/ Parish Council / Minutes / 3rd December 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 3rd December 2018

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), PCllrs S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), P Brown, C Cudlip, D Finch, Y Guest and G Lucas (Parish Councillors). Co-Opted (Planning) Cllr B Brighton. SCCllr D Fothergill, TDBCllr D Durdan. The Clerk. 8 Members of the Public attended.


18/205. Chairs Welcome. SG Chaired this meeting and welcomed all.


18/206. Apologies. PCllrs A Birch, D Knight and C Sampson. Reasons given accepted. The Clerk reported that PCllr S Harris had resigned and therefore there was a vacancy.


18/207. Vacancy. The Clerk advised that given that the vacancy is within 6 months of the next 4 yearly election which will take place on 2nd May the PC is able to either retain the vacancy until May or Co Opt at its next meeting. A decision was taken to Co Opt at its 7th Jan meeting. Interested individuals should inform the Clerk ahead of the meeting.

Action . The Clerk to post notices stating the PC’s intention is to Co Opt at its 7th Jan meeting.


18/208. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. CC regarding item 18/213 (18/110(2)) and SH regarding item 18/209. (2) SH had submitted a dispensation request to enable all Councillors to take part in the discussions on the precept. Action. The PC granted the dispensation to enable all Councillors to participate in the precept determination discussions at this meeting and at the next meeting on 7th January.


18/209. Allotments. Members of the Allotment Society attended to advise that the Site Owner having previously having entered into a 5 year arrangement now appeared to be reluctant to enter into a new 5 year arrangement. Despite attempts to agree a longer period a short term deal had been agreed to. As Society members prefer a longer term contract. Particularly as despite s106 monies being available the Society do not feel it can invest this money with a short term lease. The Clerk advised that he had been able to arrange a meeting between the Society and the Landowner to which he would also attend for Weds 5th December in an attempt to reach an agreement. Society members stated their preference was for the PC to buy the land if possible or a ten year lease with reasonable increments. A further option to consider alternative sites and that any decision by the PC to buy would involve using the S106 monies were also put to the Society.

Action. The outcome of the meeting 5th December to be put to the PC for decision at its next meeting.


18/210. District Councillors’ Report.

(1) DD advised he had spoken to the TDBC Officer (KM) concerning the decision by TDBC not to spend its CIL monies in addressing Road Safety Issues in CSM. He had been advised that future phases may provide some funding if supported by Highways. The Clerk responded by highlighting that the first phase of building at Monkton Heathfield and the building of the eastern relief road had adversely affected CSM and the funding generated for years should have been used to address that rather than be used elsewhere. Additionally TDBC were supporting a Housing Infrastructure Fund bid for Govt funding to downgrade the existing A38 road from the Cricket Ground to Walford Cross over addressing the safety issues in the Village. PB highlighted that the 4 years TDBC Infrastructure Plan which had provided for improvements in CSM had also been quietly dropped and had acknowledged that there would be a problem. DD explained that nothing would now happen in advance of the new Council being in place and that Officers had stated that the PC should contribute its CIL to initiate joint funding of a scheme to address the road safety issues.

Action. The Clerk to organise a meeting with the new TDBC MHUE Project Manager in order to obtain an update on the master planning for the site.


(2) DD reported on staff changes and relocations of Officers as the two District Councils moved towards their merger and highlighted that there can be problems ascertaining who is responsible for specific activities and tracing officers.

GL enquired why there had been a £3m overspend on the merger and DD advised more staff were seeking and being made redundant than were envisaged.


(3) DD suggested that the Hedges and Fences in West View Park are the responsibility of local house holders rather than TDBC. The Clerk advised that he understood that the complaint was about overgrowth going over the fence into the house and advised that Officers had promised a site visit this week.


(4) DD advised that he had visited the ditch at the rear of 3 Cook Close and saw that it is now clear and that it is when the water hits the bridge that causing it to gush upwards. The Clerk advised that the ditch to the rear of West View was on the TDBC maintenance programme and SG advised that TDBC had cleared the ditch this week as requested.


(5) DD raised the overgrowth outside by the undertakers at North End. The Clerk thanked DD for bringing this to his attention and that he would request TDBC Officers to attend to it.

Action. Clerk to advise TDBC and to enquire of the funeral parlour if it is interested in maintaining the area.


18/211. County Councillors’ Report. DF reported;

(1) DF reported that the “safe route to school” footpath along Hyde Lane was close to completion. This was welcomed. The small final section would be finalised by Linden Homes in the new year. GL asked when the School crossing will be installed and DF confirmed he would advise the date of the onsite meeting planned.

Action. The Clerk to inform PCllrs of onsite meeting details once advised by DF.


(2) Important Fire Safety Information: The fire service's ongoing prevention and protection strategy provides for residents to have Home Fire Safety Checks. Ring 0800 05 02 999. Equipment can be provided for vulnerable people.

(3) Single Use Plastics: A strategy designed to reduce the use of "single use plastic" by SCC was approved on 28th November. This is a step in the right direction and a positive move by SCC although implementing this strategy will be challenging as usage can be as varied as plastic teaspoons in schools to silage wrapping on County Farms.


(4) Library Service Re-design: Following the conclusion of the Libraries Consultation, 15 communities were invited to submit expressions of interest with a view to running their own library. Positive responses were received from 13. Discussions will now take place to start developing these as sustainable community partnerships which will receive funding for up to seven years. Prioirswood will open for more hours and will be run by the friends of Taunton Library.


(5) Fit for my Future: Public drop-ins have been held over the past few weeks which looked at options for NHS service delivery across the County. If anyone has further comments to make email Somccg.fitformyfuture@nhs.net


(6) Keeping well this winter: It is not too late to have a Flu jab. Individuals can still contact their local GP surgery or see their nearest pharmacist for details. Residents are also be asked to keep an eye on neighbours.


(7) Winter Gritting: A decision has recently been taken to re-instate the filling of Grit bins for the current winter. This will allow Parish Councils to include in their budgets for next year(s). PB asked how did SCC arrive at which roads to be dropped. DF advised that he has asked for details of the criteria used in deciding which roads (including St Michaels Road) would no longer be gritted and DF agreed to provide this. It was noted that an accident had occurred due to ice at the junction with Mill Lane that week. A decision was taken to request (and if approved to buy) an additional grit bin to be sited alongside the red telephone box. The Clerk asked for confirmation of the bins to be topped up. It was noted two needed digging out.

Action. Clerk to organise an extra grit bin, to request top ups of 7 (and digging out of 2) and to inform DF of accident.


(8) Self-harming: The Director of Public Health, has used her annual report to highlight rising levels of self-harm in Somerset. Hospital admissions for self- harming show increasing numbers, particularly for girls and young women aged
10-24, with a peak around the age of 15. Lots of useful information, for children, parent
s and carers is on the Somerset Children & Young People Health & Wellbeing website https://www.cypsomersethealth.org/sh or www.kooth.com


(9) Road safety figures: Whilst every death on the road is a personal tragedy the number of those killed on Somerset's roads fell by 12 per cent in 2017, the lowest level in five years and bucking the regional trend. Department for Transport (Off) figures recorded 22 deaths on the county's roads whereas nationally there was no change, and in the South West region a 15 per cent increase over the same period. The 2017 Road Casualty Review analyses collision and casualty statistics, comparing them to the previous five-year period and focusing on defined target groups - such as road user types and different age groups. The full report can be downloaded from http://www.somersetroadsafety.org


(10) County-wide parking review: Over many years parking controls and restrictions have been expanded in many areas but there has been no overall review of the suitability of the existing restrictions and whether or not they are still appropriate. SCC receive over 100 additional parking restriction enquiries each month! In order to address these concerns, there will be a comprehensive review over years of towns on-street parking controls, looking at each community on a case-by-case basis.


18/212. Minutes of the 5th November. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment .These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/213. Matters arising from the minutes of the 5th November. The Clerk reported;


18/189 Wessex Water. That he had informed the Schools of the offer of visits and had informed the resident that WW had paid for replacement Neighbourhood Watch signs for Ham Road.


18/190 Canal Bridge. That he asked the River and Canal Trust to cut back the foliage on their bridge.


18/193 Defibulator’s. That free training had been organised and provided on Sat 17th Nov.


18/126. (6) Waste Bin to be sited in Bull St. An acknowledgement had been received from the Env Agency to the request to site a bin adjacent to the seat in Bull St. The EA is to visit the site before considering.


18/110 (2) Ryesland Way slope to Canal. The contractor is to undertake agreed works in the new year.


18/2. Allotments. See 18/209 above.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.


18/103 . Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked if grant programme is now available and is awaiting a reply.


18/131 Bench at the junction of Hyde Lane and Arundells Way.

Action. CC/SH to install on a concrete base.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. As no reply has been SCC have been asked three times to follow up with HE and a reply is still awaited.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received he had written to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. A reply is still awaited.


18/184 (3).West View Park. He had raised with TDBC again the need to cut back the overgrowth. TDBC had agreed to undertake a site inspection this week.


18/184 (3)TDBC had confirmed when asked that they will clear the ditch to the rear of the bungalows in West View/Cooks Close in order to prevent its flooding. This had been done last week


18/195 (8) reminded the PC that at the annual Risk Assessment of Asset’s it had been identified that the Adsborough Bus Shelter was felt to be in need of some scalpings to improve access; a bench in the rec park which is in need of attention and the IPE roundabout that has a fault are in the process of being attended to.


18/195 (10) Rec Park Security Contract. Confirmed he had renewed the new contract with 3d Security as requested.

18/198 (3) Road Closure. That the planned closure of Lipe Lane by the Aquaduct on 11th December is expected to now only be for one evening between 7-12 midnight so suggested that there was no impact on Bus operations.


18/184 (1) Fingerpost Signs. See item 18/219 below.


16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. WW have been and jetted the drains in this area. A further complaint had been received this time on the condition of the footpath.

Action. CS had offered to examine the site.


18/214. Planning

(1) Application (14/17/0033 PINS App/D3315/W/18/3205705PINs) Appeal by Gladman’s Developments

against refusal to build 200 Nos dwellings off Langaller Lane, CSM. [See minute 18/176 (2)] The Appeal

hearing is set to commence on January 15th . The Clerk advised he had asked TDBC and the Planning Inspector for an

update on the preparation’s. The Inspector had advised that whilst the deadline set for the statement of common ground was set for the 20th November, the Planning Inspectorate has yet to see an agreed statement. He had chased the parties to ascertain what the likelihood of one being agreed in the near future, but had yet to have a response. As they do not always get an agreed position on the statement of common ground as soon as they would like this is not an unusual occurrence. The next stage is that we will receive proofs of evidence on 18th December.


TDBC Solicitors had sent a reply in the form of a copy of a letter sent to the Planning Inspector highlighting that they had received 250 pages from Gladman’s on Travel related matters beyond the deadline and despite that some information had yet to be provided and therefore they were requesting a postponement so that SCC Highways had enough time to examine this properly. It was noted that responses to the other reasons for refusal were not mentioned. PB noted that Gladman’s were not contesting TDBC Land Supply. BB suggested that agreed deadline should be achieved and that failure to comply should mean the appeal not be allowed. It was noted time to advise Parishioners of the Appeal arrangements had been diminished. It was agreed to hold an emergency meeting should the appeal proceed as planned on the 15th Jan.

Action The Clerk to write to the Inspector asking that the appeal not be allowed in preference to postponement.


The PC also noted Gladman’s had withdrawn on 6.11.18 its Appeal against refusal for planning application 49/18/0001 for 95 dwellings at North St, Wiveliscombe.


(2) Decisions Taken. The following planning application were considered and observations agreed;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

14/11/2018

14/18/0030

Towerlea AND Orchard View, Creech Heathfield - erection of timber double garage.

Not to support. The garage will result in loss of open space and as such would cause significant harm to the street scene and the surrounding area, contrary to TD Core Strategy DM1.d These would be sited in front of the buildings principal elevations and it would create a precedent. In addition, in the interest of highway safety, positioning a solid structure would compromise and restrict the visibility/sight lines for vehicles exiting the two properties onto the 40 mph highway which has existing known parking issues which are a concern. Parking is likely to increase and danger increased.

13/11/2018

SCC/3532/

2018

Taunton Water Recycling Centre, Ham Road, CSM. Inst 3 No. sludge cake storage barns (60.04m x 29.76m x 13.07m high) and inst of small section of access rd to adjoin existing rd within the WRC.

To Support with caveats suggested to SCC;

1. ALL traffic to use the private access track and prohibited from using Ham Road.

2. Temp and Permanent signage to be installed to state "Do not use Ham Rd" at appropriate places.

3. Permanent signing "to use" A358 to be installed.

4. Drainage- WW to minimise the drainage impact.

5. Operating times - limiting evening, morning start times and at weekends.

6. Noise – Some limiting (linked with 5).

7. Lighting.  No external yard bright lighting or similar.

8. Vegetation. More screening of site requested.


(3) Planning Decisions Taken. It was noted that after requesting CSM PC to consider applications on occasions TDBC Planners then had negotiated changes with applicants. As the changes agreed were not communicated back to CSM PC it was agreed that the Clerk write to TDBC Planners requesting that they do so in future.




Date

Ref

Application

Outcome Changes agreed

09/10/2018

14/18/0032

Fairview, Worthy Lane, CSM. Erection of conservatory at rear. Note amended plans were submitted on the 19th November without further notification.

  • A matching dwarf walled porch 2000 x1500 added. 

  • West elevation - glass either side/over top of door.

  • North elevation - dwarf wall and glass

  • Sloping roof (no details)

05/09/2018


14/18/0021

Roosendall, Bull Street, CSM; erection of a single storey extension to the rear.

  • Ensuite to bedroom 4 has been removed

  • Original Ensuite to bedroom 4 is now a WC

  • 2 skylights in bedroom 4 not 1

  • WC in Utility (now laundry room) has gone

  • Hallway window adj to front door has gone

  • Rooflines have been changed

28/11/2017

14/17/0041


30, West View, Creech St Michael. Replacement of extension to the side.

Scheme amended to keep the extension flush with the principal elevation and extending back into the rear garden.

(4) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. It was noted that the draft plan is still with the Independent Examiner and her

advices have yet to be received, delayed in part by the EU court decision in the cases of ‘People Over Wind, Peter

Sweetman v Coillte Teoranta’ which the UK Govt is currently assessing and which WYG are in consultation with TDBC

on. The Govt is expected to table new legislation before the end of December.


CC explained that in the meantime the CSM NH Panel had drafted a Community Action Plan (which sits alongside a

Neighbourhood Plan and focuses on non land allocation issues) for consideration and adoption. This was considered

by the PC and its adoption agreed. It was also decided that the NH Plan Panel be tasked with leading the delivery

(and monitoring) of the plan delivery on behalf of the PC and that, in principle, future CIL receipts be allocated in

accordance with the plans priorities as stated, that decisions on CIL would remain with the CSM PC in case

circumstances should change. It is expected that the panels membership will be enhanced and the ability to seek

funding for projects identified was agreed.


18/215. Road Safety. CC explained that the Community Actions Plans priority is Road Safety. How to address the increasing traffic volumes, physical features of the Village and lack of regard for safety by some drivers was discussed

at some length. It was reconised given the responses to date and the amount of data around that there was a need to codify the issues in a single document to help argue the case to Principal Authorities. It was agreed to finance a feasibility report showing potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes through CSM. The Clerk advised that he had also requested a radar box for St Michaels Road in order to ascertain vehicle nos and speeds by hour. As SCC had proposed a charge he had questioned it, asked for it to be waived and was now awaiting a reply.

Action. The Clerk to seek quotations for consideration at the January meeting.


18/216. Finance.

(1) Cheques drawn since last meeting as approved at the November meeting; EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity

13.10.18-25.11.18) £4.73 and British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 7.10.18–7.11.18) £45.82.

(2) Payments approved the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks £174.25 and Caretakers £73.47 November Expense’s and other invoices received; Somerset Playing Fields Assoc (Membership Fee 18/19 £15.00, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 29.10.18-25.11.18) £302.40.

(3) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Tone Youth (Oct Pitch Fees) £40.00, Ruishton FC

(Sept pitch fees £80.00), South West Lottery (October sales) £5.00 and Wessex Water (Ham Rd Neighbourhood

Watch Signs Grant)£60.00.

(4) Payments authorised to be made as accounts are received. EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity

13.11.18-25.12.18) and British Gas Pavilion (Electricity Supply 7.11.18–7.12.18).

(5) Invoices not paid; Opus (Pavilion Gas supply 12.11.18- 11.12.18 as usage £Nil and Acc £19.50 in credit).

(6) Budget/Precept 2019/2020. To discuss draft budget/precept (papers separately circulated). The Clerk circulated a draft budget and precept for the 2019/20 year. He advised that he was not necessarily looking for immediate reactions but it would be on the Jan agenda for decision. In the meantime the budget should be scrutinised and questions asked. The budget was introduced and changes between years highlighted. The draft suggested a balanced budget based on a precept increase of 3.25% with no draw on balances. The draft budget had been reviewed by the Finance Sub Ctte. He highlighted that it was important to identify all aspirations for consideration if possible so aims for the year are considered (including any Neighbourhood Plan or Community Actions Plans to be taken forward) in the budget, are financed from CIL or for the new play equipment/outdoor Rec from S106 monies received for those purposes.

Action. PCllrs to review draft budget, identify any new projects or put questions to the Clerk at or ahead of Jan meeting.


18/217. Party in the Park 6th July 2019. SG advised that a planning meeting had been held and arrangements are going ahead as planned. More volunteers welcome. It had been agreed to increase Ticket Prices by £1 as more toilets, a P.A and additional security were required. A “Fish and Chip Supper” would be held in the Village Hall on 18th Jan for senior citizens.


18/218. Rec Park. (1) Update. CC is repairing roundabout. (2) Improvements. CC advised that the Engine shed needed a soak away, water and electrics to make it more useable at minimum cost and that these are to be costed. Play/Outdoor Rec Equipment Proposals and a site plan are to be presented to the PC, these will also address issues raised in the Annual Safety Inspection Report.


18/219. Highways. (1) Defects No Issues were reported. (2) Hyde Lane Improvements. DF to advise of site meeting date for new crossing outside of the School.

Action. Clerk to inform PCllrs once date advised by DF.

(3) Fingerpost Signs. Advised that a second volunteer had come forward to help maintain the Parish’s fingerposts.

This was welcomed by PCllrs. The volunteer’s details have been reported to SCC who will now provide them training in the New Year. The Clerk highlighted the need to identify the signs in the Parish.

Action. PCllrs to send the Clerk details of Signs and a picture of each.

(4) Speedwatch. CC had distributed details of the scheme run by Bruce Holway elsewhere.

Action. The Clerk to request that the Police provide required training to use the Cameras.


18/220. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Defects. Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow, Creech St Michael –see above at 18/213. (2) SCC Parish Path Consultation. The PC considered a draft reply from the Parish Footpath Vols and agreed that this should be made available to Parishioners for consultation with a final response to be considered at the next PC mtg for submission ahead of the end of Jan deadline.


18/221. Youth Club. The Clerk advised that the Club Leaders posts have been advertised again by CYP with a closing date of 14th Dec . The Clerk had also put adverts in the Creech News, On social media sites including Facebook and Linked In and the village Website. An enquiry to Som County Gazette had been judged as too expensive at £500 for a business card size. The Clerk reported that the St Michaels Church Rector had made enquiries of the plans. It was also noted that with SCC pulling out entirely of youth services wef 31.1.19 that they were trying to secure some form of Legacy. And that the Lottery had now agreed that bids to ‘Awards to All’ could be made for youth club revenue funding.


18/222. Annual Parish Meeting. Friday 26th April 2019. PCllrs considered Speakers and suggested that TDBC Planners, Fire Service, Canal and River Trust and a villager be invited. Further speakers to be identified and notified to the Clerk.


18/223. Canal and River Trust. The Clerk reported that he had attended the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal Trust User Group held in Bridgwater on 8th November. The meeting was attended by c50 users from volunteers to boat users. The meeting was lively and essentially the users message was "a gem of a canal rescued by volunteers that is slowly falling back into disuse". The Trust have 3 staff working on the canal who explained that much of their work is routine maintenance such as maintaining the working mechanical parts of locks and sluices as well as the cutting of weed and verges. There are also improvement projects such as the recent clearance and improvement works on the old Chard canal. There were several aspirations and difficulties expressed and the organisation appeared to not have enough money to maintain the canal to operate as it should. The Clerk reported the canal bridge foliage and spoke to the Ops manager at some length in order to convey the extent of the problem that the growth causes and the need for them to remove/keep cut back. The Clerk reported that he had taken an extract from the Community Action Plan and shared this with the Trust so that they appreciated villager’s aspirations. A new flyer for the canal has been produced and this will be circulated as a pdf. They have a volunteer’s programme so a request to learn in goodtime of opportunities locally was made so these can be publicised.


18/224. Correspondence. The Clerk reported that several SCC consultations had been received (details previously circulated) including one on ‘Getset Services’ as part of the proposed cuts in the County Council’s Services. Whilst no specific Getset services are known to be provided in CSM the loss of these services accessible to residents from locations elsewhere would adversely impact on families with young children age 0-4 years and families needing Level 2 support

(‘a little extra help’).

Action. Clerk to respond to the consultation expressing concern over the loss of ‘Getset Services’.


18/225. Items for next meeting. To include; Budget 19/20, Gladman Planning Appeal, suggestions for APM Speakers addressing Road Safety and Allotments.


The meeting was closed at 9.35pm.


Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 7th Jan and 4 th Feb 2019 at 7pm to be held in Cartwright Rm, CSM Village Hall .

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net