/ Parish Council / Minutes / 5th February 2018


Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 5th February 2018

In the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings, (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, P Brown, S Harris, G Lucas, C Sampson and I Wright, (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). TDBCllr K Durdan. One member of the public attended.

18/19. Chairs Welcome. The Chair welcomed all.

18/20. Public Speaking. Mrs Winchester asked what route the No 29 bus would take when the road at Durston is closed shortly for relaying.

Action. The Clerk undertook to ring First Bus (tel 211180) and inform her (Clerks note – First Bus have yet to decide).

18/21. Creech Castle Highway Improvement Scheme. David Mitchell, Technical Lead Projects and Studies, SCC Highways and three colleagues presented their plans to upgrade the Creech Castle junction and PCllrs made observations. SCC have considered 5 options and intend to apply to the Enterprise Partnership for 70% funding for the preferred scheme which is essentially an enhancement of the existing arrangements with additional lanes and better cycle and pedestrian crossings. It was noted that there would be no right turn from Town into Bridgwater Rd (towards Hamilton Rd), an additional lane along the Toneway, two lanes when turning left from West Monkton towards Hankridge, a longer waiting lane for those turning right from Hankridge when travelling towards West Monkton and three lanes in Bridgwater Road (from Hamilton Rd direction) with the turn left slip along the Toneway towards Taunton removed.

The focus of PCllrs response was on the need for safety improvement works being put in place in CSM ahead of the works starting particularly as it is likely the Creech Castle work will be timed alongside the planned J25 improvement work which is going to be undertaken over a 2 year period. It was accepted that 2 years of disruption will further increase rat running between the A38 and A358 as drivers seek to avoid the works. SCC agreed to walk through the village to understand the difficulties, to consider what could be done and agreed to support the PC in principal to develop a village traffic management plan (though no commitment on the availability of resources was given). A discussion was held on the safety of cyclists and pedestrians and the need for an crossing on the A38 at Bathpool, the impact on the Sainsbury roundabout and where traffic may be displaced from.

Actions. The Clerk to arrange with Highways a walk through of CSM.

18/22. Apologies. PCllrs Y Guest, D Knight, K Reed and sent their apologies and the reasons given were accepted. SCClr D Fothergill.

18/23. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. None.

18/24. District Councillors’ Report.

DD advised he had nothing further to report beyond the two emails he had previously forwarded - the first from Newgale Comms on behalf of Highway England Ltd which provided a A358 Taunton to Southfields Duelling Scheme Consultation Stakeholder Pack and notice of a future closure of Hyde Lane (near the cottages) by Wessex Water in order to Wessex Water can replace the water supply pipes. The closure is set for 5th March for 27 days.

18/25. County Councillors’ Report. DF had provided the Clerk with a report in his absence;

(1) Ofsted report into SCC Childrens Services: Ofsted’s latest report into SCC’s Childrens Services was published on 29 January; this report followed two previous inadequate ratings. The report found improvements and gave SCC an improved rating of ‘Requires Improvement to be Good’ with Adoption Services rated as ‘Good’. The aim is to be Good at the next assessment and Outstanding shortly afterwards.

(2) Family Support Service: The decisions required to deliver SCC’s new Family Support Service are progressing through the democratic processes. The Family Support Service will join together the existing early help service, Getset and SCC’s public health nursing services (health visitors and school nurses). Contact publichealth@somerset.gov.uk

(3) Adult Social Care precept: In the face of a national social care crises the Government has allowed Local Authorities to add up to 3% to help meet the cost of providing Adult Social Care. In a County, which is recognised as having a significant ageing population, Adult Social Care already accounts for over 40% of the SCC’s total budget.

(4) Delayed Transfers of Care: Despite a huge increase in hospital admissions over Christmas SCC have, for the first time, beaten their national target in this area to assist in the safe discharge of patients from the four main hospitals. In one week alone Social Services provided over 500 care packages for safe discharge from Musgrove Park Hospital

(5) Domestic Homicide Reviews: A responsibility of SCC is the management of the process of facilitating multi agency participation DHR. Since 2011 ten have been undertaken. Each review examines a death when it has been the result of harm perpetrated by an intimate partner / person or member of the same household. The purpose is to learn lessons and identify good practice which can be applied to reduce and prevent domestic violence and homicide. All reviews are published and are available at http://www.somersetsurvivors.org.uk/domestic-homicide-reviews/

(6) Investing in Schools: SCC have recently launched an investment programme in education with twenty four new or replacement schools and nineteen other major building projects at existing schools over the next few years. The £140 million of investment will be focused on the Primary School level but also includes secondary, nursery and early year’s provision. The first major announcement is a £9 million investment in Selworthy Secondary School providing a large number of specialist placements for pupils with complex health issues.

(7) Library Consultation: is now available for communities, businesses and individuals to participate. Drop In sessions are running across the network during the consultation period as well to enable further information sharing. Feedback from those who are affected by any potential changes in the service is being encouraged. No decisions will be taken until the results of the consultation have been fully analysed. The consultation runs to 22nd April and further details can be found at http://somersetlibraries.co.uk/consultation/

(8) Somerset Road Safety Strategy: In 2017, 22 people were killed in fatal collisions on the Counties roads and although it is the lowest annual total each death represents a personal tragedy. This consultation runs until 8th March and can be found at http://www.somersetconsults.org.uk/consults.ti/system/home

(9) Highways England consultation: Highways England are currently running two consultations. The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester consultation can be found at http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a303-sparkford-to-ilchester/and the A358 at https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/he/taunton-to-southfields-duallingscheme/

(10) Apprenticeships in Somerset: SCC’s Young Peoples Strategy provides practical apprenticeships. So far the Council has employed 121 and needs assistance in spreading the word to increase these numbers further throughout the County. Apprenticeship roles exist in various departments and can be found through the Somerset Jobs webpage.

(11) Trading Standards: Somerset Trading Standards (a Division of Somerset County Council) are offering ‘Pop Up Business Advice’ on Tuesday 27th February 27th between 10am-1pm at the Red Brick Building, Morland Road, Glastonbury BA6 9FT. Anyone wishing to attend can book a place at http://www.bwcpopupcafe.eventbrite.co.uk/

18/26. Minutes of the 8th January Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

18/27. Matters arising from the minutes of the 8th January Mtg.

The Clerk reported;

18/2. Allotments. The Clerk confirms that the documentation had been provided to the Allotments Society. A cordial meeting had taken place with the landowner and agreement had been reached on rent for the next four years. There is still a disagreement regarding year five so this has yet to be resolved. As the year is half way through the allotment society had now paid this year rent and in turn the Clerk recommended the PC authorise payment to the landowner. It was noted and agreed that the Society wish the PC to retain a central role.

18/5(1)/17/204. Strategic Housing land availability assessment (SHLAA). As KD had offered to ask TDBC (RB) to respond to TDBCllr D Durdans referral of the PC request to have the SHLAA updated at its next review (to ensure that the field on the Langaller Road was no longer endorsed as potentially developable) the Clerk asked DD as the PC had still to hear from RB if he would follow this up.

Action. KD/DD to ask TDBC (RB) to reply.

18/5(2). S106 Annual report. The Clerk confirmed he had circulated the TDBC report to each PCllr.

18/6 (8) M5 Tunnel. DF had asked if Highways had been in touch yet regarding taking forward the idea of using the unused tunnel at Langaller for pedestrians. The Clerk advised that they had not yet and DF offered to follow-up with Highways.

Action. Clerk to ask DF to follow up with Highways.

16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.

17/220 (9) Fly Tipping. He had informed Planning Enforcement that materials were being dumped in a field off Long Lane (RofW10/29) Langaller as ‘no change of use’ had been obtained by the land owner this was thought to be a matter for planning enforcement. Planning Enforcement had since been chased for an update report and had responded that the matter was for Env Health colleagues. After chasing EH for a reply twice they asked if the flytipping was taking place with the land owners permission as if so the matter was responsibility of SCC planners. At this point and as two months had passed the Clerk had told PE and EH to decide but one need to visit the site.

16/58. Over grown vegetation on TDBC owned Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. PB had reported that TDBC had been progressing some of the improvements agreed at a site meeting held on 17th May. As a result he had asked TDBC again for an update on their intentions and he had arranged for a site meeting on the 14th February between the Canal Society and TDBC Open Spaces in order to plan progress.

Action. The Clerk to brief CS.

17/125 Dog Bins. The Chairman had identified two sites for the bin and is now to establish the land owner’s permission.

Action. The Chairman to get permission to site, the Clerk to await Chairman’s advices and then ask DLO to install.

17/207. Defibulator’s. The Chair is in the process of replacing the backboards in the Telephone Boxes. Heartstart Somerset had visited and inspected the box at Creech Heathfield again in order to write the specification for electrical works from so quotations can be obtained from electricians.

17/224 (5) Larkfleet Grant Fund. The Clerk reported he had bid to Camb Community Foundation that manage the Larkfleet Fund in January as requested asking for funding to purchase gazebos and tables. He had received a reply asking for the Council adult safe guarding policy by return. This he had drafted and circulated to PCllrs for agreement.

Action. It was agreed the Clerk could submit the adult safeguarding policy to CCF/Larkfleet.

17/228. “Missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way. FA’C had advised that he ascertained that the Canal Society own the “missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way and that he had asked them if they would surface.

17/232. Creech St Michael Website. That KR had agreed to put in an appeal in the next edition of the Creech News calling for volunteers to help identify, collect and upload content timely on a voluntary basis.

18/14(1) West View. The Clerk confirmed he had informed SCC Highways that the surface at the junction with Hyde Lane is breaking up. GL advised that he had seen orange markings which suggested that it had been inspected and work was to be done.

18/15. Youth Club. As agreed he had spoken to SCC Youth Officers to explore if there were alternative providers for running an open access club professionally. As they were confident there are he had placed an advert asking for interested companies to make contact. No commitment had been given but the panel (CS/KR/Judith Hodge/Clerk) would meet again and take stock. It is noted that funding was an issue so he had drafted a bid to SCC asking for some funding and as the annual deadline was the 23rd Feb asked for Council agreement that he could submit the bid. This was agreed.

18/17 (1). Merger of West Somerset DC and Taunton Deane BC and its replacement with a new authority.

The Clerk advised he had written to the Sec of State again restating the PC objection to the merger as an evaluation of all the options by the Boundary Commission had not been undertaken and that it appears to be a political decision already taken. An acknowledgement and a reassurance that all responses would be considered before a decision was taken by the Sec of State had been received.

18/17 (4) Hopkins Field Fencing to rear of West View. The Clerk had reported as requested by GL to David Wilson Homes that the fencing alongside their site is in poor condition and had asked DWH to reinstate. GL had since received a call and the Clerk an email saying the matter would be attended to by contractors in the next few days.

18/28. Planning. (1). The following planning applications were considered;







Ham, Field opp Broomhay, White St. Replacement of access gates and erection of poly tunnel.

To support.



Ham Sewage Treatment Works, Ham Lane, CSM.

Construction of a Motor Control Centre (MCC) Kiosk and cake reception building at existing sewage treatment works.

To support now the access track is being built subject to an undertaking that all vehicles are to use the track once open.

(2) 4/38/17/0205 Junction 25, M5, Taunton, SCC had written advising that the following planning application would go before its Regulation Cttee on 8th Feb but had then subsequently deferred it to a later date; Construction of a new road scheme including the widening and enlargement of Junction 25 roundabout, the widening of Toneway over approx. 200m length from J.25, the construction of a new roundabout to the SouthWestern corner of the Gateway Park & Ride site and the construction of linking sections of road to J.25 and the A358/Ruishton Lane junction, junction alterations, provision of pedestrian and cyclist facilities and associated street furniture on land at Junction 25, M5, Taunton.

(3) Planning - CSM. Neighbourhood Plan. The Clerk advised the Section 14 consultation period had now closed having been completed on 2nd Feb. A drop in had taken place in the Village Hall Cttee Room on Friday 8th Dec (2pm to 6pm) and on Saturday 9th Dec (9.30am to noon) and unmanned displays had been in the Village Hall entrance and Baptist Church Hall until 2nd Feb. Letters had also been emailed to all the statutory bodies as identified by TDBC, local employers, residents who had replied to the village survey and anyone who had submitted a planning application in the Parish in the past year. Details are also available to view or download from the website www.creechstmichael.net/NHP/ and reminders and announcements posted on the village facebook site. A report summarising the responses was now expected next week from WYG and this would be distributed to PCllrs and the NP Panel ahead of their next meeting on the 20th February and he asked PCllrs that he receive comments ahead of the mtg. TDBC had responded making a number of points including suggesting that a Community Action plan be included and objective evidence be submitted to support the green wedge designation of the north of CSM. It was decided to ask the Plan Panel to draft a first version of the plan and to commission WYG to collect and submit the evidence for extending the green wedge.

The Strategic Env Assessment (SEA) and Habitat Regulation Assessment (HRA) commissioned by TDBC are underway and these are expected at the end of this month.

SG and the Clerk had met again with Ruishton NH Planning Panel on the 30th Jan as part of our joint working with local PC’s. Ruishton are preparing a note of the meeting which will be distributed once received. The issues they raised are the same as for CSM with speeding and volume of traffic being their top priority too. Ruishton have just had their consultation results in and are now conducting a Housing Needs Survey. Ruishton are expecting developers to submit considerable housing applications post HE Ltd decision on the route for the A358/A303 (they prefer the pink route but with the orange route to a full junction on the M5). Ruishton is happy to advise on flood protection and asked if they can work on the detail of cycle and footways networks together. This was agreed to.

The Clerk also advised that he had submitted an application for ACV status for the field off Langaller Road. TDBC had advised that they are undertaking a review of their ACV policy and a decision would follow after its completion and had asked for more evidence of public use. This was reflected upon and felt difficult to provide beyond that already stated.

Action Clerk to circulate Sect 14 summary report from WYG and note of meeting with Ruishton NH Plan Panel on their receipt.

18/29. Finance. The draft minutes of the Finance Sub Ctte held on the 23rd January had been previously circulated.

(1) Cheque drawn since last meeting. Cheque no 284 amount £42.34 payable to B Gas for Pavilion Electricity supply 7th Dec -7th Jan 2018.

(2) Accounts authorised for Payment. The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments,

SR Altria (Clerks Jan Expenses) £73.30, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 2.1.18-28.2.18) £210,

Exmoor Luxury Loos (Toilet hire Dep for PIP) £321.60, Water2Business (Water Supply to Rec) 28.7.17-11.1.18) £11.04,

TDBC (Grass Cutting 17-18 season) £2088.19, John Miller (allotment field rent 4.9.17-3.9.18) £500.00, A Birch (reimb of costs for Fish n Chip/Bingo Senior Citizens Lunch) £812.46, 1610 Ltd (Dep for climbing wall at PIP18) £100, Comm Council for Somerset (Memb Fee 2018) £40.00, K Hutchings (Caretakers Expenses) £122.48.

(3) Invoices received but not paid; EDF (Rec Park Garage electricity for Oct-Jan agreed with EDF to cancel), British Gas (Electricity at Rec Park pavilion electricity (disputed and referred to ombudsman for decision £90.00 and Opus (Electricity at Rec Park pavilion electricity) in credit £20.00.

(4) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Ruishton FC (Football 4th/18th/25th November) £60.00,

South West Lottery (Lottery proceeds) £7.00, CSM Allotment Society (Allotment Site Rent 4.9.17-3.9.18) £500.00 , Tone Youth FC (14th Jan u14&16s pitch fees). PIP18 Food Vendor Alfies Ices £100, Pizza Emporium £150.00, Layz Ricks £150 and Somerset Pig Roast £150.00. PIP Stalls (Selway/Lansdell/Thornton/Colemen/Clarke-Heathfield/£10cash) £60.00.

The Clerk advised he had also spoken to Western Power Distribution Plymouth about receiving a one off payment in lieu of annual payments but had been advised this was only on offer to private house owners.

(5) Approval to pay these on receipt of invoices (subject to 2 PCllrs signatures) was approved;

British Gas (Pavilion Electricity supply 7th Jan -7th Feb 2018, EDF (Rec Park Garage (Feb) £tba and PIP items authorised October and Dec PC mtg).

(6) Bank Reconciliation 17/18 for the period 1.4.17-31.12.17. (Papers circulated prior to mtg) The Council’s receipts for the period are £85,118.61 and the expenditure for the same period is £75,665.68 with an uncommitted balance of £22,000. Following acceptance the Chairman then signed the reconciliation and budget report as accurate.

(7) Provisions. Agreed to set aside £2,000 as a provision towards the cost of setting up a youth club as recommended by Finance Sub Cttee from the uncommitted balance.

(8) Budget 18/19. (Papers circulated prior to mtg). Following the PC decision at its last meeting to increase its precept by 6% the Clerk presented a revised draft budget as had been requested. This provided for inflation, the cessation of grant from TDBC, o drawing on balances but lower figures set aside for the rec park improvements and for the youth club projects. The budget was agreed and the Chairman then signed the reconciliation and budget report as accurate.

(9) Grant request. A request from Life Education was considered. It was agreed to consult the Headteacher before making a decision.

Action. The Clerk to speak to Headteacher, CSM School and report to March mtg.

(10) Internal Auditor. It was agreed to reappoint Bryan Howe as the internal auditor on the same terms for the year.

18/30. Party in the Park 14th July 2018. AB reported that the Fish and Chip Bingo event for senior citizens had gone very well and he thanked all that had helped including the School children. A letter of thanks had been received from the school for their unexpected fish and chips suppers. Plans are advanced and a further meeting is to be held on Friday to progress PIP18. The Clerk reported he had submitted the bid for gazebos and tables.

18/31. Rec Park. SG advised that a meeting would be held to examine how best to take a new pavilion and improvements forward and the Clerk suggested that this would be helpful in that plans can then be reported at the APM and reminded the PC would need to be spent before Nov 2019. IW highlighted the need for the NH Plan to be in line with what was wanted. Action. SG to arrange meeting.

18/32. Highways.

(1). Defects reported. Tree growing into the culvert o/s the Allotment site, Action. Clerk to report.

(2). Hyde Lane Crossing. PCllrs considered three options for the siting a crossing in Hyde Lane (SCC Highways

Option report and maps previously circulated) and agreed to recommend option A;a crossing directly opposite the school.

(3) A358/A303 duelling. To note the additional meeting with HE Ltd to take place on 12th Feb. Public and press are welcome to speak but during the actual presentation by HE Ltd the room will be closed at their insistence. It was noted HE Ltd have a programme of public briefings between 20th Jan and 21st Feb at which Parishioners are welcome.

Highways England Ltd had launched their second round of consultation on the 16th January and the Chair and Clerk had attended. Materials provided had been circulated. The SCC deadline for the PC and/or community to input into their decision making is 15th Feb so the PC meeting should aim to make a decision at its meeting on the 12th February.

18/33. Footpaths/RofW. Defects. Fred A’Court, the Parish Footpaths Volunteer had sent his monthly report (circulated prior to the meeting) for which he was thanked. The surface of the footpath on a raised section of St Michaels Rd under railings is in need of cleaning. SG highlighted the footpath over the old golf course has a difficult gate to access and suggested was in need of replacement. Barbra Squires of West View had asked for street lighting. The Clerk reminded PCllrs that SCC St Lighting had asked the residents years ago if they wanted Lighting and had been told a clear NO at that time but he would refer the request to street lighting to consider. A similar request had been forwarded some months ago.

Action. The Clerk to report defects and request for lighting in West View.

18/34. Matters to be carried forward. Taunton Transport Plan and APM arrangements.

18/35. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press from this point on the grounds that personal information is to be discussed.

The meeting was closed at 9.20pm.

Future Meetings;

An additional PC meeting (closed to the public) to meet with Highways England Ltd will take place on 12th Feb 7pm.

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 5th March and 9th April at 7pm.

The next CSM Neighbourhood Plan meeting is to take place on 20th February 7pm.

All meetings to be held in the Village Hall lower Cttee Room. (If VHall building works commence upstairs Cttee room)

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net