asked Highways if a site was possible and for permission. They had responded positively advising that the only site possible is for a cantilever style stop on the grass verge immediately north of the entrance into Heathfield Close, about halfway between the Charlton Lane and Crown Lane stops and had asked if this is too far and suggested it replace both stops. It was agreed to ask JP of her views but in principle to proceed, subject to a future grant bid being successful. The Clerk had enquired about grants and applications will be considered at the end of 2018/19 financial year so this will be a long term project.

Action. The Clerk to ask JP and in due course apply for a grant.


18/104. Matters to be carried forward. The promised consultation on the Taunton Transport Plan is to be undertaken this summer. A need for further dog bins by Canal to be considered.


The meeting was closed at 9.50pm.

Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 4th June and 2nd July at 7pm.

The next CSM Neighbourhood Plan meeting date has yet to be confirmed (see website for update) 6.30pm.

These meetings to be held in the Village Hall Lower Cttee Room. (During VHall building works in upstairs Cttee room)

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net







.