/ Parish Council / Minutes / 7th October 2019




CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 7th October 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), B Brighton, N Davidson, L Gates, A Gunstone and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, SWTCllrs D and K Durdan. Two Members of the Public.


19/186. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all.


19/187. Apologies. Apologies were given by PCllrs S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), P Brown, C Cudlip and their reasons given were accepted and whilst apologies were also given by PCllr Y Guest that she was working they was not accepted. Also absent was PCllr G Berryman. It was agreed that in considering co-optee’s in future that attendance at two PC meetings ahead of a decision be required in order to ensure those interested were fully appreciative of the role of PCllr (bar elections).

Action. The Clerk was asked that when a PCllr could not attend a panel meeting of which they are a member that other PCllrs be informed and invited to attend in their place.


19/188. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. ND regarding items Planning item 19/193 (2) 14/19/0028 and item 19/192 Canal Carpark (19/160). ND left the room for the Planning item and did not take part on the discussions on either item. SH regarding items 19/205 and Caretaker. He did not take part in discussions nor were there any decisions taken on these.


19/189. County Councillors’ Report. DF;

(1) Measles: Highlighted the importance of vaccination and having both doses in order to protect from this highly infectious viral illness that can be very unpleasant and can lead to serious complications. Those people who missed out on getting the vaccine or the second dose are urged to make an appointment now to get vaccinated. For more information, visit www.nhs.uk/conditions/measles

(2) School places: SCC are now accepting applications for school places for 2020. The deadline for secondary school places is 31 October 2019 and for Primaries the 15 January 2020. SCC encourages everyone to submit three preferences, including their local school. In recent years, some applications have only included one preference for a non-local school and if demand is high for that single school, it can mean that students and parents have to wait longer for a confirmed placement at a different school, making the experience more stressful. www.somerset.gov.uk/education-and-families/apply-to-start-school

(3) New school openings: two new schools open their doors in Taunton in September, the £8.5m Hazelbrook campus at Selworthy Special School and the new £7.3m Nerrols Primary school, creating 500 new school places. The state-of-the-art new campus at Selworthy will offer 80-100 places for local secondary age pupils with a wide range of Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities.

(4) Libraries: Over 7,000 children visited Somerset libraries to take part in 'Space Chase' - this year's national Summer Reading Challenge inspired by the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. Children signed up to read up to six books over the summer and over 160,000 books were issued. Other activities were also offered.

(5) Fostering. Over the next few weeks information events about Fostering opportunities are being held in Yeovil, Shepton Mallett and Bridgwater, kindly supported by Costa Coffee. More information can be found at www.fosteringinsomerset.gov.uk

(6) Enterprise centres: Two new business enterprise centres; Cathedral Park, Wells and at Wiveliscombe have £2m construction work now underway. The aim is for both to be open next Spring. All of Somerset 7 centres provide modern, accessible space for small/growing businesses - something that can be hard to find in rural areas. They offer flexible tenancies, superfast broadband, business networking, access to support and competitive rents.

(7) Gritting routes: SCC has confirmed it will make available an additional £200,000 for the highway winter service to fund additional routes and activities. CSM (St Michael Road) has been reinstated as part of 900 miles of road which will be treated when ice or snow is forecast. SCC operate 23 gritting lorries, running out of five depots.

(8) Grit Bins: Parish Council are being asked to check their grit bins and to let SCC know by 31st October if they need filling.

(9) Opposite Sex Civil Partnerships: Somerset's Registration Service is ready and waiting for couples wishing to tie the knot through a new 'opposite sex civil partnership' next year. Couples interested in booking a ceremony in 2020 following the change of Government legislation which will make civil partnerships available to opposite as well as same sex couples should contact somersetregistrations@somerset.gov.uk


19/190. District Councillors’ Report. DD/KD advised of;

(1) North End. A blocked drain on the Creech Heathfield Road.

Action. Clerk to inform SCC Highways.

(2) SWTC By Election. A recent by election had been held in Norton Fitzwarren.

(3) Mill Lane. DD had visited Deane House to report the issue. See item 19/192 (19/169).

(4) Rockett’s Close. A long running dispute between two Neighbours. The Clerk advised he had been contacted

by one resident and that he had written giving them SWTC Housing and Gas Emergency contact numbers.

(5) Rockett’s Cottages. A parent continues to park outside the Cottages which are owned by SWTC. Neighbour has reported to Police who have spoken to the individual. School have also engaged. It is for SWTC to take action if persists or Police if abuse is given to residents.

Action. Clerk to ask DWH when the car park at rear of School will be released to the school to use.

(6) The Brewhouse. In response to a question asking what SWTC are doing with the Brewhouse KD advised that the SWTC Council was considering that at it at their meeting on the 9th Oct.


19/191. Minutes of the 2nd September Mtg (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the 2nd September meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/192. Matters arising from the minutes of the 2nd September.

16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. Clerk having visited following further complaints had found no real improvement in the vegetation either side of the fencing despite the owners (TDBC) previous commitments to improve over time. Clerk has raised with SWTC and as a result Steve Fletcher from the DLO is inspecting the site next week (wb 7/10) and will then advise what is to be done.


Whilst onsite the Clerk also examined the canal bank at Derham Close. He had contacted Larkfleet developers who have advised as there is no fencing, they have decided to leave vegetation insitu as a precaution against children entering the canal and that the bank will become the responsibility of a management co shortly (upon leaving site). The Clerk has raised with both Planning and Developers that the PC wishes the bank to be cleared, tidied and grassed to the water’s edge ahead of their leaving the site and had requested a Lifebuoy. No replies have been received from either and reminders have been sent.


16/221. Flood Group. ND reported that he had met with Ruishton Flood Group and they had explained that they would support CSM in the establishment of a similar Group but did not wish to work jointly.


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if SWTC grant programme is available and await a reply.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply. The Clerk having reminded RofW and with no reply had whilst attending a meeting with HE on 24 9 19 the Clerk raised with HE representatives direct who undertook to examine and come back to the Clerk and as result they have reassured the Clerk as at the 4 10 19 this is still being actively considered.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received, he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. As a reply is still awaited, he had written again asking how this is being taken forward. Clerk raised with SCC highways at a meeting on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to ask colleagues and advise and also with WM PC who accept a joint voice will more impact.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Two volunteers having come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC and a SCC training course attended on 24th May. Upto £250 funding agreed. A update report from Volunteers had been received. It was agreed Expenses upto £250 would be reimbursed and that the volunteers could get quotes (without giving commitment) from contractors to enable PC to decide which are paint or repaired (if any). These are awaited.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park and it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in. Clerk also suggested “Access only when open (or similar) signs” as youths are entering when closed.


19/29. Arundels Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote for a new board. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers.


19/85. Highways M5 Junc 25. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough. A meeting was held with SCC highways on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to put counters in and to advise. SCC have advised that they have data on all the sites requested. Advices awaited.


19/160. Canal Carpark. The Clerk advised Porter Dodson Solicitors had been instructed to handle the purchase on behalf of the PC and their further advices are awaited. Clerk having chased both SCC and PD reported he had established it was with PC solicitors and is receiving attention.


19/161. Technology (1) Village Hall Cartwright Rm/PC. SH/PB/CC/Clerk had met with Richard Harris and Derrick King of the VHall Committee plans to install Wi-Fi and a hearing loop were welcomed and a smart speaker is planned for the main hall. As either a wall mounted smart screen or projector is envisaged for the Cartwright Room the merits of these were discussed. Further discussions are to take place.

(2) Conference System. Given its non-use, the requirement to set up and dismantle for each use and its limited success the Clerk suggested that its sale be considered. It was agreed to consider a sale at the next meeting (now

Nov mtg).

19/163. Website Bios. PCllrs were reminded to submit a Bio to the Clerk.

19/169. Mill Lane. Problems with heavy traffic using the Mill Lane had been reported. The Clerk had written referring this matter to the SWTC Planning Enforcement Officers to review and await their advices. He also written to the Traffic Commissioners in Bristol and though they have acknowledged receipt of their letter have yet to reply. They've been asked who is permitted to operate cranes from Mill Lane. A PCllr has visited Mill Lane to establish signing and who appears to be operating cranes. The Clerk also contacted SCC in order to establish the extent of the public highway (they advised very little) and SWTC Legal who have advised they don’t own any of the estate or roads and have not for years since they sold the Mill Lane Estate. SWTC Enforcement have allocated case ref E/0150/14/19 and have spoken to the Clerk 4 10 19 to advise that they are researching the planning history of the site and have contacted the Crane Company who had advised they had brought the site in good faith three years previously and seen their use as similar to existing. SWTC Enforcement decision is awaited.


19/178. Village Hall Staging. On learning of the Village Hall Cttees plans to sell a stage CC had expressed his view that this should not be lost to the Parish. SG suggested that an offer be made to stow the stage in the container or perhaps one of the buildings at the Rec Park. PB/CC have done this (with no cash offer) and the VHall Cttees decision is awaited. CC had suggested that the PC decide if its prepared to buy and to agree a sum at the PC mtg. CC has also indicated if the PC offer is declined, he would make a personal offer. The Clerk has asked the VHall Cttee Chair for their decision and this is awaited.

Action. It was agreed that the Clerk advise the VHall Cttee that they were asking residents for money when the item had been provided for the communities’ benefit and to reconfirm that the PC offer was to store it free at the Rec Park.


19/180. (2) Ham Bridge. SCC has agreed to provide a sign on their bridge this autumn.


19/193. Planning. (1) Non material Planning Applications. It was noted that the following decisions had been made without consultation by SWTC officers; this was discussed. The Clerk explained that he had been advised by Planning Managers that these had been deemed non material. He had responded strongly that the PC expects all decisions to be advised but to no avail.

Date

Ref

Application

Decision

27.6.19

14/19/0020/NMA

Non/material amendment to application 14/18/0015 to relocate rooflight on Plot 3 and reduce height of stone wall to east boundary of Plot 1 at The Bartons, St Michael Road, Creech St Michael

Decision of Conditional Approval was made on 25/07/2019.

23 7 19

14/19/0022

Erection of 1 No. tool shed and 1 No. flight pen for birds on land opposite Broomhay, White Street, Ham

Decision of Conditional Approval was made on 06/09/2019

29 7 19

14/19/0026/AGN

Prior notification for the construction of an agricultural access track on land off Vicarage Lane, CSM

Decision of Prior Approval Approved (No Conditions) was made on 14/08/2019

(2) Planning applications. The following observations were agreed by the PC;

Date

Ref

Application

Decision

22.8.19

14/19/0028

Erection of single storey extension to side of Cathill Farm, Foxhole (amended scheme to 48/18/0034)

To SUPPORT

10.9.19

14/19/00030/NMA

Non-material amendment to planning application No. 14/19/0005 to install 1 No. fire door and 1 No. roller shutter door at Somerset Caravans, Walford Cross

To SUPPORT

23.9.19

14/19/0032


Erection of extension to rear, replacement of carport with detached garage and erection of front boundary wall at Winnats, North End, CSM (resubmission of 14/19/0013)

To SUPPORT

(3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. The draft Minutes of the NH Plan Panel of 17th Sept (Previously circulated) were noted. The referendum on the Plan is to be held by SWTC on 10th October in the Village Hall. The Banners agreed to by PCllrs are in place and leaflets to be delivered in the week before by 14 volunteers have been designed, printed and distributed. It was noted that the SWTC staff stay on after the polling station closes to undertake the count and to announce the result. The result will be announced on the SWTC website and the Clerk informed the next day. If supported the plan will then go to SWTC for their agreement.

Action. The Clerk to ask if observers are permitted to observe the Count. (Clerks note 2 Cllrs permitted-CC & BB).


(4) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. The draft Minutes of the Joint Plan Panel of 26th Sept (previously circulated) were noted. Agreement had been reached on the Terms of Reference with WM PC. Progress on development of a masterplan has been slow and PCllrs expressed their desire for greater consultation. The Clerk had been tasked with writing to SWTC on these and other points. A further meeting is to take place on 7th Nov.


(5) Taunton Garden Town. The Clerk is to attend the RIBA design charrette being held on the 9th October.


19/194. Finance. (1) Payment of the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments and the Clerks September Expense’s £118.53 and Caretakers Expenses) £105.40 along with other invoices received C Cudlip (Reimb for door lock, safety sign and a deadbolt £36.67, CSM Village Hall (August Hire) £18.00, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security Rec Park 26 8-22.9.19) £268.80, Nigel’s Window Cleaning (5 Bus Shelters 5 9 19) £75.00, K Signs (SW) Ltd (two NH Plan Ref Banners and stickers) £132.00, QSPrinters (NH Plan Printing Leaflets) £60.00, Sutcliffe’s Play South West (Play Equipment project instalment 3) £74,000.00, J&J Miller (Removal of wooden fencing from Rec Park) £240.00 were authorised.


(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; SWTC (2nd Half of Precept) £26,403.45, SWTC

(1st Reimbursement net of S106 monies for Rec Park works) £58,333.33, SWTC (2nd Reimbursement net of S106 monies for Rec Park works incl MUGA supply) £62,223.00. Creech Flower show (Donation to CSM Youth Club) £250.00, British Gas (Final Pavilion Electricity Acc - refund of reduction of charges £11.14, Somerset Lottery (Proceeds £4.00).

(3) Payments authorised to be paid when due; Sutcliffe’s Play South West (Rec Park Improvement Work-Remainder of stage payments as due, CYP (Items for youth club funded by Flower Show £250/Remainder of PC Grant £70), SCC/Porter Dodson Solicitors (Canal carpark purchase sum and legal costs, Grant 4 Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village (and further 4 Ham Road funded by WW) £120, EDF (Pavilion Electricity) £30.00DD EDF Engine Shed £10 DD.

(4) Payments made upon receipt since last meeting as authorised. Lightmain (MUGA supply) £44,667.60, Sutcliffe’s Play SW (Play Equipment instalment 2) £30,000.00, EDF (Pavilion Elect) £30, EDF (Garage Elect) £8.

(5) Banking. Problems have been experienced with the new online account which has been opened with Lloyds are slowly being overcome. It was agreed to have PCllrs ND, AG and PT as additional PCllrs as signatories.

(6) Insurance Claim. Following the burglary at the Engine Shed and Ticket Booth in the Rec Park overnight on the 18th Sept almost all of the Party in Park day equipment was stolen. The burglary has been reported to the Police (who have visited and issued a crime number), a claim submitted to Zurich (the PC Insurers) and a meeting held with their loss Adjustor. The LA has agreed to recommend payment in full for the contents and almost all the cost of building damage reinstatement less the policy excess. It was agreed not to replace the stolen items immediately pending making improvements in security and completion of current works and to repurchase nearer the event. Installing CCTV to be examined and professional advice sought over recording.

(7) Risk Assessment of Assets. The Clerk explained that following the burglary and the NH Plan referendum he had paused the inspection but would recommence this the following week (w/b 14th).

(8) Energy. The electricity supply accounts are with EDF and both are paid by DD. The last bill from BGas was part paid and referred by the Clerk to the regulator. It was noted that BG should apologise to the PC and to halve the bills raised for the past three months. This led to a refund payable to the PC which has been received.


19/195. Rec Park. (1) To update. No operational issues reported (2) Improvements. (i) The project to provide an additional MUGA, lighting and additional play equipment incl levelling of park was progressing as planned with work being overseen by CC/SH and admin/finance by the Clerk. It was agreed the contractors should dig a deeper trench in order to install a tree root barrier whilst installing wiring at an additional cost of £2,700 to prevent further damage to the MUGA surfacing. To date the contractors have been paid £174k (ii) The plan to provide additional storage at the Rec Park by purchasing and siting a container has been delayed by the sellers having not emptied the container and with pending softening of the ground. (iii) to review the premises arrangements to establish the youth club at the Rec Park. The Village Hall Cttee has agreed to introduce a concessionary rate for the youth club to meet in the cartwright room there. It was agreed that the PC would meet this cost until the end of march and the young people would be involved in the planning of the developments at the engine shed.

AG raised a concern he had with one of the new pieces of equipment.

Action. Clerk to raise concern with suppliers.

(3) Burglary (18 9 19). See item 19/194 above. 10.4 Hiring Policy. The PC considered a draft policy (previously circulated) and agreed to implement. As Fees have yet to be determined it was agreed the policy could be issued to enquirers along with a caveat that charges have yet to be determined.

Action. Clerk to issue Rec Park hiring policy and to make enquiries re charging policies.


19/196. “Party in the Park”. SG had advised that the Senior Citizen’s Fish and Chip event would be on 24.1.20.


19/197. Highways. (1) Defects or Issues to be reported /considered. None. 12.2 A358 dualling. The Clerk having previously circulated a report on a non-statutory forum meeting held with Highway England on 24th Sept highlighted that the current focus was working towards appointing a design and build partner. This was due to take until spring 20 and then the chosen firm would be consulting on the detail’s issues surrounding the previously announced preferred route. It was also noted that the Govt had yet to allocate money to the A303 road duelling construction and that as Stonehenge section was seen as the routes priority until that was funded further sections were unlikely to proceed. The Clerk added that it was questioned that the two junctions on the Taunton stretch could not cope with the additional traffic. Further work would follow the completion of the existing J25 scheme.


19/198. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Defects/Issues. The Clerk had received a request that day to get hedgerows along the old Hyde Lane (now path) behind the school cut. He reminded PCllrs that the responsibility for this lay with the adjacent house and field owners. He had asked David Wilson Homes if they would cut and they had agreed they would this week. The Footpath Volunteers had advised they had a nil report this month.


19/199. Carey Grove Park. BB suggested that better use could be made of this space if it could be closed off and included in the Village Hall site, adding that it would increase hiring prospects for such events as wedding and family celebrations. LG advised the PC that when she chaired the VH Ctte they had looked at it but were told by SWTC that the play equipment has to be maintained and again about 6 months ago when the new play equipment was about to be installed to see if it could be more usefully sited within the park to facilitate wider usage their request was refused. The Clerk highlighted earlier PC discussions with the then TDBC who had offered to sell to the PC without any budget but they had insisted on it remaining a park, the PC replacing the play equipment and maintaining the site (which needed refencing and resurfacing). The PC at that time had decided not to proceed due to the likely costs. It was agreed to support the Village Hall Cttee if it wishes to take forward once again.




19/200. Website and standard email addresses for PC Emails. LG advised that she had made enquiries of

the existing provider and others about providing an improved website. A new website development would cost approx. £700 plus £15pcm for individual emails addresses for PCllrs and the Clerk. LG suggested that the PC needed to decide whether it wanted to maintain one website or separate websites for the village and the PC.

A discussion took place on the need for content copy and LG offered to utilise her web copywriter skills. BB suggested that posts to Facebook could be automatically loaded onto a website. The Clerk highlighted the need for a resilient provision. It was noted that the current providers desire and ability to provide needs to be determined and alternatives considered and that not all had yet replied.

Action. LG to take forward. An item for November meeting agenda.


19/201. Youth Club. See also item 19/195 (2) iii. The Clerk reported that membership had grown to 22.

Unfortunately, the asst leader is to leave shortly due to relocation. The position had been advertised by CYP with closing date of 11th Oct and interviews are scheduled for 22nd October. A donation had been received from the Creech Flower Show of £250. The panel is to meet next on 19th November.


19/202. 2020 Meeting Dates. The dates below were agreed for meetings in 2020.


19/203. Correspondence. None were raised;


19/204. Items for the next meeting. Recording mtgs, sale of conference system, website and putting in place standard email addresses for the PC.


19/205. Allotments. The Clerk confirmed that the Allotment Society had signed and returned their agreement with the PC and confirmed that payment was being processed. The site owner had been paid by the PC and had previously advised he wished to consult his solicitor before signing the draft lease. A reminder has been given.


The meeting was closed at 9.15pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net


Future Meetings; The next CSM PC mtgs are on Nov 4th and 2nd Dec at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall.


2020 CSM PC - Agreed meeting dates;


Jan 6th

Feb 3rd

March 2nd

April 6th

May 4th (Annual Council Meeting)

June 1st

July 6th

August 3rd (Planning) - provisional

Sept 7th

Oct 5th

Nov 2nd

Dec 7th

Annual Parish Meeting: April 24th Friday

(Main Hall)

Cartwright Rm (bar APM)