/ Parish Council / Minutes / 6th March 2017



 CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 6th March 2017

in the Lower Committee Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), S W Harris, D Knight, G Lucas and K Reed (Parish Councillors). Steve Altria (Clerk). SCClr D Fothergill, Nine members of the public attended.   

 

17/45. Chairs Welcome. SH began by welcoming all.

 

17/46. Public Speaking.  Three people asked to address the PC.

 

(1) Brenda Brighton advised that the narrow sloping footpath at the rear of Hopkins Fields was lethal and asked if scalpings could be laid and suggested it needed levelling up to footbridge. BB also asked if the planting at the junction of St Michaels Road and Ryesland Way could be cut back and the Clerk advised he had already requested TDBC as owners to do that.  Action. Clerk to inform the Parish Paths Liaison Officer and SCC Right of Way of the footpath concern.

 

(2) Mike Johns, Chairman, Taunton Model Engineers. MJ advised the PC that TME had received the two documents sent by the Parish Council Solicitors and advised that the terms presented in their view rendered the railway inoperable and TME’s occupation of Park untenable. MJ asked if the PC had taken into account the response from the Neighbourhood Plan Survey and asked what the results were of the survey. MJ asked if TME could address the Annual Parish Meeting as requested. The Clerk responded advising that the Council had heard his views and would consider his request to speak at the APM and that he would inform him of the Council’s decision shortly. See minute 17/57 (3) below.

 

(3) Gary and Debbie Thick explained that the siting of the new Bus Shelter on the A38 at Adsborough (Maypole side) partially blocked their vision when leaving their drive. The Clerk advised that the shelter had been sited on the pubic highway having got SCC Highway permission and he had therefore referred their concern to SCC Highways on receipt.

Action. It was agreed to remove the lower panels either end of the Shelter pending SCC Highways instructions. SH to remove panels and the Clerk to inform Neighbours.

 

17/47. Apologies. The Clerk advised that PCllr L Gates had resigned. Parish Councillors Y Guest, C Sampson and I Wright had sent their apologies and their reasons were accepted. TDBCllrs D Durdan and K Durdan sent their apologies.

 

17/48. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. No PCllr declared an interest.

 

17/49. Police. The Police despite being invited and confirming their intention to attend were not able to be present and no report was provided. Action. The Clerk to invite the Police to a future meeting.

 

17/50. TDBCllr R Habgood Portfolio Holder Planning Policy and Transportation. Despite being invited RH did not attend and no apology was provided. TDBCllr D Durdan had advised that as Portfolio Officer Cllr Habgood was unlikely to be able to attend as he would too be at the TDBC Firepool Mtg.

Action. The Clerk to invite the RH to a future meeting to discuss the naming of the urban development site.

 

17/51. Vacancies on the Parish Council. The Electoral Officer of TDBC had advised that ten Parishioners had partitioned for an election to be held to fill the two vacancies on the Parish Council and therefore an election would be held alongside the SCC elections in May. A poster asking for potential candidates to register would be issued shortly. The Officer had advised the Clerk that the cost to the Parish for the election would be upto £3000.

 

17/52.  County Councillors Report.

DF advised that;

(1) the Hyde Lane Crossing feasibility study should be available shortly.

(2) Sec School Places had been allocated with 92.7% getting their first choice of School and a further 4.9% their second place. 2.5% have appealed.

(3) Welcomed the Govt funding of £6.7m for improvement of Creech Castle Junction and the Toneway. PCllrs agreed.

(4) Get Online. Free tuition is available during the week at the Library.

(5) the enhancement plans for M5 J25 are expected to go before the SCC Regulations Cttee in July.

 

17/53. Minutes of the 6th February Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the public part of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

17/54. Matters arising from the minutes of the 6th February Mtg. The Clerk reported;

16/221. Flooding Sign.  In response to his request for a “flip over” flood warning sign on the road from Ham to North Curry (similar to that which already existed in the opposite direction) SCC Highways had advised that they had no budget for such signing and had suggested that a grant application for funding be made to CRISP (Community Resilience in Somerset). The Clerk advised he had submitted a funding request though he had noted that there was a requirement to have a Community Resilience Plan in place (noting CSM has no such plan or volunteer flood group).  

 

16/58.  Over grown vegetation on TDBC owned Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. The Clerk advised that following TDBC confirming that it does own the enclosed land adjacent to the canal he had chased TDBC officers again on cutting the vegetation. He had asked TDBCllr K Durdan to raise this as well and she had just secured a reassurance that the site would be cut within 4 weeks.

 

16/194 (4) Planning Enforcement. The Clerk advised he had reported the two premises which appear to be occupied without having planning permission; one at the bottom of Charlton Lane and the other a caravan alongside the A361but had yet to have any feedback from TDBC enforcement officers.

 

17/11 (3) Septic Tank Emptying. The Clerk reported Oneline Survey had emptied the Rec Park Septic tank in accordance with the decision taken to use them and it was agreed that the next empty would be just before the PIP event.  

 

17/13 (1) West View and North End junction. The Clerk advised he had reported to SCC Highways that the road was breaking up. SCC Highways had replied saying the road was deteriorating but had not yet reached the point of needing repair.

 

17/15 Annual Parish Meeting Friday 21st April 2017.  The Clerk explained he had sent invitations as instructed

 

17/16. (2) Charlton Manor. The Clerk advised he had referred to the listed building officer the electric gates and works to the garden at Charlton Manor and asked if this had been given permission. He had received a reply stating this had been referred to the enforcement officer and was now awaiting their advices.

 

17/38. Proposal to create a single council covering Taunton Deane and West Somerset. The Clerk confirmed he had written to Sec of State (DCLG) explaining the Council’s decision not to support the proposed merger.

 

17/55. Planning. (1) Planning Applications received. The following applications were considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Decision

0/02/2017

14/17/0003/LB

Old Ham Wharf Farm, Ham, CSM. Installation of satellite dish to the east elevation.

To support.

08/02/2017

14/17/0008

7 Powell Close, CSM. Erection of a single storey extension to the side and rear with alterations to the fenestration.

To support.

13/02/2017

14/17/0009

13 Dillons Road, CSM. Erection of a single storey extension to the rear.

To support.

(2) Infrastructure Round Table Discussion. SH advised that he had attended a meeting of Parish Councils reps on 14 February called by Rebecca Pow MP. PC Chairs had raised their concerns regarding the provision of infrastructure. There was a great deal of commonality in the issues raised including the need for a Junction 24a on the M5 at Walford.

 

(3) Strategic Employment Site, Henlade. TDBC held an informal public drop-in session on 1st March on their proposals to develop a SES at Henlade by way of issuing a Loc Dev Order. The Clerk had obtained copies of the plans and had circulated these prior to the meeting to PCllrs. It was agreed to write in response to the consultation highlighting that the plans did not include proposals for a scheme of local road safety works, the need to have the Creech Castle and J25 improvements completed prior to commencement of the SES build, the conflict this decision would have with proposed employment land at Walford and West Monkton (which is likely to lead to housing being built instead) and that the proposed footbridge should be essential not optional. Action. The Clerk to reply.

 

(4) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. (See the minutes of the CSM NH Plan Panel meetings of the 13th and 28th Feb). KR advised that the informal youth consultation had taken place on the 13th Feb and that some of the key needs stated are the need for an open access youth club, a concern over older age youths in the Rec Park using drink and or drugs, for a voice (youth parliament or similar), for more activities and safer roads. A meeting had also been held with Ruishton and Thornfalcon NH Plan Panel in order to ensure plans are aligned. KR advised that the panel is now looking at the responses to all the consultations undertaken as the next steps are to develop the plan and to feedback back and test understanding at the APM. Surveys of the children at the Primary School had taken place and the results are awaited and the Secondary School consultation is planned shortly. Lee Crowley had joined the panel and Andy Hays, Ann Oldham, Fred A’Court and John Read have been invited to join. Representation at the Garden City Status Conference on the 6th April at the Taunton Rugby Club was considered and it was agreed that the PC Chair and Clerk attend.

 

17/56. Accounts.

(1) Payments approved; Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks Feb Expense’s £119.43, Bibby Factors Ltd Security (Rec Park 3d Security 30.1.17-26.2.17) £216.00, S Greenhalgh (PIP Reimb for 2 BIIAB APLH Training places for PIP) £370.80, Maypole Manufacturing Ltd (2 Bus Shelters on A38 Adsborough) £8,798.40,  Ben Crofts (Youth Consultation event for NH Plan 13 2 2017 Activities) £320.00, WYG (NH Plan Planning Consultants fees 1.12.16 to 11.2.17)£1,468.38, TDBC (Preapplication Advice on Adj field to Rec Park)£290.40, Oneline Surveys (Empty Septic at Rec Park 10.2.2017) £120.00, Exmoor Luxury Loos (20% Dep for Toilet Hire for PIP 8 7 2017)£180.00.  (2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; None

(3) Cheques drawn since last meeting; To report a payment to B Gas Electricity at Pavilion 7-1-17 to 6-2-17

£155.17 (as previously agreed). (4) Cheques cancelled since last meeting. Lazy Ricks £210.00 (Youth NH Plan event). (5) Authorisation to make payments before the next meeting. B Gas (Electricity at Pavilion 6-1 to 7-2-17). (6) Precept. The Clerk explained that when the PC agreed no increase in its precept at its January meeting he had minuted the PC budgeted income and expenditure figures. As there was a requirement to record the precept figure he  advised that figure is £42.30 p.a (81 pence pw) for a band ‘d’ property which raises £46,164.95 for CSM PC in the new year.

 

17/57. Recreation Park.

(1) Update report. SH reported that damage had been done to the Pavilion toilet overnight by vandals and he offered to help the caretaker repair it. PCllrs expressed their frustration at why someone would wish to damage their own Communities PC.

 

 

(2) Annual Independent Safety Inspection. It was agreed to use the Somerset Playing Field Association arrangements for the AISI at a cost of £80 to be undertaken in May.

 

(3) TME. The Clerk explained that TME had operated at the Rec Park since 2010 without a lease in place. The Council Solicitors had advised that this situation should be regularised and how to proceed; the Council had agreed to a new lease which has now been issued and effective from October. The Parish is increasing in size (no of Parishioners) and the PC has a desire to provide additional and different activities for villagers and children such as additional play equipment and other family beneficial facilities at the Rec Park. The request from TME to speak at the APM was considered and agreed to, subject to a max 10 min limit.

 

(4) Development.  The Clerk advised that the agents for the adjacent landowner had advised that his Client is not prepared to refund to the Council what has been paid to his firm in fees in the event of the PC purchasing the land and that the reimbursement in respect of his valuation charges has to be stand-alone, irrespective of whether the PC buys the land or not. The Chair advised that he had spoken to TDBC planners who had advised that they were prepared to give pre planning application advice for a fee of £290.40. It was agreed that the PC obtain that advice before proceeding further. Action. Chair with others available to meet planners to receive pre planning application advice.

 

17/58. Party in the Park 8th July 2017.

A budget for the event had been previously circulated and was accepted. Adrian Birch advised that invites had been sent to prospective stall holders and activities booked for the children. 3 food operators had already confirmed. The premises licence application had been submitted and the compare booked for the afternoon (DF). The next working party meeting is on Thursday 9th March. SH advised that he had resigned from the PIP working party.

 

17/59. Highways.

(1) Defects reported. The Clerk advised that he had asked for the white lining ahead of the 2nd river bridge and the pinch points be redone as they had faded and he had reported that the surface adjacent to the ironwork in the road at the junction of St Michaels Rd and Bull Street is in need of attention.

 

(2) Dillions Road. KR advised that the pothole still existed. The Clerk confirmed he had reported it to SCC Highways.

 

(3) DF advised that the pavement between the Vets and Hyde Lane Bus Shelter had been inspected and that along with West View are not yet at the condition where they needed to be relaid but that SCC Highways were looking to do these areas in the next financial year.

 

(4) Hollingsworth Estate Speed Calming. The Clerk advised he had made enquiries of SCC Highways as the speed calming that forms part of the planning permission had yet to be installed. In reply he had been advised that the scheme is currently under review and that no further information was available at this time.

 

(5) Lipe Lane. KR raised making Lipe Lane more resilient to flooding suggesting either larger ditches or raising the road height. Action. DF agreed to raise with SCC

 

(6). Canal Bridge. DF advised that the danger posed by the trees growing forcing pedestrians further into the road had been raised with the Canal and Rivers Trust.

 

(7) Langaller. The Clerk advised that he had reported the flytipping at Langaller as requested.

 

17/60. Footpaths

(1) The Parish Council agreed to support Ms Diana Eubank Scott nomination to SCC ROW as Asst Path Liaison Volunteer.

 

(2) Fred A’ Court, the Vol Parish Footpath Officer had provided another detailed report of issues he had indentified and reported to SCC ROW which the Clerk had circulated prior to the meeting to PCllrs. A discussion took place who was setting up a skateboard ramp across the ROW at Ryesland Way but no one knew.

 

(3) Dog Mess. The problem of owners not clearing up after their dogs was discussed as the school children had walked

Mess into the school necessitating cleaning of the carpets at cost to the school and the effort to prevent repetition. SG highlighted further mess on the WM relief road.

Action. Clerk to circulate a map to PCllrs in order that at the next meeting the preferred siting of two new dogbins  for outside the School and the Park be agreed.

 

17/61. Correspondence. None raised.  

 

17/62. New Matters to be carried forward. TDBC Cllr Roger Habgood (Portfolio Holder) to be invited to talk about the naming of the urban extension and the Police to be requested to attend.

 

17/63. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press from this point on the grounds that personal information is to be discussed. 

The meeting was closed at 9pm.

 

Future Meetings;

The CSM Neighbourhood Plan Panel will meet on Thursday 9th,  Tuesday 14th and 28th March all at 6.30pm

The next Parish Council meetings will be held at 7pm on Monday 3rd April and on Monday 8th May 2017.

The Annual Parish Meeting (APM*) will be held on Friday 21st April 7pm for 7.30pm.

All in the Lower Cttee Room, CSM Village Hall with the exception of the APM* meeting which will be in the Main Hall.                                                                                    

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net