/ Parish Council / Minutes / 6th January 2020



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 6th January 2020

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, N Davidson, L Gates, Y Guest, and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, SWTCllr D Durdan. Five Members of the Public attended.


20/1. Chairman’s Welcome. SG welcomed all.


20/2. Apologies. PCllrs S Hutchings (Chair) whose apologies were accepted and A Gunstone;


20/3. Declarations of Interest. (1) Declarations of Individual Members. SG regarding Planning item 20/7 (SG did not speak or vote on the item). ND re Canal Carpark (though this was not discussed), (2) At its meeting on 2nd December 2019 the PC granted a dispensation to all Councillors in order to enable all Councillors to take part in the discussion on the precept at this meeting (see agenda item 20/11).


20/4. Vacancy on the PC. The Clerk advised that he had advertised the vacancy and as a result a resident had shown interest in the role. She will attend the next PC meeting to observe. (Anyone interested in becoming a PCllr should speak to the Clerk soonest).


20/5. SWTC Councillors’ Report. (1) DD advised that SWTC had endorsed the CSM Neighbourhood Plan.

(2) The Clerk advised that the Canal Trust had not cut the canal bank vegetation as had been promised to the SWTC Engagement Lead. He asked DD if he would make enquiries of SWTC Estates Officers to get confirmation (as had been previously advised) that SWTC owned the land between the canal and fencing at Crufts Meadow.

Action. DD to make enquiries of SWTC Estates as to ownership of land at Crufts Meadow Canalside.


20/6. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised that;

(1) Last Reminder on School Places: For those applying for their first school place, the deadline for applications is 15th January - further details can be found at https://www.somerset.gov.uk/education-and-families/apply-to-start-school/  

(2) Climate Emergency Strategy Events: Public events to discuss the creation of Somerset’s Councils first Climate Emergency Strategy in order to identify ways to work towards being carbon neutral by 2030 and adapt to predicted climate change impacts will be run by the Somerset Climate Action Network is to be held 10am – 4pm 18 January Taunton Library, TA1 3XZ.

(3) National Award and Recognition: The Somerset team that provides advice, support and training to governors, clerks and trustees in schools, colleges and other education providers has won the prestigious Chartered Governance Institute (ICSA) Service Provider of the Year Award.

(4) Specialist Support for Dementia: Four new grass root projects have come on stream thanks to grant support from SCC. SCC is looking to invest more than half a million pounds in total to kick-start and extend projects and groups that run day-time activities for people with dementia and provide respite for their unpaid carers. This is on top of its major spend on support for people with dementia which includes around £3.5m in special residential care, £4.5m in nursing care, plus a portion of the £14m it spends every year on homecare. (i) Age UK is launching the first charity-led Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST) project with two qualified Somerset practitioners offering the therapy. (ii) Take Art is setting up a two-year programme of creative day time activities that provide dance and wordplay sessions (iii) Ark at Egwood, based at Merriott, provides land-based activities as the therapeutic use of outside space and animals and (iv) The Find Your Voice Momentum projects will bring together people in music and movement group work across 39 ten-week-courses.

(5) Volunteering in 2020: Somerset residents looking for a New Year’s resolution would be warmly welcomed to join the growing army of volunteers in the county. There are roles to suit almost everyone, from supporting the local library to driving people to appointments or supporting the Duke of Edinburgh Award. All is needed is a little bit of spare time; lots of enthusiasm and a 2020 vision to give something back to the community. Opportunities can be found at www.volunteering.somerset.gov.uk

(6) Robot Technology in the classroom: SCC is taking a lead in the use of robots to help poorly children back into the classroom. The council has invested in 50 AV1 robots to support children who can’t be in school – whether it’s because they are sick or overcoming physical or mental health challenges. The AV1 robots take the place of the child in the classroom, letting them see, hear and contribute to lessons while they are out of school at home or in a hospital bed. Schools and colleges pay a rental fee that covers running costs with any ‘profit’ being reinvested in more of the robots.


20/7. Planning Application. 14/19/0036 16 Rockett’s Cottages, Hyde Lane, Erection of 1 No. dwelling with garage and associated works in the garden. The PC considered and discussed this planning application with the applicant. The PC agreed to endorse the planning panel’s recommendation not to support the application as it contravenes a number of SWTC Planning policies. A concern was also raised that the required planning notice had not been in place for the required period (required to ensure residents are aware of the application to build a bungalow and to make representations should they choose to). This was acknowledged.

Action. The Clerk to write to applicant to explain the various SWTC policies the application does not comply with.


20/8. Right of Way Accessibility. Having had representations from two landowners highlighting the difficulties they had experienced as a result of dogs not being under control and the apparent difficulties some dog owners have with stiles the PC discussed how it might assist both groups. DF had advised that SCC offered contributionary grants 25% grant to land owners to replace their stiles with more accessible solutions. It was agreed to set up a budget of £500 per year to fund upto 4 grants of £125 to those landowners who were replacing their stiles and has already secured a SCC grant. The PC “top up” grants would enable (approx.) half the cost of gate to be met. This year’s budget was reserved to the two landowners who had approached the PC.

Action. Clerk to advise the two landowners of grant opportunity.


20/9. Minutes of the 2nd December Mtg (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the 4th November meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


20/10. Matters arising from the minutes of the 2nd December. The Clerk reported that;

19/231 (5) Arundells Way road sign. To be replaced as one side is spelt correctly but the other has just one L.


19/210 Road Safety. SWTC engagement lead to organise a walk through the village by the SWTC Portfolio Holder Mike Rigby. No change.


19/212 (2) RofW T10/20 Langaller. Crops had grown over the RofW close to the motorway. Footpaths volunteers raised with SCC RofW. Landowner has agreed to reinstate and not replicate in the spring.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. The Clerk having reminded RofW that no reply been received had raised with HE representatives at a meeting on 24 9 19. As a result, they reassured the Clerk as at the 4 10 19 this is still being actively considered. A reply from HE is still awaited but this was also referred to Persimmon to pursue on 28/11.

No change.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. SG has had design proof and has ordered the no dog signs.


19/29 and 19/216(8) Notice boards. PC agreed the Arundells board was in need of attention. Clerk had shared details of Woolmer Fitzpatrick’s noticeboards and prices for a range of new recycled plastic Boards. Agreed that the garage noticeboard be removed and resited on new posts to replace that at Arundells and Clerk to ask Gill Underhay if a noticeboard could be put up on her wall alongside the red defibulator box. Gill advises she has a noticeboard which she will put up on her wall and the PC can then make use of it.


19/216(8) Notice boards. The legs of the noticeboard at Ham are showing signs of rot (2 years max life), the Ham dog bin needs a repaint and the noticeboards at Arundells (see item 19/214 (19/24)) and Creech Heathfield (locks) need attention. No decisions have been taken.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme. Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers. No change.


19/161. Technology. Village Hall Cartwright Rm/PC. SH/PB/CC/Clerk had met with Richard Harris and Derrick King of the VHall Committee plans to install Wi-Fi and a hearing loop were welcomed and a smart speaker is planned for the main hall. As either a wall mounted smart screen or projector is envisaged for the Cartwright Room the merits of these were discussed. Further discussions are to take place. No change.


19/163. Website Bios. PCllrs were reminded to submit a Bio to the Clerk. 2 have since but are not on website.

No change.


19/178. Village Hall Staging. CC has in hand to be removed.


19/190(5) Rockett’s Cottages. A parent continues to park outside the Cottages which are owned by SWTC. Neighbour has reported to Police who have spoken to the individual. School have also engaged. It is for SWTC to take action if persists or Police if abuse is given to residents. Clerk has asked DWH when the car park at rear of School will be released to the school to use and advised this is part of handover matters with solicitors. No change.


19/216(7) Risk Assessments. It was agreed that CC would take the lead on developing further Risk Assessments/Register/ Method statements. No change.


19/219. Canal Carpark. The Legal docs for the purchase had been received from Solicitors and reviewed in detail at the Finance Sub Cttee. The PC are being offered the best possible title. Clerk had sought clarification from the PC Solicitor on some points and she has put these to SCC’s Solicitors. No change.


Ham Village. A request had been submitted to SCC for No HGV Signs. SCC advised the engineer is off until Jan.


19/239(7) Assets - Sale of Conference Equipment. Following the decision to sell on the 2/12 the Clerk has asked CC for some pictures so he could sell on Ebay.


19/240(2) Cooks Close - Dumped cars on Highways land. DF had explained that the cars are not dumped as someone locally owns them. It was noted that the cars were largely incomplete and in poor state and should not be allowed to remain as they are. DF confirmed SCC are addressing this. Clerk has written to the DVLA.


19/243. Annual Parish Meeting April 24th Friday 2020. No change (updated community contacts list awaited).


19/245. Picking up litter The Clerk has written a letter of thanks to the villagers picking up litter.


19/234(20) Ham Village. A request had been submitted to SCC for No HGV Signs. No decision has yet been received.


19/159. Fire Service. The Fire consultation outcome report has been published and circulated. The CFO has still recommended that Taunton lose its 3rd Appliance (but not its crew) with cover being provided by Wellington and Bridgwater. The Fire Service Board decision is now awaited.


19/243. Annual Parish Meeting April 24th Friday 2020. The format of the APM should consist of local community groups advertising themselves and Parishioners being able to see what was on offer in the village and an opportunity to meet their PCllrs was agreed. The Clerk to invite community groups once an update community contacts list has been completed.


Youth Panel. The next meeting is on 21st Jan 6pm Village Hall Cartwright Room.


20/11. Budget 2020/21. PCllrs considered the Councils 3 year forward budget in detail along with its CIL monies and balances before setting its precept and budget for the forthcoming (draft papers having been previously circulated and discussed at the 2nd Dec meeting) year at £56,172.00 (an increase of £3p.a for a band ‘D’ home) in order to agree a balanced budget. It was noted that pressures across the whole of local government are likely to require continual future year increases in Council Tax and that any new demands arising during the year would not be provided for. The PC also decided to vire £2,000 to the website budget and £800 to salaries budget in this financial year.

Action. The Clerk to inform TDBC of the precept.


20/12. Rec Park. (1) Update. The Chairman of local Astrology group attended to thank the PC for a recent use of the Rec Park and asked if the group could use it 2/3 times a year. This was agreed to. It was agreed to replace the surfacing under two aerials runways launch sites. Authority to proceed delegated to the Clerk and Chairman. CC to replace the rubber stoppers on u3 play area gate.

Action Clerk to get quotes for flooring and CC to repair u3 gate lock.


(2) Inspection. The Clerk had arranged as requested a independent assessment of the play equipment installation. This had identified a number of issues (all designated as low or very low risk) in addition to the works in the snagging list. It was agreed to advise the supplier and press for their correction and to receive the suppliers own installation inspection report. Age appropriate information for the equipment has been requested.


(3) Improvements Projects. (i) Fencing. The design for completing the fencing was agreed and that SG should obtain written quotations. (ii) Equipment Project. The Electrician had attended the site with YG in order to advise on operating costs. He had also suggested a load test at a cost of £45.This was agreed. As there are timers on the lights it was agreed to set the old MUGA lights to go off at 9pm. A new padlock to be purchased so the new MUGA can be locked until its use can be managed. It was agreed to replace the switch box and to add a warning notice. A meeting is to be held with SWTC Parks (SH/SG/YG/Clerk) to agree park maintenance and pitch use though it was recognised that levelling work cannot be undertaken until the spring and rolling is required.

(iii) Premises. Whilst the need to improve the accommodation was discussed no decisions were taken.

Action. SG to get fencing costs, Caretaker a padlock and the Clerk to book electrician and get quotes for maintenance costs from the lighting company and to take forward the replacement matting replacement. Rec Park panel to conclude determining arrangements for managing MUGA use for PC agreement.


20/13. Party in the Park. (1) Senior Citizens Chip Lunch is to take place on 24th January 2020 in the

Village Hall. 110 places have been booked. The School Children have been invited to talk to those attending. DF Caller. (2) PIP Event 18/7/2020 Update. SG advised that the next meeting is planned for 14th Jan 7.30pm at the Bell. All wishing to volunteer welcome to attend. The event this year will be an evening only event in order to avoid a clash with Ruishton’ s Village Day and in recognition of the absence of volunteers enabling a daytime schedule being organised and run.


20/14. Planning.(1) Applications. The following applications were considered and observations agreed;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

28/11/2019

14/19/0036

16 Rockett’s Cottages, Hyde Lane, Erection of 1 No. dwelling with garage and associated works in the garden

Not to support (See item 20/7 above).

17/12/2019

14/19/0040

Green Acres, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield. Variation of condition No2 of application 14/18/0025 (approved plans).

To support.

19/12/2019

14/19/0039


9 Mill Lane, CSM. Erection of a first-floor extension to the rear.


To support.

23/12/2019

14/19/0041

Unit 14 Creech Paper Mills, Mill Lane, Creech St Michael Erection of extension to the side and formation of additional first floor.

To support with recommendations to limit operating times due to adjacency to housing and to register concern over increasing traffic and acerbating the poor junction.

(2) Enforcement. SWTC had informed the PC of the following cases it is examing (i) Mill Lane – Crane Hire. To note SWTC decision to request a retrospective application from South West Crane Hire in order to regularise their use of the land (ii) 14/18/0015 The Bartons-Condition 16 states “The first-floor windows in the northern elevation of plot 3 shall be obscure glazed to a height of 1.7m above floor level and limited opening in a manner to be agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority prior to occupation. However, there is plain glass in two of the bedroom windows (bedrooms 3 and 5 on the plans) on the northern elevation, which will not, therefore, comply if not changed prior to occupation. (iii) 14/12/0043 Derham Close, The S106 agreement required the submission of a Public Open Space Man Plan, to be agreed by SWTC. This has not been submitted E/0227/14/19) (3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. To note that SWTC ‘made the plan’ (adopted it) on 3rd Dec 2019. SH/BB/Clerk had attended and thanked SWTC for their support and that the PC is looking forward to working to address the road safety and planning issues facing CSM together. (4) West Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. It was noted that there are difficulties getting dates agreed for two meetings of the joint panel to be held to consider SWTC master plan ahead of the SWTC Exec. In view of this it was decided that the Clerk should write to the Leader of SWTC expressing disappointment that the meeting had not been held earlier and that sufficient time be given to enable the PC to consider and respond to proposals. A useful meeting had been held with developers and minutes previously circulated. (5) SWTC Local Plan. SWTC are to consult on the Issues and Options docs from Mon 13th Jan to Mon 16th March. SWTC are also inviting comments on two docs which are needed to support and evidence the Local Plan: The Sustainability Appraisal; and the Habitats Regulations Assessment. This is the first consultation stage in the Local Plan process. The documents look at the key issues and draft objectives for the Local Plan, particularly around climate change and development needs over the next 20 years. SWTC will have the consultation info on their website and will contact directly those on our consultee database by email. The docs will be available to view at Deane House and Libraries. Consultant events are to be held incl Tauntons Orchard Shopping Centre – 6 Feb, 10am to 3pm. (Clerks note-since changed to Taunton Library 26th Feb 2-7pm)


20/15. Finance. (1) Bills to consider for payment; It was agreed to pay the Play Inspection Co (Post Installation Play Inspection 21 12 19) £390.00.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; SWTC (6th Reimbursement net of vat S106 monies for Rec Park works) £84,387.09, HMRC (VAT recovery for Nov 2019) £11,739.71, Somerset West Lottery £8.00.

(3) Payments made since last meeting; the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks December Exp’s £112.29 and other invoices received; Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security Rec Park 21 11- 24.12.19) £302.40, Sutcliffe’s Play Equipment (instalment 6 TTD £430,264.510) £101,264.51, EDF (Pavilion Elect) £30.00 EDF (Engine Shed) £10pcm, K Hutchings (Keys for lights at Rec Park) £10.05.

(4) Payments authorised for payment when received; Sutcliffe’s (Play Equip Works retention payment),

SCC/Porter Dodson Solicitors (Canal carpark purchase sum and legal costs), CYP (for Youth Club) £320 and 4

Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village (and further 4 Ham Road funded by WW). Those on annual list.

(5) Insurance Claim. The Clerk reported that settlement was expected the following week.

(6) Banking Update. The Lloyds Bank Mandate had been received, completed and was available for signing in order to increase those who can authorise online payments. A debit card has been obtained for SG for agreed PIP use with limit of £700 and no cash withdrawal. It was agreed to close the PIP Unity Acc. PIP income to be considered at next Finance Sub. As the Rec Park project payments are complete (bar retention) it was agreed to open a deposit account with Nationwide BS. A Direct Debit form for EDF to take the Engine shed electricity payments from the Lloyds Account was signed (presently from HSBC account).

Action. Clerk to take forward various banking actions.


20/16. Highways. (1) Defects or Issues to be reported /considered. It was noted a serious road traffic accident in which the driver has been hospitalised had taken place in Hyde Lane. The car had flipped but the cause was not yet known. Good wishes were expressed for the driver’s recovery.


20/17. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Defects/Issues. The report of the Parish Footpath volunteers had been circulated. (2) Accessible Gates. See item 20/8 above.


20/18. Carey Grove Park. The rearranged meeting with SWTC Estates took place on weds 4th Dec 2pm and whilst appeared positive the decision of SWTC is still awaited.


20/19. Website and standard email addresses for PC Emails. LG suggested that generic emails follow the format of name-pc@creechstmichael.net otherwise additional cost would have to be incurred. This was agreed to.

LG advised she had completed editing the existing website pages in preparation to upload and to go live with the new website asap. LG advised she had asked AB if he still wanted to maintain the site.


20/20. Document retention Policy. LG asked the PC to consider adopting the draft Policy that she had previously circulated. The Policy was agreed.


20/21. Correspondence. None


20/22. Items for the next meeting.

The meeting was closed at 9.30pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net


Future Meetings; The next CSM PC mtgs are on 3rd Feb and 2nd March 2020 at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall.