/ Parish Council / Minutes / 1st June 2020



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held on Monday 1st June 2020

Held using Zoom at 7pm.

Present; PCllrs S Hutchings (Chair) (from item 20/72), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, N Davidson, Y Guest, A Gunstone (from item 20/73), J Pengelley and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill. No members of the Public attended.


20/67. Chairman’s Welcome. SG welcomed all and Chaired the meeting.


20/68. Apologies. PCllr L Gates who had submitted her resignation in writing. SWTCllrs D and K Durdan.


20/69. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. ND re Canal Carpark item 20/82, SH re caretaker, PB re VHall, SG re North End. None voted on these items.


20/70. Vacancy on the PC. With PCllr Gates resignation there is now a vacancy on the PC. Anyone interested is invited to make their interest known to the Clerk.


20/71. SWTC Councillors’ Report. No report.


20/72. County Councillors’ Report. DF reported that there were 695 people in Somerset who had tested positive for the covid-19 virus and 145 deaths. SCC had now fully reopened the recycling centres. Schools had remained open for the children of key workers and from today had opened for Reception, Yr 1 and Yr 6 pupils. Secondary schools Yr 10 and Yr 12 will open in two weeks’ time. SCC will be responsible for the ‘Track and Trace’ Operation that will commence shortly and that this will require SCC to initiate any local lockdowns if required. SCC had £49.9m in additional spending and had received £25.6 from the Govt and £4.4 from the CCG leaving a present shortfall of £19.9m. The “R” rate at .76 is stable at present though there are concerns when holiday establishments reopen and the number of visitors escalates.900 SCC are staff currently redeployed to different tasks and there is a backlog of 2200 births to Register.


20/73. Minutes (1) Record log of the decisions taken since the PC meeting held on 9th March 2020 has been kept. (This had been previously circulated to PCllrs). The record log was agreed without amendment. This was authorised to be signed off and dated by the PC Chair as an accurate record of the decisions taken. It was agreed to ask the Clerk to add to the record log the numbers of votes for/against/abstentions for each decision.

The decisions include (1.1) accepting the annual governance statement and (1.2) the accounting statement.

(2) Recording future proposals. It was decided that the identity of PCllrs proposing and seconding motions be recorded in future minutes commencing from the next meeting.


20/74. Matters arising from the record log of decisions taken by the PC during the Corona Virus Lockdown 9.3.20-31.5.20. PB reported that the MH2 Panel has taken forward the decision to appoint Highways Consultants and had appointed RGP following a competitive process. It was agreed that there were no further matters arising.


20/75. Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities. Following the decision to postpone this year’s Annual Council Mtg it was agreed to rollover enbloc appointments for the forthcoming year. PB explained that the joint panel with WM PC was not working as proposed and will need to change. He suggested that the same PCllrs continue to take the lead with matters arising from the MH developments but would represent just CSM PC in future. This was agreed.


20/76.Planning. (1) Planning Applications withdrawn. It was noted this application had been withdrawn;

Date

Ref

Application

13.5.2020

14/20/0010


39 Arundells Way, CSM St Michael: Erection of a two-storey extension to rear.

(2) West Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. The minutes of MH2 Joint Panel mtgs held on the 18th Feb, 12th March,16th March and 30th April as well as draft minutes of the mtg held on 13th May 2020 had been previously circulated. PB explained that a useful tour of the development sites to demonstrate the issues followed by meeting in March with the Leader and Portfolio holder of SWTC. Whilst the CSM/WM PC Joint Panel had provided a joint response to Persimmon/Redrow’s consultation the accompanying letter to the SWTC Exec on 20th May raising concerns had highlighted the difficulties of continuing as a joint panel. As a result, the Clerk and he had spoken with WM PCllrs in order to agree a way forward. It was agreed that whilst there are benefits to working together when there are common interests a joint approach would not work. PB advised as a result we will diarise regular liaising meeting with SWTC Planner Andrew Penna. PB then advised Arts Taunton had proposed a review of the SWTC master plan by consultants with the cost to be shared equally by AT, WM PC and CSM PC. After speaking to Arts Taunton and their proposed consultants the panel had decided there was not enough benefit to be worth recommending spending the sum involved.

Action. Clerk to schedule regular CSM panel meeting with SWTC AP for 15th June.

(3) Land South of Manor Farm Dev, Langaller SWTC are currently consulting on their master plan and design guide; https://www.thrivearchitects.co.uk/south-of-manor-farm-consultation/ with a closing date of 5th June.

It was agreed the MHUE2 panel would submit a response on behalf of the PC. The rear entrance from the employment site onto Hyde Lane cutting across the newly provide safe route to school and bringing more traffic into the village was discussed. BB highlighted that personal points can also be submitted and encouraged PCllrs to do so.

Action. MHUE2 Panel to respond to SWTC consultation before 5th June.



20/77. Finance. (1) The draft minutes of the Finance Sub Cttee held on 6th April had been previously circulated and contents agreed. These had included the year end accounts for 19/20, (1.1) accepting the annual governance statement and (1.2) the accounting statement.

(2) Bills authorised for payment; SWTC £100 Election Expenses 2019) £100, CYP (Youth Workers furlough top up for May £65.96 and S Greenhalgh (Reimb Exps for North End) £11.40 were agreed.

  1. Payments made since last meeting; The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund

Payments for April and May, Clerks Expenses (April £68.55, May £ 85.75) , EDF (Pavilion Monthly Electricity DD) £30.00, EDF (Rec Park Garage Monthly Electricity DD) April £10.00 and May £15, CSM Village Hall (Use of Hall March 2020) £117.00, (PIP Refunds to 4 Vendors) £100 each, Lloyds Monthly Bank Charges £6.50, Unity Trust Bank charges £9.69, Rinkit (Tables for PIP) £689.30.

  1. Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; SWTC (Precept) £28,086.00, Lloyds (Bank

charges Refund) £6.50, West Monkton PC (Half contribution to Minibus hire) £31.00, SWTC (C.I.L Monies) £1,332.05, HSBC (Closed Acc Bal) £2,883.07, Unity Trust Bank (Closed Acc Bal) £822.83, HMRC Furlough Payment £364.42 and Somerset Lottery Proceeds £10.00 and 8.00, HMRC Vat Reclaim (1.1 -31.4.20) £1,859.17.

  1. Electricity Supply. The Supply contract for the former Engine Shed is due for renewal on 30 6 20. The Clerk

had obtained quotations and had previously circulated these. It was decided to renew the contract with EDF Energy at a reduced tariff of S/C 25p per day and unit charge 16.6p both subject to 7% disc for Monthly direct debit payment for a year; enabling a usage assessment following the MUGA lights installation to be undertaken.


20/78. Rec Park. (1) Update. The Rec Park remain locked under Govt instruction during the Corona Pandemic.

YG is liaising with footballers of their emerging plans. It was agreed teams can play in principle if the Govt requirement on the pandemic permit that and the park can be opened. (2) Improvement Projects. SG advised the contractors would be completing the fencing 6th July and that Nigel Cridge had been appointed to the General Worker position. CC advised the electrician will on site in two weeks’ time and that Sutcliffe’s are to meet him on site on Thursday 4th to examine remaining equipment work.

Action. Clerk to arrange an additional meeting if Govts advice on Play Equipment’s or Park changes. YG to report back on football and CC on snagging progress.


20/79. Highways. (1). Maintenance issues. None were raised. (2) Hyde Lane. SCC Highways plans for Hyde Lane were considered. The Plans for Hollingsworth estate speed calming had been circulated prior to the meeting and these were agreed. The requested controlled crossing outside the School could not be provided having been ruled out on safety grounds. Two flat topped speed tables were now on offer (one outside the school and the other by West View/Arundels junction. These would be appropriately lined. A 20mph speed warning signs would be installed for use at the beginning and end of the school day. It was agreed to accept the scheme. A discussion then took place on whether double yellow lines could be put on the road outside the preschool.

PB suggested it would be sensible if the public are consulted on both projects simultaneously and perhaps the PC could assist by letter dropping the neighbours.

Action. DF to speak to Highways to see if two projects consultation could be joined up and to see if the PC offer of help would be of assistance. The Clerk to recirculate any past plans on the scheme to PCllrs.


20/80. Footpaths. The report of the Parish Footpath volunteers had been previously circulated. The Clerk advised he had learnt of a second tunnel under the M5 on land at Creech Heathfield owned by Mr D Langford.

This provided for the stream from West Monkton to pass under the motorway but also for cattle to pass alongside.


At this point DF internet connection was disconnected and he left the meeting.


20/81. Youth Club. SG advised that whilst it had been agreed to pay the Youth Club Leaders who are currently furloughed the 20% excess of furlough of their salary that this should cease from end of June. This was discussed. JP requested a copy of the contract in order that she could ensure any liabilities were being met.

CC highlighted that the furlough scheme was changing from 1st July and there would be a requirement for a bigger contribution to incl NI and Pension costs (if liable). PB highlighted the difficulties of recruiting youth club leaders and that it is a struggle to replace them. It was agreed that the Clerk would liaise with JP and providers CYP (on the sources of finance available to them) and bring back to the PC at the July meeting for a decision.


20/82. Canal Car Park. JP asked the item be carried forward to July mtg. CC advised that the car that had been dumped in the carpark had now been removed. The need for gating, signing, overnight closure and use of a security firm were acknowledged once acquired.


20/83. Website and standard email addresses for PC Emails.

Following LG’s resignation, the Clerk sought direction on how to proceed with the new website. He had been sent 4 emails from LG giving details of progress with the new site and provision of emails and a recommendation to commission a commercial company to provide. It was agreed that AG would examine these and report on them. The Clerk to also make enquires of other PCs to see what they were doing re their website.

Action. The Clerks to pass AG detail of new websites and to research other PC website details. AG to examine progress and to report to a future PC meeting.









20/84. Village Hall. (1) Carey Grove Park. PB reported that SWTC were happy to pass on to Village Hall Trustees and the covenant can be removed on the instruction of the VHall Trustees. The Trustees had asked if the PC would give a grant to cover the £750 cost of legal work involved. This was considered and it was agreed that the PC would offer to advance the sum - to be repaid by free usage of the Village Hall to the value of £750.

Action. The Clerk to inform the Village Hall committee of the PC decision.


20/85. Correspondence. (1) CC referred to the retrospective Planning application to base cranes in Mill Lane advised of the Traffic Commissioners decision earlier this year. (2) The Clerk referred to the request from the

Finger Post Volunteers to consider paying for repairs to two of the signs. It was agreed to proceed with repairing the sign at Bull St and to put on hold the sign at Langaller as development was likely to take place in that area and opportunities and the need for relocation may emerge.

Action. The Clerk to inform the volunteers of the PC decisions.


20/86. Items for the next meeting. Youth Club, Canal Carpark, Website.



The meeting ended at 9.25pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net


Future Meetings;

The next CSM PC mtgs are on 6th July and 7th September 2020 at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall if permitted or virtually using Zoom if not.

A Planning mtg will be held on 3rd August if applications are received.

24th April Annual Parish meeting. Main Village Hall 7pm for 7.30pm.