/ Parish Council / Minutes / 1st October 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 1st October 2018

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), PCllrs S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair) A Birch, C Cudlip, G Lucas and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). Co-Opted (Planning) Cllr B Brighton. TDBCllr D Durdan. The Clerk. 5 Members of the Public attended.


18/168. Chairs Welcome. SH welcomed all.


18/169. Apologies. PCllrs P Brown, D Finch, S Harris and D Knight. Reasons given accepted.


18/170. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members.CC regarding item 18/173 (18/110(2)).


18/171. District Councillors’ Report. DD reported the difficulties experienced the previous thursday when two articulated lorries approaching the Ham Sewerage Treatment Works (neither using the new access track) met; with the result that the road was blocked for 3 and 1/2 hours.

Action. The Clerk to ask WW to remind all its suppliers of the requirement to use the access track and to request installation of signing to the effect that WW site traffic should not use local roads.


18/172. Minutes of the 3rd September Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment .These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/173. Matters arising from the minutes of the 3rd September Mtg. The Clerk reported;


18/126. (6) Waste Bin to be sited in Bull St. The DLO had quoted to purchase and site a waste bin with lid but had also advised a weekly emptying charge. As to date waste bins have been emptied free the Clerk advised he has queried this and was awaiting a reply. DD confirmed this and advised he was not aware of any policy change.

Action. The Clerk to ask Environment Agency for permission to site a bin and to get prices for a suitable bin; to be installed by Cllrs at lower cost.


18/110 (2) Ryesland Way slope to Canal. The Canal and River trust had been asked for permission to proceed and whether the Trust could contribute financially. Replies are awaited from the Trust and the contractor updated.


18/2. Allotments. The owner had further responded offering a two year deal which the society are to consider at their meeting on thursday.

Action. If acceptable the Clerk to prepare the documentation between the Landowner and the PC and the Society and the PC and to ensure payments are made.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.


18/103 . Bus Shelters. The Chairman had informally consulted wider bus users on the proposal from SCC Highways to replace both stops at Creech Heathfield with a single stop on the grass verge immediately north of the entrance into Heathfield Close, about halfway between the Charlton Lane and Crown Lane stops in order to facilitate a bus shelter installation (subject to a successful grant application).

Action. The Clerk to bid for a grant to part fund a shelter later this financial year.


18/131 Bench at the junction of Hyde Lane and Arundells Way. SCC Highways permission had been granted and the bench has been delivered to the Chairman for installation.

Action. CC/SH to install on a concrete base.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. Fred A’Court, the Parish Footpaths Volunteer, Peter Hobley SCC and the Clerk had met on site to examine the tunnel on the 5th June. Unfortunately natural planting and fencing had prevented access but it appeared evident, with some access work that the underpass was capable of being used by walkers. As a result SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. As no reply has been SCC have been asked twice to follow up with HE and a reply is awaited.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received he had written to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward.


18/136. Somerset West and Taunton Council (New Council to replace WSDC and TDBC). The Clerk had written to the Loc Govt Boundary Commission stating the PC wishes to see a 2 Cllr Ward for CSM & Durston named CSM and it is noted that their publishing proposals (post consultation) is due later in Oct.


18/138. Mill Lane Lights. As Ruishton PC residents had complained about lights shining in housing from a premises in Mill Lane SH and the Clerk had toured looking for the potential lights. A set had been identified and the Chair is to visit one evening to see if these lights are causing the problem. Action. Chair to examine.







18/174. Minutes of the 13th September Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment .These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/175. Matters arising from the minutes of the 13th September Mtg.


18/176. Planning. (1) Applications. The following were considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

24/8/18

14/18/0024


Vicarage Lane, CSM. Outline Application with all matters reserved except for access for the change of use of agricultural land, for the erection of a café, associated outdoor seating area, access and parking on land south of canal side carpark.

To support with caveats; to restrict use to café only, to install road calming and warning signing, dog and waste bins, cycle hoops, information board, security actions and for the site not to be screened.

5/9/18

14/18/0021

Roosendall, Bull St, CSM Erection of a single storey extension to the rear.

To support.

21/9/18

14/18/0025

Planning Application Greenacres, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield. Alterations to Dutch barn, to include lowering of roof, completion of walls and installation of two roller shutters and one side door.

To support.

17/9/18

14/18/0028

Planning Application Barnoaks, Worthy Lane, CSM. Erection of 1 No single storey dwelling on land north.

To Object as contrary to Planning Policies DM2 (to avoid development in the countryside) and SB1 (to ensure sustainable development).


(2) Application (14/17/0033 PINS App/D3315/W/18/3205705PINs) Appeal by Gladman’s Developments against refusal to build 200 Nos dwellings off Langaller Lane, CSM. To note that the date for Appeal has been set for January 15th and it is intended to be last 6 days over a two week period at the Albemarle Centre, Albemarle Road, Taunton TA1 1BA. The Clerk advised he had requested on hearing the date that the appeal be held in CSM but TDBC Planners had refused in order that their officers are close to their systems. BB questioned this given ability of new technology and had written asking for the decision to be reconsidered and highlighted that 30 additional pieces of correspondence had been posted. CC suggested coaches were booked. AB highlighted how difficult the appeal will be given the applicant. SG stated the PC should do its utmost to ensure that the appeal is unsuccessful. The Clerk advised that having spoken to the Headteacher he had written to the Planning Appeal Inspector highlighting the difficulties the School was already having to manage with large class sizes and mixed age year groups (with appeals outstanding).

Action. Clerk to put on the Dec agenda to review and agree actions to be taken.

(3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. To note that the draft plan is still with the Independent Examiner and her advices

have yet to be received. A request for a plan of the Green Wedge (Land adj to M5=Rec Park to Creech Heathfield) had been received following her visit to the Parish. Simultaneously a European Case had thrown up the question whether the HRA undertaken was appropriate or whether further work is required; as a result TDBC had asked SCC’s Ecologist to review and their report had been submitted to Natural England for decision.

(4) Ruishton and Thornfalcon Parish Council Neighbourhood Plan. It was noted that the Vision and Objectives meeting planned to be held on Thurs 20th Sept was cancelled and is to be rearranged.


18/177. Finance.

(1) Cheques drawn since last meeting as approved at the July meeting. EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 12.8.18-13.9.18) £8.72, British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 8.8.18–7.9.18) £37.52, Glasdon (Seat for Hyde Lane PIP)£520.63

(2) Payments approved the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC for both Oct, SCC Pension Fund payments for November, the Clerks Expenses for September £121.97, C Sampson (Childcare Reimbursement Sept)£25.00 and Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 3.9.18-30.9.18) £216.00.

(3) Payments authorised to make as accounts are received approved. EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 13.9.18-13.10.18) and British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 7.9.18–9.10.18).

(4) Invoices not paid; Opus £Nil (Pavilion Gas supply 12.8.18- 11.9.18 as £19.50 in credit).

(5) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; South West Lottery (July sales)£5.00, Ruishton FC

( Pitch fees) £24.00, SCC Grant (Youth Club second payment) £1,500.00, A Birch (PIP Proceeds) £98.07.

(6) Risk Assessment of Assets. The Clerk had reissued the Asset list and reminded PCllrs that the agreed approach to the Annual Risk Assessment of Assets was underway. The schedule circulated contained details of who is to check what. Once checked reports are to be sent to the Clerk in order that the overall findings can be reported to a future PC meeting.

Action. PCllrs to examine and risk assess indentified items.

(7) Grant request. A request for a £60 grant for replacement signs from the Ham Road Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator was considered.

Action. The Clerk to ask Wessex Water to fund or to bid to the Police for the cost of new signs, in the first instance.

(8) Security at the Rec Park. The Clerk advised that the contracted security company had after a number of years increased their charges to reflect increasing travel and wage costs.

Action. The Clerk to get alternative quotes to ensure best value remains being obtained.

(9) Banking. The Clerk was asked to action additional (increase the pool of) signatories on the bank account and to move to standing orders payment for utilities (once the existing query on BG Account has been resolved).


18/178. Party in the Park 6th July 2019 (SG,CS,DK,YG,AB) Nothing to report.



18/179. Rec Park. (1) Update. An attempted occupation by travellers had been foiled by quick reporting by Neighbours and reaction by the security firm. Discussed and agreed that there was no need for both car parks to be open during the winter on week days so only the large one is to be opened. Difficulty had been reported with using the roundabout. CC had repaired toilet door handle that had been damaged. It was identified that the former engine shed required a new lock; preferably one with an anti-vandal handle.

Action. CS to examine the roundabout and arrange for its repair and to establish whether it’s still under warranty.

SH to organise additional keys for the referee room.

(2) Improvements. CS advised that she had posted online proposals for additional play equipment. The School had agreed to arrange for the children to examine the plans and to feedback. Two quotes had been requested for an additional MUGA and a third will be sought. Two quotes had been received for additional play equipment.

A discussion took place about the surfacing for the trim trail, tarmac was considered too expensive and grass too muddy and slippery. It was decided to get quotes for crushed stone/stone dust surface.

Actions. CC to review the buildings and to give cost effective options for refurbishments (C/F).


(3) Annual Safety Inspection Report. A meeting to consider the report’s findings is to be held next week.


18/180. Highways. (1) Defects. None reported. (2) Road Safety Improvements. It was noted another accident had occurred today following the accident at North End that had occurred on Saturday morning. GL asked if DF can be requested to advise of a "start date" for the various (Safe route to School footpath SCC part/calming in Hollingsworth Est/Crossing and Assoc works) works in Hyde Lane would be commencing. Also raised was widespread concern over school children coming off the safe route to school footpath where it emerges onto Hyde Lane. Traffic count figures for Langaller Road showing increasing volumes have been received and circulated by the Clerk. He highlighted these did not include traffic form C Heathfield so he had requested this. Responses from SCC following the Leaders walk through the village are awaited despite reminders; the Clerk was asked to follow this up. TDBC has suggested that the PC should use its share of CIL so a response had been sent seeking a contribution from those who were making decisions leading to the increase of traffic in CSM i.e Developers, SCC and TDBC.

Action. The Clerk to report accidents reported to him onto SCC Highways and to encourage reporting by villagers.

The Clerk to ask DF for a start date for the Hyde Lane works and to request that signs or bollards be put in place in Hyde Lane. Also to seek replies from Principal Councils Leaders on improving road safety.

(3) Gritting. The Clerk advised that one of SCC “in year” budget cuts was to reduce gritting. As a result no gritting would be done (currently St Michaels Road from Ruishton to North End) in future. He asked if further grit bins would be required. It was decided no as there are grit bins at North End, Dillons Road and Mill Lane which can be used.


18/181. Footpaths. (1) A Nil report had been received this month from the Parish Footpath Volunteers.


18/182. Youth Club. CYP had advised that whilst 2 volunteers had come forward no applications for the paid leader posts had been received. As a result the deadline for interviews has been extended. Another of the SCC “in year” budget cuts is to cease making grants to Youth Clubs; as a result CYP had proposed that they do a lottery bid for the 9 Councils that they run clubs for to cover 19/20 year. It was agreed that CYP include CSM and request £3,500.00.

A discussion took place on the accommodation for the youth club. The pavilion had been cleared but items moved to the former engine shed where not now accessible. It was felt a ships container was needed for the equipment. A meeting between the panel and CYP is to be held shortly.


18/183. 2019 Meeting Dates. The dates for PC meetings in 2019 were agreed as Jan 7th, Feb 4th, March 4th,

April 1st, May 13th (Annual Council Meeting), June 3rd, July 8th, August 5th (Planning), Sept 2nd, Oct 7th, Nov 4th,

Dec 2nd and the Annual Parish Meeting: April 26th Friday (Main Hall).


18/184. Correspondence. (1) Fingerpost Signs. The Clerk advised that a volunteer had come forward seeking to help maintain the Parish’s fingerposts. This was welcomed.

Action. The Clerk to contact SCC to learn how to take this offer forward and to seek details of where the posts are.

(2). PC minutes. A Parishioner had advised that he had the PC minutes for period July 1983 to May 1991. It was agreed that these be placed in the County Archivists Records Office forthwith.

(3).West View Park. GL advised that a neighbour had reported vegetation overgrowing their garden fence.

Action. The Clerk to ask TDBC to cut vegetation back.


18/185. New Matters to be carried forward. None.


The meeting was closed at 8.45pm.


Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 5th November and 3rd December at 7pm.

These meetings are to be held in Ground floor Village Hall Cttee Room.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net