/ Parish Council / Minutes / 4th November 2019




CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 4th November 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, L Gates, Y Guest, A Gunstone and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, SWTCllr D Durdan. Three Members of the Public.


19/206. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all.


19/207. Apologies. PCllr N Davidson absent, no apologies were received.


19/208. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. SH regarding Caretaker.


19/209. Vacancy on the PC. Gale Berryman had resigned as a PCllr and that the vacancy is currently advertised with a deadline of Nov 6th 2019 was noted. If no call is made for an election before then the PC can then make a co-option on or after its 4th Dec mtg. The PC restated its decision (see Oct mtg item 19/187 mtg) that anyone interested should attend two PC mtgs and therefore anticipated a decision would not be made before 3rd Feb 20 mtg. (Anyone interested in becoming a PCllr should speak to the Clerk soonest).


19/210. Claire Thackery, Engagement Lead at Somerset West and Taunton Council. Attended to explain that she is one of 9 Leads newly appointed and has 19 PC’s to liaise with. The purpose of her role is to identify need and to learn about issues in order to improve people’s well-being and environment. She will also progress chase. The PC asked CT to organise a walk through the village by the Portfolio Holder Mike Rigby in order to appraise him of the Road Safety issues.


19/211. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised that;

(1) Election. Following the announcement of the General Election SCC will enter “Purdah” from Thurs 7th Nov.

(2) School Places: Applications for secondary/upper school places closed on 31st October. For those applying for their first school place, the deadline for applications is 15th January - further details can be found at http: www.somerset.gov.uk/education-and-families/apply-to-start-school/ SCC urge parents to submit three preferences, including their local school as one of those preferences.

(3) Mental Health First Aid Course: A Two Day Free Mental Health First Aid Course is being held on Weds 29th Nov and 6th December and helps attendees to spot the signs of Mental Health and to provide assistance on a First Aid Basis. Further details are available from Sophie Chivers In Public Health SChivers@Somerset.gov.uk

(4) Dillington House: A Winter Wonderland is running from 30th Nov to 1st Dec with Christmas stalls and a skate rink. Other festive packages available can be found at https:/www.dillington.com/page/Christmas/22/

(5) Learning Disabilities - Independent Living: SCC are currently promoting independence focusing on those with a learning disability. So far this year the County Council have moved, with individuals express agreement, 42 people with learning disabilities from residential care to supported living accommodation.

(6) Stepping Stones - Independent Living: Around 150 young people in Somerset leave care every year, and as part of National Care Leavers' Week, SCC are highlighting the urgent need for more Stepping Stone carers to help them on their journey to independent living. Stepping Stones carers welcome young people into their home and support them with managing bills, cooking, shopping, gaining employment opportunities and accessing further education. Stepping Stones carers receive a weekly fee plus extra for food and utilities. More information is available on 0800 5879900 or by visiting www.fosteringinsomerset.org.uk

(7) Climate Emergency Strategy Framework: SCC having committed to being Carbon Neutral by 2030 is working together with all District Councils in Somerset on a strategy. Countywide drop-ins and online community consultations are being held. Locally Sat 16 Nov - Taunton Library 10am and 4pm.

(8) Somerset Rivers Authority: Chaired by SCC, the SRA has published its annual report. In 2018-19, just over £3.8million was spent on actions to protect both people and property in order to reduce flood risks and increase resilience. All works are additional to those carried out by other Flood Risk Man Authorities.

(9) Dementia Support Groups: SCC is investing half a million pounds to kick-start and extend projects and groups that run day-time activities for people with dementia and provide respite for their unpaid carers. Two new projects are coming on stream one in Chard and the other in Wincanton. Other schemes already supported include those in Wellington, Wells, a Programme run by the Creative Innovation Centre in Taunton and the Filo project across the County.

(10) Unauthorised Highway Works: BT and Royal Mail have received substantial fines and SCC costs following successful prosecutions by SCC. both pleaded guilty to unauthorised roadworks.

(11) National Recognition Award: SCC's Locality Manager Chris Denovan has been selected as a finalist for the Lifetime Achievement category in the annual Social Worker of the Year Awards in recognition of her contribution to the profession over four decades. Chris has been at the forefront of Somerset's innovative Community Connect approach, with a passion for helping people remain independent. She and her team also featured in the recent Panorama care documentaries broadcast earlier this year.


19/212. SWTC Councillors’ Report. DD advised that;

(1) Firepool Consultation Event. Is being held on 4th and 5th at Deane House.

(2) RofW T10/20. Crops had grown over the RofW close to the motorway.

Action. Clerk to ask Footpaths volunteer to examine and to report.

(3) Tauntons Car Parking. The four Saturdays in December will be free of charge to park all day.

(4) Arundells Way road sign. He had reported that one side is spelt correctly but the other has just one L.


19/213. Minutes of the 7th October Mtg (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the 2nd September meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/214. Matters arising from the minutes of the 7th October.

The Clerk reported that;


16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. Clerk having visited following further complaints had found no real improvement in the vegetation either side of the fencing despite the owners (TDBC) previous commitments to improve over time. Clerk has raised with SWTC and as a result Steve Fletcher from the DLO is inspecting the site next week (wb 7/10) and will then advise what is to be done. SF responded saying that land not SWTC. Clerk pushed back on this and after 14 days has also reminded SF and asked what he going to actually do cc Brendon Cleere.


Whilst onsite the Clerk also examined the Derham Close canal bank. He had contacted Larkfleet developers who have advised as there is no fencing, they have decided to leave vegetation insitu as a precaution against children entering the canal and that the bank will become the responsibility of a management co shortly (upon leaving site). The Clerk has raised with both Planning and Developers that the PC wishes the bank to be cleared, tidied and grassed to the water’s edge ahead of their leaving the site and had requested a Lifebuoy. No reply having been received from either reminder were sent. Planning Enforcement have since advised it’s not an enforcement matter but a planning enquiry so have referred to Principal Planning Officer to reply (awaited).


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk having asked yet again if SWTC grant programme is available has submitted an enquiry to SWTC portal in order to be advised who is dealing with SWTC Bus Shelter Grants. As an incorrect reply had been given, he asked CT the Engagement Lead present to establish who is dealing with these.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply. The Clerk having reminded RofW and with no reply had whilst attending a meeting with HE on 24 9 19 the Clerk raised with HE representatives direct who undertook to examine and come back to the Clerk and as result they have reassured the Clerk as at the 4 10 19 this is still being actively considered. Ongoing.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received, he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. As a reply is still awaited, he had written again asking how this is being taken forward. Clerk raised with SCC highways at a meeting on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to ask colleagues and advise and also with WM PC who accept a joint voice will more impact.

No reply having been received the clerk chased SCC Highways who have advised that Dan Webb at SWTC is dealing with this. DW has been asked and had replied advising this would be considered as part of the forthcoming Local Plan review. The Clerk expressed his incredulity on the process undertaken.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Two volunteers having come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC and a SCC training course attended on 24th May. Upto £250 funding agreed. A update report from Volunteers has been received. It was agreed Expenses up to £250 would be reimbursed and that the volunteers could get quotes (without giving commitment) from contractors to enable PC to decide which are paint or repaired (if any). These are awaited. In the meantime, an enquiry about the mileage to Bridgwater and the whereabout of a missing arm on the Bull St sign has been put on facebook by the Clerk. A Villager has responded with a picture of the missing arm.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park and it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in. The Clerk suggested a comprehensive review of the Rec Park Signage including “Access only when open (or similar) signs” was required and that the MUGA came with an emergency sign for emergency contact.

Action. It was agreed SG source No Dog signs and that the Rec Park Panel review wider signage.


19/29. Arundells Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board. SH/CC to inspect board. BB has examined. PC needs to decide what it wishes to do re noticeboards in centre of the Village. Material displayed on the notice boards was also discussed. It was agreed that no business advertising should be permitted. With regard to the Arundells Way board LG volunteered to place an appropriate sign on the board and would monitor and remove any business adverts. Clerk has provided details of Woolmer Fitzpatrick’s noticeboards to SH.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk obtain a price for a range of new Boards for Arundells and Ryesland Way.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme. Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers.

19/85. Highways M5 Junc 25. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough. A meeting was held with SCC highways on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to put counters in and to advise. SCC have advised that they have data on all the sites requested. Advices awaited. Ongoing


19/161. Technology. Village Hall Cartwright Rm/PC. SH/PB/CC/Clerk had met with Richard Harris and Derrick King of the VHall Committee plans to install Wi-Fi and a hearing loop were welcomed and a smart speaker is planned for the main hall. As either a wall mounted smart screen or projector is envisaged for the Cartwright Room the merits of these were discussed. Further discussions are to take place.


19/163. Website Bios. PCllrs were reminded to submit a Bio to the Clerk.


19/169. Mill Lane. Problems with heavy traffic using the Mill Lane had been reported. SWTC Enforcement have allocated case ref E/0150/14/19 and have spoken to the Clerk 4 10 19 to advise that they are researching the planning history of the site and have met one of the two Crane Companies and a decision is awaited. The second company have been operating for over ten years and have acquired rights to operate.


19/178. Village Hall Staging. On learning of the Village Hall Cttees plans to sell a stage CC had expressed his view that this should not be lost to the Parish. SG suggested that an offer be made to stow the stage in the container or perhaps one of the buildings at the Rec Park. The Cttee has offered free to the PC providing if it is ever needed, they can use it. This was agreed to by the PC. The Clerk raised that the Youth Club would be returning to the Pavilion 4/20 and the equipment should be stowed with that in mind.

Action. CC to arrange removal and storage at the Rec Park.


19/190. (1) North End. A blocked drain on the Creech Heathfield Road. Clerk has informed SCC Highways.


19/190. (5) Rockett’s Cottages. A parent continues to park outside the Cottages which are owned by SWTC. Neighbour has reported to Police who have spoken to the individual. School have also engaged. It is for SWTC to take action if persists or Police if abuse is given to residents. Clerk has asked DWH when the car park at rear of School will be released to the school to use and awaits their reply.


19/198. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Defects/Issues. The Clerk had received a request that day to get hedgerows along the old Hyde Lane (now path) behind the school cut. He reminded PCllrs that the responsibility for this lay with the adjacent house and field owners. He had asked David Wilson Homes if they would cut and they had agreed they would this week. Since done.


19/201. Youth Club. CYP had advised that the Youth Club Leader was leaving wef 13th Nov. A new experienced Leader Kayleigh Smith had been appointed but the club would need to change night which may lead to clashes with other activities. This was agreed to. The Leader will work with young people to determine a new club night.

The panel is to meet next on 19th November.


19/199.Carey Grove Park. PB asked CT the Engagement Lead who was present if SWTC would be prepared to divest itself of the park and if so on what terms.

Action. CT to make enquiries of SWTC re Carey Grove Park sale and advise.


19/215. Planning. (1) Non material Planning Applications. It had been noted at last month’s PC meeting that decisions had been made without consultation by SWTC officers. The Clerk explained to CT the Engagement Lead present that he had been advised by Planning Managers that these had been deemed non material and that he had responded strongly that the PC expects all decisions to be advised. Since then BB has identified further decisions made without consultation;

Date

Ref

Application

Decision

22.7.19

14/19/0023

Lapthorne, Adsborough There was a change of application description to changing solar panels.

SWTC Approved 14/10/2019

6.6.19

14/19/0015/AGN

Old Vale Farm, Creech Heathfield Road.  Erection of agricultural building for storage of machinery/straw.

SWTC Approved 13/06/2019

1.5.19

14/19/0014/NMA

Somersby Lodge, Langaller Lane.14/17/0022 amendments to chimneys, brick detailing under eaves, access road alignment, internal alterations, removal of window and side door to plot 1 and addition of velux windows and wc in plots 2 & 4

SWTC Approved 29/05/2019

(2) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. It was noted that the Referendum held on 10th October resulted in clear support for the CSM Neighbourhood Plan and that as a result SWTC have put in place arrangements to ‘make the plan’ (adopt it) at the SWTC Full Council Mtg on 3rd Dec 6.15pm to be held in The Deane House, Taunton.

Action. In view of the General Election ‘purdah period’ CT the Engagement Lead was asked if the meeting would be held and if not to learn how SWTC would handle the matter within 56 days as required; it was suggested by delegating to the Portfolio Holder as it’s a non-contentious item.

(3) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. It was noted that the next meeting of the joint panel with WM PC is to be held on 7th Nov 7pm in the BACH Hall, W Monkton. A further meeting originally planned for 13th November has had to be postponed (Clerks note; now to take place on 27th Nov 3pm BACH Hall, W Monkton).

(4) Taunton Garden Town. The Clerk had previously circulated a report following his attendance at the RIBA design charrette held on the 9th October. He advised that the event had shown examples of exemplar design, Workshops to identify areas of improvement and a speech by the reviewer of National Park and AONBs that has recommended to Govt that these transfer to a national organisation form local control in or to achieve strategic objectives set for them https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/designated-landscapes-national-parks-and-aonbs-2018-review/landscapes-review-summary-of-findings .The event was well attended by SWTC who have issued a vision document and have commissioned design guides to be produced for developers to use.




19/216. Finance. The draft minutes of the Finance Sub Cttee held on 30th Oct had been previously circulated.

(1) Payment Authorised; The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks October Expense’s and other invoices received; Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security Rec Park 23 9-20.10.19) £302.40, SLCC (Membership 19/20) £156.00, ALCC (Membership 19/20) £40.00, CSM Village Hall (Sept hiring’s) £45.00. St Michael Church £685.00.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; SWTC (3rd Reimbursement net of vat S106 monies for Rec Park works) £61,666.47, HMRC (VAT refund 1.1.19 to 30.9.19) £33,350.97, Creech Allotments Society (Allotment rent 9/19-8/20) £675.00, SWTC (4th Reimbursement net of vat S106 monies for Rec Park works) £70,833.33, Somerset Lottery Proceeds £4.00, SWTC (CIL) £16,340.09, HMRC (VAT refund 1.10.19 to 31.10.19) £26,633.67.

(3) Payments already authorised to be paid; Sutcliffe’s (Play Equip Works stage payments), EDF (Pavilion Electricity) £30.00DD EDF (Engine Shed) £10pcm DD, SCC/Porter Dodson Solicitors (Canal carpark purchase sum and legal costs), CYP (for Youth Club) £320 and 4 Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village (and further 4 Ham Road funded by WW).

(4) Payments made since last meeting. Sutcliffe’s Play South West (Play Equipment instalment 4 TTD £259k) £85,000.00, EDF (Pavilion Electricity) £30.00, EDF (Pavilion Electricity 28.8-9.9.19 (omitted from oct list) £12.93, EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity) £8.00, Devon & Somerset Fire Protection (Pavilion) £18.90.

(5) Accounts (2019/2020). The Clerk reported (previously circulated) that the Council’s receipts for the period 1st April to 30th Sep 2019 are £205,317.55 and the expenditure £131,954.77; both are in line with expectations. The Fin Chair had checked the bank rec to the three original bank statements and Fin Cttee had reviewed the budget monitoring report which the PC considered and accepted. The Chairman then signed.

Reports on the S106 monies/contract sums and on CIL funding were considered. It was agreed to pay £600 for additional turfing at the Rec Park. PB raised with CT, the Engagement Lead present the difficulties experienced with cashflow over the requirement to pay and be reimbursed the S106 monies which SWTC are holding.

PB also suggested that the Council should build on North End Volunteers work by identifying other areas of the Parish that volunteers could maintain and be reimbursed their expenses. SG advised setting up a Village tidy day and build on the volunteers that help.

(6) Banking. The problems that had been experienced with the new online account with Lloyds are slowly being overcome. It was agreed to have PCllrs ND, AG and PT as additional PCllrs as signatories and details are awaited from one.

(7) Fin Regs. Following the adoption of new Fin Regs the Clerk had identified new requirements and provided a position statement on them to the Finance Sub Cttee. The Fin Sub Cttee had considered this report and endorsed a number of recommendations. These included (i) a recommendation to develop a list of regular payments that can be made and then reported to the next PC with other payments being subject to agreement at a PC before payment. A precirculated list was then agreed. (ii) That the PIP committee review the cash handling arrangements and the need for a separate bank account for the event. (iii) That a min value for items being insured was set at £100 (iv). To confirm that Fidelity Guarantee Insurance is already in place and that £250,000.00 cover was adequate. (v) That Risk Assessments are done for all Activities (at present PIP, Rec Park Eqp and Assets). It was agreed that CC would take the lead on developing further Risk Assessments/Register/ Method statements. These five points were agreed.

Action. CC to lead development of Risk Assessments.

(8) Annual Risk Assessment of Assets. The Clerk reported that all the items had now been seen. The legs of the noticeboard at Ham are showing signs of rot (2 years max life), the Ham dog bin needs a repaint and the noticeboards at Arundells (see item 19/214 (19/24)) and Creech Heathfield (locks) need attention. It was also agreed in principle to sell the conference system.

Action. Clerk to see if vendor will offer to buy conference system.

10.9 Insurance Claim. Following the burglary at the Engine Shed and Ticket Booth in the Rec Park overnight on the 18th Sept almost all of the Party in Park day equipment was stolen. At the meeting with the Loss Adjustor he had agreed to recommend to the Ins Co-payment of the contents stolen in full £6,959.35 less the Policy excess of £250 and all bar £100 of the damage quotations £710. Total Sum £7,319.35.

In his subsequent email however, the contents had been reduced with a figure of £6,862 stated. The Clerk has not accepted this and has asked for an explanation for the reduction of £457.35. A reply is awaited.

Action. Clerk to order a replacement rubbish bin.

10.10 Grants. The Finance Sub Cttee having considered Grants for St Michael Church (Burial Ground) and Love Musgrove and had recommended giving a grant of £685 to St Michael and not to make a grant to Love Musgrove. These were confirmed by the PC. The need for a Grants Policy was identified with PCllrs identifying that they wish grants to be only made to community Groups based in the Parish serving the Parish. It was agreed that Grants from PIP money held by the PC would continue to be made on the recommendation of the PIP Panel and would fall outside of the policy.

Action. The Clerk to draft a grants policy.


19/217. Rec Park. CC advised that Sutcliffe’s are close to completing the work at the Rec Park. It was agreed to pay £600 for additional turfing. Large areas would need seeding so fencing would remain in place. AG/CC to agree siting of the Rugby posts and two pitches this week. The Clerk highlighted the need for arrangements for the hiring of the new MUGA and lighting to be agreed by the panel.


19/218. “Party in the Park”. SG had advised that the Senior Citizen’s Fish and Chip event for those over 65 would be on 24.1.20 and that PIP20 would be in the same format as past years on 18th July 2020.


19/219. Canal Carpark. The Legal docs for the purchase had been received from Solicitors and reviewed in detail at the Finance Sub Cttee. The PC are being offered the best possible title.

Action. Clerk had sought clarification from the PC Solicitor on some points.


19/220. Highways. (1) Defects or Issues to be reported /considered. None.


19/221. Footpaths/Rights of Way. The footpath volunteers report had been previously circulated.


19/222. Website and standard email addresses for PC Emails. LG reported that Adrian Birch, Webmaster has started on a new version of the Creech website which is a vast improvement on the current one but much of the historical information from the existing site is still to be transferred and needs editing prior to being uploaded to the new site.  The new site still includes a Q&A facility.  In the past this has been little used and where questions have been posted they have often not received answers.  It was agreed to dispense with the Q&A referring people to the Facebook page.  It was also agreed that the 'Events' page should show ‘one off’ type events only such as the Flower Show and McMillan Coffee Morning rather than diluting its impact by listing the regular groups held at the Village Hall or churches.  Links can be included from the Creech website. The need to ensure all items for inclusion on the new website are viewed and if necessary, edited by a Parish Councillor before it is unloaded to the website was also discussed and agreed.  LG also advised that Adrian can set up dedicated PC email accounts for Councillors and is currently awaiting a response from him regarding further information he may require in order to do so. New rules on Public Sector websites which come in from Sept 2020 have been passed over to AB. The Clerk highlighted the possible need regarding MUGA booking and availability.

Action.  LG to edit/update information currently held on the website, including any Q&A info to be retained.  LG to liaise with Adrian Birch, Webmaster re both the website and email addresses.

19/223. SALC. The Chair and Clerk having attended an area mtg on 17th Oct had previously circulated a report. The meeting had been a Q and A with SWTC senior Cllrs at which difficulties being experienced with the new Council operation were put directly and answers given.


19/224. Correspondence. None were raised;


19/225. Items for the next meeting. Budget 2020/2021.

The meeting was closed at 9.15pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net


Future Meetings; The next CSM PC mtgs are on 2nd Dec 2019 and 6th Jan 2020 at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall.