/ Parish Council / Minutes / 3rd September 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 3rd September 2018

In the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), S Hutching (PC Chair) A Birch, P Brown, C Cudlip (from item 18/148), D Finch,

Y Guest, D Knight, G Lucas and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). B Brighton (Co-Opted Planning PCllr). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill. TDBCllr D Durdan. Four members of the public attended.


18/145. Chairs Welcome. S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair) took the Chair for this meeting and welcomed all.


18/146. Apologies. (1) PCllr S Harris. (2) The Clerk had previously circulated a report year attendance report to PCllrs and its contents were noted.


18/147. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. CS declared an interest in respect of item 18/148 and did not participate in the vote.


18/148. Vacancy on the Parish Council. The Clerk having advised that following PCllr I Wright resignation he had informed TDBC’s Electoral Officer and placed notices of the vacancy to establish whether there was to be an election. As no one had called an election he advised that the PC can co-opt onto the Council. Two individuals were considered and a decision was taken to co-opt Charlie Cudlip onto the Parish Council as a PCllr. CC then signed the acceptance of office and thanked PCllrs for their support. SG thanked the other individual for putting their name forward and asked them to do so on a future occasion when a vacancy occurs or an election is due.


18/149. County Councillors’ Report. DF reported;

(1). SCC Finances: For the last 18 months or so SCC have been highlighting the pressures they are facing as the funding from central government continues to fall and the demands and costs for what SCC do continues to rise. Local authorities up and down the country are facing similar challenges, as the developments in Northamptonshire, and more recently East Sussex, demonstrate. All of local government, particularly top-tier rural authorities with responsibility for vulnerable children and adults (which accounts for over 2/3rd of total SCC budget), are under huge financial pressure. Despite lobbying, there has been no shift in Government policy or funding. Unlike other public services, SCC have to deliver a balanced budget and the Cabinet will therefore consider in-year savings proposals when it meets on 12th Sept.

(2). Dementia Day Services: As the number of people diagnosed with Dementia in Somerset rises, Somerset County Council is reviewing how it provides daytime activities and respite for people with Dementia and their carers. The County Council is proposing to enable communities to support their own needs, by allocating a community grants programme focusing on specialist support services for people with dementia. A series of engagement events have been planned to allow people to visit several venues in the county where officers will be at hand to explain the proposals and answer any questions beginning on September 10th.

(3). Rural Life Museum: The school holidays have seen excellent attendances at the Somerset Rural Life Museum. Attractions for children have include a "rural life treasure hunt", and a fascinating exhibition showing how local women contributed to the cause of Suffrage 100 years ago this year.

(4). Hinkley Point: The long spell of warm dry weather has meant that EDF Energy have been able to make good progress at Hinkley Point; the building programme is on schedule and that the commissioning of the aggregate jetty is scheduled for Quarter 2 of 2019. This should remove a considerable amount of lorry traffic from Somerset roads.

(5). Dragon Patcher: The Dragon Patcher is due to arrive in Somerset. It is an innovative machine that can deliver road repairs up to five times faster than a traditional carriageway patching gang and can be controlled by one
operator. It can also be used to treat sections of road with cracks or minor deterioration to prevent potholes forming in future. The machine will operate until early November, depart during the colder months and then return for March.

(6). MMR Vaccine: All parents and carers are advised to check whether their children have been fully immunised before the start of the school term. It is quick and easy to get and really is the best protection for every child. If anyone is concerned that children have missed a dose, a catch-up vaccine can easily be arranged by contacting their GP. Measles is highly contagious and very nasty, so if children need it parents should not put off their children having the vaccination.

(7). Flu vaccination: Summer is almost at an end and it is time to think about plans for the winter. Flu can be a real killer. It is easily transmitted and even people with mild or no symptoms can still infect others. The vaccination is the best protection that we have. Details of vaccination centre’s will soon be available - please check with GP's or local pharmacists.

(8). Highways Updates: A new webpage to help residents find out about planned maintenance on Somerset's roads is now available. Somerset County Council's dedicated travel and roadwork's website www.travelsomerset.co.uk

(9). BBC Countryfile Roads Article: BBC Countryfile recently ran an article on a trial in Cumbria to repair roads using recycled plastics.SCC started to discuss this option for road maintenance back in January 2018 and whilst the technology is still very much in the early stages, the trial in Cumbria looks extremely encouraging. SCC are currently working with Skanska to develop this option in more detail and are hopeful to commence a trial in the near future.

(10) GL asked when the Hyde Lane Crossing will be in place - DF agreed to establish and advise; the Safe route to School will be completed by the end of October. He also asked what would happen if the P&R Services cease regarding bus access to Musgrove Park Hosp. DF explained that when P&R where introduced in 2009 it had been agreed car parks in Taunton would be reduced. TDBC raise £2m p.a from car parking whilst SCC has to subsidise the service £140k p.a. The services should be integrated and it was hoped that TDBC will agree. In the event this does not happen DF explained another First Bus service would be diverted. The land at Monkton Heathfield for a further P&R is still allocated.


18/150. District Councillors’ Report. DD reported that a meeting between TDBC and SCC Leaders to discuss the P&R is to take place on Thursday. The new Somerset West and Taunton Authority are to advertise for a Chief Executive.


18/151. Minutes of the 2nd July Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment .These were then signed and dated by the VChair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/152. Matters arising from the minutes of the 2nd July Mtg. The Clerk reported;

18/126. (6) Waste Bin to be sited in Bull St. The DLO had been asked to quote and site adjacent to the existing dog bin and the Clerk advised he was waiting to receive their quotation.


18/110 (2) Ryesland Way slope to Canal. The contractor had advertised it was not appropriate to utilise such labour in this way and TDBC had been informed. He had asked the Canal and River trust for permission to proceed and whether the Trust could contribute financially. Replies are awaited from the Trust and the contractor updated.


18/110 (3) Laburnum Terrace. In response to a resident asking if double lines could be put in place a decision had been taken to write to all houses asking residents to park on one side only and that side is to be the house side. The Clerk had drafted a letter to the residents of Laburnum Terrace for delivery to each home.


18/2. Allotments. The Clerk had written to the owner making enquiries to purchase the site and had yet to get a reply. He had hoped this could have been agreed so had not pursued getting agreement between the Society and Landowner on way forward in the interim on this years lease.

Action. The Clerk to contact the owner again for a response.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.


17/224 (5) Larkfleet Grant Fund. The Clerk having submitted a bid to the Cambs Community Foundation that manages the Larkfleet Fund reported that they had not supported the request.


18/103 . Bus Shelters. After visiting the site, SCC Highways has come back with a proposal to replace both stops at Creech Heathfield with a single stop on the grass verge immediately north of the entrance into Heathfield Close, about halfway between the Charlton lane and Crown Lane stops in order to facilitate a bus shelter installation.

Action. Chairman to consult wider bus users on the proposal. If supported the Clerk to bid for a grant to part fund later this financial year.


18/129. Planning. (4) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension. The Clerk had arranged a meeting with Nick Bryant of TDBC and colleagues and had updated the PC and provided a report at the August meeting.


18/131 PIP. Bench at the junction of Hyde Lane and Arundells Way. SCC Highways permission had been granted and the bench is due to be delivered to the Chairman this week for installation. To be funded from PIP monies.


18/132. Rec Park. (5) To consider the procurement of additional play equipment and a MUGA and their siting. CS had previously circulated two sets of option plans for play equipment. No decision was taken on these but it was agreed CS could consult young people and schools on what play equipment they required.

Action. CS to consult young people and schools on the plans now the school term had commenced.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. Fred A’Court, the Parish Footpaths Volunteer, Peter Hobley SCC and the Clerk had met on site to examine the tunnel on the 5th June. Unfortunately natural planting and fencing had prevented access but it appeared evident, with some access work that the underpass was capable of being used by walkers. As a result SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. As no reply has been SCC have been asked to follow up with HE.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that and PB had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked.


18/136. Somerset West and Taunton Council (New Council to replace WSDC and TDBC). The Clerk advised he had written to the Loc Govt Boundary Commission stating the PC wishes to see a 2 Cllr Ward for CSM & Durston named CSM.


18/138. Mill lane Lights. As Ruishton PC residents had complained about lights shining in housing from a premises in Mill Lane SH and the Clerk had toured looking for the potential lights. A set had been identified and the Chair is to visit one evening to see if these lights are causing the problem. Action. Chair to examine.


18/153. Minutes of the 6th August Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment .These were then signed and dated by the VChair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/154. Matters arising from the minutes of the 6th August Mtg. The Clerk reported;


18/142(3) Monkton Heathfield Urban Area (MHUA). The Clerk reported that he had requested from SCC Highways and TDBC Planning the further highway count data from the project team but is still waiting. It is known that the person to deal with this had left the day after receiving the data and has yet to be replaced.


18/155. Planning. (1) Applications. The following were considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

2 8 2018

14 18 0020

9 Vicarage Close, CSM. Erection of single storey extension to rear.

No observations. It was noted that TDBC are required to inform Network Rail due to proximity to the Railway.

15 8 2018

14 18 0023

10 Crown Lane Creech Heathfield, CSM. Erection of garage extension, porch canopy, garden canopy BBQ with shed and installation of dormer windows.

No observations.

(2) Application (14/17/0033 PINS App/D3315/W/18/3205705PINs) Appeal by Gladman’s Developments

against refusal to build 200 Nos dwellings off Langaller Lane, CSM. Though the PC response was submitted on 9th August ahead of the original deadline it was noted that the date for submitting representations has since been deferred to 11th Sept. The Clerk reported that he had attended the meeting held by Wellington Town Council (Notes previously circulated) following the Appeal there won by Gladman’s and reported that the TDBC Planning Manager and Portfolio Holder had informed the meeting that the Wellington case was based on a conflict of policy whilst in CSM there was much stronger case based on coalescence of settlement, landscape, highway etc. Gladman’s success in Wellington will have also added to TDBC Housing supply figures. The Clerk highlighted the need for the Parish to show the harm caused if it did not want these houses. BB highlight that though there had been 307 letters of objection to TDBC (unlike at either Wellington or Wiveliscombe) it was required to ensure good attendance at the appeal hearing in order to show to the Inspector that we do care and she advised she would be advertising details widely once the Appeal date is known. It was also noted that Ruishton PC had also objected to the Appeal Inspector and would be attending the Appeal. It was decided that CC and the Clerk would represent CSM PC at the Appeal.

(3) Ruishton and Thornfalcon Parish Council Neighbourhood Plan. It was agreed CC would attend the Vision and

Objectives meeting to be held on Thurs 20th Sept.


18/156. Finance.

(1) Cheques drawn since last meeting as approved at the July meeting. British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 8.7.18–7.8.18) £53.07 and WYG (N Plan Consultancy April 18 – Aug 2018) £9,708.00.

(2) Payments approved the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC for both Sept, SCC Pension Fund payments for October, the Clerks Expenses for August £132.60, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus shelters 21.8.18) £75.00, PKF Littlejohn LLP (External Audit Fee) £360.00, DC Direct Connection (PIP Lorry Fridge Hire) £94.99, Bibby Factors Bristol

Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 30.7.18-2.9.18) £270.00, SPFA (Annual Play Equipment Risk Assessment) £110.00,

Devon & Somerset Fire Protection (Pavilion Fire EX Safety Inspection)£18.90.

(3). Payments authorised to make as accounts are received approved. EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 12.7.18-13.8.18), British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 7.8.18–9.9.18), Glasdon (Seat for Hyde Lane PIP) £520.63.

(4). Invoices not paid; Opus (Pavilion Gas supply 12.7.18- 11.8.18) Nil £. Acc £19.50 in credit).

(5). Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; TDBC Grant (Rec Park and Burial Ground) £2,155.00,

South West Lottery (June) £4.00, PIP A Birch Hopkins-sale of Hay bales £450.00.

(6). External Auditors Report (2017/2018 Accs). The Ext Auditor PKF Littlejohn LLP has concluded their audit and has issued a clear report on the PC Accounts.

(7). Accounts (2018/2019). The reconciliation report was provided for the 1st Qtr and questions answered. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018 is £52,093.59 and the expenditure for the same period is 21,373.08 (excl provisions) is in line with expectations at this stage of the year as reported to the Finance Mtg which had taken place on 29th August.

(8). Financial Controls. The Financial Controls were reviewed. No changes were proposed or made.

(9). Risk Assessment of Assets. The PC considered and agreed its approach to the Annual Risk Assessment of Assets. A schedule had been circulated by the Clerk with details of who had checked which items the previous year and it was agreed to repeat. Once checked reports are to be sent to the Clerk in order that he can report the overall findings to a future PC meeting. CC highlighted the need to consider any risks that each asset may present in addition to examining the asset itself.

Action. The Clerk to reissue the asset list. PCllrs to examine and risk assess indentified items.


18/157. Party in the Park. AB reported that the event had been very successful and thanked all who had either participated or attended. The Accounts had now been completed and past to the Clerk, a sum £7.5k had been made. A meeting would be held in approximately a month’s time to start planning for next year’s event which will be held provisionally on 6th July 2019 and to consider how sums should be spent.


18/158. Rec Park. (1) Update. SH reported that the door handle to the toilet had been vandalised and the key to the changing room toilet has yet to be returned meaning no toilet was available at the park at present. Repairs are in hand. YG thanked SH/SG for putting up the goal posts. (2) Improvements. SG advised that fencing costs are currently being examined. A report from CCS on the consultation event held on the 7th Aug was considered but given the poor attendance the findings can’t be seen to represent villager’s views. SG suggested it could also be impetrated to show that villagers don’t feel this is important. CS advised that she would be consulting schools on the play equipment now that they are open. The Clerk having circulated a report detailing available funding (S106 money available £241 362 for play equipment and £184 426 for outdoor recreation which will need to be used in good part before 16th Nov 2019) highlighted the need to constitute a project to address any building project and suggested that additional resourcing would be required in view of the work required over a sustained period; he suggested CCS could be used. A separate equipment procurement and installation procurement process could however be undertaken. PB suggested we were not clear what we wanted yet. AB provided suggested costing’s and income details. CS proposed an additional dedicated PC meeting be held to consider the building matters further and to make decisions on it. It was agreed that this would take place on 13th September at 7pm and would be open to the public.


The Clerk highlighted that the LEAP (playground) on the Larkfleet estate had been stipulated by planners as part of the estate had been deemed too far from the Rec Park in Hyde Lane. Having spoken to Fields in Trust that produce the national guidance he has been advised that the distances were guidelines and discretion should be used in such marginal cases. Given the PC concerns about the LEAP being sited adjacent to the Canal and the Attenuation pond he asked PCllrs if they wished to ask TDBC/Larkfleet to contribute to the Rec Park in lieu? As it was noted that that the developers have already made progress laying the base and that the Rec Park equipment was being enhanced further it was decided not to. The Clerk highlighted that Crufts Meadow was fenced off from the Canal in the 1970s at planners behest but Larkfleet had decided not to fence off the canal bank at their site. This had been raised with TDBC Leisure who had sent a risk assessment tool to assist in response but there was no requirement for Larkfleet to fence and therefore no consistency by TDBC. CC raised his concern about the lack of fencing.

Action. The Clerk to provide Larkfleets and TDBC Leisure correspondence to CC for joint review.

(3). Annual Safety Inspection Report. The Annual Inspection has been done and the report produced. This will be circulated once received (note from Clerk - since done).


18/159. Highways. (1) Defects to be reported. GL highlighted that the surface repair by the bend at the River Bridge had sunk and though marked was in need of further attention. Canal Bridge. GL highlighted the growth on the western side of Canal Bridge. AB highlighted the Canal Trust have annual maintenance programme and will attend to it shortly. PB offered to attend.

(2). Highways Safety. The Clerk advised that he asked the Leaders and Portfolio holders of both TDBC and SCC for an update on progress since their Safety walk through the Village held on 15th June. These are now awaited.


18/160. Footpaths. FA’C had produced his usual excellent report and was thanked. PB highlighted the height of vegetation growth on some of the paths. SG reported SCC are taking forward the overhanging tree at Hill House in St Michaels Rd.


18/161. Youth Club. The Panel had agreed terms with CYP to enable them to start the process of establishing a youth club and the contract can be signed by the Chair shortly. CYP will be holding interviews on 13th September for the Club Leaders. SCC had reviewed their grant as they had anticipated the club starting earlier and had reconfirmed the sum providing £1750 was spent on wages, £350 programme and £900 on equipment as this was within existing budget and funded by their grant this was accepted. SCC had also explained their safe and welcoming requirements to the Clerk.

Concerns over the use of the pavilion exist, triggered by the need for the footballers to keep completely clear.


18/162. Correspondence. None discussed.


18/163. New Matters to be carried forward.

A need for a further dog bin by Canal to be considered at a future date.


The meeting was closed at 8.58pm.


Future Meetings;

An additional PC meeting (open to the public to attend) will be held on 13th September at 7pm to consider the Rec Park Buildings.

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 1st Oct and 5th November at 7pm.

These meetings are to be held in Ground floor Village Hall Cttee Room.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net