/ Parish Council / Minutes / 5th March 2018



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 5th March 2018

In the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings, (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, Y Guest, D Knight, K Reed, S Harris, G Lucas, and I Wright, (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill.


One member of the public attended.


18/42. Chairs Welcome. The Chair welcomed all.


18/43. Public Speaking. Brenda Brighton advised she was upset how the request that Lynn Gates and herself had made has been recorded and whilst she aware the minute accurately reflected the discussion at the 8th January (item 18/4 (3) first sentence) PC meeting she asked that the original request they had made be recorded. It was agreed that the PC had received a request from Lynn Gates and Brenda Brighton “to rescind John Read's membership of the CSM Neighbourhood Plan Panel in view of his breaching the Code of Conduct, by which he is bound as a subcommittee member, in that he failed to declare his Directorship of Chester Commercials and interest in the Gladman Planning Application”. The Clerk reconfirmed that John Read had declared his interests. At the PC meeting it had been decided to retain J Reads membership and to grant a dispensation to enable him to participate.


18/44. Apologies. PCllrs P Brown and C Sampson sent their apologies and the reasons given were accepted.

TDBCllr D Durdan.

18/45. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. SH declared an interest in item 18/49 (18/2) on the Allotments and did not take part in the discussion or decision. (2) Declaration of Interest Membership of the Neighbourhood Panel/Dispensation. See item 18/43 above.

18/46. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised;

(1) Snow. That it had been a busy week with 14,000 miles gritted since last Thursday with 1800 tonnes of salt. Care Staff and Childrens Services had managed well and all 21 marriages/civil partnerships that wished to had proceeded.

(2) Ofsted report into SCC Childrens Services: Following the recent Ofsted rating of 'Requires Improvement to be Good', the seven point improvement programme is now being updated and amended to reflect the recommendations. This will clearly set out the milestones required to reach 'Good'.

(3) Family Support Service: The decision to deliver SCC's new Family Support Service have now been formally made. The aim is to develop integrated Family Support Services with the vital Health Visiting service (already commissioned by SCC) being brought in house next year. As a result SCC are working to ensure services are provided where they are needed when they are needed, concentrating money on frontline staff and not on buildings. Communities will also be supported by SCC to be more resilient and develop further voluntary activity. Further information can be found by contacting publichealth@somerset.gov.uk

(4) Secondary School Admissions: 97.5 per cent of children have been offered a place at one of their top three secondary school preferences, a slight increase on last year's figures of 97.17. In total 93.5 per cent received their 1st preference, an increase on last year's figures of 92.32.

(5) Single use plastics: In late February the County Council unanimously agreed to begin to move towards the withdrawal of all Single Use Plastics across it's sites from Nov.

(6) National College for Nuclear: The NCN, opened on the 7th February is providing nuclear training facility, including a virtual reality environment; a reactor simulator and computer equipped training rooms, recreation and collaboration space, sports facilities and student accommodation. Bridgwater and Taunton College are the principle delivery agency, supported by their Energy Skills and Advanced Engineering centre’s.

(7) Libraries Consultation. The libraries consultation continues runs to 22nd April http://somersetlibraries.co.uk/consultation/

(8) Somerset Road Safety Strategy: The consultation continues to run until 8th March. http://www.somersetconsuits.org.uk/consults.ti/systemlhome

(9)Volunteer drivers - SCC need more volunteer drivers across the county to help people get to medical appointments, day care center's, schools etc. Drivers need to be over 18, have a four-door car, a current driving license and commit to as little as one hour per week. Mileage expenses reimbursed at up to 5Op per mile. www.somersetvolunteer.co.uk

(10) Home from hospital sooner - Home First, is SCC's health and social care initiative which frees up hospital beds. Although the numbers of people being admitted to local hospitals has increased significantly, the number of people facing unnecessary delays in leaving hospital has reduced by 60 per cent on the same time last year. As soon as someone no longer needs medical support in hospital, Home First allows them to leave hospital rather than waiting on the ward for care assessments and rehabilitation planning.

(11) Fostering & Adoption. SCC are holding a 'design a poster' competition for 'uniformed' organisations across Somerset (Guides, Brownies, Scouts, etc.) to help promote an urgent push for foster carer recruitment in 'Foster Care Fortnight'. The winner will receive a £250 voucher to spend on outdoor equipment and their design used as a fostering poster online in social media. Further details from Caroline Cook on CZCook@Somerset.gov.uk

(12) Safe Route to School (Hyde Lane). SH asked DF when this would be built. DF undertook to make enquires.


18/47. District Councillors’ Report.

The Clerk had previously forwarded to PCllrs two emails DD had provided as his report in his absence. The first entitled Revocation, Restricted Roads and 40mph Speed Limit Order 2018 revokes the County Council of Somerset (A3088 Priory Avenue, A38 Toneway, A358 Hankridge and Henlade) Order 2013 and the second included a copy of the SINePost e-newsletter which is produced by the Somerset Intelligence team at SCC as part of its role in collating, analysing and disseminating data and research. Highlighted • Jobs Density: There are estimated to be the equivalent of 0.86 jobs for every Somerset resident aged 16-64, marginally higher than the national average rate. • Rough Sleepers: The number of people sleeping rough in Somerset has increased mirroring a national increase. • Domestic Energy: Nearly 1 in 20 Somerset households now have photovoltaic (solar energy) installation, with highest rates in West Somerset. • Child Obesity: Proportions of Reception age and Year 6 children in Somerset measured as severely obese are below national averages.


18/48. Minutes of the 5th February Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/49. Matters arising from the minutes of the 5th February Mtg.

The Clerk reported;

18/20. Buses. The Clerk confirmed he had rung First Bus (tel 211180) to enquire what route the No 29 bus would take whilst the road at Durston is closed for relaying but had been advised First Bus had yet to decide. He had informed Mrs Winchester and once the information was available ensured details were circulated on the village facebook site and that a notice was put in the Bus Shelter in Hyde Lane. The road closure is expected to be completed by 9th.

18/2. Allotments. The Clerk advised that whilst there was agreement on the rent for the Allotments between the Society and the Landowner for four years agreement had not been reached on the fifth year. The Allotment Society had since asked for the PC to retain its central role and to help resolve the impasse. It was noted that the first years rent had been paid. It was decided that either the lease be limited to a four year period or if the lease is to be for five years then the fifth year should include an agreed inflation increase.

Action. The Clerk to ask the Society and Landowner which they prefer and to seek and document the two agreements.

18/5(1)/17/204. Strategic Housing land availability assessment (SHLAA). TDBCllr D Durdan had referred the PC request to have the SHLAA updated at its next review (to ensure that the field on the Langaller Road was no longer endorsed as potentially developable) to TDBCs (RB) but as no answer had been received DD is chasing this up again.

Action. DD to ask TDBC (RB) to reply.

18/6 (8) M5 Tunnel The Clerk advised that Highways had not yet been in touch regarding taking forward the idea of using the unused tunnel at Langaller for pedestrians.

Action. Clerk to now to follow up with Highways.

16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.

17/220 (9) Fly Tipping. He had informed Planning Enforcement that materials were being dumped in a field off Long Lane (RofW10/29) Langaller and planning enforcement and environment protection had been asked to take action.

Planning enforcement had visited the site.

Action. Clerk to update an update on this matter.

16/58. Over grown vegetation on TDBC owned Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. A further site meeting had taken place on the 14th Feb involving TDBC (DLO), Canal Society, DD, SH and the Clerk. It was noted that some improvements was evident and in particular paths had been cleared and vegetation cut back on the public side of the fence and a tree stump had been ground out. Further progress on cutting the bankside weed by the DLO is required though it was accepted that this would be achieved over time and as the footpath was deteriorating at one point was in

imminent need of attention. Other points identified included asking Larkfleet the arrangements for clearing their bank and fencing it, ensuring their path join the existing path and what regular maintenance arrangements will be once they theve left the site. The Clerk has also reported that the drains are blocked to Env Agency and WW.

Action. Clerk to brief CS and to follow issues up with DLO/Larkfeet/WW and EA.

17/125 Dog Bins. The Chairman had identified two sites for the bin and is now to establish the land owner’s permission.

Action. The Chairman to get permission to site, the Clerk to await Chairman’s advices and then ask DLO to install.

17/207. Defibulator’s. The Chair is in the process of replacing the backboards in the Telephone Boxes. The Clerk to obtain quotations from electricians.

17/224 (5) Larkfleet Grant Fund. The Clerk reported he had submitted the adult safeguarding policy to Cambs Community Foundation that manage the Larkfleet Fund in support of the PC bid and is now awaiting their decision.

Action. The Clerk to make enquiries when a decision could be expected.

17/228. “Missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way. FA’C had asked the Canal Society as owners of the “missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way

if they would surface it. The Canal Society had advised that they did not have the money. FA’C suggested that the PC offer 50% of the cost and that the £200 PiP had allocated to footpaths be part funding. The PC decided to get two quotes and reconsider the suggestion at their April meeting.

Action. The Clerk to obtain quotations for work and to place the matter on the April agenda.

17/232. Creech St Michael Website. KR had agreed to put in an appeal in the Creech News calling for volunteers to help identify, collect and upload content timely on a voluntary basis and this was in the spring edition.

18/17 (4) Hopkins Field Fencing. David Wilson Homes had done as requested repairs to the fencing but Lynn Gates had reported to them that the repairs done by their contractors were poor and had highlighted that as the fence was on private land she had questioned the ongoing maintenance arrangements. LG had been advised that this would be placed in the hands of a maintenance company. GL advised at the rear of his property the fence is beyond the boundary.

Concern was raised about the surfacing of the road and pavement in Hopkins Field and as they had yet to be formally

adopted the Clerk was asked to contact DWH and ask them to address these soonest.

Action. Clerk to contact DWH and ask them to complete the roads and footpath surfacing.


18/50. Minutes of the 12th February Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


18/51. Matters arising from the minutes of the 12th February Mtg. The Clerk reported;

A358/A303 duelling. The Clerk confirmed that the PC decision had been communicated to Highways England Ltd and SCC ahead of their deadlines and the HE would be invited to the planned meeting with SCC Highways (see item 18/56(3) below.


18/52. Planning. (1). The following planning application was considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

7/2/2018

14/18/0002

Charlton House Farm, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield; replacement of dwelling with relocation of access.

To support.

(2) 4/38/17/0205 Junction 25, M5, Taunton, SCC had written advising that the following planning application would go before its Regulation Cttee on 8th March; Construction of a new road scheme including the widening and enlargement of Junction 25 roundabout, the widening of Toneway over approx. 200m length from J.25, the construction of a new roundabout to the SouthWestern corner of the Gateway Park & Ride site and the construction of linking sections of road to J.25 and the A358/Ruishton Lane junction, junction alterations, provision of pedestrian and cyclist facilities and associated street furniture on land at Junction 25, M5, Taunton.

(3) Planning - CSM. Neighbourhood Plan. WYG had issued the Sect 14 consultation feedback report (on NH Plan v5) (circulated previously to PCllrs) this explained in detail the comments that had been received and WYGs recommendation against each. The Clerk advised that there were not a significant number of consultation responses – which reflected the experience of the two day public consultation event held. The report was interpreted as the plan having broad support, particularly as most of the responses received (including statutory bodies) are supportive – though Nat England had still to respond. The most detailed response comes from Gladman. Persimmons are supportive and TDBC have produced a list of points to consider (many restated from earlier points made at meetings). These had all been considered by the NH Plan Panel and with few changes the report had been accepted by the Panel. The PC agreed the report subject to ensuring that TDBC requests for clearer Mapping are included.


The Clerk advised that WYG had suggested and the Panel supported that the plan has some stronger wording to reflect that CSM is planning positively for growth i.e. that the urban development is going to take place and therefore that the plan does not seek to designate further land for housing and that we welcome the new community. It was noted that WYG plan to issue a v6 plan for signoff ahead of the 9th April PC meeting. WYG are currently writing a “green wedge policy” and this will be circulated on receipt (expected 6th March) by the Clerk for comments before 12th March. There will then be further wide consultation on the Green Wedge Policy and Housing Needs Survey over estimated 2/3 week on this (by email/facebook/website). The aim is to get feedback to WYG so that amended v6 can be issued and read ahead of it being signed off at the 9th April meeting. Once approved PC will ask TDBC to undertake the Sect 15 formal consultation. It was noted that once sect 15 consultation commences we can't make any changes so that version will have the pictures and plans taken in it.


The Strategic Env Assessment (SEA) and Habitat Regulation Assessments (HRA) are underway by TDBC consultants (at TDBC cost). Their consultants had already advised that in their opinion a full environmental assessment is not required. Responses from Historic England, Natural England and Env Agency expected at the end of the month have yet to arrive but its anticipated the three statutory Consultees will confirm that a strategic environmental assessment is not required.


The Clerk advised that as requested at the last meeting he had asked the NH Plan Panel if it would produce a draft Community Action Plan. This request had been agreed to and a future Panel meeting will be held to undertake this. A high level CAP will be included in the Plan so that the CAP itself can be developed and funds allocated later (rather than a finalised CAP be an integral part of the NH Plan).


The Panel had suggested that a NH Plan progress update presentation was required from the Panel and WYG for the Ann Parish Mtg. This was agreed. The note of meeting with Ruishton NH Plan Panel had been circulated upon receipt.


18/53. Finance.

(1) Cheque drawn since last meeting. None.

(2) Accounts authorised for Payment. The Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, Clerks Feb Expenses £119.37 and Nigel’s Windows Cleaning Co (Bus Shelters 15.2.18) £75.00.

(3) Invoices received but not paid; British Gas Pavilion Electricity Supply (£135) referred to ombudsman

and Opus Pavilion Gas supply (12.1.18- 11.2.18 New supplier) 50p as the account which was £20 in cr is now £19.50cr.

(4) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting;

South West Lottery (Lottery proceeds) £9.50, Ruishton FC (Football 2nd/16th December) £60.00, HMRC (VAT Reclaim 1.4.17-31.12.17) £7,657.67 and PIP18 PIP Stalls (£10 each from Selway/Lansdell/Thornton/Colemen/Clarke-Heathfield/Nuffield Health) £60.00, PIP18 (tbc) Food Vendors Pizza Emporium £150.00, Hot Sausage Co £150.00 and The Pancake Pod £150.00.

(5) Approval to pay these on receipt of invoices (subject to 2 PCllrs signatures) was approved;

Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security (28.1.18-28 .2.18 £tba, British Gas (Pavilion Electricity supply 7th Jan -7th Feb 2018)£tba and PIP items as authorised at October and Dec PC mtgs.

(6) Grant request. A request from Life Education was considered. The School had provided information on the event and the background to the request. It was decided not to support with a grant on this occasion.

Action. The Clerk to inform the Headteacher, CSM School and Life Education.


18/54. Party in the Park 14th July 2018. AB reported that the arrangements are proceeding well. A meeting of the Safety Advisory Group will be attended in May. A discussion on the costs and booking of first aiders took place The Clerk reported he had submitted the bid for gazebos and tables and as a decision was awaited he would make enquiries of when that could be expected. AB circulated a budget for the event highlighting that additional security, lighting and staging would be in place this year and that the ticket cost for teenagers had been increased. The PC agreed the budget.

18/55. Rec Park. SG advised that thought was being escalated on what improvements and how best to take a new pavilion forward and that a meeting was in the process of organised.

Action. SG to arrange a meeting.


18/56. Highways.

(1) Defects reported. The Clerk confirmed that he had reported the Tree growing into the culvert o/s the Allotment site.

(2) Hyde Lane Crossing. At the last meeting PCllrs had considered three options for the siting of a crossing in Hyde Lane (SCC Highways having produced an Option report and maps which had been previously circulated) and agreed to recommend option A; a crossing directly opposite the school. SCC had responded asking if the PC would like Option A and B (a flat top crossing opp West View) as well if that could be provided. This was agreed subject to the speed control being a round rather than flat top. A second request to learn whether any of the options were unacceptable to the PC was deferred until after a safety audit has taken place.

(3) Road Safety. In the recent discussions with SCC Highways concerning the plans to improve the Creech Castle Junction, the Toneway and M5 J25 the PC had made the case using HE traffic count data of the need to take action along N/End and St Michael’s Road ahead of the works proceeding. It had been agreed that a walk through the village would be held to ascertain the issues. A number of dates had been offered and it was decided PB and DK would attend.

Action. The Clerk to arrange with SCC Highways the walk through of CSM.

(4) Hopkins Field. See item 1849 (18/17 (4)) above. Concern on surfaces/need to complete the roads and pavements.

(5) Blocked drains. Hyde Lane and opp the Bell (os Old School House). Concern raised over these drains being blocked

Action. Clerk to report to SCC Highways.

18/57. Footpaths/RofW. Defects. Fred A’Court, the Parish Footpaths Volunteer had sent his monthly report (circulated prior to the meeting) for which he was thanked. The Clerk confirmed that he had reported the slippery surface on the raised section of footpath in St Michaels Rd (under railings) to SCC Highways. FA’G had been snowed off taking a look at the difficult gate to access on the old golf course but would shortly. The Clerk had been informed by SCC Street Lighting that there was no money for new street lighting due to budget cuts. SG had informed Barbra Squires of West View who had asked for street lighting.


See also item 18/49 (17/228) above regarding the “Missing Link” on the approach to canal bridge 26 at the bottom end of Ryesland Way.


18/58. Annual Parish Meeting April 27th Friday 2018. PCllrs considered a report from the Clerk on the speakers and agreed promotional arrangements, to include an update on the NH Plan by WYG and NH Panel, to ask TDBC Planners again to update on Urban Ext and for the Chair to include an update on the Rec Park plans in his report in addition to the already confirmed speakers from Somerset Sports Partnership, Wessex Water and the Inland Drainage Board.


18/59. Open Access Youth Club. The Clerk had spoken to SCC Youth Officers who had placed an advert to explore if there are alternative providers for running an open access club professionally. Two interested companies had made contact and he suggested that the panel (CS/KR/Judith Hodge/Clerk) meet them in order to ascertain what they could offer. No commitment to be given but to take stock and report. As funding is an issue he had submitted a bid to SCC asking for funding and now expected their decision at the end of march. A discussion took place on the wether it ws better to meet young people needs by replacing the pavilion. It was noted that the young people themselves had responded highly that they wanted a youth club in the NH Plan Survey. It was agreed to proceed with meeting providers.

Action. The panel to meet the two youth providers and report back.


18/60. General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) is to take effect in the UK from 25 May 2018. It replaces the existing law (the Data Protection Act 1998) and gives individuals more rights and protection regarding how their personal data is Used. Parish Councils must comply with its requirements. The new GDPRegs places a greater emphasis on transparency, openness and the documents needed to kept in order to show that the PC is complying with the legislation along with new reporting requirements and increased fines and penalties and will require the new responsibility of Data Protection Officer. Guidance and training is expected from SALC shortly.


18/61. Matters to be carried forward. It was noted that the promised consultation on the Taunton Transport Plan had yet to commence.


18/62. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press from this point on the grounds that personal information is to be discussed.


The meeting was closed at 9.25pm.


Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 9th April and 14th May (PC AGM) at 7pm.

The next CSM Neighbourhood Plan meeting date has yet to be confirmed (see website for update) 6.30pm.

These meetings to be held in the Village Hall lower Cttee Room. (If VHall building works commence upstairs Cttee room)

The Annual Parish Meeting is to be held in the Main Hall on 27th April. Doors 7pm for 7.30pm start.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net