/ Parish Council / Minutes / 4th September 2017



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 4th September 2017

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, P Brown, S Harris, G Lucas and I Wright (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill. Three members of the public attended.


17/150. Chairs Welcome. SG Chair took the Chair in the absence of SH. He welcomed all.


17/151. Public Speaking. Keith Taylor asked to speak in support of his listed building application. See item 17/156 (1) below. KT outlined and showed pictures of the works he had done to his listed Building, Charlton Manor.


17/152. Apologies. PCllrs S Hutchings (Chair), D Knight, K Reed and C Sampson had sent their apologies and reasons given were accepted. Apologies were also received from TDBCllr D Durdan. PCllr Y Guest absent.


17/153. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. None.


17/154. Wessex Water Ham STW Access Track. Stuart Lewis and Adam Lynch of WW attended to advise that their contractors had started work on the Access track two weeks previously, just days after acquiring the land. Its hoped to complete either in February if the winter is dry but otherwise the end of march. There will be some disturbance whilst work is done, as materials and equipment are brought on site and during a period of closure (est 6 weeks) in the new year which will be required in order to comply with the requirements of a section278 agreement currently being negotiated with SCC which requires a rebuild of the part of the highway. All works will be managed to minimise impact. A bund and planting will be put in (though this may not be in place on day one) to screen. The scheme had been checked with the Env Agency. There is also a further improvement project required to start in the works before the road is complete. WW were thanked.


17/155. M5 Junc 25 upgrade. Sunita Mills, Service Commissioning Manager Transport Policy, Mike O’Dowd Jones Strategic Commissioning Manager Highways and Transport and Richard Needs Service Manager Engineering Design of Somerset County Council attended to explain their improvement plans for the motorway junction. A presentation was given. The various developments within Taunton will create hotspots junctions so SCC are looking to address these. It was explained that they don’t have money to do all but SCC does have the funding to do the Motorway Junction, Creech Castle and some improvements along the Toneway. It is anticipated that work will start next summer to be completed 2020. One year of the construction would be off the highway and the second would necessitate restricted lanes and some overnight working in order to minimise the disruption. IW asked questions about impact upon flooding and was advised that additional land was being acquired and lowered to provide replacement capacity and as the schemes bridging was larger than the present bridge it would mean no narrowing of flow. PB and GL asked for details of vehicle movements data for some analysis/interpretation. This was agreed to.


SG advised that the real concern is that with 4500 new houses additional homes being built the urban extension combined with Nexus will inevitably lead to more traffic on St Michaels Road through Creech.   Volume and speed are the main concerns. The hazard is compounded by narrow footways over the canal and rail bridges and a blind bend at the junction with Ryesland Way.  MO’D advised that an efficient J25 would make journeys through the junction more attractive. SG asked for a physical pinch point (6 foot 6 inches ) to be created during the works with a physical barrier ensuring that larger vehicles cannot use the road, particularly as there is an absence of police enforcement. This lead to a discussion on acceptability of the access for the emergency services and it was agreed to examine the Transport Reg Order, to consider this further and if necessary seek to change the TRO.


The Clerk suggested working with Highways England to jointly reengineer the roundabout to make it much larger so that the duelled A358 could join thereby removing the need for a J25a. SCC advised this was outside of their project/ timescales/cost and control. He also suggested a J24a at Walford to enable access onto and from the motorway from the A38 using the existing road bridge. SCC advised HE were not keen to have junction too close.

Action. SCC to provide a copy of presentation slides and road usage data and the Clerk to obtain a copy of the TRO.


17/156. Planning Applications. (1) The following applications were considered and decisions taken;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

26.7.2017

14 17 0017LB

Charlton Manor Erection of log store to the rear, fountain to the front and lean-to to the south west of the house, erection of walls bordering tennis court, installation of railings to the carriage driveway, entrance gates and perimeter railings (retention of works already undertaken)

The PC agreed to SUPPORT.

26.7.2017

14 17 0018LB

Charlton Manor Erection of lean-to to the south west of the house and installation of railings to the carriage driveway, entrance gates and perimeter railings at Charlton Manor, Creech Heathfield (retention of works already undertaken).

The PC agreed to SUPPORT.

25.7.2017

14 17 0022

Variation of Condition No. 02 (approved plans) and No. 07 (visibility) of application 14/15/0027 on land east of Somersby Lodge, Langaller Lane, Creech St Michael

The PC agreed to SUPPORT.


17.8.2017

14 17 0024LB

Replacement of window with French doors at Ham Mills, White Street, Ham, CSM

The PC agreed to SUPPORT the listed

Building Officers decision.


17/156. (2) Planning Enforcement. PCllrs noted that Planning Officers are examing Planning Enforcement cases

E0014 14 17 Alleged unauthorised dev and caravans being used for permanent residential occupation on land at Charlton Lane CSM and Planning Enforcement E0015 16 17 Unauthorised stationing of two occupied static caravans on land adjacent to the A361, Durston.

(3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. (See the draft minute of the CSM NH Panel meeting of the 20th July). The Clerk reported that WYG had been appointed to undertake the ecology survey. This along with the Housing Needs Survey being undertaken by TDBC will be fed into the CSM NH Plan with the aim to provide to PCllrs at the next meeting.

A discussion took place on the time required to consider this and it was agreed two weeks and to hold an additional PC meeting for this purpose on 16th October. SH and the Clerk had attended a presentation undertaken by TDBC on the Garden Town in the Orchard Centre. It was noted there that a country park was shown so enquiries have been made. TDBC have advised that the Country Park is proposed within the Core Strategy on land to the east of Nerrol’s Farm development. They are doing a piece of work to secure its provision. It is being treated as a stand-alone project for the benefit of the area as a whole rather than as part of the open space requirement associated with the residential development within the urban extension site.


17/157. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised that;


  • The Sec of state had reconised SCC as the most improved authority for how quickly it gets people out of care.

  • Somerset has become the first County to have all its care providers judged adequate or above (none failing).

  • 1 in 5 residents in Somerset are over 65.

  • SCC is awaiting an Ofsted Inspection of Childrens Care (prior to Christmas).

  • SCC is seeking work experience opportunities for children in care.

  • SCC are encouraging local communities to look after historic metal road signs and would provide details.

  • GCSE results were out last week.

  • The Monkton Heathfield Bus Gate sited between Milton Hill and Canal view is being opened today.

  • Hyde lane Crossing. DF offered to provide an update later in the week.

  • Safe route to School (M/Way Bridge to Hyde Lane Cottages). DF offered to provide an update.

  • Creation of a new Council to replace West Somerset and TDBC. The Sec of State has yet to make a decision.

SWH then advised DF of two manhole covers requiring replacement in the pavement at Creech Heathfield and the Clerk reminded DF re positioning of the Sedgemoor sign.


17/158. Minutes of the 3rd July Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


17/159. Matters arising from the minutes of the 3rd July Mtg. The Clerk reported;


16/221. Flooding Sign. Following CRISP (Community Resilience in Somerset) reply to the funding enquiry he had submitted for a “flip over” flood warning sign on the Ham to North Curry road (CRISP had agreed to fund in principle subject to the PC agreeing to develop an emergency plan) it was decided to ask Ruishton PC if it was possible to join their flood group and to ask if they had an emerg plan in place. The Clerk reported that Ruishton do not have an emergency plan and are in the process of retraining their flood group following changes in membership.

Action. The Clerk to ask Ruishton Flood Group if it would be possible for CSM volunteers to join their flood group.


16/58. Over grown vegetation on TDBC owned Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. Following TDBC confirmation that they owned the enclosed land adjacent to the canal he had chased TDBC to improve the area, as a result it was largely cut on the 17th May. As three months had passed he had reinspected the site to see if improved. Regretfully he could report no improvement; indeed an OPEN man hole reported twice three months ago remained open despite it being dangerous and also of concern is a tree stump. This should have been ground out as it presents a formidable trip hazard to any children playing football there as the grass is meadow length and hides the stump. The Clerk reported that it appeared that the grass was much longer than on other estate verges suggesting that Crufts is still not on the TDBC scheduled cutting programme. Briars had not been cut back either and in places had over grown the footpath let alone the grassed areas. It also appears that there is a prospect of a "gap" appearing between the Larkfleet estate path by the canal and the existing footpath. In all nine default had been reported to TDBC and the Clerk has reported to them once again their lack of progress in bringing the area to an acceptable standard.


17/59 (1). St Michaels Rd and Bull Street. It was now noted that the loose ironwork and similar fault at North End had finally been repaired by SCC.


17/59 (4) Hollingsworth Estate Speed Calming. The Clerk had asked for a meeting with SCC and is still awaiting a date. Several complaints had been received and passed to SCC for reply. The PC had been previously advised by SCC Highways and the developers in writing that traffic calming would be installed but Highways are now saying no. DF had agreed to speak with SCC Highways in order to understand what speed readings had been done and these are awaited.

Action. DF to make enquiries of SCC Highways.


17/72 (1). Defibulator’s. Details of SCF grant scheme to part finance the costs of defibulator’s had just been received and must be submitted in Sept. A max of £1k is available. The Clerk had obtained a quotation for additional defib’s and the metal cases they are to be stored inside the telephone boxes. The vandal proof cases are connected to the ambulance service and released by the controller upon ringing 999 with a need. He acknowledged that PIP had already committed to contribute £500 to the project but in view of the success of this year’s event that PIP may wish to increase the sum in view of the benefit to the whole Parish. The cost of the cases was queried and the Clerk undertook to provide more information so alternatives may be considered. A volunteer had come forward and having repainted the Ham telephone box and would now look after it. It was hoped volunteers would look after the other two.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk to submit a grant bid to SCF for 2 defibulator’s to be placed in three boxes on a phased basis and obtain more details on the cases. PIP Panel to consider making an increased contribution.


17/72 (6) Hyde Lane Crossing. See 17/157 above.


17/75. Open access youth club for teenagers. The Clerk advised that he had repeatedly requested costing’s from Somerset Rural Youth Project for the running of a youth club and these were still awaited.

He was aware SRYP were awaiting on the outcome of bids for Nat Citizenship and Youth funding which would enable them to continue to provide open access youth sessions across the County. This was immenant.

Action. The Clerk to speak to SRYP again and to also look at alternative options to obtain quotations.


17/104 (2). A358/A303 Duelling. The Clerk reported he had written again to Highways England as instructed and had been informed that further consultation on options was planned for the autumn.


17/105 Canal Signing. The Clerk advised he did not know the progress SH had made on replacing the Canal sign the PC had agreed to fund or the condition of the two further signs at Ham and Bull St (DK).


17/119 (3) TDBC Pitch strategy consultation. An acknowledgement of safe receipt has been received from TDBC. The emerging strategy will now go to TDBC Cllrs for consideration shortly.


17/125 Dog Bins. Three of the 4 new bins had been installed by SH and SG and are in use. The remaining one had yet to be put in place as a precise site was being reviewed. PB suggested the PC consider a carefully worded sign to highlight the failing of some owners to pick up. DF suggested pink paint spray as an alternative.

Action. TDBC to be asked to install the final dog bin.


17/127. Somerset West Lottery. The Clerk reported that as CSM PC is a registered “good cause” it had now received its first payment. Indeed one person in the Parish had also been a winner. He suggested that others be encouraged to support the PC if they can afford it.


17/130. Public Speaking. AB had uploaded the NH Plan survey results to the CSM website as requested.


17/160. Minutes of the 7th August Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


17/161. Matters arising from the minutes of the 7th August Mtg. The Clerk reported;


17/148. CSM Neighbourhood Plan. The Clerk advised that after ascertaining the quotations received were firm and having consulted PCllrs WYG had been tasked to undertake a Ecology survey of the fields neighbouring the village. It will be complete in time for the outcomes to be reported as part of the draft NH Plan to be presented to PCllrs at the 2nd October meeting.


17/162. Finance.

(1) Accounts authorised for Payment (nb no meeting in august is planned). The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks August Expenses £115.93 , SPFA (Annual Play Equipment Safety inspection Fee) £80.00, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 30.7.17-27.8.17) £240.00, WYG EPT ltd (NH Plan Consultancy 18-6-17-19.8.17) £3,311.88, Kompan (Parts for damaged play equipment) £206.40 and Grant Thornton (Ext Audit Fee 16-17) £480.00.


(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; For Party in the Park: Warren & Chedzoy (PIP Tickets) £45.00, PIP17 takings £8,515.28, Wellington Bouncy Castles (PIP stall holder donation) £90.00* Other: TDBC (Grant towards Bus Shelters) £6,380.96, South West lottery (proceeds) £6.00* (*to be confirmed when bank statement received) .


(3) Cheques drawn since last meeting; Payments to One Line Survey (septic tank empty 7.7.17) £120,

A Birch (Keys) £30, Nigel’s Windows Cleaning (5 Bus Shelter 20.7.2017) £75, Bibby Factors (3d security in Park 3.7.17-30.7.17) £204.00 and Water2Business (water supply to park 6.1.17-27.7.17) as previously agreed.


(4) Cheques authorised for payment before the next meeting. To pay for Gas and Electricity supply £tbc


(5) Finance Sub Committee . The Terms of Reference and constitution (see separate paper) as recommended by the Finance Sub Cttee was agreed. It was noted all decisions on finance remain with the full PC. The minutes of the meeting held on the 29th August were also noted.


(6) Accounts. The Clerk presented the 1st Qtr (April-June) Bank Reconciliation and reported on the PC finances. The Council’s receipts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th June 2017 is £ 63,461.44 and the expenditure for the same period is £26,774.83. Additional Expenditure had been approved and the uncommitted balance is nil. It was agreed the Sub Cttee examine viring sum from other budgets at a future meeting and make recommendations to the full PC.


(7) Financial Controls. The Financial Controls were reviewed and a new control to reflect that CIL transactions are to be separately recorded and reported was added.


(8) Risk Assessment of Assets. The PC considered and agreed its approach to the Annual Risk Assessment of Assets. A schedule had been circulated by the Clerk with details of who had checked which items the previous year and it was agreed to repeat. Once checked reports are to be sent to the Clerk in order that he can report the overall findings to a future PC meeting.


(9) Utilities. The clerk updated the PC on the difficulties he was experiencing with both gas and electricity suppliers.

The gas had been transferred to a new supplier who had failed to commence take on leaving the old supplier wanting to charge. BGas the electricity supplier had invoiced incorrectly and despite having sent three sets of incorrect bills had still failed to provide a correct bill or explanation.


It was agreed to take the remaining agenda items over to the next meeting.


The meeting was closed at 9.35pm.


Future Meetings;

The next scheduled Parish Council meetings will be held at 7pm on Monday 2nd October and 6th November.

An additional PC meeting to consider the draft NH Plan will take place on 16th October 7pm

The CSM Neighbourhood Plan Panel will meet on 5th October at 6.30pm

All meetings held in the Lower Cttee Room, CSM Village Hall.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net