/ Parish Council / Minutes / 6th June 2022



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes for the Ordinary Meeting of Creech St Michael Parish Council [CSMPC] held at Creech St Michael Village Hall on Monday 6th June 2022 at 7:00pm

Councillor Attendance

Cllr. Annabelle Peters – Chair

AP

present

Cllr. Diane Phillips

DP

present

Cllr. Neil Davidson

ND

present

Cllr. Kenneth Hunt

KH

present

Cllr. Paul Tucker

PT

present

Cllr. David Griffin

DG

present


Also Present: County Cllr. David Fothergill Somerset County Council (SCC), 6 members of the public and Andrew Williams, CSM Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer.

Meeting started at 7:00pm

Chair’s welcome:

AP welcomed all Councillors and visitors to the meeting and expressed her hope that everyone had enjoyed the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations.

Public Question time - Questions asked by the Public and Press will be noted.


Mr James Lyfield of LSL Architecture Ltd spoke in support of planning application 14/22/0022 to be considered by councillors later in the meeting. He confirmed that he had consulted with Gareth Clifford, Senior Planning Officer at Somerset West and Taunton Council to confirm that this application was in line with planning policy DM2. The application is a resubmission of an earlier application that had been amended in response to comments from councillors and others to ensure it met with the requirements of policy DM2.


Mr John Sloan, the applicant of planning application 14/22/0022 spoke in support of the application. Mr Sloan expressed his concern that the change proposed in the new application from residential development to holiday let development could have an impact on local traffic levels as there could be a higher volume of movements as visitors come and go. He also expressed a desire that the development be a permanent residential development as it could benefit the local community and residents.

To receive any apologies for absence - There were no apologies.

Declarations of Interests:


4.1 Declarations of Individual Members

Cllr. Davidson - confirmed a conflict of interest - pecuniary interest in the Canal car park.


4.2 Dispensation Request - None


DG joined the meeting at 7.08pm

To receive County and District Councillors’ Reports


Cllr. David Fothergill provided the following items as an update.

  • Confirmed that following the recent elections, the Council is progressing the process of transition to a unitary authority, scheduled to take place on the 1st of April 2023.

  • Primary school admissions. 98.62% of children were granted one of their first three choices and 93.4% of children were granted their first choice school.

  • The winter gritting fleet has been stood down. The fleet had treated 900 miles of roads on 59 occasions using 5,500 tonnes of salt.

  • A two-week child safety promotion would be running to promote a reduction in accidents in the home. More information https://somersetnewsroom.com/2022/05/30/10-top-tips-with-child-safety-in-mind/

  • A new smoking cessation scheme, aimed at pregnant women has been launched. More information https://somersetnewsroom.com/2022/05/24/lets-kick-it-together-family-support-to-quit-smoking-in-pregnancy/

  • The Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme has restarted after a two-year absence. 2,649 people had registered to participate from across the county. This includes 533 disadvantaged pupils.

  • Blood pressure machines are available from the main library in Taunton and can be hired for use at home.

  • An update on Ukrainian refuges will be provided to the Clerk & RFO.

  • KH asked Cllr. Fothergill about local councils who had failed to recruit adequate numbers of councillors and that as a council they could approach Somerset County Council with assistance for a new election. In response Cllr. Fothergill confirmed that if a parish council found that it was not quorate then this had to be reported to the district council who would appoint councillors to ensure that the council was quorate.

Minutes - to approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 16th May 2022 and those from the extraordinary meeting held on the 25th May 2022.


All present confirmed that they had received the minutes of the meeting held on 16th May 2022 and those from the extraordinary meeting held on the 25th May 2022.


Cllrs. agreed the minutes of the 16th of May 2022. The Chair signed a copy of the minutes for the records.


Prop:

DP

Sec: PT

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0


Cllrs. agreed the minutes of the 25th of May 2022. The Chair signed a copy of the minutes for the records.


Prop:

ND

Sec: DP

In Favour: 5

Against:

0

Abstain:

1

Last Meeting Action Points - from the minutes of the meeting held on 16th and 25th May 2022.

  • 16.05.22 item 60. Councillors to read the model Standing Orders document from NALC – covered later in the agenda.

  • 16.05.22 item 65. A member of the public mentioned the warning lights near the school not working and having been dysfunctional for a long time. Also the trees are covering the signage and he was concerned for the children nearby the school. Cllr. Tucker agreed the signage would benefit from being moved more towards the edge of the road. Cllr. Fothergill to report the issue. Cllr Fothergill confirmed that the issue was investigated by SCC Highways w/c 30.05.2022 and the potential movement of the sign and warning lights is being considered.

  • 16.05.22 item 65. A member of the public reported an overgrown hedge over a footpath (St Michaels Road, by the bus stop at the top). Action: Cllr. Peters to write to the homeowner requesting they cut the hedge. PT reported that he believed the issue with the overgrown hedge had been addressed by the homeowner cutting it back.

  • 16.05.22 items 68 & 69. Make arrangements for the establishment or review of the Council’s complaints procedure and Council’s policy for dealing with the press/media. Cllr. Peters to ask Steve Altria if CSMPC has either of these – Steve is not aware of one, need to ensure not in SO in the future. AP confirmed that the policies do not currently exist. AP to investigate further and seek guidance on the creation of the policies.

  • 16.05.22 item 18. Mr. Greenhalgh asked whether the PC had applied for A&S Police funds to buy two SIDS. Cllr. Brown responded that he would take the matter forward urgently. Cllr. Brown to follow it up. As Cllr. Brown is no longer a member, Clerk & RFO to follow up on issue with Avon & Somerset Police.

  • 04.04.22 item 30. Proposal for Ladies Only Walking Football use of MUGA at £15 per hour. Cllr. Peters to check with Cllr. Gover if a schedule is being created. Women’s walking football group starting w/c 06.06.22 and using the MUGA. A schedule had been received and invoice raised for the fees.

  • 04.04.22 item 33. Steve Altria to put in a claim to the insurance company for the fallen notice board on Arundells Way. Steve has requested the information be sent to him i.e. date, pictures, exact location etc. Clerk TE has sent Steve a notice board quote. Now with Clerk AW. Insurance claim for the noticeboard in Arundells Way has been submitted and quotes for the replacement notice board have been obtained. See item 114.

  • Clerk to inform SW&T Planning and Licensing of the CSMPC comments – Done, no further action.

  • CSMPC to form a new planning applications panel - done, no further action.

  • Clerk to check the reimbursement for Sarah Elliot. – In the June payments.

  • Rec Park Toilets Vandalism – Steve to check if this can be claimed on the insurance – Clerk TE requested details from the Rec park panel to report to the police. Clerk AW has reported this to the police.

  • CSMPC to organise Adrian Birch and volunteers to paint the wall - A group of volunteers has been formed to deal with the graffiti on the Engine Shed building wall.

  • Clerk to organise the briefing meeting – ongoing.

  • 16.05.22 item 82. Affordable Housing – Email from Kevin Ferriday, Vice-Chair, Nether Stowey Parish Council. Proposed to respond to join and support the forum. AP confirmed that an email to Nether Stowey had been sent and the Council’s support had been given.

  • 16.05.22 item 83. Love Musgrove Launches 25th Anniversary Appeal – Action: Clerk to organise the donation – Donation of £150.00 to Love Musgrove in the process of being paid.

  • 16.05.22 item 86. Civility and Respect Email - Consider writing a letter of support. AP confirmed that she will send a response to the request for support for the civility and respect agenda.

  • 16.05.22 item 90. ND to ask Charlie Cudlip to look at the repairs that are needed to the bench at North End.

  • 16.05.22 item 91. Adrian Birch and Jan King to work together to organise the audio/visual equipment in the Cartwright Room as soon as possible. Equipment to be installed on the 25th of July. As a result, the equipment will be available to the Council at the August meeting. See item 116.

  • 25.05.22 item 5.1. Clerk & RFO to complete a bank mandate to make changes to access to the bank account. In hand.

  • 25.05.22 item 5.4. Cllr. Davidson and AW to sign the Annual Governance Statement - Done, no further action.

  • 25.05.22 item 5.4. Clerk and RFO to publish the Notice of Public Rights and Publication of Unaudited AGAR within the required timescales - Done, no further action.

  • 25.05.22 item 5.6. Clerk and RFO to add Cllr. Griffin as a signatory to the bank account. To be completed when the current changes to the account are complete.

Planning Applications - To consider the following application/s.


Application Reference

Description


14/22/0023

Erection of 1 No. detached dwelling (Plot 1) with associated works at 1 Highfield Paddocks, on land to the west of Highfield House, Hyde Lane, Creech St Michael (resubmission of 14/21/0026)


Decision

The Council wish to refer to comments made relating to the application 14/21/0026 as there seemed to be no material change between the original application and this new application.

Original comments.

OBJECT

1) The site is outside of the development limits. As the site is in the countryside Policy DM2 applies. 2) The Right of Way response is clear in terms of advice about potential impact on T32/6 and T 10/25.


Prop:

ND

Sec: DP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0


Application Reference

Description


14/22/0022

Conversion of barns into 2 No. holiday lets with demolition of agricultural structures and associated works at Charlton Coach House, Charlton Road, Creech Heathfield (resubmission of 14/22/0008)


Decision

SUPPORT.

Whilst recognising the applicants desire to build residential properties, the Council supports the plan to build properties that will be available for holiday rental, as this will bring some economic benefit to the community.


Prop:

PT

Sec: AP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0



104.

Finance - To agree the monthly payments in the Financial Transaction Report (circulated in advance of the meeting)

6th June 2022 CSM PC Meeting – Financial Transactions Report



Bills to consider for payment

Detail

Payment type/Cheque no

Amount (inc VAT)

S Altria

May

Cheque

490.80



 

 

Payments made

Detail

Payment

Amount

(L=Lloyds Acc)

(incl VAT)

EDF

Pavilion Electricity

LDD

46.00

EDF

Engine Shed electricity

LDD

17.00

Utilia

Pavilion Gas

Cheque

3.60

K Hutchings

Caretaker's salary May

Standing Order

502.67

T Ely

Clerks May Salary, April Overtime

Cheque

639.47

T Ely

Clerks May Expenses

Cheque

91.50

T Ely

Microsoft 365 Subscription

Cheque

59.99

A Williams

Clerk's May Salary

Cheque

475.64

A Williams

Clerk's May Expenses

Cheque

49.90

HRMC

Tax on salaries April

Cheque

97.20

T Trump

Caretaker cover 2 5 22

Cheque

12.00

T Trump

Caretaker cover 15th 18th-22ndApril 22

Cheque

84.00

J Larcombe

Fees for completion of internal audit work

Cheque

90.45

S Elliott

Reimb Rec Park Survey Costs

cheque

192.00

Lloyds Bank

Charges (9th March 2022 to 10th April)

LDD

7.00

Zurich Insurance PLC

Insurance 19 7 22-18 7 23

Cheque

3,385.47

Reflections Window Cleaning Service

Bus Shelter Cleaning

Cheque

75.00

Reflections Window Cleaning Service

Bus Shelter Cleaning

Cheque

75.00

Love Musgrove

Donation

Cheque

150.00





Payments already approved to pay on receipt of invoices;

Those on the Annually approved list of routine payments [see minute 19/216 (7i)] as listed overleaf.

Recruitment of New Clerk/Locum Costs As delegated to Personnel Sub. Rec Park Improvement Work

Ground Works budget



Grant 4 Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village (and further 4 Ham Road funded by WW) £120








Income since last meeting

Detail

 

Amount

SW Lottery

Proceeds

L Online

8.00

Tone Youth FC

Pitch Hire Fees

L Online

100.00

Andrew Williams




Clerk & RFO CSM PC 6th June 2022











Prop:

DP

Sec: PT

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0

Receipt of nominations to existing committees.

- Volunteer to be the Bus Representative

KH to become the Parish Council’s nominee.


Prop:

ND

Sec: AP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0


- Proposed for Margaret Gover to be added to the Staffing Committee

The proposal was accepted.


Prop:

AP

Sec: DP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0


  • Need someone on rec park, breaking TOR

PT was nominated to join the Rec Park Panel.


Prop:

AP

Sec: DP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0

- Agree Panel/Committee spreadsheet

  • DG asked for clarification about the numbers of Councillors needed for each panel or sub committee. AP confirmed that it depended on the terms of reference (TOR) for each panel or sub committee.

  • DG expressed the importance of Councillors taking responsibility for populating the panels and sub committees.

  • PT referred to a request received to store the gardening equipment owned by volunteers within a PC building. Proposed to use the Engine Shed facility, but the arrangements for insurance need to be clarified.

Action: Clerk & RFO to contact insurers and seek clarity on the insurance arrangements.



Wessex Water/Flooding/Environmental Agency panel.

  • DG suggested that the PC looked to recruit a member of the Ham community to this panel.

Action: Cllr. Griffin and Cllr. Davidson to seek a nominee.



United Charities – rep. Clarity needed on whether further assistance needs to be provided to G Hodge.

Action: Cllr. Peters to contact G Hodge.


Committees, Panels and Working Groups - (reports circulated in advance of the meeting)

Canal Panel - ND


  • PT confirmed that new signage had been ordered and was awaiting delivery before installation.

  • PT reported that there was a need to change signage at the Canal Car Park to inform visitors of what action they should take if they find themselves locked in the car park. Contact needs to be made with 3D Security to make arrangements for a telephone service to notify panel members of any incidents where a visitor is locked in.

Action: PT to follow up with Charlie Cudlip on these matters.

Comms and Website working group - No report.

Community Grant Fund Panel - No report.

Rec Park Panel


  • AP reported that repair works to the toilets were on hold until such times as payments could be authorised. This is dependent on the completion of the bank signatory process.

Staffing Committee - No report.

Community Action Plan


  • AP had circulated the Community Action Plan (CAP) to all councillors.

  • ND and PT were unaware of the Canal weekend event referred to within the document. ND agreed to make this issue an agenda item at the next Canal Panel meeting.

  • AP identified the key objectives of the action plan.

  • AP requested that an event be considered and that it should be carried forward as an agenda item for the next meeting.

  • ND expressed his view of the importance of publishing these actions and the progress toward achieving them, so that the community were aware of the work being undertaken. AP confirmed that it was the intention to use a range of publications, as well as social media and the website, to do so.

  • ND shared the opinion of a parishioner who had expressed the need for the Parish Council to share more information on actions taken or planned to be taken, rather than reporting on aspirations. AP agreed and reinforced the importance of a plan to steer the way forward.

  • DP requested that a detailed calendar of events be provided so that all members of the community could plan ahead.

  • DG stressed the importance of councillors taking a lead in pursuing the actions within the plan and that it was incumbent on existing councillors to show leadership and lead by example in the implementation of the plan.

  • AP asked that all councillors review the document ahead of the next meeting and prepare comments and suggestions to aid the implementation of the plan.

  • A vote to approve the Community Action Plan was postponed until the next meeting.

Footpaths/Rights of Way


  • AP reported that Fred A'Court had reported difficulty in recruiting volunteers. An approach to other parishes had been made to request any available help from others to assist with path clearances and strimming.

  • Fred A’Court had reported that grass cutting by Somerset West and Taunton Council had recommenced. Although no evidence of this within the Parish has been seen to date.

  • Fred A’Court was attempting to recruit someone to clear the footpath from Bull Street to Ham as in was no longer accessible.

  • ND reported that he had held a discussion with Tom Trump about the use of his services to assist with a number of tasks, such as strimming and footpath clearance, around the Parish.

Action: ND to prepare a proposal for consideration by the PC for the next meeting.

Notice Boards - To choose from the quotes


Reference item 33 minutes of meeting 04.04.2022.

  • AP reported that permission to site the notice board at Ryesland Way has been received from Highways.

  • Two quotes for new notice boards had been received.

  • A member of the public asked for clarification on whether the notice boards would be available for use by the community. AP confirmed that it was the intention to move the large notice board, that is currently sited opposite the shop in Creech St Michael, to Arundells Way and this would be available for use by the community.

  • AP enquired whether the new notice boards were lockable.

Action: Clerk & RFO to contact the supplier to confirm the warranty on the products and whether the notice boards are lockable.

  • It was agreed that the quote provided by Earth Anchors Ltd for the green aluminium notice board with pinnable surface was the preferred option, subject to confirmation of the items above.

  • It was agreed that two notice boards (one double-door larger version and one single door) could be purchased subject to the cost falling within the agreed budget.


Prop:

AP

Sec: DP

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0

VH Surgery - Update and volunteer for April


  • AP expressed the importance of continuing with the regular surgery.

  • Volunteers were requested to attend the surgery at the Village Hall on the 18th of June 2022. ND and KH volunteered.

  • It was also noted that it would be sensible to also hold a surgery at the Rec Park. It was agreed that the next surgery would be held in the Village Hall.

Audio/Visual equipment for the Cartwright Room


  • Equipment to be installed on the 25th of July. As a result, the equipment will be available to the Council at the August meeting.

  • A contribution of £1,000.00 was previously agreed and would be paid to the Village Hall Committee.

Bin required at Arundells Way by the bench


  • AP confirmed that she had contacted the village shop to request that they reinstate the rubbish bin outside their premises, but hadn’t received a response.

  • AP had not yet obtained quotes for a bin for Arundells Way. AP asked if there was a preference for the type of bin to be installed. No preference was expressed, although Councillor Fothergill suggested contacting Somerset Waste Partnership as they could provide a range of bins for installation.

Arrangements for the review and adoption of appropriate standing orders


  • All present confirmed that they had received a copy of the revised standing orders.

  • The proposal was to upgrade the standing orders from the current version (published 2010) to a new version “Creech St Michael Model Standing Orders 2018 for England (revised 2020)”. The Clerk had made minor amendments to the new version, removing any items that were not relevant to the Council.

  • Both PT and DP confirmed that they had reviewed the document and did not have any concerns with adopting the new version.


Prop:

DP

Sec: DG

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0

Affordable Housing – Email from Kevin Ferriday, Vice-Chair, Nether Stowey Parish Council. Proposed to respond to join and support the forum.


  • Already dealt with under the actions from the previous meetings, item 7.

  • KH expressed his frustration with the use of the term “affordable housing”. KH felt that the term inaccurately described, what for many people, was housing that was unaffordable based on their economic standing.

  • The Clerk & RFO explained that in the original email message from Kevin Ferriday, he had requested our support for action that Nether Stowey Parish Council were pursuing, in respect of a developer who was attempting to reduce their commitment to building affordable housing within that parish.

  • It had been previously agreed that the Council would express their support for Nether Stowey Parish Council.

Make arrangements for the review of inventory of land and assets including buildings and office equipment.

  • Inventory audit not required at present.

  • To agree who is going to analyse and action the findings

  • Date for next inventory check - at least September, add pictures and “what three word” locations (or similar).


  • ND confirmed that historically, the responsibility for the asset register fell within the remit of the Finance Committee.

  • DG asked if it was a requirement for this to be completed and ND confirmed that the internal audit process would expect to see the register updated.

Action: The Finance Committee would review the register and allocate the tasks of updating the register.

Vacancies on the Parish Council

There are currently vacancies on the council. Anyone interested in becoming a Councillor is asked to contact the Clerk prior to June 6th and to attend the June meeting.

  • Candidates to introduce themselves

  • Councillors to ask candidates questions

  • Co-opt the vacant seats.


  • AP confirmed that there were currently five vacancies for the role of councillor and asked that if anyone had any nominations they should come forward. With the few numbers of current councillors it makes the work of the Council difficult to complete.

  • DG stated that he felt that it was incumbent on the current councillors to search people out and to encourage and persuade them on a personal level to consider joining the group.

  • It was agreed that Charlie Cudlip would be co-opted to the Council. Charlie Cudlip was not present at the meeting, but written confirmation of his willingness to be co-opted had been received by the Clerk.

  • A member of the public, Tina Greenhalgh, suggested that the Council go back to the people that had offered to be co-opted previously, to see if they were still interested. Tina Greenhalgh confirmed that she was not currently interested in being co-opted.

  • There were no persons present that wished to be co-opted.

  • DG suggested that the current members if the council should meet in private and identify potential candidates for co-opting and approach them.

  • KH reminded the meeting that in the past few weeks a number of councillors had stepped down for various reasons. He suggested that they be approached and asked if they would consider returning. DG suggested that these people be included within a broader discussion about potential candidates and AP expressed a wish to recruit new talent to the group.

  • AP stressed the need for the whole council to be involved in the recruitment process and to agree collectively on an approach.

  • KH expressed a need to be open and transparent about the recruitment process, so that the community was aware of the process. AP stressed the need for this to be done initially in private, so that all opinions could be aired.


Prop:

AP

Sec: PT

In Favour: 6

Against:

0

Abstain:

0

Correspondence - To consider any correspondence received that Cllrs. wish to raise that has already been circulated. [no resolutions can be made] - None.

New Matters to be carried forward - None.

Council to decide if to exclude Public and Press for these items - None.



The meeting ended at 8.37pm



Tamsin Ely, CSM PC, Assistant to the Clerk, 07708680797, Email clerk@creechstmichael.net

Andrew Williams, CSM PC, Clerk and RFO, 07866771627, Email clerkandrfo@creechstmichael.net



The next Creech St Michael (CSM) Parish Council meetings are on:

Monday 05 September 2022

at 7pm in the CSM Village Hall

Monday 03 October 2022

at 7pm in the CSM Village Hall

Monday 07 November 2022

at 7pm in the CSM Village Hall

Monday 05 December 2022

at 7pm in the CSM Village Hall



Page 7

Approved by Annabelle Peters (Chair) Date 12th July 2022